HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:02 AM

I love the crosswalks! And the umbrellas.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:15 AM

Getting this thread back a bit more on topic...

So how many of the masts now have the permanent cables attached? It's a bit hard to tell from the webcams since looking at all those cables makes my eyes tired! Also, anyone have an idea of how many sets of permanent cables are being installed per day?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:50 AM

OMG....what could have been........sigh.
False Creek and BC Place would have been amazing. And check out the Olympic rings atop Grouse in the second picture.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 7:01 AM
Dérive-r

Here's a pic I took today...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:55 PM

Absolutely massive!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
OMG....what could have been........sigh.
False Creek and BC Place would have been amazing. And check out the Olympic rings atop Grouse in the second picture.
Tourists who came to Vancouver generally had very favourable impressions of the city, of the venues etc. We were absolutely blessed with the sunny, warm weather throughout as well (from a tourist perspective, not a competitor at Cypress perspective). Most will remember the great atmosphere downtown and the great weather which enabled fantastic views of the mountains, pleasant walks along seawall etc.

What they don’t know doesn’t matter. It doesn’t make much sense to look at that a year later and say "oh man.....it could have been so much better".

The games were fantastic, it was what it was, and the feel and energy in the city was great, regardless of whether they cut back on a few things. I am born and raised in Vancouver. I thought the look and feel of the city was amazing. I had some friends from overseas visit, their first trip to Vancouver. - they were blown away.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:07 AM
testify

i still just can't get over the ugly fencing and cinder-blocks everywhere, especially on the concord lands and the stadia. like it was pretty cheaply done, and looking at this vision really does bum me out. opportunity missed, definitely.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
i still just can't get over the ugly fencing and cinder-blocks everywhere, especially on the concord lands and the stadia. like it was pretty cheaply done, and looking at this vision really does bum me out. opportunity missed, definitely.
for me, it is a non-issue. everyone knows they are temporary fencing and to expect it be any nicer is asking a lot. i mean, there was a lot of fencing that was put up. i thought the livery and banners did enough of a job to inject some life into the chainmail fences.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
Its nice looking back and thinking what should have been, but it doesnt change the fact that you still dont know what would have been.

Just imagine VANOC going even more over budget, what many consider frivolous spending right in everyone's sight all the time, more complicated run up to the games which would increase risks of corruption, etc. What could have happened was a major negative story being created, protests and increased negative public opinion, blown budget, further loss of trust in government, etc, and the ramifications could have been disproportionally big. Then we would all be saying here we should have cut back, opportunity missed.

What actually was looks pretty good compared to some of the what could have beens in my eyes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 6:27 AM

Thanks Raggedy. The masts on the left side of the photo without the platforms at the top (those that have had the permanent cables attached) look great - much sleeker.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 9:42 AM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 9:41 PM
BANNED

What are thoughts on Vancouver getting a Major League Baseball team once the "new" open-air stadium is complete. I would love to see Vancovuer and Seattle become arch rivals.

I think there is a market for Baseball in Vancouver. The Asian community would support this for sure.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
What are thoughts on Vancouver getting a Major League Baseball team once the "new" open-air stadium is complete. I would love to see Vancovuer and Seattle become arch rivals.

I think there is a market for Baseball in Vancouver. The Asian community would support this for sure.
I would love to see a Major League Baseball team in Vancouver, more so than the NBA.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 2:44 AM

screengrab from bcplacestadium.com

Good skyline picture hinting at things to come.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:27 AM

Considering Montreal and its larger population couldn't hold on to an MLB franchise, I doubt we'll see one in Vancouver for a very long time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
Considering Montreal and its larger population couldn't hold on to an MLB franchise, I doubt we'll see one in Vancouver for a very long time.
Considering Phoenix is larger than Vancouver and can't hold an NHL franchise...

All depends on what the population will be willing to watch. Just because Montreal is bigger doesn't mean Vancouver doesn't have more potential MLB fans.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 5:14 AM
Mac User

I don't see MLB coming to Vancouver, personally I think the sport is boring it's actually punishment to watch.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I don't see MLB coming to Vancouver, personally I think the sport is boring it's actually punishment to watch.
I went to a game in NJ once. don't ask me who was playing. I didn't know nor care, nor did half the people in the stadium. The point of an MLB game is to get really drunk it seems.

I enjoyed it. Don't remember most of it though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post

A response using LARGE generalizations but, no, the community now is mostly mainland chinese and they are only interested in the NBA. Only the taiwanese and japanese and maybe some Koreans would like MLB actually. HKers are mostly interested in the EPL (football), mostly Arsenal or Man U.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:13 PM

from the bc place website this morning:

BCPlace2011: CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: The New BC Place is scheduled to be complete by September 30th

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver