HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, we're not going to see a stadium built between the two cities for the same reasons we have continued to not see any kind of joint airport as has been speculated before. I'm not really into sports of any kind at all, but I've never gotten why teams based in suburbs was a thing. Show of hands, how many Texas Rangers fans are there here?
I'm one, but if SA landed a Major League team, I'd switch right quick.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I'm one, but if SA landed a Major League team, I'd switch right quick.
I think what he is trying to say is that Arlington is too far from Dallas. But, I think since Arlington is just Dallas' playgroud, they've done an AMAZING job accomodating entertainment in that area. From Six Flags, to Texas Live!, to three beautiful stadiums that are always hosting something.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post
I think what he is trying to say is that Arlington is too far from Dallas. But, I think since Arlington is just Dallas' playgroud, they've done an AMAZING job accomodating entertainment in that area. From Six Flags, to Texas Live!, to three beautiful stadiums that are always hosting something.
Arlington is quite the hot spot between Dallas and Fort Worth. Unfortunately, too many people in this area see San Antonio and Austin in the same light. Yeah, New Braunfels, San Marcos, hell even Schertz/Cibolo, are quite charming, but SA and Austin will not share major league franchises.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing high speed rail between SA and Dallas. Parts East toward Houston probably don't warrant it quite yet.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 5:40 AM

Not for nothing, but if you guys find some time, there's an Amazon documentary called "A Class Apart". It's about a case that went to the Supreme Court and codified Latino rights.

It also has some nice pics of 1950's era downtown San Antonio.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 8:15 PM

Saw that documentary - " A Class Apart". It helped Latinos, some. I will watch it again,
however I was it on PBS, the best I can remember.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 9:15 PM

New book on Mountain Cedars challenges long-held myths

https://sanantonioreport.org/new-boo...ng-held-myths/

In a compelling new book, Austin environmental planner and ecologist Elizabeth McGreevy asks Hill Country landowners and land managers to put down their chainsaws and rethink their relationship with Ashe juniper, locally known as Mountain Cedar.

Her 578-page paperback, WANTED! Mountain Cedars, Dead and Alive, lays out the case for reconsidering Texas’ most hated tree.

"For example, contrary to popular belief, Mountain Cedars are not an invasive species. The tree has been native to Texas for millenia. Juniper pollen was found in a cave in north central Bexar County and dated to be more than 10,000 years old. The Spanish in the 1700s and the Germans in the 1800s used Mountain Cedars to build their homes, missions, and barns."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:33 AM

In my Opinion, Oh Restless One,

As I entered yesterday, I have seen the film " A Class Apart". Better off to watch a more modern documentary called "Latin History for Morons" by John Leguizamo. It tells the history of Latin American contributions to the United States ever since the Revolutionary War. And. There are contributions in each and every war since. Also included are historical contributions, always left out of American History books.
It is actually a Broadway Play with a twist, taped live onstage, and is available via, Netflix which is where I happened upon it. This play received great critical reviews. So good was this play that Mr. Leguizamo has taken it on the road all over the country. It is standup comedy at its' best and Leguizamo plays it, all by himself.
Leguizamo is a comedian. It is a documentary alright but hilarious. Leguizamo can portray a wide array of character roles and does a very good job at it. This is the very character who starred in the "John Wick" movie as the chop shop owner to whom the Russians took John Wicks Ford Mustang Mach l , so as to have the car title changed illegally. A remarkable portrayal too. I thought.
I have also seen him play even, Robert Kennedy, in one film I watched which I cannot remember the name of however.
Anyway this play is historically accurate and hilarious. A very rare element, humor, always missing in documentaries is included. Not all Hispanic contributions of course are included, only the more remarkable ones.
Tonight, Mr/ Leguizamo will be the guest of Stephen Colbert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Not for nothing, but if you guys find some time, there's an Amazon documentary called "A Class Apart". It's about a case that went to the Supreme Court and codified Latino rights.

It also has some nice pics of 1950's era downtown San Antonio.

Last edited by forward looking; Oct 29, 2021 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 4:23 PM

I have to say, I agree with Ms. Martinez.

Noise and public art complaints stifle San Antonio’s vibrant culture

https://sanantonioreport.org/noise-a...brant-culture/

We landed in Southtown and have witnessed a lot of development in the two decades we’ve been here. It has always been a colorful, loud and diverse place. An early memory is having my morning sleep disturbed by yard equipment at the church across the street. I marched out self-righteously to complain and was met with the response, “You live downtown, this is what you signed up for.”

I remember this whenever I hear train whistles, early morning garbage trucks, the high school band (from half a mile away), Spurs fans, helicopters overhead and children yelling. We chose to be here, and not the suburbs, precisely because of the urban appeal. Noise comes with the territory.

But a spike in noise complaints near popular entertainment districts led to the recent formation of a task force and a three-month pilot program in which code enforcement officers respond to noise complaints. The program began in early October and the task force will make recommendations to the city based on the findings.

Another complaint about downtown happenings arose when the Conservation Society of San Antonio sent a letter to Mayor Ron Nirenberg and the City Council requesting “long-range planning” for new mural installations. In the letter, the group argued that “the image of San Antonio is defined by its architectural inheritance, not contemporary art.”

Controlling art and controlling noise is arbitrary and subjective, and these two initiatives both have the potential to negatively impact San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

Controlling art and controlling noise is arbitrary and subjective, and these two initiatives both have the potential to negatively impact San Antonio.
These two initiatives also have the potential to positively impact San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 4:53 PM

Sound or noise? Task force takes the measure of San Antonio nightlife

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...ce-task-force/

The pilot program was undertaken by City Manager Erik Walsh to supplement the efforts of the Noise Ordinance Task Force, which originated in March from an effort by Councilman Clayton Perry (D10) and Councilman Roberto Treviño, who then represented District 1. Both had fielded frequent noise complaints from residents in their districts annoyed primarily by loud music emanating from nearby businesses, and recognized the need for a workable solution.

The 15-member task force is charged with making the existing noise ordinance easier to understand and enforce, “so residents can have peaceful and quiet enjoyment of their home without having to resort to filing a complaint on their commercial neighbors,” according to a council consideration request. Adding to the challenge of revising the ordinance are residents’ concerns that businesses are too well-represented on the task force while businesses worry the group is too focused on a few particular venues and needs better representation from all districts.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 4:56 PM

Preservationists helpless as archdiocese seeks to demolish 108-year-old home in Tobin Hill

https://saheron.com/archdiocese-seek...me-tobin-hill/

On Sept. 23, the archdiocese submitted an application to the city to demolish the 108-year-old Hughes home, telling District 1 Councilman Mario Bravo and others that it had received an offer to purchase the 0.2-acre property, without disclosing the name of the interested buyer. It’s unclear what plans the potential buyer has for the property.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 4:11 AM

I figure this is the best thread to post this in, but as a mid 20s guy... looking for some advice from some of ya'll that have been there done that.

I've lived in SA since '07 and while i've seen the city grow and improve a bunch since then, I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm "wasting my prime" being here in sort of a sleepy city. Seeing the same people from high school when I'm out, people getting married super young, pretty subpar dating options, etc.

I have a few online businesses so I can work from anywhere, and sometimes I think about moving to Austin or Fort Lauderdale to be around people that are more my speed.

I do have a lot of connections here now, and moving somewhere completely new and starting over on the ground level is a factor I'm keeping in mind too.

So if you were in my shoes, mid 20s, making pretty good money, would you stay in SA to be near family and bet on it improving and getting in on the ground level per se for future opportunities... or go somewhere else where the action is?

I know it's a random question lol but any insight is appreciated!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 7:00 AM

Go! Live some place else for a while. It'll be great for you in the long run.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 3:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Many older people say their biggest regret is not having had more experiences... like traveling, meeting new people, having conversations with strangers, having passionate romances, whatever the case may be. When you're on your deathbed will you look back and think, "I'm so happy I made a lot of money in my home town" or "I'm so happy I have so many great memories?" The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but you can't have that middle unless you try it all.

I grew up in San Antonio and the fact that I spend time in the San Antonio forum is testament to the fact that it will always be a part of me. But at 18 I moved to Austin to go to UT, then after college I lived at the beach in California, then I spent many fun years in my 20s and 30s in New York City, and now I live in Boston. During all that time I've been to 44 states, traveled all over Europe, I've gone to Canada, Mexico, Pakistan, Taiwan and soon I'll be going to Africa. I have great memories of all that travel, the people I've met, the conversations I've had, the friends I've made, and yes, even some passionate romances. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't have to... it is the world.

You say you have connections and can work remotely. You seem to have an adventuresome spirit. So give it a shot.

edit: Try living in a different city a month at a time. Rent a place through Airbnb or some other way to do a short-term rental. Explore the city while you're there, talk to people, see the sights, experience the weather, wear a mask, gain experiences and see what you like and don't like. Have fun.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Nov 21, 2021 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2021, 9:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Here's a somewhat different take from someone in a similar position (me, though about 5 years ahead of you). I too have a job that is fully remote, am from SA and have felt the call of distant lands. Apart from some brief stints in College Station and New Mexico, I've lived my entire life in San Antonio. San Antonio in a lot of ways doesn't really fit the lifestyle I'd theoretically want to live. I absolutely despise driving, and ideally I would live somewhere I could bike/walk/transit everywhere. The Hill Country is nice but I would really prefer to live near some mountains. So, I really should be living in one of the big east or west coast metros. And like you say, I've felt frustration and above all boredom with our general provicialness. So, the exciting big cities have always called me.

But I've stayed, and I'm putting down roots. Partly, I'll admit, that's just inertia. But there's a lot of good reasons I stayed:

-Most of my close friends and family either live here or close by in Austin. Family is important to me, and I'm just not the kind of person who makes new friends easy.

-On a relatively modest salary I can afford to own a home in a neighborhood I adore that is close to lots of places I like to be, and at least allows us to live "car light" by walking and biking to stuff around us and taking the bus whenever I go downtown. And since I don't commute my partner and I share a vehicle. This is maybe the principal reason to be honest. There's lots of cities I would prefer to live in, but they're all pricier than SA. I could make it work of course, but I definitely wouldn't be able to live in such a neat, centrally located neighborhood while still saving money to do crazy things like retire. At least not if I wanted to own a place, if you're down to just rent forever then this is less of a concern. Point being, I'd probably rather live in like Capitol Hill in Denver than my hood here in SA, but the actual choice for me in real life is between my SA hood and like Aurora, CO or some other god awful suburb on the edges of an exciting big city.

-I have a partner with similar roots and feelings about place. I lied earlier I guess, this is the most important reason. haha

All of this is to say, I've thought about this a lot, and my life probably just wouldn't be any better anywhere else. San Antonio is not the best place to be, but for me personally it's the place that allows me to live my best life due to my personal circumstances.

This isn't to put SA down in the slightest. It can be a magical place that gets down in your soul, and I'm sure that's been a factor in my hanging around as well.

As for wondering if things are going to "improve" here... idk man. I think what you see is what you get in that department. If you really need a more stimulating city atmosphere around you to thrive, it's probably a better idea to go seek that out somewhere else than waiting for decades for that to materialize here. Yes, SA has gotten more trendy restaurants and bars. But at it's core the city has not changed, imo. Now, I like that, give me that funky lame SA charm any day (see my user name!). But it's not for everyone.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 3:02 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone, appreciate it! Probably should have added in my original post that from like 17-21 I was traveling a ton. Lived off Michigan Ave in Chicago with a friend for a while, spent a lot of time in LA/Toronto/NYC, etc. So I have a general idea of what it's like out there in different places. I think a lot of it is social media influence and the "grass is greener" syndrome lol. It's easy to get caught up watching other peoples lives and feel like you're missing out.

Family is definitely really important to me and that's something I realized over those years of being all over the place. I'm starting to think I might end up getting a place down by the Pearl for a year or so and see how it is. I've been up in Stone Oak ever since we moved here when I was a kid so maybe it would be a good opportunity to be around fresh faces since it seems like that's where a lot of the out of state transplants end up. Haven't really been able to figure out the demographics of the people who live down there vs the tourists but it's probably worth a shot.

Worst comes to worst, I'll give Austin another try in a year or so. Sucks that it's getting so expensive to be in the middle of the action but hopefully by then I'll be making enough to afford that lifestyle comfortably haha.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:46 PM

Shoes,

I , was in your shoes at one time, years ago. Many, now. I left San Antonio but first commuted all over the place until I finally moved away and then married! The sole regret I have for having made this decision is that any precious time I had left to be with my parents, was gone. Grand kids too.
This decision is a bit analogous to elective surgery I think.
Will I really be better off afterwards? With priorities in order and fully thought through, what is the most important? Agonizing over this decision and postponing the possibly inevitable will only prolong anxiety.
Do the painful thing now so that life will become better afterward?

Or, will it? Really? I do not know your answer, nor can I give what is going to be truly, good advice for you. If I look back in time now though, and after having made a decision similar to yours; Having lived through life's experiences what decision would I make ? What if I could change that decision magically?
By the way I love the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and the Hollywood areas ( the place is paradise in the lower 48 states). I would say, recommend, Move. To stay in S.A.will always leave you wondering, for the present. A transplantation will answer all doubts. Maybe. There are so many variables in life.....that at your age staying might work out so well that there was no true reason for leaving. You have your entire life ahead of you, it all will work itself out no matter what your geographical location. I left San Antonio at 28 years of age. Maybe a decision to move will work itself for you in fantastic ways. Who really knows? Go for it, if this is a good possibility. This might just be for the best for you and your future family.
Also, by the Way, Michigan Ave. in Chicago is gorgeous in the summertime.
Wintertime is the coldest I've ever seen.
Unless, if , your immediate family is the number one priority of your life; Then I would recommend, staying. "We all come into this life surrounded by family and leave this world surrounded by family." Those you leave behind will suffer at this possibly, regrettable decision, a loss. Maybe? This type outcome will stay with you. Always. What is number One?
For me, when I do glance backward, leaving was somewhat regrettably, the best decision to make, OGalex. Yes.
answerQUOTE=theOGalexd;9457127]I figure this is the best thread to post this in, but as a mid 20s guy... looking for some advice from some of ya'll that have been there done that.

I've lived in SA since '07 and while i've seen the city grow and improve a bunch since then, I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm "wasting my prime" being here in sort of a sleepy city. Seeing the same people from high school when I'm out, people getting married super young, pretty subpar dating options, etc.

I have a few online businesses so I can work from anywhere, and sometimes I think about moving to Austin or Fort Lauderdale to be around people that are more my speed.

I do have a lot of connections here now, and moving somewhere completely new and starting over on the ground level is a factor I'm keeping in mind too.

So if you were in my shoes, mid 20s, making pretty good money, would you stay in SA to be near family and bet on it improving and getting in on the ground level per se for future opportunities... or go somewhere else where the action is?

I know it's a random question lol but any insight is appreciated![/QUOTE]

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:56 PM

@theOGalexd to add to my own experience. I have lived in SA most of my life, but I have also had the opportunity to live and study overseas in grade/middle school when I was younger. I have been fortunate throughout my life to be able to travel around the US, Mexico, Canada, Europe, and Asia.

I wanted to attend college out of state when I was younger, but had a family business that kept me in town so I completed my undergrad and graduate studies here as well. I am in the IT field now and about six or seven years ago I considered moving to Austin or even Dallas for more opportunities in the field. However, that too has seen a shift with jobs and opportunities in IT and other professional fields here continue to improve and from a monetary or professional perspective, it is not a net gain for me to move in-state to Austin, Dallas, or Houston. Particularly with IT and specifically cybersecurity, I believe there will be tremendous growth here in about 2 to 3 years and UTSA's new data science school downtown will be a tremendous catalyst. Not only for IT/Cybersecurity jobs, but for livability in the urban core as well.

There are things still lacking here, such as public transit, airport non-stops, or other certain amenities. Comparisons with other similarly sized cities will always be a +/-. Yes, I would also encourage you to try out the Pearl or other areas of the urban core for a year or so and I agree with you that there will always be the 'grass is always greener' mentality no matter where you live. If you talk to most people that move here for work or other reasons, they tend to be bullish on San Antonio. Many older natives to this area seem to be stuck in the past and hold on to the mindsets of the way things used to be here and refuse to see the positive changes that continues to occur.

If we want this city to continue to improve and compete with other parts of the state or country then we need to continue to invest in it to truly make it a 'world-class city'. I want this city to surpass Austin, Dallas, etc in every conceivable metric and I am not content with being second place.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

Do it now while you're young. Just picking up and going is harder as you get older. You have more responsibilities... spouse, kids, older ailing parents, property ownership, etc. Maybe think of it as going walkabout. Maybe a 4 seasons walkabout. Pack what you can fit in your car and go live somewhere for the spring, somewhere else for the summer, the fall and winter. Then you'll have had four experiences in four seasons. And then you'll have a better idea of if you want to return.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Do it now while you're young. Just picking up and going is harder as you get older. You have more responsibilities... spouse, kids, older ailing parents, property ownership, etc. Maybe think of it as going walkabout. Maybe a 4 seasons walkabout. Pack what you can fit in your car and go live somewhere for the spring, somewhere else for the summer, the fall and winter. Then you'll have had four experiences in four seasons. And then you'll have a better idea of if you want to return.
Agreed, it's always good to go and experience somewhere else for a whole year to know what you want. However, I grew up in Pheonix, moved to San Antonio, went to college in Chicago, and now live in Dallas. I will say the grass is not always greener on the other side. You're always going to have something in a city that you dont like. San Antonio to me was always more authentic than any other place that I have lived. That's why I hope to move back one day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio