HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Speaking of Imagine Idylwyld, what's the overall update on this? According to the city's website, the last phase of planning took place in 2018. So much talk in this city but it feels nothing gets done.
Oh sweet summer child, at least you aren't in Regina.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Speaking of Imagine Idylwyld, what's the overall update on this? According to the city's website, the last phase of planning took place in 2018. So much talk in this city but it feels nothing gets done.
The Imagine Idylwyld project was approved, it just hasn’t been funded yet. Not sure where it is on the transportation groups list of priorities…hopefully it’s a project they plan on completing in the next few years.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:51 PM

According to the Transportation Master Plan it's the #3 transportation priority: https://www.saskatoon.ca/moving-arou...on-master-plan

I don't know where it's at with funding and timelines, but based on where the arena is speculated to go, I think it makes sense to rebuild Idylwyld as part of the entertainment district project, or at least wait until plans for that project are set so that we aren't making a major capital investment in the roadway that doesn't jive with the arena/convention centre plans.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddo View Post
Baydo finally posted about their new development in evergreen.

https://baydo.ca/our_projects/baydo-plaza/

Not much info about it at all.

I know phase 2 has started already, hole is dug, concrete is being poured there just about everyday. I'm told it will be 3 levels of underground parking plus 7 above ground floor. Phase 3 and 4 are scheduled to start later this year.
Can the Saskatoon skyline withstand another Baydo nondescript building?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 11:32 PM

I could care less what sort of abomination it builds in Evergreen or other suburbs. It shouldn't be allowed to build within 3km of downtown though.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
I could care less what sort of abomination it builds in Evergreen or other suburbs. It shouldn't be allowed to build within 3km of downtown though.
ok Ralph

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
I second this.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooblygobbler View Post
I second this.
Thirded. Baydo should be allowed to build all the Soviet styled buildings they want in the burbs but keep them away from downtown

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 4:24 AM

I see Ralphie has cloned himself with a couple of new usernames?

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
I see Ralphie has cloned himself with a couple of new usernames?
Ralph doesnt have the creative ability to think of such a username. Nice try though

@Moderator lets keep this discussion construction related?

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooblygobbler View Post
Ralph doesnt have the creative ability to think of such a username. Nice try though

@Moderator lets keep this discussion construction related?
Construction related? Well that removes all opinions then as they have nothing to do with construction.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:26 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
What are we looking at?

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domthic View Post
What are we looking at?
Pretty sure old MEC location

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:07 AM

Kelowna vs. Saskatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear1 View Post
I found this comment interesting. I'll start this by saying I've always considered Saskatoon as my home city, coming from a small town nearby. And I still frequent S'toon 2 to 3 times a year.

In Kelowna, a city half the size of Saskatoon, we currently have 12 towers in the development phase and 4 under construction. These range from 13 to 42 floors with most being in that 28 -32 range. City wide, I believe we have around 29 towers in development or under construction. Why so many? For this area, its land. Mountains and agricultural land box everything in so we can't do the urban sprawl that Saskatoon can.

There was an article in the Star Phoenix last year about DT S'toon being at a tipping point which spoke of services for less fortunate and overall housing need for everyone in the downtown core. The story also said that "Saskatoon dream" was to own a home and raise a family. My point here would be that it's not everyone's dream. I'm sure there a quite a few people who would love to live DT if there were options beyond rental or older condo style towers.

A number of years ago, the goal was to have 10k residing in the DT core. What projects have been approved or applied for that hasn't been torn to shreds by planning and or nimby's to the point a developer simply needs to walk away from the dream? I don't know, just asking and the Baydo Towers don't count as they would be in the City Park area and not a contributing number to the DT residing population.

River Landing is a great start to revive the core and if/when the arena moves the amount of people wishing to live closer to amenities or the after hour vibes that will grow will also increase. Google says the current population residing in the core is around 3,300 yet between 18K- 20K work downtown. Logic says alot of those workers would rather live closer to work than driving in from the "burbs" on a daily basis.

So back to the original comment from mitchellk12. My view is that not only can Saskatoon sustain a 30 storey tower, build one and more will quickly follow based off it's success. My only concern is that it appears most of the applications being made are for rental units. Build a few condo towers to allow pride of ownership start to grow DT.

Just some thoughts from an outsider.
Saskatoon's pallid downtown is definitely a shocker to newbies who come here expecting much more in the way of volume and height! It's probably not just planning and nimbyism responsible for this sad state of affairs, but also things like a not particularly entrepreneurial population. Hopefully, the climate is changing for the better with a new generation of developers coming from outside Toon Town interested in making over Canada's most wanting skyline.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:49 PM

Saskatoon- home of Canada's most wanting skyline! can be a t-shirt ! i hope pitchfork can make a go of it. please folks, go out and support. i'll get a ride and do it- hope they can. ill move dt if i can get a condo at suburban price. my yard is too much work now when i can have the riverbank. strange they price everyone to the outside

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:09 PM

This is a quick reminder that the public info session is tonight.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/555-...th-street-east

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 9:52 PM

Thanks....is there an actual link to the online event?

Edit: found it.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:55 PM

i emailed Mr. Charlebois the senior city planner with support for the project. there are no houses near this it won't ruin the character of nutana character houses but it sure will enhance the area with extra business-es, don't let the nimby's be louder please do your part

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 5:11 PM
danylo66

Did anyone in this group attend? I'm curious to hear about how the project was generally received?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
i emailed Mr. Charlebois the senior city planner with support for the project. there are no houses near this it won't ruin the character of nutana character houses but it sure will enhance the area with extra business-es, don't let the nimby's be louder please do your part

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan