HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
True, but for every place in which it is noticeable (if there are any) then that has to be counteracted somewhere else (to maintain the average). People in these places can thus observe the exact opposite and use that to confirm their biases. It's best to not legitimize this type of thinking and just stick to the science.
A month of drastically warmer weather (5+ degrees warmer) amounts to a .5 degree increase for the year. It's climate change, so small shifts in a norm can quickly become drastic changes in weather.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
You do understand how global warming works right ?

It doesn't mean it will be warmer here. It may just get a lot colder in fact. It's not the co2 up there that's just warming the entire planet. It's the oceans that are warming. When that happens the ocean currents change and don't bring that nice tropical air that warms the planet up in the norther hemisphere.

Think England. It should be a bitter cold place like us in winter. It isn't. Thanks to those ocean currents.

If the water changes its temp enough those warm currents will shift. And that can mean disaster for places like England. As they will start to get a cold climate like here. Same as Vancouver. These are all places artificially warmed by ocean currents.

The ocean is like a big dark blue heat absorbing blanket. The more it absorbs. The worse it will be. Hence the polar ice caps melting isn't just about sea rise lvl. The more dark blue ocean we expose the worse for the climate.
Amd the polar ice caps are shrinking.

It's also documented through those ice cores that this has happened before. Due to volcanic eruptions . But one worrying thing that can happen is the ocean currents shut down completely. When that happens and it has before. Then we are thrown into An ice age.

So no matter what happens. We are fucking up the natural cycle of the planet faster then ever before.
You make several points. The purpose of my post was not to deny that global warming is occurring, but to point out that that past winter and the spring so far have only been roughly in accordance with historical averages.

Even if there were no humans on the planet the climate would be warming as we are coming out of the Little Ice Age which ended around the middle of the 19th century. Human activity is accelerating the warming.

It is certain that the oceans are warming. Some suggest that the warming oceans will result in a slowing of the jet stream resulting in a slowing of "weather" so to speak. This will most likely result in more extreme weather. Global warming will not affect all locations equally. The highest latitudes will experience the greatest warming. Although our past winter was roughly seasonal in terms of average temperatures, it was unusually marked by, give or take, 2 week periods of weather that was either 10 degrees above seasonal or 10 degrees below. As I write, the temperature is about 12 or 13 degrees below the seasonal norm. If this was July it would be 14° today, extremely chilly.

As for the UK, more so than proximity to the ocean, it is the Gulf Stream that keeps the country much warmer than the latitude would suggest. London is at the same latitude as Gimli, Edinburgh is as far north as Thompson, yet both have temperate climates similar to Vancouver Island, though not nearly as wet. If the Gulf Stream weakens, it is expected that the climate of NW Europe will become significantly colder, especially in winter. In contrast, Halifax, which is, within a degree or so, nearly as far south as the French Riviera, has a climate not as influenced by the Gulf Stream and has much colder winters. A similar phenomenon occurs on Asia's east coast. Vladivostok is as far south as Nice but despite its coastal location has winters nearly as cold as Winnipeg, and colder than Minneapolis.

From a personal perspective, and with a memory going back quite a number of decades, the climate is certainly not warming here. The summers in particular seem colder than I remember. I'll look back on the records, but the extended heat waves (32° or above for 3+ days) do not seem to occur as regularly. The real hot days (35°+) also seem to occur less frequently.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 9:26 PM

Those numbers you posted are incorrect. You also didn't post November temps which happened to be the warmest on average in the recorded history of Winnipeg.

Month Avg High Avg Low 16/17 Avg Low 16/17 Avg Low (Celsius)
November '16......-0.5.......-9.2............7.2.........................-1.1
December '16......-8.5.......-17.8.........-9.3.........................-17.4
January '17........-11.3......-21.4.........-9.2.........................-17.1
February '17.......-8.1.......-18.3.........-5.8.........................-14.2
March '17..........-0.8........-10.7.........-1.2.........................-9.3

So in the past 5 winter months, every single average low has surpassed the historical average low, and in some cases significantly so. 3 of the 5 winter months of 16/17 were above the historical average and I would consider all three to be significantly above this (2 degrees celsius or greater) while the 2 months which were below were not so significant (less than 1 degree celsius).

A few trends I have noticed over the past several years....

- We seem to be receiving more warm weather days in October and November. Related to this is the lack of snowfall in October. It seemed every year or every other year, there would be a significant amount of snowfall (over the course of a day or two) that would take place at least once in mid to late October. I think it has been 4 or 5 years since we have had any significant dump (5 - 10 am) or really any snow in October since 2012 or 13. That's very unusual. In fact, it seems like our first big dump of snow hasn't been happening until mid-November. This certainly was not the norm a decade ago.

-smaller and more frequent snowfalls in the 1 - 5 cm range. I seem to remember city officials commenting on this with regards to snow-clearing. Before it was commonplace for our snowfalls to be less frequent but larger amounts. This last winter would probably be an exception to this trend as the majority of our snow came after tow significant dumps in December.

- More cold days in May. Apparently our Mays have become noticeably colder (or more cold days say 5 degrees of more below average) than 30 years ago. Of note was that snowfall we had a couple years ago in late May. I don't ever recall a snowfall so late in the year.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Those numbers you posted are incorrect. You also didn't post November temps which happened to be the warmest on average in the recorded history of Winnipeg.

Month Avg High Avg Low 16/17 Avg Low 16/17 Avg Low (Celsius)
November '16......-0.5.......-9.2............7.2.........................-1.1
December '16......-8.5.......-17.8.........-9.3.........................-17.4
January '17........-11.3......-21.4.........-9.2.........................-17.1
February '17.......-8.1.......-18.3.........-5.8.........................-14.2
March '17..........-0.8........-10.7.........-1.2.........................-9.3

So in the past 5 winter months, every single average low has surpassed the historical average low, and in some cases significantly so. 3 of the 5 winter months of 16/17 were above the historical average and I would consider all three to be significantly above this (2 degrees celsius or greater) while the 2 months which were below were not so significant (less than 1 degree celsius).

A few trends I have noticed over the past several years....

- We seem to be receiving more warm weather days in October and November. Related to this is the lack of snowfall in October. It seemed every year or every other year, there would be a significant amount of snowfall (over the course of a day or two) that would take place at least once in mid to late October. I think it has been 4 or 5 years since we have had any significant dump (5 - 10 am) or really any snow in October since 2012 or 13. That's very unusual. In fact, it seems like our first big dump of snow hasn't been happening until mid-November. This certainly was not the norm a decade ago.

-smaller and more frequent snowfalls in the 1 - 5 cm range. I seem to remember city officials commenting on this with regards to snow-clearing. Before it was commonplace for our snowfalls to be less frequent but larger amounts. This last winter would probably be an exception to this trend as the majority of our snow came after tow significant dumps in December.

- More cold days in May. Apparently our Mays have become noticeably colder (or more cold days say 5 degrees of more below average) than 30 years ago. Of note was that snowfall we had a couple years ago in late May. I don't ever recall a snowfall so late in the year.
I used the average mean temps rather than average daily maximum and minimum. I did not post November 2016 temps as November is an autumn month and I was replying to a previous comment about winter and spring. I did acknowlege that January and February were above seasonal, but overall it was a relatively average winter, in terms of temperatures, but very much "up and down". Both January and February had extended thaws which followed bitterly cold starts to each respective month.

Snow in October in faily uncommon and when it happens it usually melts quite soon after. I am quite certain that there has been no snow on the ground for Hallowe'en trick-or treating since either '95 or '96. November has been terribly unpredictable in recent years. The last two have been milder than normal, while Nov 2014, esp. the last half, was bitterly cold, and Nov 2013 was also below seasonal. First lasting snow usually arrives during the second or third week of November, sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes later, and sometimes not until December. I remember the falls being longer (like last year) in the 1970s and earlier arrivals to winter in the 80s.

You are abslutely right about May becoming colder. Except for last year, every single May since 1998 has has had average daily maxima slightly to significantly below average. May 2016 was above average though and had a unique weather event. It reached 35.2° on the 5th, which was not only a record for that date but was the hottest day of 2016 and the earliest date on the calendar that it has ever reached 35°, May 8, 1874 being the previous earliest, or May 19, 1948 if you want to use only YWG statistics (previous records were maintained at St. John's College). Yes, that snowfall on Victoria Day a few years back was very unusual. I do remember snow once in June, I believe in 1978.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

eh anyone herd of this place has some neat modernist design going on hiden away along the sain just stumbled up on it in google maps
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89436...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...l-24-1.4083961

East Regina is getting a bigger Costco; west Regina's getting a new neighbourhood

Council to vote on new Coopertown neighbourhood, Costco relocation

CBC News Posted: Apr 25, 2017 6:05 AM CT| Last Updated: Apr 25, 2017 6:05 AM CT
Coun. Mike O'Donnell expressed concerns about the neighbourhood initially, saying it was akin to attaching a Moose Jaw-sized neighbourhood to Regina.

Mister O'donnell was one of my teachers.

As a relocator I relish the prospect of more bizznazz.

As a Historian,I insist that any new ground broken should have archeological 'Test Digs' before the plan is fully implemented...because who knows what history is being paved over by the bypass.

Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'

April 26, 2017

Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
A concentration of fossil bone and rock. The unusual positions of the femur heads, one up and one down, broken in the same manner next to each other is unusual. Mastodon molars are located in the lower right hand corner next to a large rock comprised of andesite which is in contact with a broken vertebra. Upper left is a rib angled upwards resting on a granitic pegmatite rock fragment. Credit: San Diego Natural History Museum
High-tech dating of mastodon remains found in southern California has shattered the timeline of human migration to America, pushing the presence of hominins back to 130,000 years ago rather than just 15,000 years, researchers said Wednesday.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-04-humans...ought.html#jCp

Its location a mystery for centuries, huge Indian city may have been found in Kansas
BY ROY WENZL
rwenzl@wichitaeagle.com

ARKANSAS CITY
Make note of the name Etzanoa, a long-lost city. Donald Blakeslee says he’s found it.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by Electric Ashlar; Apr 26, 2017 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:46 AM

Can you keep your pointless drivel out of this thread?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:18 AM

I second that.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Can you keep your pointless drivel out of this thread?
It wouldn't be pointless if they found ancient arrowheads or Pre-Clovis Point Spears and mastadon bones now would it.

No-one cares about your history pappy but you should consider possible relics that may be destroyed by the bypass and Coopertown.

and itz not one brick at a time,but One Ashlar at a time.(check your PM box brick)

Coopertown will enrich me.

Last edited by Electric Ashlar; Apr 27, 2017 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 6:16 PM

Speaking of my point...
http://thesas.ca/regina-archaeological-society/
I Love Regina!

WATCH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFy0apPu9A

Make Your Scene Better:
Jayden Pfeifer at TEDxRegina
TEDx Talks
TEDx Talks

Published on Jun 19, 2012
Jayden Pfeifer is a Regina based actor, improviser, and teacher who has appeared in numerous performances on the Regina Globe Theatre Mainstage. In his TEDxRegina talk, Jayden teaches us how the rules for improvisation can be directly applied to everyday life. This talk was filmed May 16, 2012 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.*
----------------------------------
WATCH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFy0apPu9A
Enjoy the Tedx Talk EA

http://thesas.ca/regina-archaeological-society/

Last edited by Electric Ashlar; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
This. My car is my other wife. I wouldn't let you touch my human wife so the same goes here.
By-law No. 6555/95
No person shall panhandle within 10 metres of:

(a) the main entrance to a bank, credit union or trust company;
(b) an automatic teller machine;
(c) a public entrance to a hospital;
(d) a bus stop; or
(e) a bus shelter

No person shall panhandle from an occupant of a motor vehicle which is:
(a)parked;
(b) stopped at a traffic control signal; or
(c) standing temporarily for the purpose of loading or unloading.

7. No person shall panhandle after sunset

Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with...
(b) a provision of.. a by-law...By-law No. 6555/95

...is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding $1,000. in the case of an individual or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Who enforces this, personally never seen it happen, It's more than out of control in this city..

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:26 PM

AFIK its up to the police to enforce but I don't think they will do anything unless there is a complaint to the non emergency # 204-986-6222.

I don't know if the complainant is expected to remain on site until the police arrive to investigate.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 6:52 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
By-law No. 6555/95

Who enforces this, personally never seen it happen, It's more than out of control in this city..
Agreed. I pass probably at least 6-10 boulevard/intersection panhandlers on my way to and from work every day.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:26 PM

Once in a while the police will be arresting panhandlers and Higgins and Main. Likely because someone reported a problem. Police never do anything. They'll drive right through the intersection, or stop right beside the panhandlers. There's regularly people with walkers standing on the median that's only maybe 2' wide. Hat in hand.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:23 PM

I forget the name of heating contractor but I saw when I was at parked @ Tim Horton's last week they have professionally painted on the drivers side van mirror "sorry no spare change".

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Once in a while the police will be arresting panhandlers and Higgins and Main. Likely because someone reported a problem. Police never do anything. They'll drive right through the intersection, or stop right beside the panhandlers. There's regularly people with walkers standing on the median that's only maybe 2' wide. Hat in hand.
I think Higgins and Main gets attention because they have had a few accidents with panhandlers at that location. Was it not last summer that one or two got run over by the semi's turning there.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Agreed. I pass probably at least 6-10 boulevard/intersection panhandlers on my way to and from work every day.
Dido, it's well organized, I'm not privy to the panhandlers code,but it definitely goes by shift work, who's on scene first, seniority, income per intersection so on..

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 10:55 PM

I see Melissa Martin was named the best newspaper columnist in Canada. what a talent she is..

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I see Melissa Martin was named the best newspaper columnist in Canada. what a talent she is..
Agreed. She's good. I hope the FP can keep her around... no doubt the bigger media outlets will come knocking.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. She's good. I hope the FP can keep her around... no doubt the bigger media outlets will come knocking.
Really? Last time transit was in the news, she took a ride on a bus and then wrote an article about it as if she was doing some kind of intrepid investigative reporting. Then this week, same thing, she takes a walk through the skywalk and then writes a bunch of bloated self-important drivel about it. As if riding a damn bus or going into the skywalk is entering some dark underworld that no one knows about but she's going to expose it to the masses. She's a younger, female Gord Sinclair Jr. I don't see any substance in anything she writes, just flowery language.

Edit: a quick search confirmed my suspicion that she's actually written not one, but two separate articles where all she did was ride the damn bus and then write about how she rode the bus. No wonder people don't wanna pay for the Free press anymore.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...328296141.html

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...413860623.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan