HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:51 PM

The only way for amalgamation to occur right now, would be if the surrounding municipalities already had the services offered by St. John's, either on their own or through St. John's.

From the perspective of planning and dealing with the growing metro region, amalgamation would be huge step in the right direction since it would allow the whole region to be planned cohesively in a thought out manner... unlike the Blackmarsh road area posted up above [last page, didn't realize this would spill over], which I can tell is going to give me headaches while trying to navigte. Eventually, its bound to happen as the cities get larger, services improve across the board, and having 3-4 city councils becomes a stumbling block rather than an aide. Right now, there is no issue with how things run... for the most part anyway, everything functions. But if growth keeps up, then there will likely be cause for amalgamating.

I also don't know why the province would force it, unless it would be part of a larger amalgamation program province wide to reduce the number of town councils. Every little region has had its discussions about the topic at some point or another and there are benefits as well as shortcomings in each case. But in most cases, the services of the larger centre don't trickle down to the smaller, outlying parts of the new municipality unless they are already there to begin with. In Corner Brook, peope in Curling still complain about getting the short end of the stick from the city and they've been part of it for 50 years.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Grace site likely spot for new courts

Government won’t confirm it, but the site of the former Grace General Hospital has been pegged as the preferred location for the new courthouse in St. John’s, The Telegram has learned.

Sources within the provincial justice system say the government-owned site is considered the most logistically convenient and is at the top of the list of potential locations.

When contacted earlier this week, Justice Minister Felix Collins was not available for an interview. However, in a prepared statement, sent via email, he said the province is not ready to make an announcement on the project.
“A new courthouse in St. John’s has been identified as a potential infrastructure development in the future,” the email stated.

“However, this development is still preliminary, including the location of any potential sites.

“It would be premature for me to comment or commit to a potential site as no decision has been made.”

In an interview with The Telegram earlier this year, Collins said preliminary work has been done on the long-talked-about project.

He said a new courthouse was near the top of the province’s wish list in terms of large infrastructure projects in the next few years.

Collins was responding to comments made in January by Newfoundland and Labrador Chief Justice Derek Green, who told a Rotary club gathering of the need for a new court facility.

Green said “courts fly under the radar” for those outside the system.
Green pointed to courthouse infrastructure in St. John’s and throughout the province as examples of where a lack of communication has resulted in projects being sidelined.

Foremost among them were Newfoundland Supreme Court on Duckworth Street and provincial court at Atlantic Place on Water Street.

Supreme Court is in a building more than 100 years old with a staff complement nearly three times bigger than it was designed to hold.

Provincial court is in a space originally meant for retail, and the Supreme Court of Appeal is also cramped and lacking facilities.

According to documents obtained by an access to information request by The Telegram, the location of the new courthouse has been a hot topic among justice officials in the last six months.

Email and other correspondence all refer to the potential new site.
Specific locations have been blacked out according to government policy not to divulge information that would reveal “the substances of deliberations of Cabinet.”

But it appears the location has been narrowed down and officials want the issue settled soon.

Even the chief justice of Newfoundland Supreme Court’s Trial Division has weighed in on what he and other judges believe to be the best locations.

In a letter written May 27 to Donald Burrage, deputy minister of justice and deputy attorney general, Chief Justice David Orsborn said, “On being advised of your recent initiative concerning Supreme Court facilities in St. John’s, I consulted with the judges who sit in the Trial Division in St. John’s.

“As chief judge of the Trial Division, I can advise you that the Trial Division is amenable to the construction of a new Trial Division facility — for use of both the general division and the family division, on the (blacked out) site. At the same time, we continue to support any feasible development on the (blacked out) site.”

Most of the letter was redacted, but it indicates the government might choose to also have provincial court at the potential location.

The final paragraph states, “All this being said, the court views this recent initiative most positively. Through thoughtful and co-operative planning and design — and appropriate funding — there is a real opportunity to significantly improve, for generations to come, the total environment in which family, civil and criminal disputes are addressed in the capital city. We can set an example for the rest of the country.”

Preliminary work done last year included a study commissioned by the province and obtained by The Telegram through access to information in June 2010. It highlighted eight possible locations for a court complex. The plan was prepared by BAE-Newplan Group Ltd. Prices attached to each of the options were blacked out.

Collins said earlier this year those eight options are still being considered. One of them was the Grace General Hospital site on LeMarchant Road.
The hospital closed in 2000 and was demolished in 2008.

Last year, Corner Brook opened a $21-million court complex.

Additions and upgrades have also been made to courthouses in St. John’s and there have been recent investments in video conferencing technology and beefed-up security for provincial court.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...r-new-courts/1

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 4:02 PM

Good. I live up the street from the Grace, and I rather see the site use for this then another cookie cutter development.

A thought comes to mind though. How will Lemarchant Road and area cope with the possible influx of Law Firms moving from Duckworth/Water streets? The area is already full of doctors offices and doesn't the have the type of office space a law firm would be looking for.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 9:23 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The Grace site is large and could be used for many things, but it's a good site for the courthouse. This may be a sign that some downtown functions, offices, etc. will move up and create some more development in this area.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:55 AM

Hopefully the spaces on Duckworth and Water Streets vacated by the Courts will get filled with exciting developments! There seems to be lots of empty buildings on those streets already.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 5:34 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Hopefully the spaces on Duckworth and Water Streets vacated by the Courts will get filled with exciting developments! There seems to be lots of empty buildings on those streets already.
It will probably be years before they do anything. I am assuming that the existing historic courthouse building will still be used in a similar capacity. It would be nice to see some development in the Lemarchant Road area, that's where I think developers should be focusing more attention, creating a high density area close enough to downtown to walk.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:44 PM

Here is a Podcast about the gullivers farm development

Quote:
Gulliver's Farm development
People living next to a proposed residential development off Blackmarsh Road say it'll hurt the neighbourhood. Anthony speaks with Cassie Chisholm, who lives near the Gulliver's Farm, about the development proposal and her concerns.
http://www.cbc.ca/thestjohnsmornings...m-development/

I completely agree with the woman speaking, and at first I thought it would be a case of NIMBY, but thats not the case at all. I'm glad to see neighbourhoods recognizing smart development and desiring it (not suburbia) and not objecting to the proposal because of density.

Here is a podcast about the Torbay Bypass road

Quote:
Torbay bypass road timeline
It's taking so long to get work finished, there are many road-weary motorists in Torbay, Pouch Cove, Flatrock and surrounding areas. The minister of Transportation, Tom Hedderson, speaks with Anthony about when things may return to normal.
http://www.cbc.ca/thestjohnsmornings...eating-policy/

N.I.M.B.Y. Hits Paradise
Quote:
The mayor and town council of Paradise came under fire Monday night for approving, in principle, a mental health facility for youth at the site of the old elementary school in the town. There were about 60 residents in attendance, but only two stood in favour of the project. Other residents expressed concern for their children's safety, and what the facility would do to the value of their homes. All agreed the province needs such units, but those in the Paradise Road area don't want it in their backyards....
Read More at http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=18032

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:29 AM

Gullivers Farm has been described as a "ghetto development". While I don't necessarily agree with such a statement, that development as a whole needs to be rethought, as it stands it's pathetic.

As for the NIMBY-ism in Paradise....well, I don't have much more to say besides some people deserve a good shaking.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Here is a Podcast about the gullivers farm development

http://www.cbc.ca/thestjohnsmornings...m-development/

I completely agree with the woman speaking, and at first I thought it would be a case of NIMBY, but thats not the case at all. I'm glad to see neighbourhoods recognizing smart development and desiring it (not suburbia) and not objecting to the proposal because of density.
Yes! Completely agree... and thrilled to hear somebody using media to discuss the importance of diversity and shared space in the context of high density development... and not just complaining, but participating in a conversation.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
New office tower to be built on Water Street

It was too wet outside to hold an official groundbreaking at the construction site off Water Street, but representatives from East Port Properties and the City of St. John’s announced today, inside the St. John’s Convention Centre, the official start of the first new office building in the downtown area in more than 25 years.

Developed by East Port Properties Ltd. and designed by PHB Group, the building will be six storeys high with a 165,000 square-foot office tower above retail and commercial space and a 446-car parking garage which will include 246 public spaces.

It will also be the first sea water heated and cooled building in Newfoundland and Labrador, tapping into natural sea water beneath the site.

“As a result of years of collaboration by many passionate stakeholders, we’re thrilled to celebrate the groundbreaking of 351,” says East Port Properties President John W. Lindsay. “We are pleased to offer downtown St. John’s a building that incorporates the latest sustainable practices, for a truly healthy, efficient and interesting working environment.”

The site is the former Woolworth’s building between Water Street and Harbour Drive. The name 351 comes from the site’s street address on Water Street.
The completion date of 351 is set for 2013.

St. John’s Deputy Mayor Shannie Duff said the proposed development has already generated renewed interest from other developersin the downtown core.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...Water-Street/1

Quote:
'Littledale' New Home to Hebron Workers

The building formerly known as "Littledale" on Waterford Bridge Road in St. John's has gone through quite a transformation over the last little while. It has now been dubbed the "Tower Corporate Campus" and will house 500 employees of the Hebron project.

The vice-president of Exxon Mobil Canada officially opened the new campus this afternoon. Jeff Parker says the new building has a lot of character and plenty of history. He says the Tower Corporate Campus is giving Hebron an office environment that will foster collaboration, creativity, and innovation. He says the building is very special, and the company will honour the space.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=18107&latest=1

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 11:19 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Gullivers Farm has been described as a "ghetto development". While I don't necessarily agree with such a statement, that development as a whole needs to be rethought, as it stands it's pathetic.

Architectural and planning guidelines like the ones for the Pleasantville development (or similar) should provide good direction for large developments like this one.

If you haven't read this, see the link below.

Among other general planning principles, the following part in particular could be applied for the larger quadraplexes as well:

Quote:
The repetition of form and colour in a single family detached setting
plays a key role in setting the atmosphere of a neighbourhood.
In the Pleasantville Redevelopment area, it is recommended to
stagger house forms and colour schemes to create interest and
variety along the streetscape. House plans and colour schemes
can be repeated along a street, but there must be at least three
diverse houses in between. Likewise, a plan or colour scheme
cannot be repeated directly across the street from each other
and should be offset by more than one house to either side of the
opposing house.

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/file..._17_2010_2.pdf

Last edited by Architype; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 12:57 AM

no parking garage for for 351?

Last edited by codyLawrenceDylan14; Oct 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
no parking garage for for 351?
There will be a 6 level parking garage built for 351 Water

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 2:27 PM

I guess we've hit the pre-wintertime blues! No new posts or updates in a few days now. I guess projects that were given the greenlight and not already started will not be starting until at least spring now. Hopefully there'll be some interesting proposals coming down the pipe soon...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:03 PM

Yeah, I assume the only projects that'll be happening this winter will be the continuation of 351 water as well as the MUN residence houses, though there's a possibility of some new proposals could pop up during the winter months

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 9:17 PM

Some more stuff on 351 water st.

Quote:
New St. John’s office tower design unveiled

Developed by East Port Properties Ltd. and designed by PHB Group, the building is expected to begin welcoming tenants in the fourth quarter of 2013.....

....It’s said to be the first new office building downtown in more than 25 years.
John Lindsay, president of East Port Properties, said his company also manages Scotia Centre which was the last large office building built downtown.
The completion date for the new building, dubbed “351” because of its address on Water Street, is 2013....

...Anyone can rent office space in the building, Lindsay said, and it has already attracted interest from the oil and gas sector.
The company expects tenants will begin moving into the building in the fourth quarter of 2013.
This has some interesting information on the heating/cooling system

read the full article at http://www.nl.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/P...ign-unveiled/1

Opposition to Stavanger Subdivision

Quote:
The City of St. John's has permitted a developer to move forward with a residential subdivision in the Stavanger Drive area, despite concerns raised by the town of Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove. The land on the southern end of Stavanger Drive, east of Aberdeen Avenue, had to be rezoned to allow for the building of 65 single-family detached homes. In a letter presented at a public meeting, Mayor John Kennedy objects to the proposal and requests a moratorium on all development in the area of Stavanger Drive because of problems with downstream flooding. Kennedy's objection was the only one filed on the development. City staff say a residential development will actually benefit the floodplain as the green space will soak up some water...
full article at http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=18201

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:39 AM

Just driving around the city in my everyday routine, I see a ton of construction activity. A few observations:
- 351 Water is coming along nicely.
- Saw 4 excavators working at Fortis property on Springdale St last week. First bit of movement there in a while.
- TD Building re-clad appears to be moving slowly. Not sure if they plan to work through the winter.
- DND building at Quidi Vidi Lake is beginning to rise. Very active site.
- Long term care facility at old Janeway apartment site is very busy. Most steel is erected in west towers. Central section erected, east towers are mostly clad.
- A 5 (?) storey extension is being built at east end of health sciences centre. Steel is just about complete.
- A 3 storey steel building is being built at the corner of MacDonald Drive and Logy Bay Rd (at the site of old Breens Convenience). An odd build, as it is bounded by residential neighbours. I understand this will be new offices for Ron Figuere architects.
- Controversial condo development off New Cove Rd (near Tiffany Lane) is going up. Roof is on, no siding or windows yet.
- Condo development at Margarets Place (?) off Newtown Rd is going up. About the same stage as New Cove Rd above.
- Foundations are in for controversial Irving/Burger King on Torbay Road. Very active site.
- I haven't seen the MUN residences lately, but I presume its advancing well.
- Office building at Kelsey Drive is completed outside (interior outfitting is ongoing), contractor appears to be preparing foundation of second building adjacent to first. (I think the plan was for 4 buildings?)
- Right of ways being cleared between Kenmount and Topsail Roads for completion of Gushue Highway. A sign that construction is imminent?
- Surprised at the level of activity at Harvey Power Center (commercial development in Stavanger Drive area). A large area of land has been prepared for construction, signs that structures are about to rise.

I could probably think of more, and of course there are developments that I'm unaware of too. Star of the Sea, etc... Of course we'd all love to see more Fortis' & 351's, but at the same time there seems to be no shortage of construction in the city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
Just driving around the city in my everyday routine, I see a ton of construction activity. A few observations:
- 351 Water is coming along nicely.
- Saw 4 excavators working at Fortis property on Springdale St last week. First bit of movement there in a while.
- TD Building re-clad appears to be moving slowly. Not sure if they plan to work through the winter.
- DND building at Quidi Vidi Lake is beginning to rise. Very active site.
- Long term care facility at old Janeway apartment site is very busy. Most steel is erected in west towers. Central section erected, east towers are mostly clad.
- A 5 (?) storey extension is being built at east end of health sciences centre. Steel is just about complete.
- A 3 storey steel building is being built at the corner of MacDonald Drive and Logy Bay Rd (at the site of old Breens Convenience). An odd build, as it is bounded by residential neighbours. I understand this will be new offices for Ron Figuere architects.
- Controversial condo development off New Cove Rd (near Tiffany Lane) is going up. Roof is on, no siding or windows yet.
- Condo development at Margarets Place (?) off Newtown Rd is going up. About the same stage as New Cove Rd above.
- Foundations are in for controversial Irving/Burger King on Torbay Road. Very active site.
- I haven't seen the MUN residences lately, but I presume its advancing well.
- Office building at Kelsey Drive is completed outside (interior outfitting is ongoing), contractor appears to be preparing foundation of second building adjacent to first. (I think the plan was for 4 buildings?)
- Right of ways being cleared between Kenmount and Topsail Roads for completion of Gushue Highway. A sign that construction is imminent?
- Surprised at the level of activity at Harvey Power Center (commercial development in Stavanger Drive area). A large area of land has been prepared for construction, signs that structures are about to rise.

I could probably think of more, and of course there are developments that I'm unaware of too. Star of the Sea, etc... Of course we'd all love to see more Fortis' & 351's, but at the same time there seems to be no shortage of construction in the city.
Thanks for the update AllBlack.... I'm glad to hear about the activity at the Harvey Power Centre. The roads were put in a while back and activity in the area was at a standstill since (minus the Rona building).

I'm really interested in the Henry-Bell development; hopefully some new information (or activity) will be emerging from that project soon.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:19 PM

Here's the website for 351.

http://www.threefiftyone.ca/

There are pictures and even a video! However they have changed the front of the building and it doesn't look great.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The website with the video is a nice presentation. Here's a screenshot from the video; but notice that city hall is missing and has been replaced by a park.

http://www.threefiftyone.ca/

Although some features of the building have been changed, most notably that the roofline and front glazing slants are gone, there are also some improvements to detail such as a large central wall feature on the parkade section, harbour side, which helps aesthetically.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's