HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its looks pretty neat from the memorial perspective, but looking South from Canal or near that area, idk, the steps just look odd. But yeah it could just be a matter of better renderings. Eh, still, its a sacrilege to the old design.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:24 PM

What a hack.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:26 PM
BANNED

The east facade is amazing!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:29 PM

The imagine is fuzzy, but I would imagine this would almost "bring back" the twins from afar.

It looks similar in conception to 1 WTC in that both are kind of deconstructed versions of the twins; like someone took the original towers and started whittling away to create a modified profile, but with obviously different results for 1 and 2.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:32 PM
BANNED

There is a high quality image of the Church St facade. This tower is AWESOME!!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
DESIGN

The design of 2 WTC is derived from its urban context at the meeting point between two very different neighborhoods: the Financial District with its modernist skyscrapers and TriBeCa with its lofts and roof gardens. The design combines the unique qualities of each, melding high-rise with low-rise and modern with historical. From the 9/11 Memorial, the building appears as a tall and slender tower just as its three neighboring towers, while the view from TriBeCa is of a series of stepped green terraces. The building is aligned along the axis of World Trade Center Master Planner Daniel Libeskind’s ‘Wedge of Light’ plaza to preserve the views to St. Paul’s Chapel from the Memorial park.

The needs and requirements of its tenants are concentrated into seven separate building volumes, each tailored to their unique activities. The stacking creates 38,000 sf (3,530 sm) of outdoor terraces full of lush greenery and unprecedented views of the surrounding cityscape, extending life and social interaction outdoors. A public plaza at the foot of the building and access to 350,000 sf (32,516 sm) of shopping and restaurants in the adjacent transportation hub and concourses will ensure life and activity in and around the new World Trade Center. The modernist skyscraper and the contemporary interpretation of the pre-modern setback merge in a new hybrid and an exciting addition to the NYC skyline.
Credit:

1) http://wtc.com/about/buildings/2-world-trade-center
2) http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...n_revealed.php

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:34 PM

I'm really wasn't expecting this.

It's so... blocky. I like the terraces on the east side, I just wish it more gracefully bent toward 1 WTC rather than just give the appearance of stacking a bunch of cubes together. Hopefully, like the Nordstrom tower, this will be tweaked. There's potential there but right now, it looks like a 5 year old made this using his jumbo blocks.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:36 PM

Yeah, this tower is awesome. I just saw a photo where the glass looked different, which had me concerned.

Bring on this 1,340 foot mammoth!

Any other city in America would be going crazy!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1217 View Post
I'm really wasn't expecting this.

It's so... blocky. I like the terraces on the east side, I just wish it more gracefully bent toward 1 WTC rather than just give the appearance of stacking a bunch of cubes together. Hopefully, like the Nordstrom tower, this will be tweaked. There's potential there but right now, it looks like a 5 year old made this using his jumbo blocks.
It looks fine from the memorial, but from the north it looks ridiculous. The chintzy news ticker built into the bottom of the boxes is not doing it any favors, either.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:44 PM

They removed the spires from 3

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:46 PM
BANNED

This looks something like 50 HY but much nicer!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:50 PM
BANNED

This design totally works with the WTC as a whole. From most angles, it's perfect!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:51 PM
BANNED

This is on Larry's website!

Also, this really seems to be happening! At first, I thougt there was a decent chance that it was puffery by News Corp to potentially extract a better deal from its current landlord. However, it seems that News Corp wants a modern, iconic HQ!!

Last edited by JR Ewing; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
I hardly comment and the old design was one of my favorites in the city but this... this is just a disastrous mess. I'm so disappointed. I hope its refined and the design changes.
I agree. I think this is somewhat disgraceful. From some angle the tower appears to be falling towards 1 WTC. Blahhh. What a waste of a great design

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:24 PM

Its the return of the box, no shock here. Although its not terrible, it could be worse. But I kind of feel like the interesting side of the tower should be facing the memorial, not the other way around.

I'm guessing WTC3 has now lost its crown spires too? Or is that that just a rendering issue? Value engineering rules!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:28 PM
DENNAB

It's not as bad as I thought it'd be but certainly not as good as Foster's design, also sad to see the spires on tower 3 go.

And why not 1,362 f***ing feet? They had to stop 22 feet short?

It's alright I suppose... at least it's powerful looking and getting built. We'll live.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
This is on Larry's website!

Also, this really seems to be happening! At first, I thougt there was a decent chance that it was puffery by News Corp to potentially extract a better deal from its current landlord. However, it seems that News Corp wants a modern, iconic HQ!!
New York is utterly amazing, mi amigo.

This is just one less potential site for the HORDES of companies looking for new space.

Tishman's spire, 50 Hudson, 335 Madison, et al will all be modern iconic office towers.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:30 PM

Just build it, gotta finish the WTC site up and this is not bad, IMO. Facade looks top notch, and I love a quality facade. If this is what it takes to get it build, just do it.

Spires gone from #3?

Looks 1200' or a bit higher.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:30 PM

I also love the news tickers! How cool!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:31 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Spires gone from #3?

Looks 1200' or a bit higher.
Looks like it, those cheap motherf*ckers

And it's 1,340' I believe. So decent solid height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction