HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
It replaces the former Misericordia School of Nursing.

https://imgur.com/laT5qut
Fun fact - there is a UofM Library in that building.

(Possibly not a really fun fact - maybe if you are an engineer. I'll go away now.)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:31 PM

^ Really? Which library?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:42 PM
the first stamp is free

"Misericordia Health Centre Library".

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:45 PM

Interesting. I was aware of the library in the Brodie Centre from having taken classes at that campus, but I didn't know about Misericordia. Interesting that it was U of M affiliated... sounds like a perfect study spot for any U of M students living in the WB/Wolseley area, or at least it will be until the wrecking ball demolishes it

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
U of M closed most of their hospital libraries a couple of years ago due to an inability to reach a funding agreement with the WRHA. This one was closed as part of that.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
U of M closed most of their hospital libraries a couple of years ago due to an inability to reach a funding agreement with the WRHA. This one was closed as part of that.
Huh. I was in there about 2 years ago. I must of made it in just in time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:48 AM
BANNED

I wish they would just build an addition to the parkade or purpose/build a tower on part of it. it's already connected to the hospital and backs onto the over care home

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 12:49 AM
BANNED

the parking lot on the NW corner of Furby and Sara is fenced off

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:01 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Fun fact - there is a UofM Library in that building.

(Possibly not a really fun fact - maybe if you are an engineer. I'll go away now.)
You could drop that building in the middle of the U of M and it would blend right in.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
That was my second guess!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:55 AM

Most of the hospitals had a u of m medical library. I believe most of them closed recently. I do know that the Bill Larson Library at Grace Hospital closed very recently.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:24 AM

With the right materials I think that new building will look great there. Hopefully those are CRUs on the main floor, or at the very least entrances (aka not a WRHA/United Way fortress like on Main).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Approval sought for West Broadway complex
Addition of 145 units would ease city's need for new housing, councillor says
Solomon Israell Posted: 07/8/2019 4:00 AM

A six-storey, 145-unit apartment complex planned for Winnipeg’s West Broadway neighbourhood could help fill a need for new housing in the city, a city councillor says.

The plan for the development at 206 Good St., between Broadway and Portage, will be voted on by the city centre community committee on Tuesday. The necessary zoning changes were approved earlier this year after receiving the green light from city planners.

"There hasn’t been really a substantial project like that in West Broadway since the 1980s, so that was an important moment," said Sherri Rollins, councillor for the Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry ward in which the development will be built.

"There’s a need for housing across Winnipeg, and for rental properties and for multi-family, and for newer housing stock and newer apartment stock... It’s been decades since we’ve seen some development and newer apartment stock here," Rollins added.

The apartments will be built by Springfield-based Ironclad Developments Inc., which has built a number of multi-family apartments in Winnipeg. The company’s design plan for Good Street focused on blending with the character of the neighbourhood, operations manager Doug McKay said on Ironclad’s behalf.

"It’s designed to not be a huge imposing presence on the street, but rather to be comprised of several smaller building forms," McKay said. "It focuses on Good Street, it has stoops out front so that it fits in well with the existing neighbourhood street pattern for this area and Wolseley."

Most apartment buildings in the area are either three-storey walk-ups or taller towers, McKay added.

"And we’re coming in right in between these. We’ve got a six-storey (building), so I think we’re fitting right comfortably into an open spot."

The future apartment complex will combine a strip of eight empty lots into a single lot running along the west side of Good Street for almost 400 feet. Planned amenities will include a secure underground parkade along with some surface parking, plus a business centre, a gym and a bike lock-up. McKay said Ironclad is considering a theatre room for residents.

"It’s a real nice community-builder amenity... To see a friendly face when you come through the door, so it feels like home, is a big goal of ours."

The upcoming apartment units will be mostly one- and two-bedroom suites, along with a smaller number of bachelor and three-bedroom units.

Exact rent prices have yet to be determined, McKay said, but the marketing term "affordable luxury" will likely apply.

Ironclad hopes to start construction by the end of this year, McKay said. If all goes as planned, the developer plans to have units for rent by the start of 2021. McKay said Ironclad expects strong demand for the new housing.

"We think that there’s all kinds of traffic generators — the University (of Winnipeg), we are walking distance to downtown, if anyone is into the cultural (attractions), we’re walking distance to the theatre at U of W and the Winnipeg Art Gallery complex, we’re walking distance to the legislative and the legal community... There’s a terrific variety of user groups there."
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...512336182.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:27 PM

^ The trend toward these super-long horizontal types of buildings is fine for Pembina or Sterling Lyon, but I'm not sure how much I like them in the inner city. I can live with it, but I don't think this is really ideal.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:32 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it will be "nestled" among the existing buildings on both sides of the street. I think it will look better in this context, versus the giant open field that the render seems to suggest.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:20 PM

Yeah, the neighbouring buildings and foliage should help in that respect.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:17 PM
surely you agree with me

I don't really see this....

"It’s designed to be comprised of several smaller building forms, "It focuses on Good Street, it has stoops out front so that it fits in well with the existing neighbourhood street pattern for this area and Wolseley."

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 8, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don't really see this....

"It’s designed to be comprised of several smaller building forms, "It focuses on Good Street, it has stoops out front so that it fits in well with the existing neighbourhood street pattern for this area and Wolseley."
"Stoops"? Clever marketing, but there's nothing at street level except the main entrance. The first floor balcony areas ("stoops"?) look like they're at least 7-8 steps up.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:55 PM
Ignore these four words.

Stairs to the first floor balcony does not a stoop make.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan