HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 10:19 PM

Nice, sunny day. High of 14.7 and low of 5.7.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 11:34 PM
Community Guy

Raining turning to snow in Canmore... should make the roads terrible tonight.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Haha, thanks LFC.

In 2012 I was in West Virginia and took some photos while on a short hike in the Appalaichans at dusk. That especially gave off Blair Witch vibes, particularly since it's the same mountain chain, and it was that night I learned how to use Gimp, aka free Photo Shop, and I superimposed a ghostly witch into the background of a pic of my GF and I in the woods.

Here's a question to all: What's the weirdest thing you've found in the great outdoors?

For me, and I know I posted this a few years ago here, it was this creature I found around Long Island, just outside of the Big Apple. I launched my inflatable and landed on this small island to see if there were any interesting seashells. I found this things and coined it the Freeport Freak. Pretty sure I discovered a previously unknown species of aquatic canines.

I have spent a lot of time in the mountains and to be honest, the only crazy things I have come across are a few outdoor grow operations. The areas I would hike and hunt around in were pretty remote and off the beaton path.

Ended up going for another hike with the dog, this time along a trail that skirts Okanagan Lake, Lochview trail. It follows along Kelownas most affluent neighbourhood with homes (including in my photos) belonging to Darly Katz (Owner of the Edmonton Oilers) and a previous Dragon from Dragons Den.

The house photos inspired me by a previous post from a forum member from around Lake St. Claire

How the rich get down to their boat slips:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:37 AM
Go Chiefs!

1C and cloudy. Started snowing at around 2:30PM. I've had enough. What is the point of having a mild October if we are going to have an absolutely disgusting November. The mildness in Southern Ontario has not made it to us this time.

Low of -5C (wind chill -8) this morning with clear skies. First sub -5C temperature for Montreal.

The warmspot was Bow Island, AB at 17.8C.

Warmest low was Sand Heads, BC at 7.9C.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
1C and cloudy. Started snowing at around 2:30PM. I've had enough. What is the point of having a mild October if we are going to have an absolutely disgusting November. The mildness in Southern Ontario has not made it to us this time.

Low of -5C (wind chill -8) this morning with clear skies. First sub -5C temperature for Montreal.

The warmspot was Bow Island, AB at 17.8C.

Warmest low was Sand Heads, BC at 7.9C.
To be outside and enjoy the mild October?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 2:32 AM

Speaking of grow ops, we used to lend on a residential property in Nanoose Bay on the Island. And it was right on the water. Could see whales from the backyard. It was a reverse mortgage (negative equity) as we absorbed a book of those after acquiring a smaller lender. It was an old guy by himself and he just abandoned it one day. We had to hire a PI to go find him. He was taken in by a tree cutter who used to be that guy's apprentice.

The PI visited and the house and beautiful property were a mess. And there was a former grow op in the house. The yard was full of junk, just like the house, and had old exercise equipment and broken down boats, etc. Sold the land for the structure to be demolished and the lot demised into two parcels for the builder to put up two houses.

When stumbling upon a grow up, how tempting is it to take some with you? We actually stumbled upon a grow op when I was a teenager. My dad took my brother and I on a hunting excursion (bird shooting) while in Jamaica. Came upon a grow op. But down there, that's the equivalent of stumbling upon a corn field here.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 14, 2023 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 3:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There have been a few warmer days in there but generally we've been running 3-5 degrees below normal since Oct. 29 in Ottawa-Gatineau.

It's already snowed with accumulation on the ground at my place at least 4 times, including yesterday (very lightly) for most of the day.

Until yesterday's it has all melted quickly.

Last night the snowplow even went down my street, something that very very rarely happens this early in the season.

Yesterday's snow will also be gone within a couple of days, based on the forecast.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cloudy and only +1C in Moncton at 2 PM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 8:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Cold but fine enough.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:17 PM

Vancouver has a few nice days in the forecast this week. A chance to see some autumnal colours along the waterfront:
[IMG]beachsunset by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]

my photo

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 11:15 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I love how half of the grass next to Sunset Beach is orange due to the fallen leaves, .

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 11:54 PM
Mooderator

Manitoba having a great fall. Almost warm enough that Nicko might consider Winnipeg this El nino winter before inevitably escaping to his Floridian hidey hole.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I love how half of the grass next to Sunset Beach is orange due to the fallen leaves, .
Yeah, I didn't even notice that looking on my phone, just when I saw it on a PC!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 4:09 AM
Go Chiefs!

3C but with a clearing trend. Still below normal.

Low of 0C (wind chill of -5) this morning.

The warmspot was Fort Frances, ON at 13.7C.

Warmest low were Cape St James, Herbert Island and Solander Island, BC at 6.5C.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 4:14 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Manitoba having a great fall. Almost warm enough that Nicko might consider Winnipeg this El nino winter before inevitably escaping to his Floridian hidey hole.
I haven't been to Florida in a few years. But I will be in warmer places no worries. Starting next week.

As for Manitoba having a great fall, Winnipeg mean monthly is -0.9C, Montreal mean monthly is 2.7C despite having a brutal November so far. Almost 4 degrees milder. I can only imagine if Manitoba had the below average conditions we have had.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

-2C and partly cloudy in Moncton at 9 AM, only getting up to +1C later today.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 2:19 PM

Conditions could lead to our first snowfall that actually sticks early next week - some storms predicted + lows a few degrees below zero.

Long term models have us dipping into winter like weather by the end of next week - highs hovering just above freezing.

November has been pleasant so far. No snow, no extreme cold. Some nice, crisp sunny late fall days. Can't complain.

7 day for Pearson Airport: 12/11/11/7/5/5/7

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There have been a few warmer days in there but generally we've been running 3-5 degrees below normal since Oct. 29 in Ottawa-Gatineau.

It's already snowed with accumulation on the ground at my place at least 4 times, including yesterday (very lightly) for most of the day.

Until yesterday's it has all melted quickly.

Last night the snowplow even went down my street, something that very very rarely happens this early in the season.

Yesterday's snow will also be gone within a couple of days, based on the forecast.
We'll be having a few days of warmer weather so it will probably melt but I notice a decent layer of ice has already formed on my swimming pool. This is early.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 2:46 PM

We've been having a great stretch of weather, waking up to bright sunshine every morning.

It's currently currently 11.5, the low was 5.2 and yesterday's high was 10.4.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 8:03 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Decent day yesterday. Cool at 8c.

I was in the Chinatown/Downtown Eastside area, and walked to Waterfront to catch the train.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada