HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:24 PM

Re the WFH conversation - the pendulum has swung to WFH, it will gradually swing back, of course. But I cannot imagine it fully swinging back to its previous position - having people schlep into downtown cores simply to sit in cubicles doing work that they could do elsewhere makes little sense (aside from optics, or weak management).

Yes - there are absolutely roles and industries where being physically together is either necessary, or makes a lot of sense (creative functions like art, design, brand, marketing, etc) - but does that mean 100% of the time, or regularly coming in, or coming in for specific functions?

There are also plenty of roles - large swaths of the federal government, for example - where the workforce is geographically distributed across the country or world. The people they share a physical office environment with may not work on the same teams, or even within the same division/department.

Managers who think they need to see their cubicle-based employees to 'manage' their performance are simply bad at their job. Their employees shouldn't have to go back to the office to compensate for inept managers... but we know this will be a reason that a portion of these people end up working in an office again - weak managers.

Over the past decade (with about 10 different managers), I've only had one who was in the same province as me. Similar for the teams I've managed over that period - vast majority were based in other parts of Canada (90%). I like being in an office, with people I've come to know - but it's more social than it is necessary to get my job (or that of my team) done.

Prov gov't will end up back in offices for optics, not because they need to be there (just as the prov govt mandated huge groups of employees who were fully-enabled to work remotely back to the office during the summer & fall of 2020... until the govt was unable to suppress the stories about outbreaks in provincial buildings, and their hand was forced).

What I'm saying is that I expect the pendulum to swing back... but there will be a lot of people who end up full-time WFH (or, they're at least given the option to maintain WFH FT, PT, or return to the office).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Thanks. You said it better than I could. I was triggered by BrutallyDishonest2’s initial statement about WFH and it brought back memories of my short but toxic stint at SaskTel where I saw the exact things you mentioned and some. Just a whole lot of BS with no reason behind it. It’s weird that the Sask government cares a lot more about optics than the BC or federal government, for example. Would be nice if the Sask Party kept politics out of our Crowns (pretty sure they accused the NDP of doing the same) but here we are. As an aside, SaskTel will be sold in under 10 years. It is totally being set up to fail. So we can talk about what do with that tower when Rogers or Bell takes over.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 16, 2021 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 11:49 PM

My argument is that we should get rid of cubical and open office to and give everyone an office. A big part of the reason people hate offices is because organizations and consultants have convinced themselves that people like to work in a school-cafeteria like environment.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
My argument is that we should get rid of cubical and open office to and give everyone an office. A big part of the reason people hate offices is because organizations and consultants have convinced themselves that people like to work in a school-cafeteria like environment.
I agree. The smaller cubes get, and the more cookie-cutter spaces get, the less appealing they are to most people I know. The model that was in-place, or taking root just before COVID was essentially unworkable for most everyone.

I envision that progressive employers will use office space to accommodate those who can’t/don’t want to WFH, as well as provide space for employees to touchdown when the need/want to be in the office (think co-working facilities, but owned by your employer).

Employers who suck at managing people, will maintain cubevilles, will mandate in-office presence, and will constantly complain about turnover (and the associated cost of hiring/training). They’ll be confused why they can’t retain.

This being said, I do t think any of us has a crustal ball - but I bet we can agree that the model of work has changed permanently. Not that what we’re doing today is the end state, just that the model that existed pre-March 2020 is dead.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
It’s weird that the Sask government cares a lot more about optics than the BC or federal government, for example. Would be nice if the Sask Party kept politics out of our Crowns (pretty sure they accused the NDP of doing the same) but here we are.
Sask govt is politicized. Has been for decades - under PCs, NDP & SaskParty.

Clearing out public servants when a new party takes office (and then settling wrongful dismissal suits out-of-court) is not normal in any other province or the feds. It’s bizarre.

Rather than “fierce advice, loyal implementation,” the SK govt bureaucracy consistently aims to please politicians. That’s not how the Westminster System works.

The SK public service is beyond repair. I worked in it, and people on the inside honestly believe that seeking Ministerial approval to apply legislation is normal. It’s not. If a politician wants to do something that doesn’t align with legislation, they have the power to change the legislation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Well, I can’t disagree with you there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Sask govt is politicized. Has been for decades - under PCs, NDP & SaskParty.

Clearing out public servants when a new party takes office (and then settling wrongful dismissal suits out-of-court) is not normal in any other province or the feds. It’s bizarre.

Rather than “fierce advice, loyal implementation,” the SK govt bureaucracy consistently aims to please politicians. That’s not how the Westminster System works.

The SK public service is beyond repair. I worked in it, and people on the inside honestly believe that seeking Ministerial approval to apply legislation is normal. It’s not. If a politician wants to do something that doesn’t align with legislation, they have the power to change the legislation.
Damn. Apparently I need to learn my history. I had no idea it was that bad.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:19 AM

Part of the resistance to WFH for the Crowns is that those workers are too key to the downtown businesses. There was a big lobby by Regina Downtown last summer to get Crown workers back in the offices. The restaurants and other businesses need those employees' spending. When SGI was talking a few years ago about building new office space outside of downtown, the city rejected it and said they wouldn't issue permits or sell them land to go elsewhere. Without Crowns, the downtown would likely die.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Part of the resistance to WFH for the Crowns is that those workers are too key to the downtown businesses. There was a big lobby by Regina Downtown last summer to get Crown workers back in the offices. The restaurants and other businesses need those employees' spending. When SGI was talking a few years ago about building new office space outside of downtown, the city rejected it and said they wouldn't issue permits or sell them land to go elsewhere. Without Crowns, the downtown would likely die.
Yeah. This is what I meant about optics. I know dozens who were fully enabled to work remotely, who were ordered back to the office in the summer/fall… no changes to the physical layout/distancing/HVAC, and most hadn’t been vaccinated. No capacity limits, and no mask mandate indoors (unlike other businesses).
But the orders from the executives were to get people back downtown -

(Related: City’s policy on this is shortsighted)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:56 PM
BANNED

That is just a cruel, undignified, and dehumanizing way to use people as tools to subsidize the local business community. I am all for supporting local business, to the point I refuse to use Amazon (for other reasons as well), but people should not be forced to do it. I know some here might disagree but I would love for the Cornwall to die. It has done more damage to the downtown than anything else. Let's turn that into an arena and a theatre (again) and let retail and restaurants fill up the street fronts again.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:29 PM

REAL looking to renovate Canada Centre to accommodate court sports, skateboarding

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/06/17/r...skateboarding/

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/rea...ntre-1.5475242

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jun 18, 2021 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:50 PM

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...es-development

Remediation work to begin on former railyard lands as City of Regina eyes development
There are three locations where the soil must be excavated and backfilled with new, clean soil, a precursor to development of the area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...es-development

Remediation work to begin on former railyard lands as City of Regina eyes development
There are three locations where the soil must be excavated and backfilled with new, clean soil, a precursor to development of the area.
Posted in the Railyard Thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=222965&page=6

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 2:08 PM

REAL has a lot of ideas, but they don't have the $$$ for all these big dreams.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
REAL has a lot of ideas, but they don't have the $$$ for all these big dreams.
Is it really any coincidence that they announce all these plans within a year of Masters being in office?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Is it really any coincidence that they announce all these plans within a year of Masters being in office?
The developers build the buildings not REAL And on that note this new mayor Is the best thing to happen to Regina and many many many years the forget mayor was absolutely horrible all he done was drink coffee

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:17 PM

Quote:
The developers build the buildings not REAL And on that note this new mayor Is the best thing to happen to Regina and many many many years the forget mayor was absolutely horrible all he done was drink coffee
Developers don’t build anything in this city without incentive.

And yes, the mayor who proposed closing Scarth Street, refused transparency throughout her campaign, and has promised budgetary cuts that border on literally impossible is the best thing to happen to this city. /s

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Bahahaha are you serious? I have nothing against her at this point but it hasn’t even been a year since she’s been elected. Get out of here, thefourthtower.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Bahahaha are you serious? I have nothing against her at this point but it hasn’t even been a year since she’s been elected. Get out of here, thefourthtower.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Hahaha!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan