HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 4:13 AM

Vancouver to support Women's Fifa World Cup 2015 bid

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/sp...-world-cup-bid

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 4:20 AM

Is this like... the first ever Women's World Cup or has this existed in the past ? (mostly serious, I had to Google it)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 8:58 AM

No, do you remember the Women's World Cup hosted by the USA in 1999. The US defeated China in penalty kicks and Brandi Chastain the captain celebrated by pulling off her jersey to reveal her sports bra. It caused quite the controversy back then.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I love it. And the glass facade on the stadium really reminds me of the New Wembley.
Absolutely love the new terry Fox memorial it really captures the essence of what he did and how tough it must have been. Very fitting. Coupland had out done himself, cant wait!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 5:42 PM
Mac User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
I just dont want it to be named for some brewery because that is the equivilant to naming it after a tobacco company.
Not that I'm in favor of Budweiser having naming rights, but how is a brewery anything like a tobacco company?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
Absolutely love the new terry Fox memorial it really captures the essence of what he did and how tough it must have been. Very fitting. Coupland had out done himself, cant wait!
Agreed. I'm thoroughly impressed. What great luck for this city to have Coupland!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
Not that I'm in favor of Budweiser having naming rights, but how is a brewery anything like a tobacco company?
I know someone in what I assume to be a senior position at In-Bev in Vancouver and I he stated to me that In-Bev (Budweiser) is not interested in the naming rights to BC Place and that they will be focussing more on the fan experience inside stadia.

And that we had to "look forward to" something with the NHL in the future (not canucks but NHL).

Believe it or not, but that's what I heard from someone I know is on the inside.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I know someone in what I assume to be a senior position at In-Bev in Vancouver and I he stated to me that In-Bev (Budweiser) is not interested in the naming rights to BC Place and that they will be focussing more on the fan experience inside stadia.

And that we had to "look forward to" something with the NHL in the future (not canucks but NHL).

Believe it or not, but that's what I heard from someone I know is on the inside.
The story I saw on the news had the Budweiser VP (or something) flatly saying they are not buying the naming rights. Call me a traditionalist, but you can't go out and rename a stadium that the Queen and the Pope have visited, and that hosted the Olympics. If anything it should be Royal BC Olympic Place.

Regarding the NHL rumor, is it possible that the next Heritage Classic (not the winter classic) will be held in Vancouver. There is nothing really that says you HAVE to play the game in subzero temperatures. The Canucks could easily sell out 3 or 4 games in BC Place.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
Vancouver User

^Ooooo, that would be cool!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 12:07 AM

lol Royal BC Olympic Stadium would be a dumb name And free advertising to RBC

And no there's nothing *saying* hockey can't be played below zero, but if you want ice... I recall them saying the highest temp they could be comfortable keeping the ice at was +3. By the end of the game the ice was pretty see through and you could see the cooling pumps under it and this was with sub-zero temps.

It would be hard to keep BC Place (roof open or closed) with low enough temperatures to sustain a hard ice, with a full crowd especially.

It got pretty bloody hot inside during the opening / closing ceremonies of the Olympics.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 1:32 AM

^ I think the problem with the ice is moisture (i.e. rain, humidity), not ambient air temperature. The temp in any arena is way way above zero. If they have the right ice-making equipment there, I don't see it really being a big issue as long as it's not a typical rainy Vancouver day and they didn't make the wrong decision about the roof.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 2:33 AM
Mac User

I have never been to an arena that was anywhere near as cold as 3c, so I don't see why BC Place wouldn't work. The ice at Robson square does alright and Vancouver is typically quite a bit warmer than 3c.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 2:44 AM
Vancouverite

Why don't they just use the same tech Rogers arena uses?

Because Rogers Arena doesnt have a dehumidifier it uses this special solution to make the ice feel good.

Heck Rogers Arena was voted by the players as one of the best ice in the league.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:04 AM

Keep in mind that in October the Canucks bought all rights to the former Millionaires jerseys, logos and name. Next year will be 100 years from the day the Millionaires begun playing. Ottawa holds the rights to their original jerseys from that period of time. The Millionaires and Senators have lots of history between each other. In 1915 the Millionaires defeated the Senators to win the cup in the first year of a agreement between NHA and PCHA.

Lots of history there for a meaningful Heritage Classic.

Not to mention that the only two teams yet to play in one are Vancouver and Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:08 AM

Then it will likely be in Ottawa Especially considering none of the previous Classics have been in the East.

The ice-level temperature is way different from the temperature of the rest of the building. If you've ever sat first row on the glass you know it's pretty cold.

It would be near impossible to keep the ice that cold in an enclosed building like BC Place with 60,000 people, without the proper ventilation systems in place.

If it was possible, perhaps the Olympic Gold Medal game should have been played in BC Place with a gigantic crowd lol

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:33 AM

Sept 27 1991, Los Angeles Kings hosted an exhibition game against the New York Rangers, outdoors in Las Vegas

The biggest trouble with outdoor games in warm weather is sunlight and rain. There is no technical problem preventing a rink in BC Place. Controlling the local weather is a huge advantage, cold air sinks so long as it doesn't get blown away first.

The Pittsburgh game this year was +12°C and raining

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Then it will likely be in Ottawa Especially considering none of the previous Classics have been in the East.

The ice-level temperature is way different from the temperature of the rest of the building. If you've ever sat first row on the glass you know it's pretty cold.

It would be near impossible to keep the ice that cold in an enclosed building like BC Place with 60,000 people, without the proper ventilation systems in place.

If it was possible, perhaps the Olympic Gold Medal game should have been played in BC Place with a gigantic crowd lol
Yes but Pavco and Aqualini have stated they have been in talks with the NHL for hosting a game at BC Place stadium.

Everything is ready to go and all involved parties have been proactive in making this happen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:00 AM

Also the outdoor temperature in Vancouver is a non issue. Creating a ice surface is easy, in fact it would be easier in BC Place because they would have better control over the climate. Golog explained it well enough.

Infact this got me thinking that they should set up a permanent cooling system and periodically turn the entire surface of BC Place in to a a giant ice rink for the public. It would be incredibly easy to do and maintain since BC Place is like a indoor stadium where surface climate can be easily controlled and the surface is already concrete and leveled. With a cooling system in place all they need to do is throw some tubing across the floor when they want ice and dump some water on it. This should take a hour or so to do each time and then a few hours to a day for the water to freeze. It would be a wicked gift back to the people and imo would be profitable, you can have the ice rink set up several times a year for a few days each or what ever works when there are no other events scheduled.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:42 AM

This was original plan to wrap the city with Vanoc's look of the games. But it was change, they wanted to save money because of the recession.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:58 AM
Vancouverite

OMg, those pics are amazing, If I was a billionaire I would have donated the cash to put those things up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver