HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Does anyone think there is a chance of an interchange being built at Pipeline and the Perimeter in the near future? Considering that is one of the busiest sections of highway in Manitoba and someone dies or is maimed there at least once a year you would hope eventually something is done about it. I drove through there last week and again almost saw an accident from someone crossing over to turn.
When the time comes to make the North Perimeter Highway a limited access freeway, Pipeline Road should the the top priority to have a diamond interchange.

There's always a fatal accident there and the province needs to address that sooner than later.

It's probably gonna take another 20 years unfortunately.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 1:06 PM

North Perimeter is easy. It's pipeline and #6. Rail/farm overpass east of #7. Sturgeon was a RIRO. The rest being closed.

I guess there's still the few location on the east perimeter. I call it that, ya.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
North Perimeter is easy. It's pipeline and #6. Rail/farm overpass east of #7. Sturgeon was a RIRO. The rest being closed.

I guess there's still the few location on the east perimeter. I call it that, ya.
From 59 North to Portage it would be Pipeline - convertible diamond, King Edward - future convertible diamond with possible developer funding and Sturgeon - likely a full interchange in support of CentrePort development.

From 59 N to HWY 1 East we are likely talking Weznel - convertible diamond, Gunn, full interchange, Dugald/HWY 15 - diamond.

The east stretch is likely to add more access points as that side builds out more but it will hopefully be conditional on developer funding into those projects.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:57 PM

Here is the link to the 101 public engagement study. I thought Sturgeon was a RIRO. But it's a closure with future interchange.

https://engagemb.ca/north-perimeter-safety-review
https://gov.mb.ca/asset_library/enga...esentation.pdf

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:00 PM

It would make sense to convert King Edward to a simple overpass combined with the railway track nearby. No need for an interchange there.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:13 PM

oh great, more traffic lights on the perimeter...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:23 PM

The Wenzel and Gunn traffic lights are already happening IIRC. Haven't been out that way in a while. But this summer at latest I believe.

Perimeter will be maxed out for traffic lights. Not sure they can squeeze anymore in lol Maybe on 100 at Symington.

Seriously though. The solutions at those small intersections are so simple. One bridge, simple diamond. Really not expensive.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 4:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Lights at Wenzel are already up and operating...a couple months I believe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 8:09 PM

I Was just browsing the gov man perimeter site . I was looking at the diagrams again and couldn’t help but wonder if they are going to include the rail overpass with the hwy3 interchange. Any thoughts?!

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 11:46 PM

Ya it's part of it from my understanding. Part of the realignment and access road reconfigurations.

I wonder if they'll go with the 4 lane McGillivray ultimate design option, since they're looking at design study and twinning of mcgillivray in the budget.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 11:57 PM

Also the south perimeter projects page was updated with schedule for st Mary's and the 60% design plan. Looks the same as the previous design. The AT path is such an out of the way route.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I Was just browsing the gov man perimeter site . I was looking at the diagrams again and couldn’t help but wonder if they are going to include the rail overpass with the hwy3 interchange. Any thoughts?!
Very unlikely. They would have added it as part of their announcement. It would be too big of an add on to not mention.

The rail line is far enough away from the location of the interchange that they can be separate projects, and that rail line is so infrequently used it's not the priority among the south perimeter projects.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 3:46 AM

It's right at the end of highway realignment. It would be a massive failure for their plans and waste more money rebuilding the highway again in the future. The other nearby interchanges are future locations, so all the access points will be closed from wilkes through to PR 330. They have to build it IMO.

Thered be a freeway from CCW to PR 330. Rail overpass needs to be part of the McGillivray project.

Then youd have 2 sets of projects left. St Anne's and the rail overpass. Kenaston, PR 330 and rail overpass. Symingtom road just close until future.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:36 AM
BANNED

And then we get someone crying about closures on the Perimeter over a once in a lifetime medical event and complaining the Perimeter god forbid becomes an actual limited access modern roadway!

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And then we get someone crying about closures on the Perimeter over a once in a lifetime medical event and complaining the Perimeter god forbid becomes an actual limited access modern roadway!
I read that article in the Free Press and I was surprised the reporter presented the resident's case without providing any sort of insight as to why the Province would do what it did.

The whole point of cutting off at grade access points is to make the highway safer by eliminating conflict points. Maybe it would be good for Mr. Exurbanite to have ambulances come to his house 40 seconds faster, but I guess it's too bad for those in the vehicles that will have to endure X number of extra crashes per year as a result of that.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 7:21 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yeah, that article was a crock of s***. Let's keep those access points open, so that a 3 people living near there will have access to ambulance services at the detriment of literally everyone else, all while you need other ambulance services at intersections like Gunn Road and Pipeline Road, because you have vehicles blowing through traffic lights like a bat out of hell.

Screw that article.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I read that article in the Free Press and I was surprised the reporter presented the resident's case without providing any sort of insight as to why the Province would do what it did.

The whole point of cutting off at grade access points is to make the highway safer by eliminating conflict points. Maybe it would be good for Mr. Exurbanite to have ambulances come to his house 40 seconds faster, but I guess it's too bad for those in the vehicles that will have to endure X number of extra crashes per year as a result of that.
As I've mentioned numerous times ( and taken a lot of flack for it) the Free Press has become a garbage rag that usually only presents one side of a story as their reporters are so friggin lazy!

Lost in the article was the improvement in safety with all the closings!

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 12:44 PM
the first stamp is free

The CTV news hour at 6 had an interview with the woman from that story as well.

It wasn't just a free press story.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 3:54 PM

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=54364

There was a Friday news release regarding MB/Fed funding. Release sates: The Manitoba government has fully taken advantage of all available federal infrastructure funding...

I call bullshit. While yes they did finally partner on said projects. It was only after painstaking negotiations. NEWPCC for example.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:23 PM

The main takeaways from the medical emergency off the Perimeter story are that the access roads need as much attention as closing the long established access points and that there should be an access point to the Perimeter every 2 km (approximately 1 mile) which is not the case in that portion of the Perimeter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan