HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The further east you go the more expensive it comes. There needs to be a certain separation distance between the highway and the tracks so to move them sufficiently east you'd be adding (presumably) over $100,000,000 to the cost.

The City of Regina is effectively treating the Bypass as a border with only light industrial being placed on the outside. If you look at the City's growth plan there will be no more residential development east of Tower Road in the next ~50 years.

The main reason to move further east is to benefit folks in the RM of Edenwold (White City/Balgonie/Pilot Butte/Emerald Park) who are effectively paying 0.1% of the cost of the project. The City is kind of getting raked over the coals financially since the project is mainly to benefit the trucking industry and the RM of Edenwold yet they're contributing a grand total of 0.1% of the cost of the project yet Regina is expected to pick up tens/hundreds of millions.

Since Regina is paying far more per capita than the RM of Edenwold is it's only natural that the project design takes into account City concerns over RM concerns.
I agree. It just amazes me how some people are so absolutely positive that the bypass is in the wrong place. When you dig deeper though, they always have a self-interest.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:31 PM

+1 Yup well said. I don't think they (People of WC/EP/PB) realize how much of a benefit to travel times and safety this is going to be to them. When you take in the neighborhood of 90% of the trucks off Victoria Ave East and; have proper free-flow high speed corridor with no chance of an at-grade crossing from Highway 10 to the city limits. This will be a MUCH safer place.

Also one of my big things is the calling of the large flyover being un-safe. These highways have to be designed for 130km/h operating speed so that there is redundancy. Also if it is winter and it gets icy. I say that maybe it is a good idea to slow down. Like you would on ANY OTHER ROAD.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
+1 Yup well said. I don't think they (People of WC/EP/PB) realize how much of a benefit to travel times and safety this is going to be to them. When you take in the neighborhood of 90% of the trucks off Victoria Ave East and; have proper free-flow high speed corridor with no chance of an at-grade crossing from Highway 10 to the city limits. This will be a MUCH safer place.

Also one of my big things is the calling of the large flyover being un-safe. These highways have to be designed for 130km/h operating speed so that there is redundancy. Also if it is winter and it gets icy. I say that maybe it is a good idea to slow down. Like you would on ANY OTHER ROAD.
Like the guy who said a semi would fly off the curve and land on top of an oil train passing underneath. Just like the risk of plane crashing into the Co-op Refinery. Sure it could happen...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Like the guy who said a semi would fly off the curve and land on top of an oil train passing underneath. Just like the risk of plane crashing into the Co-op Refinery. Sure it could happen...
Exactly, and by the same token a Semi could lose control on the current bridge hit the barrier flip and land on an oil train. There is no more likelihood of this happening after the bypass is built than there is now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Exactly, and by the same token a Semi could lose control on the current bridge hit the barrier flip and land on an oil train. There is no more likelihood of this happening after the bypass is built than there is now.
But we're now paying all this money for the exact same chances of it occurring. We all know how Reginians don't want the city to spend money on anything.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:36 PM

haha yea, I think we are all aware of that fact. City Residents don't want tax increases but they still want world class infrastructure and streets that are perfectly smooth like Southern California. With the time constraints and money we have to work with I think the CoR is doing a pretty good job at doing what they need to do.

Especially in dealing with growth that has NEVER been seen in this province since it was first incorporated.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:40 PM

Our taxes are so low. The lowest property taxes of a major city in Canada. Combine that with low density sprawl (high infrastructure cost per person) and it's pretty easy to tell why the roads suck.

People want to drive on high quality roads but refuse to pay for it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:51 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I thought I recalled some previous discussion on how the planned intersection some 400 metres east of Tower Road was actually probably the best choice, but couldn't find it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:53 PM
arf

Quote:
Our taxes are so low. The lowest property taxes of a major city in Canada. Combine that with low density sprawl (high infrastructure cost per person) and it's pretty easy to tell why the roads suck.

^Saskatchewan's property taxes, both Regina and Saskatoon are some of the worst in the country. Where are you getting your numbers for that assertion? Every thing I ever find points to high property tax rates with respect to valuation of property and the lowest commercial to residential ratios.

Now, our amount of infrastructure (especially at the provincial level) is absolutely insane for our tax base. Totally agreed on that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:59 PM

https://www.regina.ca/opencms/export...highlights.pdf

Per capita we pay lower municipal taxes than Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver.

A huge part of it to is both Regina and Saskatoon get fleeced by the provincial government. Last time I did the math every community in Saskatchewan is subsidized by either Regina, Saskatoon, or mining land.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 5:18 PM
arf

Quote:

Per capita we pay lower municipal taxes than Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver.

A huge part of it to is both Regina and Saskatoon get fleeced by the provincial government. Last time I did the math every community in Saskatchewan is subsidized by either Regina, Saskatoon, or mining land.
That is one way of looking at it and I've never seen comparisons based on per capita for municipal taxes. Everything I've seen shows our rates per valuation way higher than most of Canada.

Globe and Mail
Business News Network

Per capita doesn't really help me as a single income family. Are the family units within Regina that much larger than other cities? Getting my five year old working would probably help me see my taxes rosier.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:

I've never quite understood why millionaire farmers pay so little tax on their very valuable commercial lands, while the single mother in city has to pay through the nose for her condo. I guess it is the same reason that the single mother has to subsidize millionaire dairy, chicken and egg farmers with artificially high, government regulated prices.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I've never quite understood why millionaire farmers pay so little tax on their very valuable commercial lands, while the single mother in city has to pay through the nose for her condo. I guess it is the same reason that the single mother has to subsidize millionaire dairy, chicken and egg farmers with artificially high, government regulated prices.
You're throwing out the term "millionaire" quite freely. As far as farmland taxation is concerned, compare services received. No water, no sewer, no lighting, no pavement, no garbage pickup, no recycling, no sidewalks.

Now, production control systems likely have their origins in protecting the viability of small family farms. Admittedly, this no longer really applies and I can't really justify them. They would be very hard to get rid of tought, like telling taxis their licenses are all null and void. However, at one time, these systems were likely the only reason that single mother would have had eggs or milk to buy at all.

Last point, not too many of us have to invest millions in equipment to have a chance to make a living, never mind real estate. Then have to turn around and put in tens of thousands annually with the hopes outside factors like weather don't destroy your income.

I grew up on a small family farm so I am sensitive to blanket negative statements directed towards an industry that feeds people.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthunder77 View Post
You're throwing out the term "millionaire" quite freely. As far as farmland taxation is concerned, compare services received. No water, no sewer, no lighting, no pavement, no garbage pickup, no recycling, no sidewalks.

Now, production control systems likely have their origins in protecting the viability of small family farms. Admittedly, this no longer really applies and I can't really justify them. They would be very hard to get rid of tought, like telling taxis their licenses are all null and void. However, at one time, these systems were likely the only reason that single mother would have had eggs or milk to buy at all.

Last point, not too many of us have to invest millions in equipment to have a chance to make a living, never mind real estate. Then have to turn around and put in tens of thousands annually with the hopes outside factors like weather don't destroy your income.

I grew up on a small family farm so I am sensitive to blanket negative statements directed towards an industry that feeds people.

I think farmers are great contibutors to our economy and society and agree they can have a lot invested and at risk. I know many extremely rich farmers and even more moderately rich ones. It just seem that some of the the subsidies, special treatment and government back stops are outdated and unfair.

As you know hardly anyone in an RM gets much service, but resort properties and industry can have punitive taxes compared to farms.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 1:08 PM

Most of the farms also aren't in City limits. If anyone needs to get their taxes raised its people in the RMs of Edenwold and Corman Park. They're making out like bandits.

I'd say RM of Sherwood, but it seems like they have their own problems.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:22 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:

People like my dad; who thinks that the taxes are right and think raising them is an awful idea. XD

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:27 PM

There are now construction zone signs on #6 highway at the location where the future interchange will sit three miles south of Regina. No one seems to know what type of work is going to start there in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
There are now construction zone signs on #6 highway at the location where the future interchange will sit three miles south of Regina. No one seems to know what type of work is going to start there in the near future.
Probably the creation of the support ramps for the overpass. Don't they like to pile the dirt and let is settle for about a year?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 10:31 PM

There is also a saskpower line that I assume has to be buried underground at the interchange location. I would have assume most work happening this year would happen adjacent to the existing highway and not affect traffic that much, but it will be a photo radar enforced construction zone for whatever they are doing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:05 AM

Went for a bike ride tonight and decided to test out the CPR Overpass.
(sorry for the size)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan