HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:21 PM

Tesla's sales and service, while imperfect, are sure showing the weaknesss of the dealer model that OEMs all use.

I've had service a few times too, mobile and at the local service center. It has all been excellent.

I even took my car in to rotate the tires per the owner's manual. They put the car up on a hoist, inspected them and a few other things, and said I didn't need a rotation. $0. When's the last time your dealer did that?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:23 PM

It's probably growing pains to some extent. They have to build the equivalent of the dealer service between without the revenue. It's going to take a while.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Rivian, to me, is what Tesla was a decade ago. Hope they don't turn.
I agree. At this point, when I think of what I'd like EVs to become conceptually, the Rivian comes to mind. Not that it's a truck, but that they seem to have found the sweet spot between new technology, inventive and creative concepts and features, and the practicality that most have come to expect from current vehicles. Likewise I hope they continue in this direction.

Here's a neat little video of using one in a practical setting. It seems to do everything that one would expect of a regular truck (with a small bed), and some things perhaps a little better.

https://youtu.be/7XuvwkIxrXw

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:02 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I agree. At this point, when I think of what I'd like EVs to become conceptually, the Rivian comes to mind. Not that it's a truck, but that they seem to have found the sweet spot between new technology, inventive and creative concepts and features, and the practicality that most have come to expect from current vehicles. Likewise I hope they continue in this direction.

Here's a neat little video of using one in a practical setting. It seems to do everything that one would expect of a regular truck (with a small bed), and some things perhaps a little better.

Rivian seems like a winner on paper for sure, but I would need to see how they do in real life before recommending it or considering it. As others have mentioned there's probably going to be some growing pains and quality issues in the beginning.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Musk can't keep himself off twitter, like Trump in that regard.

Imagine if we got the daily musings of Bezos, Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates (when he was running MS in the 90s). I don't think they'd be much different.
Not just odious tweets (he said the Cdn gov't is the fringe minority he also donates to he trucker cause. Your money...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Not just odious tweets (he said the Cdn gov't is the fringe minority he also donates to he trucker cause. Your money...
Musk loves to stir the pot. He gets enjoyment out of it. Ive personally never been a big fan of his. Unfortunately in todays world I guarantee if you look hard enough you'll find CEO's and big executives of some brands you consume donating to a cause you don't like. In the end, everyone has to make their own decisions.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

This is what you get when you get good technical talent lead by a technophile and autophile who cares about building good cars. I expect they'll do well. And they are attracting great talent too.

I expect a smoother ramp and a less chaotic growth than Tesla. In no small part, because they don't have a manic CEO committed to growth at all cost. And because they are doing their best to learn from all of Tesla's mistakes.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:26 PM

has it been discussed yet what governments will do with the loss of tax revenue collected from gas for cars? and other ICE vehicle taxes etc. that will be lost as we switch over to electric vehicles?

it's being discussed in the UK now.

How electric cars will leave road tax ‘black hole’
MPs warn that electric cars could deprive government of £35bn of revenue

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/polit...ke-up-road-tax

UK needs to revamp motoring tax system to reflect shift to electric vehicles, MPs say

https://www.independent.co.uk/climat...-b2007178.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
has it been discussed yet what governments will do with the loss of tax revenue collected from gas for cars? and other ICE vehicle taxes etc. that will be lost as we switch over to electric vehicles?

it's being discussed in the UK now.

How electric cars will leave road tax ‘black hole’
MPs warn that electric cars could deprive government of £35bn of revenue

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/polit...ke-up-road-tax

UK needs to revamp motoring tax system to reflect shift to electric vehicles, MPs say

https://www.independent.co.uk/climat...-b2007178.html
Of course, transit systems have sponged off motorists for years. Why do you think they want a mileage tax.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Of course, transit systems have sponged off motorists for years. Why do you think they want a mileage tax.
What?

Do you understand how much more road infrastructure and maintenance would be necessary of most of the folks taking transit were in single occupancy cars?

Also, find me a place in the world where road maintenance and construction costs actually equal or are less than road and fuel taxes collected.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
What?

Do you understand how much more road infrastructure and maintenance would be necessary of most of the folks taking transit were in single occupancy cars?

Also, find me a place in the world where road maintenance and construction costs actually equal or are less than road and fuel taxes collected.
The wear and tear done to roads is mostly trucks, busses and other heavy vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 7:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The wear and tear done to roads is mostly trucks, busses and other heavy vehicles.
The roads will take more of a beating with EVs too, since they are heavier than ICE cars.

It will come as a rude surprise the EV users once mileage taxes are developed and applied........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 8:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

If we're going to maintain current road capacity we're going to have to fund it somehow. However, I think during the EV transition we should just take the shortfall out of general revenues as a transition subsidy. That being said, this further illustrates why not all the problems with high car usage can be fully solved by EVs. Meaningfully reducing (which does not mean eliminating) car usage must be part of the solution.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 8:30 PM
Great White Norf

I really like the Kia EV6
available in AWD
quick (0-60 times between 3.5-5.1 sec), good range up to 317mi/510km(wikipedia)

Ultra fast charging capability: up to 210 miles/338km in 18 minutes

Looks Nice!

Kia EV6 Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0161
Alexander Migl, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

The growing lineup of new electric vehicles available to Canadian consumers:
https://electricautonomy.ca/2022/01/...acker-q1-2022/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Sure. My point was that the road network is still substantially subsidized by governments. So let's not pretend it's transit mooching off drivers.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 9:48 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Transit vehicles, of course, are an infinitesimal fraction of said heavy vehicles. Though is there actually any data confirming that the heavy vehicles on our roads cause more damage to asphalt than private passenger cars when you consider the real numbers of both?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I really like the Kia EV6
available in AWD
quick (0-60 times between 3.5-5.1 sec), good range up to 317mi/510km(wikipedia)

Ultra fast charging capability: up to 210 miles/338km in 18 minutes

Looks Nice!

Kia EV6 Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0161
Alexander Migl, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

The growing lineup of new electric vehicles available to Canadian consumers:
https://electricautonomy.ca/2022/01/...acker-q1-2022/
Genesis GV60 also looks pretty cool. Saw a couple parked at the Hyundai Canada HQ in Toronto the other day. hyundai/Kia have some really cool products in the market at the moment, and the Ioniq 5/EV6 are probably the best BEVs on the market.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Transit vehicles, of course, are an infinitesimal fraction of said heavy vehicles. Though is there actually any data confirming that the heavy vehicles on our roads cause more damage to asphalt than private passenger cars when you consider the real numbers of both?
Relative impact is estimated using the Generalized Fourth Power Law.

https://www.insidescience.org/news/h...s-do-our-roads

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Though is there actually any data confirming that the heavy vehicles on our roads cause more damage to asphalt than private passenger cars when you consider the real numbers of both?

I expect in most of Canada the weather causes a majority of the damage for municipal streets.

Some small side-streets, which get a weekly garbage truck and occasional snow plow, still get resurfaced every ~30 years. Large multi-lane streets with a large number of transport trucks seem to be every ~20 years. Those same streets in a place like Miami might last more than 50 years between major maintenance.

Major highways with heavy high-speed traffic and lower tolerance for flaws (potholes) are a different matter; but that's a minority of the resurfacing work. Costs are high (per sqft) due to a desire to keep closures very short and outside peak-use periods.

Last edited by rbt; Feb 7, 2022 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
I expect in most of Canada the weather causes a majority of the damage for municipal streets.

Some small side-streets, which get a weekly garbage truck and occasional snow plow, still get resurfaced every ~30 years. Large multi-lane streets with a large number of transport trucks seem to be every ~20 years. Those same streets in a place like Miami might last more than 50 years between major maintenance.

Major highways with heavy high-speed traffic and lower tolerance for flaws (potholes) are a different matter; but that's a minority of the resurfacing work. Costs are high (per sqft) due to a desire to keep closures very short and outside peak-use periods.
Scandinavian countries seem to manage their infrastructure quite well, despite the weather.

Perhaps because they've yet to buy into our low-tax 'freedom' nonsense?

American inspired - Canadian adopted, as usual.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada