HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Manitoba and Winnipeg are the absolute worst at Federal funding. For some reason. It's ridiculous.

Partially because we don't have a lot of money to match funds. But we can be doing a much better job in planning and getting more funds, and using it wisely. Not just highways, but everything.
Yea planning and having projects ready to go when federal dollars are available would be ideal.

I hope that is the approach they have in mind. where the province continues to chip at the lower cost interchanges sequentially, and then when the feds are splashing money around, shift to a more expensive project. That way it might even end up costing the province the same dollar amount but get a bigger project done.

Hopefully that's another positive from the South Perimeter Study (and eventual North Perimeter study), where we know exactly what needs to get done at every intersection with an approximate cost, and pulling the trigger on a project happens much quicker than it has in the past. Also hoping the new premier can get better relations going with Ottawa than Pallister pulled off.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:44 PM

IIRC Manitoba is paying the full cost of St. Mary's interchange. It's part of the Manitoba Restart funding program.

$65 million. We'll see where the bids come in because that seems low. Maybe they have funding agreement that hasn't been announced yet. If we can be building these projects for $65 mil, there is no excuse for how slow this is going. That $20 mil per year during construction. 59N/101 was $200 mil with a lot more roadworks and complex interchange.

But IIRC again, Brian P was too proud to accept federal dollars from Trudeau. That was his theme. He said it on camera.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It didn't help that we had a premier who was morally opposed to taking money from Ottawa. Were there any provinces that left as much money on the table as we did? We sure showed Trudeau...
Just saw your post. Ya... owned the Libs!! I'll give my conservative voting friends credit. They had enough of Brian P. Did some good things. Mostly not though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
101/59 from 2015-18? It's been over three years since that interchange opened (a rebuild, not even a new one)
For all intents and purposes that was a completely new build. Nothing of the old structure was rebuilt.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
For all intents and purposes that was a completely new build. Nothing of the old structure was rebuilt.
The point is that it's a replacement of previously existing infrastructure, it didn't really add anything to the original other than tying in the NE Perimeter segment.

I guess it felt new because it took 20 years to get the job done.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:30 PM

Looks like the Perimeter improvements going on have a new name:

"Winnipeg One Million Perimeter Freeway Initiative"

That was referenced in today's highway construction news release which was focused on random paving projects across the province scheduled to take place in 2022.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:41 PM

Not sure which I like more. That one or the "Manitoba 1, 2, 3, 4 great summer thing" haha

I HATE that the Heavy Construction Association, basically a pseduo lobbying union type thing, being involved at all.

GTFO.

The union type orgs run this province.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:57 PM

The MHCA is the opposite of a labour union

It's the lobby that represents the construction industry.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:17 PM

Basically the same thing except they don't bargain wages. It's an association that companies pay for, a lobby group.

Why is a lobbyist at a Provincial press conference? Why are they involved at all?

Why is my professional organization not at this presser giving their opinion? We're going to make milllllllions from this, seriously.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:37 PM

Is it also coincidence their newest client is CanWhite Sands Corp. The group in the news today trying to get the silica sand mine going. Which is fine and dandy. But not when their lobbyist group is press schmoozing with the Province.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 6:07 PM

Any mention on the st Mary’s interchange yet? Already mid November!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:27 PM

Nope. Maybe somebody in the know has more info.

IIRC the extended deadline was end of Oct. for pricing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Nope. Maybe somebody in the know has more info.

IIRC the extended deadline was end of Oct. for pricing.
Addendum 20 came out on Tuesday. Pricing still goes in November 30th. The winner will be contacted December 10th. I don't think any work will get done in 2021.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:26 PM

Talking

I don’t get why they aren’t at least getting on site to clear the trees. I’m sure they have an idea of who will be working on the project. I’m just itching to see this happen already since this interchange was announced almost two years ago already. It’s funny when they say shovel ready projects.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I don’t get why they aren’t at least getting on site to clear the trees. I’m sure they have an idea of who will be working on the project. I’m just itching to see this happen already since this interchange was announced almost two years ago already. It’s funny when they say shovel ready projects.
It's only 30% designed. There are three groups approved to submit bids. Only one of the three will be selected. There would be no time savings by clearing the trees now. I don't see how it could be considered shovel ready.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 2:13 PM

Did they say it was "shovel ready"?

That's probably one of the silliest terms there is. Virtually no project is shovel ready.

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=48528

They still have some time to meet there 2021 construction start target.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:22 PM

"Shovel ready" just become one of those buzz phrases that somehow stuck. "Interstate quality" didn't last long though

It's hard not be a little envious of the big infrastructure announcement in the US this past week. It feels like all of our infrastructure projects in Manitoba are piecework... small town water treatment plant here, repaving a section of road there. We haven't seen much movement on that front since the heyday of the big Chretien infrastructure funds some 20 years ago. it would be nice to get some federal $ to do something significant that isn't just patching up an old thing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Did they say it was "shovel ready"?

That's probably one of the silliest terms there is. Virtually no project is shovel ready.

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=48528

They still have some time to meet there 2021 construction start target.

I can’t remember where I heard it haha.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:16 PM

I wasn't trying to be an ass either. haha

From my point of view being involved in these types of projects.

The study was completed in 2018 or something like that. In 2020 during the depths of the COVID pandemic, the Province announced the interchange not only as a recovery effort, but also step one of a long term program. Now in 2021, they're poised to award the design build-contract.

Friggin lightspeed.

These delays of a couple months are sure annoying. But relatively minor IMO.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be an ass either. haha

From my point of view being involved in these types of projects.

The study was completed in 2018 or something like that. In 2020 during the depths of the COVID pandemic, the Province announced the interchange not only as a recovery effort, but also step one of a long term program. Now in 2021, they're poised to award the design build-contract.

Friggin lightspeed.

These delays of a couple months are sure annoying. But relatively minor IMO.
No I know!! My posts probably sound full of hate when I post but I’m not trying to be. It’s just stuff moves at a snales pace in this province unlike others and for someone like me who dreams to see the perimeter finally freeway status is just so exciting. I dream that 59, 90, 165, and 17 will one day be converted over to freeway status. It sucks traveling to another city and coming home here to nothing at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan