HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 6:14 PM

FOCUS ON MIDTOWN TORONTO: Eglinton and Yonge and beyond

Below is a quick 1.5 minute aerial tour of some of the nearly $6 Billion of construction/development underway in mid-town (focused on the Yonge and Eglinton skyline).

https://youtu.be/X-U7nNCvWmI"]https://youtu.be/X-U7nNCvWmI"]https://youtu.be/X-U7nNCvWmI
First Class Drones

Much of this unprecedented growth at “Yonge and Eligible” is driven by the new 19 kilometre Eglinton Crosstown LRT which will open soon (at a cost of $5.5 Billion).

1. Posted earlier, below is steveve’s future model showcasing all the u/c and in the pipeline projects for the Yonge and Eginton area.

steveve

2. The are also a number of other large emerging hi-rise clusters east of Yonge & Eglinton, closer to the Don Valley.

steveve

3. It’s likely there will eventually be a development boom to many areas to the west as well: a 9.2 kilometre western extension of the Crosstown LRT is now under construction which will extend the LRT to the edge of Mississauga,
where it connects with GO Transit, TTC and Mississauga Transit. Metrolinx is also working with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority and municipal partners to explore plans to directly connect the line north-west to Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Tunnel boring machines launch for the western extension of the Crosstown LRT.

UT

In total, Toronto has $28 Billion of transit projects u/c and approved including the new Ontario Line subway, the Yonge subway north extension, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (to open soon)
and the Crosstown western extension to Mississauga now u/c.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:39 PM

Link

Happy Independence Day... to colemonkee (who comments here ;-)
Just kidding... I noticed this thread had more than 2,000 views in the past 2 days, so Happy 4th of July to all 1,739 viewers from the USA.

Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto l u/c

The Don River (prone to flooding) presently turns right, at a 90 degree angle into the Keating Channel seen below (near the top left you can glimpse the very the first new bridge that was delivered, the Cherry Street North bridge).

Nwalsh

Below, progress on the new river valley that will meet the mouth of the Don River, ending floods and weaving around a new island (“Villiers’) that will be home to a new community (thousands of new residential units), parks and open spaces, kayak and canoe launches, fish habitats and a just-announced river-front “sculpture trail” (posted earlier).

The new river path will pass under the twin-span Commissioners Street bridge seen in the photo, and then bend to the right (west) and weave it’s way towards the Cherry Street South bridge* (near the top left in the photo), before emptying into the harbour. *Note the serpentine shapes on the left leading to the bridge.

Nwalsh

Great news: the 2nd (twin) Cherry Street North bridge just arrived early Sunday evening.. towed on a barge by the tugboat “Beverly” all the way from Halifax/Dartmouth. Spot the bridge in this (surprisingly good) cell phone shot by skycandy.

skycandy

DSC

DSC
The Cherry Street twin being towed through the channel on the right of the photo, the first Cherry Street bridge ‘installed’ last year is left of centre, and the yellow Cherry Street South bridge is far left.

globalexpress

U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre | ?m | 20s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi l u/c

I realize I post way too many photos of this project, but in the tsunami of downtown construction, much of which is tall but instantly forgettable, designs like this in a location like this (Queens Park) are just so welcome.

Methinks, it’s not too soon (though still u/c) to suggest this one will be borderline “iconic”… particularly when stitched to Phase 2 which is much taller and larger. Can’t wait.

Phase 1 u/c is left of centre, Phase 2 is centre.

UT

stjames2queenwest

ProjectEnd

stjames2queenwest

CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre l Phase 2 u/c

Phase 2
Look up “logistical nightmare” in the dictionary for more construction pics of this site.

mburrrrr

Much of the north end of the deck from Phase 1 over the rail corridor is now a big staging area for this incredibly constrained site between Yonge and Bay (the south end of the park/deck is open).

mburrrrr

mburrrrr

Phase 1 (complete) shot through a window.

AlbertC

Pinnacle One Yonge | 312.5m | 95s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

Phase 1 crown glass - south elevation looks to be complete (still plenty to do replacing most of the balcony glass on the tower due to failing laminations).

Jeff Morgan
Phase 1 north crown elevation

mburrrrr

Phase 2 SkyTower climbing above grade.

mburrrrr

Summary of all 4 phases of Pinnacle One Yonge: (Note: in the centre foreground of the rendering below are the 2 completed phases of Pier 27 - the tower @ 35s and the 3 mid-rises along the shore).

Phase 4 (1. new office tower and Toronto Star reclad).
Behind Pier 27, the shorter tower left centre is the proposed reclad of the Toronto Star building, with a new office tower rising above and over The Star.

Phase 4 (2. new office and hotel/convention centre, skybridge).
Directly to the right of the Pier 27 tower, is the office and hotel component,

Phase 1, 2 and 3 residential, retail
In the background, Phase 2 SkyTower (u/c @ 312.5m and 95s) rises directly behind the Pier 27 tower (centre of rendering). To the right of SkyTower is Phase 1 residential (now topped out @ 217, and 65s). Behind Phase 1 is Phase 3 residential (264m and 80s) which is yet to start.

blog.com

1966 Eglinton East | 162.05m | 48s | RioCan | Kirkor Architects l recommended for approval/settlement

Condo, retail and public green space in 48, 44, 40, 38, 36 and 12 storey buildings.

AlbertC

AlbertC

38 Olive Avenue | 98.6m | 29s | Capital Developments | IBI Group l recommended for approval

Kind of a snore but located at the northern edge of the city (Finch Avenue), where I’ll never see it anyway ;-).

UT

Verge Condominiums | 60.3m | 17s | RioCan | Turner Fleischer l site shoring

Renderings are ok I guess. But I’m on the Verge of screaming out loud if I have to look at another Turner Fleischer “design” (eyes still smarting from what they did to Bloor & Dufferin). Thanks in advance for smiling at this lazy, low-hanging fruit attempt at humour.

UT

bangkok

The Grainger & The Sanderson | 124.8m | 40s | Fitzrovia | Turner Fleischer l approved

Ok I won’t scream out loud, but here’s another TF “design” that has just been approved.

At least most of the nearly 800 residential units appear to be rentals (plus office and retail)… and a number of heritage buildings are retained (looks like some are retained in full/rehabilitated). Located on King Street a block east of Sherbourne Street

UT

UT

The Keeley | 47.85m | 13s | TAS | Teeple Architects l u/c

Nice use of 2 pre-cast brick colours to break up the mass of the building. Too bad it’s up in Downsview Park… wouldn’t mind a few of these downtown where appropriate. TAS and Teeple often do good work together. Condo, rental, townhouse and retail.

UT
From early spring, getting some white pre-cast brick.

Edward Skira

UT
Now getting some red brick precast.

Edward Skira

Future Toronto render magician Stephen Velasco put together a terrific 15 minute video snapshot of the what, why and when of Toronto’s long (unprecedented) construction boom. Packed full of his amazing renders and required viewing for anyone interested in the fastest-growing city (vertically) in North America ;-).

https://youtu.be/JcV0EINzdug
steveve

The much-loved “doggie” fountain in Berczy Park (the gold bone at the top is icing on top of this wonderful cake).

Day

Rascacielo
Night

Jeff Morgan

166 South Service Road East (Oakville) | 194m | 58s | Distrikt Development | Sweeny &Co

What’s in the water in Oakville?

After just posting District Station @ 58, 49 and 44 storeys (image below) last week, a second similarly-sized development from Distrikt has been announced… just a couple of blocks away.

1. District Station (posted last week):

UT

Future neighbours (same developer):
2. 166 South Service Road East (Oakville) | 194m | 58s | Distrikt Development | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

58, 50 and 44 storeys.

Saugeen Junction

So in total, 2 towers @ 58s (one at 194m and one at 185m), 1 tower @ 50s, 1 tower @ 49s and 2 towers @ 44s… almost next door to each other… in Oakville (!?).

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 5, 2022 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 3:58 PM

Curious how you know how many of the 2,000 views are American

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:08 PM

LOL... just a guess-timate based on ssp traffic/threads, and the patent-pending tracking software I developed in a couple of hours.

Full disclosure, since it's July 4th I really didn't want to break down that 2,000 views into proper country demographics.... which is actually, approximately 945 US and 1,055 non-Torontonian Canadians (who are in deep cover on this topic).

Plus you of course, so 1,056 Canucks.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:39 PM

36 Eglinton West | 199.9m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects l approved

This one was opposed but they reached a compromise (including a 6 storey haircut and more office space)… height is now 199.9 metres. Not 200 metres of course. Less than a half a foot below 200m... give me a break.

Surprised city planning didn’t agree to a height of 199.999 metres… this keeps happening (240 Adelaide knocked down to 199m, 260 Adelaide knocked down to 199.3m then down again 196.80 etc.), and I know it’s a conspiracy to torture poor skyscraper geeks ;-).

Revised Podium/lower floors

UT

No revised tower renderings were provided, but just lop off the top of the original tower rendering below and you’ll get the gist.

UT

7700 Keele | ?m | 60s | Avenue 7 Development | BDPQ l pre-construction

A stunning master-plan design for suburban Vaughan from BDPQ - check out that open space/park @ 1.4 acres and a 60 storey flatiron skyscraper!).

3000 residential units, 113,000sq ft of office and retail, and 14,500 sq ft of community space - 8 mixed-use buildings ranging from 6 to 60 storeys.

ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot

Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 2) | 299m | 90s | Menkes | a—A l something soon(?)

The Phase 1 towers are climbing skyward, and now core sampling is underway for Phase 2, and Toronto Hydro is relocating the overhead electrics to make way for this project… so it’s happening fairly soon I guess.
NOTE: This 2nd phase’s tallest tower is 299 metres… not 300 metres… more proof of the city planning conspiracy I mentioned above ;-).

Includes 90, 87, 79 and 16 storey mixed-use condominium and rental buildings with approximately 3,000 residential units.

Centre of the rendering is SkyTower and the other 2 Pinnacle towers, and just to the right are the 3 Sugar Wharf Phase 2 towers. Farther to right are the two SW Phase 1 towers (with balcony patterns) that are well-under construction

UT
Core sampling

mburrrrr

The LCBO site for this phase is below, right next to the Pinnacle One Yonge mega-project to the west.

mburrrrr

Large portions of the LCBO facades will be retained.

UT

UT

Phase 1 towers u/c:

mburrrrr

I read over at UT that the Phase 1 tower in the middle of the photo below (which will actually be the shorter of the two @ 65s), has topped out the residential floors and only has a few mechanical levels yet to go. The tower on the left is farther behind but will be taller at 70s (+ mechanical?).

The pretty little office building on the right is also part of Sugar Wharf. It’s simple (yes just a ‘box’)… but that excellent curtainwall has provided a wealth of gorgeous reflection photos over at UT. It also hosts a huge LCBO (booze) to serve the gazillion thirsty residents that will one day inhabit these few waterfront blocks.

Riseth

Crosstown Place | 47.55m | 9s | Metrus | Core Architects l u/c

A quirky little office and retail building designed by Core, part of the huge master-planned Crosstown Community* u/c.

UT

AlbertC

UT

Crosstown Community MASTERPLAN

14 towers, mid-rises and townhomes with a condo, rental, office, institutional, retail and open space mix.

UT

One Crosstown Towers I, II, III, and The Crest | 129.86m | 39s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects l site demolition

The Towers

UT
A crane has recently popped up behind retained facade of the Parkin Building. Not sure it’s for continued/partial site demo or construction(?).

AlbertC
Example of some of the Parkin Building heritage facade retention that will be incorporated.

UT

The (curvy) Crest

UT

Site demolition (facade retention) seen below, from a month ago. The rail tracks in the foreground are for the (soon to be open) Eglinton Crosstown LRT… one of the main reasons that big developments like this one are sprouting up along Eglinton.

AlbertC

UT

The Quay, Tower Three (was Maple Leaf Quay) | 66.44m | 21s | Pacific Reach | BDP Quadrangle l u/c

The 4 different heights/massings in the middle of the rendering below, is a new infill rental, office and retail project between the 2 original (twin) rental buildings now called “The Quay”.

Plans include improved public realm and an outdoor amenity space for residents on the parkade roof.

UT
Crane is now up.

AHK

UT
Site demolition from back in the fall 2021.

Rascacielo
Reverse view of the project (looking south).

UT

160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG l u/c

The new TD* tower rising next to RBC* (*one of a number of towers for both banks in the Financial District). “…keep your enemies closer” ;-).

yyz222

The RBC LEDs on Canada Day.

yyz222

Bjays92

QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Rosario Varacalli & Core Architects l pre-construction/demolition soon?

Tres tall for this (presently low-rise) corner. We might see a start fairly soon as demolition* permit applications have been filed for all applicable properties (*heritage facades to be saved at grade on Church).

UT

Like I said, tres tall for the corner of Queen and Church, but… the soaring render-lies below made me chuckle… there’s a 50 storey HPA-designed tower (88 Queen) well u/c … a few yards to the right of this project.

UT

Bloor Street skyline shot

Viewed across the Rosedale ravine:
centre of the photo is the (appropriately-named) “Rosedale” u/c and the tallest on the right is 1 Bloor East (hiding the crane for supertall “The One” u/c at 1 Bloor West).

Rascacielo

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:52 PM

You beat me to it, but I was going to mention the signs of movement on Sugar Wharf II.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:00 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Haha! Thank you for the shout-out, Maldive! I do enjoy this thread. And technically, all of us are "Americans" living in North America (that includes our friends to the south in Mexico as well as they are part of North America too). Or as they would refer to us all collectively in Mexico, Norte Americanos.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Haha! Thank you for the shout-out, Maldive! I do enjoy this thread. And technically, all of us are "Americans" living in North America (that includes our friends to the south in Mexico as well as they are part of North America too). Or as they would refer to us all collectively in Mexico, Norte Americanos.
Well technically you are first human from the USA to point out that North "America" consists of 3 countries inhabited by Americans (Canucks point it out all the time). But of course that AMERICAN handle was co-opted a long time ago.

Don't forget the actual historical root of the word A MERI CANadian.... which means 1. a happy person who has healthcare and 2. any world-famous person who lived in Canada for a month or more ;-)

Bit suprised you didn't comment on that wonderful 60 storey BDPQ-designed flatiron... in friggin' Vaughan.

Geez, I want one exactly like it downtown! I know I'm repeating repeating myself.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Haha! All true. I do like the BDPQ-designed project in Vaughn, it looks really nice. I also like Crosstown Place, though it's difficult for me to place it on that property.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:12 PM

Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

Still only massing drawings, but hey there’s a sign posted. “Gee only 11 towers”, tallest @ 70 storeys-218metres… over the rail corridor… wake me up when it’s done".

5,754 condo and rental residences and 22,400sq m of office, retail etc. Oh, and a park, of unknown size but rumoured to be up to 11 acres.

Red Mars

Massing

Red Mars

UT

123 Edward | 228m | 72s | Crown Realty Partners | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

This one will likely go nowhere fast (likely just a zoning/value add play), because it does almost everything wrong:

Tower separations=fail
Sneaking into north (protected) views of City Hall=fail
3 elevators in each tower (1 tower serving 1000+ units)=fail
1 of the residential towers has floor plates @ 1040 sq m (should be 750 to 780 max) = fail

Getting rid of the huge, ugly 6 storey above ground parkade =congrats! You’re a winner!

UT

UT

UT

UT

Ooops… that’s a big no no below ;-).

UT

Location of the towers (orange) in context from steveve.

steveve

steveve

619 Yonge | 190.93m | 57s | YI Developments | Core Architects l pre-construction

Just some new renderings from the Site Plan Approval application.

UT

UT

In its Yonge Street context (neighbours):

UT

2280 Dundas West | ?m | 42s | Choice Properties | Hariri Pontarini l new masterplan

Choice has been negotiating with TCSBD (school board) for 4 years to incorporate school board lands in their masterplan (which included a new on-site high school and a below grade concourse
connecting to the Bloor GO Station and the Dundas West TTC Station), but the negotiations stalled.

Choice is now moving forward with a smaller (but still huge) masterplan for the site (minus the school board lands). Can’t blame Choice, but the school boards blew a wonderful opportunity imo.

The revised plan includes more than 1,900 residential units, 7,600 sq m of office space, 9,000 sq m of retail, a 4,400 sq m park and other public realm open spaces.

Before and After (masterplan)

3D
Dundas Street Elevation

smably
Podiums and open space

3D
Tower and Podium Materials

3D

64-86 Bathurst | 68.3m | 17s | Hines | 3XN l u/c

Another nice 3XN design gets its crane.

Red_Bulmer

UT

Red Mars

717 Church Street | 95m | 27s | Capital Developments | Diamond Schmitt l approved

I loved this curvy kinda flatiron design a few blocks away from the towers of Bloor-Yorkville, but after 2 haircuts in height (now down to just 27 storeys), and other improvements such as wider sidewalks etc.), the city finally settled with the developer, so it won’t end up at the OLT.

Unfortunately no new renderings were provided in the settlement docs, just a massing drawing seen below. Hopefully the materials/design aesthetic in the earlier renders are still in the cards.

UT

Example of cladding/materials from the earlier version:

UT

Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | Claude Cormier + Associés l u/c

Red tiling started on the heart. What's not to love about this little oasis among towers?

BJT

BJT
Sample of the tiles that will run the heart.

PatM

W Hotel Toronto | ?m | 9s | Larco | a—A l complete(?)

Finally got its “splashy*” sign on Bloor Street (*there’s a joke in there somewhere).

Rascacielo

dodgeram
Rendering of. the rooftop restaurant.

UT

46-54 Ossington Ave l 3s l Hullmark l Audax l complete(?)

Really great residential conversion to commercial/retail (incl renovation) to a half dozen properties on Ossington Street.
Before

AlbertC
After

AlbertC

Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto l u/c

The just-delivered second Cherry Street North bridge is now in place. Eyecandy below courtesy of UT forum photographer skycandy.

skycandy

skycandy

skycandy

CIBC Square - Phase 1 (complete):

Phase 1 behind the historic Dominion building.

G.L.17
Phase 1 front door

G.L.17

(Half of) Phase 1 through a canyon, with Sugar Wharf Phase 1 towers rising to the right of CIBC.

G.L.17

Mississauga

M3 at M City | 260.29m | 77s (*81s) | Rogers Real Estate | IBI Group l u/c

Site prep for M4 @ 67s and 215.60m is underway already (foreground), with M3 barely above grade (centre of photo).

khaldoon

M3 is on the left of the render, M1 & M2 both at 60s are on the right.

UT

M1 & 2 (each tower @ 198m and 60 storeys) - u/c

bangkok

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 8, 2022 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:45 PM

Cielo Condos | 99m | 29s | Collecdev | KPMB l demolition/site prep

A couple of weeks ago the annual BILD Awards honoured this wonderful KPMB design as “Best High-Rise Building (Design)"… hard not to agree.

UT

Constructed in 1886, the church is being completely redeveloped with the United Church of Canada occupying a new head office space, while the congregation will gather in a completely rebuilt sanctuary hall.
The condo and retail tower will have 284 residential units.

Presumably (careful) interior demolition work, which began 3 months ago, is progressing well.

smably

Back of the podium.

UT

UT

55 Mercer | 155.5m | 47s | CentreCourt | IBI Group l u/c

Some charcoal precast brick going up. The mix of red and charcoal cladding on the podium should look great on this one.

Red Mars

Red Mars

UT

Red Mars

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Things seem to be moving along now that all the gear (like self-climbing construction elevators) is in place.

Miraculously they have finally poured/are pouring concrete in the 4 missing floor-plate corners (which have the hangers)… lots more corners left to do (never understood the logistics behind leaving
those hanger corners until later, but would love to know).

thaivic

Benito

The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone l demolition (with heritage retention)

Condo and retail. Gas station is gone and the 2 heritage facades (one left of centre and one bottom right) are reinforced with steel.

evandyk

UT

One of the heritage buildings on site being dismantled brick by brick.

evandyk

Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co l u/c

Above grade at last.

Red Mars

UT

Central Condos | 138.98m | 46s | Concord Adex | DIALOG l u/c

Crane is in the background left of centre. What can I say… it’s a Concord building :-(

AlbertC

Red Mars

Sixty Five Broadway | 132.89m x 2 | 39s x 2 | Times Group | Wallman Architects l excavation

Condo, institutional and rental.

UT

Big site.

StealthyArrow

5300 Yonge Street (now branded as “Bella” | 108.86m | 33s | Diamante Development | Scott Shields l pre-construction

Condo and retail on Yonge south of Finch.

UT

UT

Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | IBI Group l excavation

Deep dig on this one located near the Bloor subway at Sherbourne. Condo and retail.

Northern Light

UT

From a year ago, a couple of the heritage buildings prepped to be moved on the site.

skycandy

UT

The Bread Company | 67.8m | 20s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A l u/c

Heck of a lot of work being completed… before a crane has even arrived(?). Condo and retail.

Northern Light

UT

170 Roehampton | 153.5m | 46s | Capital Developments | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

Mixed-use condo and rental building (630 units), north of Eglinton and west of Mount Pleasant Blvd.

UT

29 Pleasant Boulevard | 121.55m | 35s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

Double whammy… developer change from Gairloch (good to great builder) and architect change from Giannone Petricone to Turner Fleischer (ugh).

Condos near Yonge and St. Clair.

UT

Artful entrance by the new architect… zzzz.

UT
Earlier entrance version by G. Petricone

UT

Below, ending this post on a happier note…….

2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison l pre-construction

With the great news that Allies and Morrison (who designed the masterplan), have been retained as design architects for the project (yay!), a few renders from their website… while we wait :-).

3 dozen mixed-use buildings of different heights, tallest at 216 metres, a galleria, parks and open spaces - all across the street from 300 acres of parks, marinas and trails reaching out into Humber Bay.

View from the galleria terrace.

alliesandmorrison

Central hall in the galleria.

alliesandmorrison

alliesandmorrison

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 6:16 PM

The Goode Condos | 105m | 32s | Graywood | a—A l demolition soon(?)

Now 85% sold and the sales centre on site (south end of The Distillery District) is closed, so demolition likely soon. Note the ghost* in the rendering below.

UT

UT

The Ghost* is the project below (@ 41s) which will wipe out many of the south views of the harbour for those (less-than savvy?) purchasers on south side of The Goode (@ 32s).

No. 31 Condos | 137.4m | 41s | Lanterra | Arquitectonica l site prep

The low-rise buildings to the right of (immediately behind) No. 31 Condos in the rendering, is the site of The Goode Condos^.

Marcanadian
Site almost cleared for shoring/excavation.

bilked

Two of my favourite projects in/near the Entertainment District: 1. Westbank’s 19 Duncan (centre of photo) and 2. TD’s 160 Front Street West (right of centre).

Rascacielo

1. 19 Duncan - 186.53m (58s)

Red Mars
Everything is being done right here (superb cladding/glass) including a beautiful restoration on the heritage elements.

bilked

UT

2. 160 Front Street West - 240m (46 storeys)

Can’t wait to see 46 floors of this angled curtainwall glass.

Riseth

UT

mburrrrr

UT

149 Bathurst Street | 59.3m | 12s | Allied | BDP Quadrangle l demolition

UT
Site demo looks complete.

AlbertC

UT

Galleria 01 & 02 | 92.65m | 29s | ELAD Canada | Core Architects l u/c

The first of many malls/shopping centres in the city being redeveloped/planned with mixed-use residential. This particular mall will bite the dust entirely IIRC.

AlbertC

UT

AlbertC

KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group l u/c

Shot from The Well, the large construction site on the right of the photo.

generalcanada

Gotta be one of the busiest construction sites in the city.

AHK

AHK

UT

West Condos | 46.51m | 14s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects l u/c

Red Mars

Hate the switch from red to charcoal pre-cast on the podium. Hopefully the upper floors (see rendering below) will redeem this mistake somewhat.

Red Mars

Original podium with red cladding below. The historic factory is being retained and converted to commercial spaces.

UT

261 Queen East | 112.95m | 33s | Tricon | Hariri Pontarini l pre-construction

Big heritage component here. And the neighbourhood needs some sprucing up to say the least ;-). No condos for a change: office, rentals, retail and public space.

UT

Not sure if this is the start of project site prep or work related to a presentation/sales centre.

richsherb

Scout Condos | 38.65m | 12s | Graywood | CMV l u/c

Real brick looking fine (lots of laying to go ;-).

AlbertC
Nice the way the building terraces step down away from the street.

AlbertC

UT

AlbertC

The Twelve Hundred | 29.32m | 8s | Fieldgate | IBI Group l site prep/shoring

A decent mid-rise on Dundas Street West. Condo and retail.

UT

AlbertC

838 Broadview | 31.67m | 8s | The Broadview Group | KUA l site plan approval application

Another decent mid-rise, this one on Broadview. Condo, rental and retail north of The Danforth. Image from the site plan approval docs.

UT

18 Portland | 78.15m | 23s | Density Group Limited | RAW Design l pre-construction

Office, residential and retail, not far from Portland Commons u/c. The city has identified many issues with one, including shadowing on Victoria Memorial Square (though 78m ain’t very tall).

UT

The development would demolish this kinda wacky office building… which is perhaps fitting as it’s the former HQ of disgraced fashion mogul Peter Nygard (who is facing numerous charges of sexual assault).

Red Mars

South Forest Hill Residences | 68.4m | 19s | Parallax | IBI Group l approved

Kind of a beast not far from some of the most expensive properties in the country. Don’t know what those millionaire$+ think of this (but don’t care ;-).

AlbertC

Looks better up close - I like the steel balcony guards (throw-back to wrought iron) instead of glass or aluminum.

AlbertC

FINCH LRT

Much as been posted here about the impact on development that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT has triggered, but the new Finch West LRT @ 10.5 km (due to open late next year) is also spurring many development proposals, particularly where it meets the subway at Yonge and Finch - dozens of new/tall proposals.

UT

Testing the brake performance of rolling stock in wet conditions.

UT
Keele and Finch station (and portals) under construction in west Toronto.

UT

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 6:35 PM

Skyline looking south-west, from Gerrard Street south to the lake (Sugar Wharf x 2 u/c near the left of the photo).

Johnny Au

Tallest near the right of the photo above is “Aura”, looking a bit lonely… but below is what is in the pipeline, including Concord Sky (in blue below) u/c @ 299 metres.

In the cluster near the bottom left (labelled Yonge-Gerrard) of this future rendering by steveve, Aura has nearly disappeared in the forest of skyscrapers from Gerrard to College Street.

steveve

Another great steveve render focusing on development in the Eastern Waterfront (east of Yonge).

steveve

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 23, 2022 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:46 PM

The One | 338.3m | 94s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

Below: Poured another floor yesterday. Honest.

thaivic

In progress earlier yesterday:

thavic

BloorMan

Last week they finally poured some more of the missing corners around the “hangers”, now forming up for the next levels.

BloorMan

A rebar chunk of a super-column being delivered.

Benito

Working on the heritage facade along Yonge.

BloorMan

Eight Cumberland | 170m | 51s | Great Gulf | a—A l u/c

Pouring a floor yesterday. BloorMan captioned his photo “It’s lonely at the top” lol.

BloorMan

Less than a day later… tons of formwork and rebar work on top of the new floor just poured. Need to move these guys a block south to work on a supertall ;-).

BloorMan

T3 Bayside | 42m | 10s | Hines | 3XN l u/c

I wood (sic) like to say this is looking sharp indeed.

Rascacielo

Rascacielo

Neat angle on a single lumberjack ;-).

TheSix

U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre | ?m | 20s | U of T | Weiss/Manfredi l u/c

Perfect location for this beauty, next to Queen’s Park.

ML555

ML555

Red Mars

Red Mars

Rascacielo

The Rosedale on Bloor | 185.92m | 55s | Gupta | IBI Group l u/c

As seen through the veil (on the Bloor Viaduct*).

Broadeaves

*The “luminous Veil” at night with 35,000 LEDs at work. Before the barrier’s installation, the Bloor Viaduct annually recorded the second most suicides on the continent, after The Golden Gate Bridge.

Spacing

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 15, 2022 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 7:54 PM

Rise up supertall… you’re in 2nd place but with many laps to go, you’ll easily pass that other supertall u/c at Yonge & Bloor (and then “The One” will become “The Two” ;-).

mburrrrr

UT

Grand Hotel Redevelopment | 153.95m | 49s? | Amexon | Core Architects l (epic) demolition complete

Here’s a mystery… this 68 storey version (below) was posted by someone in structural engineering on LinkedIn back in February, but no new project docs have been filed with the city yet.

steveve

Now the hoarding around the site has an image of a tower well in excess of 200 metres (68 storeys?). Maybe the story on storeys will be told soon ;-)..

bilked

Y&S Condos | 121.3m | 35s | Tribute | Graziani + Corazza l u/c

A relatively simple, decent design from G + C for a change.

UT

Crane going up.

chakbear

UT

Nice moody shot of the crane among the towers of Yonge and Eglinton.

Lamor

The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

Bird’s eye view of the east-west section of the glass canopy.

generalcanada

Some nice materials close-ups.

Red Mars

I want a terracotta house.

Red Mars

Red Mars

Dark red & curvy precast brick on one of the podiums.

Red Mars

Red Mars

Looking south, Wellington Street mid-rises in front, towers behind.

thecharioteer

Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | Claude Cormier + Associés l u/c

The red tile work on the heart pond: left is unwrapped, right is still wrapped ;-).

fc000

fc000

BJT

IMMIX | 131.06m | 38s | QuadReal | a—A l u/c

Various angles immix-ing its neighbours. Below, it’s on the left.

Rascacielo
On the left.. again ;-).

Rascacielo

Looking down Yonge.

Northern Light
Peeking through in the centre of the pic.

Rascacielo

Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | IBI Group l u/c

Glazing looks ok. But glad these 2 towers on their bloated podium will be the last we see of Concord CityPlace (…or will we? ;-).

Red Mars

Red Mars

These are the 2 tallest in CityPlace @ 74 and 62 storeys (both over 200 metres). Waterfront skyline: one day waaay in the future, when Oxford’s towers (incl. a supertall) behind the Dome are complete, along with Forma’s 2 towers (incl. a supertall) a bit to the east, Canada House’s 2 towers will do a decent job of stepping down the skyline to the west.

UT

KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group l u/c

A 10 second pan of this mega site now climbing above grade.

Red Mars

Red Mars

Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co l u/c

Red Mars

Red Mars

UT

"Where’s that poop bag?"

AlbertC

Undead

Eighty One Wellesley | 97.53m | 28s | Aragon Properties | Core Architects l u/c

Massing looking great during PRIDE.

Albion_Sky

150 Sterling Rd l 13s l Marlin Spring l Giannone Petricone l pre-construction

UT
Next door to T3 Sterling Road mass timber buildings.

UT

The Hampton | 123.13m | 38s | KG | BDP Quadrangle l u/c

Topped out. Nice rental building.

Lamor

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 19, 2022 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 9:55 PM

399 Yonge | 252.3m | 75s | Capital Developments | Teeple Architects l pre-construction

Condo (828 units) & retail development. Material palette includes stuff like Lily Gold, Regina Gold for the cladding panels, and dark Bronze for louvres and mullions.

In the future the area around theYonge and Gerrard intersection will be nuts with development (see last graphic):

a) Across the street from Aura 272m - 78s (built)
b) Concord Sky u/c @ 299m just to the south
c) 372 Yonge proposed @ 238m - 74 on the south-west corner
d) 415 Yonge just 20.5 metres (!) to the north, proposed at 230m and 69 storeys

UT

UT

UT

Northern Light

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:03 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, that's gonna be quite the cluster. This one will really come down to the materials of those lily gold and regina gold panels. If it's gold-tinted metal, it could look really nice. If it's gold tinted spandrel glass or matte composite panels, this won't look good at all.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, that's gonna be quite the cluster. This one will really come down to the materials of those lily gold and regina gold panels. If it's gold-tinted metal, it could look really nice. If it's gold tinted spandrel glass or matte composite panels, this won't look good at all.
Yeah the 'golds' are metal panels and the dark bronze is used on top rails of balcony guards, mullions and louvres... should be a great combination.

Teeple as design architects don't usually do the AoR grunt work on projects but Capital Developments is behind some of the best new projects we've seen (8 Elm, St. Clair Place etc.) so I could see this turning out really well (likely better than the rather 2nd rate renderings).

The Teeple-designed towers of Nobu have sadly been VE'd to death in the build... but that's thanks to developer Madison who sometimes delivers real clunker, cheap-out executions (and they hire shitty AoDs who shall remain nameless ;-).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:22 PM

Entire site now above grade.

wmedia

SkyTower crane on the left, Sugar Wharf x 2 behind and Phase 1 on the right.

Rascacielo

Looking down the Harbour Street canyon.

Rascacielo

mburrrrr

160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG l u/c

Approximate progress (final height via massing drawing ghosted in).

steveve

NorthshoreCity

Riseth

Riseth

450 Richmond West | 60.96m | 19s | a—A l pre-construction

AlbertC

Below: this project will be in the gap to the right of The Woodsworth (nearly complete). Will be a nice streetwall.

Lachlan Holmes

30 Merton Street | 125.3m | 37s | QuadReal | Sweeny &Co l site demolition

Institutional, 323 rental units and retail.

UT

Demo of the parking garage begins.

Wysiwyg

Oro at Edge Towers | ?m | 50s | Solmar | Rosario Varacalli l excavation

Mississauga: the tallest of the three towers is being excavated. Behind the excavation is phase two and phase one.

bangkok

UT

Phase one topped out.

bangkok

Looking north-west from Polson Pier.

tstormers

Future model: Humber Bay (and Mimico on the left).

steveve

Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | Waterfront Toronto l u/c

One of the largest downtown regenerations in North America, by 2024 Toronto will have a new kilometre long river valley (with a sculpture trail funded by a private donor), a new island (Villiers Island will eventually be home to thousands of new residents in a mixed-use community), beautiful pedestrian, cycling, auto and transit bridges (already in place), 40 hectares of parks, wetlands, coves, open greenspaces and habitats. 5,000 trees, 77,000 shrubs and over 2 million new herbaceous plants will green this enormous regeneration of former industrial land.

Images and captions from WaterfrontToronto:
Excavation of ‘Canoe Cove’ on the north side of Polson Slip is complete. Crews are now creating small islands in the cove. Once complete, it will be part of Promontory Park South and feature a place to launch small watercraft with little islands to paddle around.

drum118

The cycling, pedestrian and vehicular bridge for Cherry Street North arriving in early July. Like the other bridges, it travelled along the St. Lawrence Seaway before being moved into its location.

drum118

Pedestrian bridges were pre-fabricated and lifted into place by a crane.

drum118

Two pedestrian bridges were installed in June. This one spans the wetland in River Park South.

drum118

Plants have started to grow out of the Fibre-Encapsulated Lifts. These lifts line the river channel and some areas of the wetlands to build up the banks. The fibre provides stability to the soil and prevents erosion until the roots of the plants become established.

drum118

The south half of the Lake Shore Bridge over the Don River has been removed. Crews are now excavating on the west side of the bridge to make the river wider in this location and install new piers for the lengthened bridge.

drum118

Excavation is being completed under the Commissioners Street Bridge. Now they are installing a river liner in the ice management area to prevent any contaminants in the soil from seeping up into the new river.

drum118

Beautiful shots of beautifully-designed bridges.

globalexpress

globalexpress

Very cool stuff... more entertaining then most of the junk on Netflix.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:46 PM

I predicted that render magician steveve would complete a new future model for Yonge and Gerrard by the end of day today... to include the just announced Teeple-designed 399 Yonge @ 252.3m - 75s.

He posted it before lunch.

steveve

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations