HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
It says the new zoning would allow for up to 110 units per acre. That's 3x the density of Hemisview, 4x Cevallos, and 40% more then 1800 Broadway. Could they get that much density approved at the site as it abuts single-family properties?

Per BCAD a property group owns 2.4 acres there. At 110 units per acre they'd be able to plop down 265 apartments on that site. I think there's enough demand to fill that, but is it structurally/economically feasible? How high would they have to go to reach that number?

They should also build a cross street linking Cevallos and Clay. That's a REALLY long block.
If they underground the parking like Cevallos Lofts, they could get it on there. The total space is not that much smaller than the space taken by the main portion of CL and even if they went up to 5 or 6 stories along Probandt, they could stagger it down to whatever height needed next to the house if it needs to be.

Another thing to think about is that although they could have more units than Cevallos Lofts, they might not, and even if they do, they could have fewer larger units and perhaps even smaller units (studio) than CL.

I also don't think there is going to be a cross street between Cevallos and Clay. If anything, I'd say that it would be only walk or bike accessible. Cevallos Modern provides a cut through if people needed it. But since you mention it, it would make sense to extend Applewhite from Simon to Clay. The space is there as if there was access at some point. That would be a great way to connect the entire neighborhood. Another great way would be to create a hike/bike trail from San Pedro Creek at Arsenal all the way past Probandt to Big Tex along the abandoned portion of the rail line there. If you look at a map, you can still see that ROW; it even has access over Nogalitos.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:47 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Picture
of
Cherry Street Modern

in Dignowity Hills

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Holy cow, they're gonna move the old Liberty Bar building.
http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D..._Josephine.pdf
So HDRC shot down the plan for moving it. Go figure.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Picture
of
Cherry Street Modern

in Dignowity Hills

It's something

Really hoping for some more development along E Houston street leading up to the AT&T Center. Still can't get over the island AT&T sits on all by itself. I love my Spurs and go to a game every time I'm in town, but damn did SA truly screw up there. Sadly I prefer to catch my Spurs fix in Charlotte, where the stadium is actually downtown with plenty of options to eat/drink after & before the game.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Picture
of
Cherry Street Modern

in Dignowity Hills

Great looking infill!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 8:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Saw the Sriracha news heating up and wanted to give us an idea about what that might do for our skyline.

Made by me, posted on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/kyleburkholder/status/466312575047958528

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:03 PM

Funny...you can basically paint the tower life building red and get the same thing. It already has the green roof!

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:53 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Just what the skyline was lacking!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:15 PM
Paradise

They better make it the same enchilada red as the library.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:08 PM
Paradise

This sounds promising. St Paul Square development.

Quote:
Zachry Realty and REATA hope to capitalize on the cache that the University of Houston will bring to the historic district.

The strategy is to start with signing office tenants, which could come within year’s end. From there, they’ll look to fill street-level spaces with retail and restaurants.

Down the road, they’re looking to add 300-700 residential units — possibly two separate developments — to the area; construction could start next year, they said.

“We’re trying to do something similar to what the Pearl has been successful in doing,” said Don Thomas, a principal with REATA. “I’m not suggesting we’ll be what the Pearl is, but we hope that we’ll have the kind of success that they have.”
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...nt/#23404101=8

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:59 AM

Quote:
The San Antonio City Council voted 6-4 Thursday night to approve the rezoning of area home to the Mission Trails Mobile Home Park.

Council approval paves the way for a $75 million retail and residential development to be constructed in the 1500 block of Mission Road, forcing residents who live in the mobile home park to vacate the property.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:14 AM

I just went down mission reach yesterday and was thinking "man, it'd be nice if there was something a bit more aesthetic there than a trailer park".

Any news on the renovation of the hot springs hotel ruin?

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 5:09 PM

This board is so one-note and disheartening. All y'all seem to care about is "aesthetically pleasing" developments (which in reality, just look fake and are not real communities, they are just designed in proximity to each other -- Pearl Brewery, 1800 Broadway, 1300 Broadway, 1221 Broadway, god, the banal list goes on and on). The rezoning in Southtown is a loss. It goes to show that all the development that has happened on the river in the past decade has been to change the parts of the city the council and city leaders, and you all here with your blind words of encouragement, deem not desirable. There is nothing wrong with the South side. There is nothing wrong with a trailer park. If you don't want to live there -- great, don't live there! And certainly don't work to pave over people's homes. People who have worked and struggled to be able to afford a mobile home. That is not your life, I understand. So leave it be.

I just don't understand the city you all hope to live in by "2020." There will be so many great expensive restaurants! And so many apartments that all look alike that were built pretty cheaply! There are no more artists in Southtown. Your developments are encroaching on the East. The West hasn't much been touched, but I'm sure y'all will be posting in praise of that soon. If you just went down to the mission reach and thought, "man, it'd be nice if there was something a bit more aesthetic there than a trailer park," just walk 8 miles north. It's there. Your entitlement is bewildering.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 5:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

I agree with the part about people being able to afford to live in a trailer park, and let's not kick them out. But I disagree about 85% with the part about getting more aesthetically pleasing developments. Pearl is a great example of how to revitalize a growingly decrepit area. Some of the others are cookie cutter style, I agree. And the lack of ground level retail in some cases is a big mistake. But overall I think the new developments are a good thing for SA.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
This board is so one-note and disheartening. All y'all seem to care about is "aesthetically pleasing" developments (which in reality, just look fake and are not real communities, they are just designed in proximity to each other -- Pearl Brewery, 1800 Broadway, 1300 Broadway, 1221 Broadway, god, the banal list goes on and on). The rezoning in Southtown is a loss. It goes to show that all the development that has happened on the river in the past decade has been to change the parts of the city the council and city leaders, and you all here with your blind words of encouragement, deem not desirable. There is nothing wrong with the South side. There is nothing wrong with a trailer park. If you don't want to live there -- great, don't live there! And certainly don't work to pave over people's homes. People who have worked and struggled to be able to afford a mobile home. That is not your life, I understand. So leave it be.

I just don't understand the city you all hope to live in by "2020." There will be so many great expensive restaurants! And so many apartments that all look alike that were built pretty cheaply! There are no more artists in Southtown. Your developments are encroaching on the East. The West hasn't much been touched, but I'm sure y'all will be posting in praise of that soon. If you just went down to the mission reach and thought, "man, it'd be nice if there was something a bit more aesthetic there than a trailer park," just walk 8 miles north. It's there. Your entitlement is bewildering.
The Mission Trails trailer park isn't in Southtown. It's in the Riverside neighborhood which is some 2 miles south of the southern most part of Southtown.

I'm not completely sure what your problem is with what occurred. Those people, who I'm sympathetic towards, didn't own the land they lived on. They leased it. The land owner is under no obligation to keep his land zoned a certain way for the rest of eternity, just so people aren't inconvenienced. The developers of the project have bent over backwards to help those residents as well.

All this was, in my opinion, was a lower class group of people who became incredibly comfortable paying very little to live in a place they took no real pride in while never doing anything about their own circumstances to rise about the level they were living at because they were deeply set in and comfortable living in a rundown trailer park and paying only $300 a month.

This is what they were trying to save:

A way of life they were more than happy to keep living.

I for one am unapologetic in saying I'm glad the rezoning was approved.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
All this was, in my opinion, was a lower class group of people who became incredibly comfortable paying very little to live in a place they took no real pride in while never doing anything about their own circumstances to rise about the level they were living at
This is where you lost me.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
This is where you lost me.
Lost in what context?

If I lost you in that you agreed with me up until that remark, then I understand. It's a blunt statement that seems incentive.to the few elderly people who live there, who essentially can't so much for their situation. Those are incredibly unfortunate situations, but the developer is going above and beyond in assisting them.

What I spoke of, those living in comfort and being upset that that comfort has been messed up. This is true. They've been there, paying a low rent, not maintaining their property or their community. Now that they may have to pay more or maintain their homes, they're bewildered.

I know those type of people very well. Too well. They're a subset of people who are content to live in their ruts.

Again, I am sympathetic for many of those people but at the same time, I am unapologetic in my overwhelming approval that the rezoning passed.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:04 AM

Downtown roundabout planned for San Pedro Avenue/Main Avenue/Navarro St. intersection.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 1:16 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I didn't think that intersection could get anymore confusing, but there it is.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I agree with the part about people being able to afford to live in a trailer park, and let's not kick them out. But I disagree about 85% with the part about getting more aesthetically pleasing developments. Pearl is a great example of how to revitalize a growingly decrepit area. Some of the others are cookie cutter style, I agree. And the lack of ground level retail in some cases is a big mistake. But overall I think the new developments are a good thing for SA.
And I agree 100% with you Jack.

@Arhavel - this isn't happening because we "wished" it to happen; it was only a matter of time with the improvements that were made to the River.

A living city is ever-changing.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio