HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 9:39 PM

And don't forget Winnipeg grew in size to be effected by flooding after one the first of many suspect real estate deals by a Winnipeg city council and Mayor to come over next century plus some.

CP was running their trans continental line north through the higher ground at Selkirk when they were persuaded by money and other inducements to swing south and come through Winnipeg.

If CP had kept their original route there would not have been the problems with flooding as the ground is higher in the Selkirk area than in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 12:49 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The ground can't be higher in Selkirk unless water can somehow flow uphill.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
And don't forget Winnipeg grew in size to be effected by flooding after one the first of many suspect real estate deals by a Winnipeg city council and Mayor to come over next century plus some.

CP was running their trans continental line north through the higher ground at Selkirk when they were persuaded by money and other inducements to swing south and come through Winnipeg.

If CP had kept their original route there would not have been the problems with flooding as the ground is higher in the Selkirk area than in Winnipeg.
elevation is lower but the river bank is higher

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The ground can't be higher in Selkirk unless water can somehow flow uphill.
Your right, I checked it out Selkirk is about 42 feet above sea level lower.

Here is where it gets interesting, when the CPR Rail line was surveyed in 1871 by Sanford Flemming's crews, they wanted to build at Selkirk because they determined that it had not flooded in all the previous major floods until then (and unlike Winnipeg did not flood in 1950).

As stated in a article by the Manitoba Historical Society:

"It is interesting to note in passing that the validity of Sir Sanford's. report has never been challenged by subsequent professional engineers. and is a milestone in studies concerning geography and flooding of the Red River Valley. Unfortunately, it was not adopted, if it had been, "Winnipeg" would now be located at Selkirk and would not be subject to, flooding"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 12:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Look at Molson, Manitoba on the map. That's where the decision was changed from Selkirk to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 1:27 PM

It's the elevation of Selkirk relative to the river, not the elevation of Selkirk relative to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 3:46 PM

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=32668

September 18, 2014

MANITOBA GOVERNMENT MOVES AHEAD WITH FLOOD MANAGEMENT FOR LAKES ST. MARTIN AND MANITOBA, ASSINIBOINE RIVER WATERSHEDS
– – –
Major Investments will Enhance Flood-fighting Infrastructure for Lake Manitoba, Lake St. Martin: Minister Ashton

A major investment will enhance water level regulation and the flood water management system along the lower Assiniboine River including Lake Manitoba and Lake St. Martin, Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton announced today.

“We are moving forward to implement greater flood protection by enhancing Lake Manitoba and Lake St. Martin outflow capacities as part of the larger flood management system that includes the Portage Diversion and the Fairford River Water Control Structure,” said Minister Ashton. “Individual property protection, combined with increased drainage capacity of Lake Manitoba and Lake St. Martin, will greatly improve flood protection in these areas.”

An open house will be held in Ashern later today to gather public opinion on the conceptual design options, the minister said. It will be held at the Centennial Hall from 5 to 8 p.m. The government is also evaluating the Assiniboine River and Lake Manitoba watersheds to develop greater flood protection, Minister Ashton added. The Fairford River carries Lake Manitoba waters into Lake Pinemuta and then into Lake St. Martin. The Dauphin River carries Lake St. Martin waters into Lake Winnipeg.

“We will be presenting options for enhanced drainage of Lake Manitoba and two regarding enhancing the capacity and making permanent the Lake St. Martin emergency outlet channel,” said Minister Ashton. “The Red River Valley is protected by a combination of the floodway, the primary diking system, and community and individual ring dikes. We will enhance the flood protection in the Lake Manitoba and Assiniboine River watersheds also using carefully engineered flood management techniques.”

The Fairford River Water Control Structure, put into operation in 1961, was the province’s first major flood control infrastructure. The Portage Diversion was completed in 1970. Minister Ashton noted that since the 1950 flood, Manitoba has developed an extensive integrated flood protection system including floodways and diversions, dams, community ring dikes, in-line dikes and individual property flood protection.

“This integrated flood mitigation strategy has worked well as a system since that time and has prevented billions of dollars of damage,” said Minister Ashton. “This investment will require more than 30 steps and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to provide similar additional benefits.”

The options for Lake Manitoba and Lake St. Martin flood water management system can be seen at http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/floodinfo/f...rts/index.html.

The link is to a bunch of other links. At the top there is a link to a pdf showing all the options and the preferred options. A lot of money going to be spent. Spend it now, as opposed to paying for all the damages IMO.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 9:50 PM

Just bumping this thread, a yearly occurrence unfortunately..

The Red appears to be looking good, the Assiniboine not so? Glass half full/empty scenario?

Actually thinking about the River Walk and recent articles about it opening earlier than past years..Wasn't it Sept. last year?

Anyway, thier's a few knowledgeable posters who usually have a good read on the situation.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:46 PM

AND... the thread pops back to life...

Manitoban's be like...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:46 PM

It looks like there will more than double the predicted water coming down the Qu'Appelle to the Assiniboine. This is based on hydrology gauges current readings. One tributary, the Moose Jaw River is already hit 120 cms. They predicted 30 cms. Also the Qu'Appelle at Craven was predicted to peak at 35 cms. It has hit 80. It will probably take at least a week for this to get to MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Just bumping this thread, a yearly occurrence unfortunately..

The Red appears to be looking good, the Assiniboine not so? Glass half full/empty scenario?

Actually thinking about the River Walk and recent articles about it opening earlier than past years..Wasn't it Sept. last year?

Anyway, thier's a few knowledgeable posters who usually have a good read on the situation.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

goes with being the drainage ditch of north amarica

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 10:59 PM

The Red is ridiculously low for this time of year. Went to St.Vital Park this weekend and you could see the entire riverbank. There could be a pretty significant blizzard in the next month or so and I doubt we'd have a problem with the Red.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
goes with being the drainage ditch of north amarica
There is something satisfying in knowing that when I flush my toilet, it eventually ends up in downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:28 PM

The reds up a bit now. But nothing special. With the low snow fall this year, I'm not expecting anything major.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:49 PM

This early melt has probably reduced the flood threat quite a bit. I see that there will be a spell of cold weather coming up which will slow the melt and allow the water to drain. I predict a pretty boring spring this year.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There is something satisfying in knowing that when I flush my toilet, it eventually ends up in downtown Winnipeg.

You've made me feel so much better

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:49 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I've given up on the river, just sold the boat. Of course this is the first year of many we may actualy have a good Red River.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:01 AM

^ Don't do it River, can you get it back?..

I was waiting for your take on this years forecast, you had a geat handle on what I've missed since I sold my aquatic transportation.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I've given up on the river, just sold the boat. Of course this is the first year of many we may actualy have a good Red River.
If the Riverman has given up on the River, what hope is there for the rest of us?!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

time share a canoe?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan