HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently the Sackville Memorial Hospital is planning on building a three-season outdoor courtyard garden as a patient wellness project.
Having been there recently, I must say their INDOOR atrium garden is pretty nice, too.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 11:17 PM

The building at 10-20 York St, containing Joey's Pizza and apartments, burned down this morning.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 12:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a big loss for the town. Joey's Pizza was my go to place for a meal anytime I was in Sackville.

T&T photo

Additional CBC photos.

Looks like they had to knock down the building. I hope Joeys was well insured and that they will rebuild (preferably on site). The restaurant was ideally situated next to Mount Allison University.

The old building had a lot of character and charm. It will definitely be missed.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 8, 2023 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 7:02 PM
early dogecoin investor

From what I heard the fire started in the back right corner of the restaurant, and it was a chain of events that caused it.

Last night at about 2am a drunk driver crashed into a power line on Main Street infront of the Waterfowl Park and resulted in a power outage Downtown until about 8:30am, when they turned the power back on it short circuited some faulty wiring in the restaurant and that stated the fire.

It left 4 graduating students who played on the MTA women's hockey team and one University staff member homeless and they got out with nothing but the clothes on their back; No phones or anything. One of the students ran back into the fire after everyone was out to save their neighbours 2 dogs. They're being supported by the University right now and donations from the community have been pouring in which is always good to see. They also set up a GoFundMe https://www.gofundme.com/f/universit...ent-burnt-down

As a MTA student this has left a huge hole in the community. I stood there and watched for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon. They had to tear the building down as they went to prevent it from spreading to the neighbouring buildings and it was quite a surreal sight to see. I hope they are able re rebuild something in the buildings place. Believe it or not this is the second time the building has been completely destroyed by a fire.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by People_talking View Post
From what I heard the fire started in the back right corner of the restaurant, and it was a chain of events that caused it.

Last night at about 2am a drunk driver crashed into a power line on Main Street infront of the Waterfowl Park and resulted in a power outage Downtown until about 8:30am, when they turned the power back on it short circuited some faulty wiring in the restaurant and that stated the fire.

It left 4 graduating students who played on the MTA women's hockey team and one University staff member homeless and they got out with nothing but the clothes on their back; No phones or anything. One of the students ran back into the fire after everyone was out to save their neighbours 2 dogs. They're being supported by the University right now and donations from the community have been pouring in which is always good to see. They also set up a GoFundMe https://www.gofundme.com/f/universit...ent-burnt-down

As a MTA student this has left a huge hole in the community. I stood there and watched for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon. They had to tear the building down as they went to prevent it from spreading to the neighbouring buildings and it was quite a surreal sight to see. I hope they are able re rebuild something in the buildings place. Believe it or not this is the second time the building has been completely destroyed by a fire.
An interesting note about the construction of the building, a firewall was built between the two sections of it, which I'm sure played a part in saving the building on the corner which has the pharmacy. (Which burned down a number of years ago.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, the former Mel's Tea Room space has a new tenant - Wild Carnivore, a pet store will occupy the space. The owners are a couple of Ontario transplants to the town.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 11:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Our friend John Lafford wants to build this at 131 Main Street in Sackville:

T&T photo

This property would overlook the Waterfowl Park.

Proposal is for 71 units, six storeys, reinforced concrete construction with a mix of one and two bedroom units with affordable housing in the mix.

It would appear that Tantramar town council is somewhat lukewarm in it's support. They have already turned down a previous proposal for this property, and I have doubts this will ever see the light of day either. I think the main concern is that the proposal does not suit the character of the neighbourhood

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:

T&T photo

Proposal is for 71 units, six storeys, reinforced concrete construction with a mix of one and two bedroom units with affordable housing in the mix.

It would appear that Tantramar town council is somewhat lukewarm in it's support. They have already turned down a previous proposal for this property, and I have doubts this will ever see the light of day either. I think the main concern is that the proposal does not suit the character of the neighbourhood
That would be absolutely horrendous in that location...maybe the town learned their lesson with that ugly white box monstrosity in the industrial park.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Trouble in Bagtown???

We are in jeopardy of losing our downtown
https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102106598 (paywall)

The article goes on to enumerate a number of recent losses in Sackville's downtown core, including Mels Tea Room, Joey's Pizza and now the Vogue Cinema.

For a downtown as small as Sackville's, the loss of several prominent and popular businesses like this could be a truly crippling blow. It will certainly impact on the attractiveness of the town for university students,

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

T&T photo

T&T article regarding this proposed apartment building:

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102108884 (paywall)

Photo from the article showing where the apartment building will be built.

Neighbours complaints are concerning building height, shadowing, light pollution, noise pollution, appropriateness and the "luxury" nature of the building (I guess they don't want any uppity snobs moving into town).

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Neighbours complaints are concerning building height, shadowing, light pollution, noise pollution, appropriateness and the "luxury" nature of the building (I guess they don't want any uppity snobs moving into town).
This is the most baffling point. They want something cheap-looking instead?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

T&T photo

There is now a brief note on this project on the CCD Canada database:

Quote:
PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK
APARTMENT BUILDING, 131 MAIN ST., TANTRAMAR
Nothing substantive at all, but, at least this project hasn't been squashed like a bug by the NIMBYs yet...........

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
There is now a brief note on this project on the CCD Canada database:

Nothing substantive at all, but, at least this project hasn't been squashed like a bug by the NIMBYs yet...........
Would the apartment building be built behind the existing building that’s there now?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Would the apartment building be built behind the existing building that’s there now?
Not sure. I assumed it was a replacement. Maybe somebody else knows.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:51 PM

This proposed building is behind the grand Fisher House, on the edge of the Waterfowl Park.
https://warktimes.com/2023/06/08/rep...g-at-131-main/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 1:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And, here is a T&T article where Lafford swears he has no ill intent for the old carriage house on this property either.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102129339 (paywall)

T&T photo

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the link to the planning document that will be discussed at the Southeast Planning & Review Committee regarding Lafford's proposal for Main Street in Sackville:

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-23-0348.pdf

The document includes this site plan, showing the relationship between this six storey apartment building and the existing mansion and carriage house on the property.

The building will be well set back from the road, and does not crowd existing buildings on the property whatsoever. Some activists however might protest that it could interfere with the bucolic atmosphere of the waterfowl park.

Planning department staff is recommending PRAC and town council approve the rezoning requirements necessary for this project to proceed.

Quote:
Staff recommend the proposed by-law amendment to increase the height of buildings in the R3 zone from 15.3 m (50 ft) to 19.8 m (65 ft) as it is consistent with current development and construction trends and contributes to providing an option to increasing housing in the community.

Staff recommend the proposed by-law amendment to rezone a portion of the property from Residential Historic Commercial to Urban Residential 3 as it proposes to increase density in the serviced portion of the Town and in close proximity to the downtown and has demonstrated it is capable of meeting the R3 zone requirements.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 1:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

East Coast Dental Centre is building a new three storey mixed use building next to town hall.

The ground floor will consist of dental offices while there will be eight one bedroom apartments on the upper floors.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Final approval for this Lafford project at 131 Main Street in Sackville was given at a recent special meeting by Tantramar town council.

Lafford will be applying for a $1.1M tax break for this building spread over 10 years at the next upcoming town council meeting on August 8th.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also in Sackville, Tantramar town council is exploring the possibility of lifting the two decade long prohibition against new drive-thru restaurants in the town.

This relaxation in town policy would apply at the Bridge Street & Main Street exits onto the TCH, and along Mallard Drive.

The impetus for this review is the continued difficulty in selling the former Pizza Delight restaurant on Mallard Drive. Apparently the current policy has been a deal breaker as far as any interested parties are concerned.

A recent public hearing was held regarding the policy change. Nobody showed up.

I imagine the policy change will be approved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces