HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I wonder if this experience would turn anyone off from investing in a condo in the future now
Investing in a condo and investing in a pre-construction condo are very different things as a lot of people are seemingly going to learn with this project.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:53 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Investing in a condo and investing in a pre-construction condo are very different things as a lot of people are seemingly going to learn with this project.
Also from d Condo.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wonder if that ship has sailed... condos were still appreciating reasonably fast when this thing was first floated what was it, 5 or 6 years ago? It's not that attractive of an investment anymore. And a lot of condos have been built in Winnipeg since then so the market has been somewhat saturated.
Exactly, this is the unfortunate aspect of it...so many potential buyers, committed to something that will never come to fruition, that could have been either living downtown by now or put their $ toward another condo that would be finishing construction soon

I wonder if they are receiving some reassurance from some sale office or something that this project is still on track to be built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finessing View Post
I was referring more to the syndicated mortgage buyers, not the condo buyers.
My apologies!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Very true. One thing the city did right here is to have stipulations on displaying tangible development. Otherwise, they may have been allowed to dig a hole and drag this out (like what happened in Regina)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Also from d Condo.
On the plus side, at least d condo has materialized into something

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:59 PM

I am one of those "Stupid" investors as Finessing puts it. I did not know much about these types of investments and to be honest I was trusting of the folks that sold me on it. I did not do my homework and research this company or I would not have invested with them. I only found out about Fortress through this website because I was looking for development on the project. Once all the dirt started to surface on these guys it was too late for me and other investors. I have a bunch of documents but the jest of it is that our investment was "guaranteed" against the property which as we all know now was overvalued at 10 million dollars and really worth a 3rd of that at most. Construction hasn't started so no money was spent on that which is probably a good thing. So as far as I can tell money was spent on design, advertising, sales center and whatever commissions they kept for themselves. All I can hope for now is that the RCMP confirm what they already know and that this company is stopped in their tracks. I doubt very much I will ever see any of my money but I know (or was told anyway) investor money is being held in trust and was only supposed to be advanced (released) when certain milestones were met. If there is a thread of truth to this there should still be a substantial amount of money held in trust. Time will tell

BTW if other investors are reading this and you hear of any litigation or law suits please share on here for us to see.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah too bad. The fact that it garnered sales does indicate there is a market though for living in a new tallest. If someone came along and proposed a condo in the new tallest range I'm sure it would sell
I agree. There is interest in a downtown condo and the fact it was all the top floors that sold the fastest indicates that some people do want the view and wouldn't be happy in a 15-20 story building. That lot was a great spot as it was close to all the amenities of downtown. It's too bad that a reputable firm like Artis or True North wasn't behind the SkyCity project instead of Fortress.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive View Post
I am one of those "Stupid" investors as Finessing puts it. I did not know much about these types of investments and to be honest I was trusting of the folks that sold me on it. I did not do my homework and research this company or I would not have invested with them. I only found out about Fortress through this website because I was looking for development on the project. Once all the dirt started to surface on these guys it was too late for me and other investors. I have a bunch of documents but the jest of it is that our investment was "guaranteed" against the property which as we all know now was overvalued at 10 million dollars and really worth a 3rd of that at most. Construction hasn't started so no money was spent on that which is probably a good thing. So as far as I can tell money was spent on design, advertising, sales center and whatever commissions they kept for themselves. All I can hope for now is that the RCMP confirm what they already know and that this company is stopped in their tracks. I doubt very much I will ever see any of my money but I know (or was told anyway) investor money is being held in trust and was only supposed to be advanced (released) when certain milestones were met. If there is a thread of truth to this there should still be a substantial amount of money held in trust. Time will tell

BTW if other investors are reading this and you hear of any litigation or law suits please share on here for us to see.
Are you a syndicated mortgage investor or did you "buy" a condo unit? Only the latter would have trust funds.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
On the plus side, at least d condo has materialized into something
Though not necessarily for those who put down deposits.

d Condo / 390 collected $1.5 million in deposits from purchasers. The purchase agreement required that the deposits be insured under the Blanket Home Warranty program before being released to 390. They weren't. (PDF, starting bottom of page 28) $93,000 is left.

Since dCondo is being finished, the old purchasers have been given the option of being credited those deposits if they use them to sign a new purchase agreement at 390. At new pricing, of course.

Which raises a question about SkyCity: Syndicated mortgages aside, were the condo buyers' deposits insured? Were they handed over regardless?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Though not necessarily for those who put down deposits.

d Condo / 390 collected $1.5 million in deposits from purchasers. The purchase agreement required that the deposits be insured under the Blanket Home Warranty program before being released to 390. They weren't. (PDF, starting bottom of page 28) $93,000 is left.

Since dCondo is being finished, the old purchasers have been given the option of being credited those deposits if they use them to sign a new purchase agreement at 390. At new pricing, of course.

Which raises a question about SkyCity: Syndicated mortgages aside, were the condo buyers' deposits insured? Were they handed over regardless?
They are probably held in trust if it is like Capital Pointe.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Are you a syndicated mortgage investor or did you "buy" a condo unit? Only the latter would have trust funds.
Syndicate mortgage holder, Not sure Trust funds is the best term. I would have to go through all the paperwork again but my understanding is they cant just access all the money without proving each step of the development. I guess I will need a lawyer to look at my paperwork, at least so I fully understand what if any security I have.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They are probably held in trust if it is like Capital Pointe.
And d Condo. Except that it didn't work out that way.

I'm wondering if the deposits for SkyCity and Capital Pointe are held "in trust" by Building & Development Mortgages Canada Inc. (BDMC). That is, a different branch of Fortress residing at the same address. 'Cuz that would really stress that trust.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:49 PM

Well my broker has pretty much washed his hands of me. Here is his recent response to me.

"Please see attached for recent memos for your review. All client contact and inquiries are now supposed to be directed to FAAN:

Email: Info@FAANMortgageAdmin.com
Telephone Number: 416-606-3338
Toll-Free Telephone Number: 1-833-495-3338

Please give them a call as they will now always have the most up to date information concerning your investment - also because we've been asked to not be the 'middle man' information-wise going forward."

Would like to post the Memos but not sure how to post PDF files

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
And d Condo. Except that it didn't work out that way.

I'm wondering if the deposits for SkyCity and Capital Pointe are held "in trust" by Building & Development Mortgages Canada Inc. (BDMC). That is, a different branch of Fortress residing at the same address. 'Cuz that would really stress that trust.
Nope. Deposits are being held in trust by a well-known Winnipeg law firm. Cheques made out to that firm "in trust".

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:46 AM

Here are the 2 Memos I received yesterday, I welcome any helpful input.

From FMP Mortgage Investments (Fortress)

We are sorry to announce that FMP Mortgage Investments Inc. will be submitting an application to surrender its mortgage brokerage license. As a result, FMP Mortgage Investments will be suspending all business operations indefinitely.

Several recent developments have negatively impacted our business. Recent police activities related to syndicated mortgages have been widely reported in the media, and we are completely in the dark as to the reasoning behind this activity, as well as the current or future status of companies we have partnered with in the past.

FMP Mortgage Investments is also without a principal broker. Provincial law requires all mortgage brokerages to have a licensed principal broker to supervise mortgage activities. The law also prohibits us from communicating with our customers regarding their specific mortgages until such time as we have a new principal broker in place.

Our primary concern has always been and will continue to be for you, our customers. Unfortunately, due to recent circumstances, we will no longer be able to serve you. However, we have every confidence that the new mortgage administrator for all of the syndicated mortgages that FMP Mortgage Investments has brokered, FAAN Mortgage Administrators, will continue to represent your interests and answer all of your questions.

Below you will find a document containing information and directions on who to contact with any mortgage inquiry you may have, to ensure you can receive responses to your questions during this transition period.

We want to reiterate that the closure of FMP Mortgage Investments will not impact the projects associated with your mortgage investments. The developer and its consultants and contractors remain responsible for completing the projects on time. As always, we remain confident in real estate as an asset class, and expect that the developers will do their best to ensure their projects are successfully completed, refinanced, or sold in a timely manner.

Thank you for having lent money in a syndicated mortgage through FMP Mortgage Investments.

This is the Memo From FAAN

April 25, 2018
Attention: Lenders in BDMC Syndicated Mortgage Loans
RE: BUILDING & DEVELOPMENT MORTGAGES CANADA INC. (“BDMC”)
The purpose of this letter is to advise you of developments concerning the engagement
between BDMC and FAAN Mortgage Administrators Inc. (“FAAN Mortgage”) in respect of
managing BDMC’s mortgage administration duties.
As you are likely aware, on February 22, 2018, BDMC wrote to lenders to advise that BDMC had engaged FAAN Mortgage to assume responsibility for the management of all of BDMC’s mortgage administration duties in connection with the syndicated mortgage loans listed on Schedule “A”. That engagement was part of a settlement between BDMC and the Financial Services Commission of Ontario relating to the regulation of syndicated mortgage loans.
On April 20, 2018, pursuant to an order of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List) (“Appointment Order”), FAAN Mortgage was appointed as trustee (“Trustee”) over all of the assets, undertakings and properties of BDMC. The Appointment Order was issued following an application made by the Superintendent of Financial Services pursuant to section 37 of the Mortgage Brokerages, Lenders and Administrators Act, 2006, as amended, and section 101 of the Courts of Justice Act, as amended.
A copy of the Appointment Order and the Application Record, which contains the materials filed by the Superintendent in connection with its application for FAAN Mortgage’s appointment as Trustee, is available at www.faanmortgageadmin.com.
As was the case prior to the issuance of the Appointment Order, as Trustee, FAAN Mortgage will continue to manage the administration of the syndicated mortgage loans, including:
(i) corresponding and transacting with borrowers and lenders, including, where
appropriate, signing various documents on behalf of BDMC in connection with
requests for subordination or other matters;
(ii) reviewing and communicating with lenders regarding any borrower requests for,
among other things, a subordination of a syndicated mortgage loan to construction
lien financing;
(iii) reviewing and communicating with lenders regarding any borrower requests for,
among other things, an extension to the dates established in a syndicated mortgage
loan, including completion dates and payment dates;
(iv) remitting payments to lenders; and
(v) if necessary and appropriate, taking enforcement action where a syndicated
mortgage loan is in default.
FAAN MORTGAGE ADMINISTRATORS INC. | 920-20 Adelaide Street East Toronto, Ontario, M5C 2T6
For clarity, the Trustee is not appointed over any of the projects with syndicated mortgage loans administered by BDMC (“Projects”) and the applicable developers/borrowers remain in control of the Projects.
The Trustee continues to review the status of the Projects and the syndicated mortgage loans, and to communicate with the developers and borrowers to understand project timelines and potential outcomes for the syndicated mortgage loans. As relevant information becomes available, the Trustee will continue to keep lenders apprised of the status of their syndicated mortgage loan, including the underlying Project, by sending notices and other communications directly to lenders and/or by posting notices to the Trustee’s website. Please note that FAAN Mortgage has been receiving an extremely high volume of calls and emails, particularly since the events of April 13, 2018 and media reports. In order to allow us to respond to you in a timely and efficient manner, we kindly ask that prior to calling or emailing you reference the list of frequently asked questions attached to this notice. We understand that this is a very unsettling time for many lenders and we are working diligently to provide you with relevant information and clarity. Please note that if there are urgent matters that you as a lender require notice of, we will send a communication directly to you. We thank you for your cooperation.

Yours truly,
FAAN MORTGAGE ADMINISTRATORS INC.
IN ITS CAPACITY AS COURT-APPOINTED TRUSTEE OF
BUILDING & DEVELOPMENT MORTGAGES CANADA INC.
AND IN NO OTHER CAPACITY
FAAN

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:20 PM

April 26/18 CBC Manitoba report on SkyCity

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...633589?cmp=rss

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:50 PM

Is it officially dead yet?

I’m not a faan of this.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post

I’m not a faan of this.
I see what you did there

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post

I’m not a faan of this.
Once the RCMP get involved it's probably over, even if there has been no official statement to that effect yet.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
April 26/18 CBC Manitoba report on SkyCity

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...633589?cmp=rss
Quote:
"I can tell you that any deposit funds that have been paid to this firm are still safely in our trust account," said lawyer Doug Forbes, of Winnipeg's Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP.
Confirms that buyers deposits are safe which some people have questioned.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Confirms that buyers deposits are safe which some people have questioned.
As a Syndicated Mortgage investor I am wondering if it is better at this point if this thing gets canned completely. I assume that because construction has not started that expenditures would be at a minimum any therefore and losses to the "lenders" would be also be minimal.

Last edited by Naive; Apr 26, 2018 at 3:22 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan