HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:03 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
I do not understand the thinking in moving the filling station to a position next to the historic Sedgley Porter's House in Fairmount Park. On the one hand, there is the quite beautiful ca. 1803 Gothic Revival cottage standing in its original location. It is a work by one of the country's major architects (Benjamin Latrobe, who designed the U.S. Capitol), and a relic of the grand rural estate that used to be in the area before it became a park. And now they want to put a generic gas station in a very different style, from a different location, and from an entirely different era (ca. 1920), next to it? It makes no sense, either historically or esthetically. Aviator Park, which is just a few blocks from the gas station’s original location, would have been more logical.
I agree-find a spot on the Parkway. It's like they will spend money to restore it but tuck it away from foot traffic to not show it off. Heck, why not after restoring, lease it out and make it a coffee/drink/snack shop in the tourist area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:29 AM
Midrise

Quote:
I do not understand the thinking in moving the filling station to a position next to the historic Sedgley Porter's House in Fairmount Park. On the one hand, there is the quite beautiful ca. 1803 Gothic Revival cottage standing in its original location. It is a work by one of the country's major architects (Benjamin Latrobe, who designed the U.S. Capitol), and a relic of the grand rural estate that used to be in the area before it became a park. And now they want to put a generic gas station in a very different style, from a different location, and from an entirely different era (ca. 1920), next to it? It makes no sense, either historically or esthetically. Aviator Park, which is just a few blocks from the gas station’s original location, would have been more logical.
Oddly, the Art Commission members in their meeting on Wednesday, at which they approved the site plan unanimously, were utterly effusive in their praise of the site selection. Art Commission Chair Robert Roesch (a sculptor) remarked: "I think this is a great little spot. I can't believe how much the architecture matches. It must have been built around the same time."

Never mind that the c. 1930 Gulf station was constructed almost 130 years after the Sedgley Porter’s House.

The stream of the Zoom meeting is archived online; skip forward to 1:30:24 for the filling station presentation: https://dpd-public-meetings.s3.amazo...n_Feb82023.mp4

Also, public comments by Suzanna Barucco of the Historical Commission’s Committee on Historic Designation at 1:41:06 calling out the inappropriateness of the site and stressing the importance of historical context for the designated filling station. And I commented as well, beginning at 1:50:00.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:38 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Oddly, the Art Commission members in their meeting on Wednesday, at which they approved the site plan unanimously, were utterly effusive in their praise of the site selection. Art Commission Chair Robert Roesch (a sculptor) remarked: "I think this is a great little spot. I can't believe how much the architecture matches. It must have been built around the same time."

Never mind that the c. 1930 Gulf station was constructed almost 130 years after the Sedgley Porter’s House.

The stream of the Zoom meeting is archived online; skip forward to 1:30:24 for the filling station presentation: https://dpd-public-meetings.s3.amazo...n_Feb82023.mp4

Also, public comments by Suzanna Barucco of the Historical Commission’s Committee on Historic Designation at 1:41:06 calling out the inappropriateness of the site and stressing the importance of historical context for the designated filling station. And I commented as well, beginning at 1:50:00.
My god that was terrible to listen to, I don't understand why they think thats a good spot. 100's of other good spots in the city.

Also JayFar Nice comment and voice I always assumed you were 20 or 30. I guess I was off a little.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 5:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your remarks at the commission meeting, Jay. You spoke very well. I am astonished, though, that during the entire presentation, none of the commissioners mentioned the significance of the Sedgley Porter's House — one of the small jewels of Fairmount Park. Establishing proper historical context for the early 20th-century filling station is important, but the 220-year-old Porter’s House by Latrobe is irreplaceable. It seems, in fact, if I understood them correctly, that there are plans to park truck trailers in front of it, blocking views from the park. Incredibly, nobody challenged that.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 10:09 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Does anyone know what the objections were from nearby institutions?
The historic filling station will no longer be moved to Aviator Park but instead 3250 Sedgley Drive/.

Filling Station Relocation
https://www.phila.gov/media/20230203...m49qgiHTMoZNYU
Copying from my notes in P.I.C.H.: At the November meeting of the Art Commission, where the Aviator Park site was reviewed, the issue was raised that 3 nearby Parkway institutions — Moore College, the Academy of Natural Sciences and the Franklin Institute — felt blind-sided by the site selection and had serious objections. Particular aspects of their concern seemed to revolve around ongoing homeless camping in the park and that the structure might end up as a sort of attractive nuisance and target of vandalism, somehow exacerbating that issue.

The commission also had concerns that there were no concrete plans for a specific viable reuse after the move and that the plan as presented — with wood to be temporarily inserted in window spaces — was lacking in visual and landscaping detail.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 10:23 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
My god that was terrible to listen to, I don't understand why they think thats a good spot. 100's of other good spots in the city.
According to a source at Parks & Recreation who was involved in the site evaluations, other sites looked good until they examined the possible routes for the physical move — various sorts of obstructions and such along potential routes figured into it. Keep in mind also that the developer was working solely with Parks & Rec in obtaining a site, since that was their avenue for gifting the building to the City.
Quote:
Also JayFar Nice comment and voice I always assumed you were 20 or 30. I guess I was off a little.
A little. Thanks. I must admit to being 67 years young. I had just remarked in an email to a friend, “I hate hearing myself speak extemporaneously, bumbling and stumbling a bit and with my old man voice.”

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 10:40 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Thanks for your remarks at the commission meeting, Jay. You spoke very well. I am astonished, though, that during the entire presentation, none of the commissioners mentioned the significance of the Sedgley Porter's House — one of the small jewels of Fairmount Park. Establishing proper historical context for the early 20th-century filling station is important, but the 220-year-old Porter’s House by Latrobe is irreplaceable. It seems, in fact, if I understood them correctly, that there are plans to park truck trailers in front of it, blocking views from the park. Incredibly, nobody challenged that.
Sort of understandable as the statutory makeup of the Art Commission doesn’t necessarily include any architectural historians.
The Art Commission shall be composed of eight appointed members and the Commissioner of Public Property. Of the appointed members, one each shall be a painter, a sculptor, an architect, a landscape architect, a member of the Commission on Parks and Recreation, and an experienced business executive, and two shall be members of a faculty or governing body of a school of art or architecture.
The current members and their professional roles are listed here (scroll to bottom): https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...rt-commission/

I’m less sure of exactly where they’re moving the trailers and such to; I had thought to the other side of the Sedgley Porter’s House. I’ll have to review the meeting stream on that point.

By the way, the necessary amendment to the historic designation of the Gulf station was acted upon by the Historical Commission yesterday. Though their earlier approval to move the building implied that the site would be Aviator Park, the City law department determined that the PHC’s earlier action was site-agnostic and as such the designation amendment was easily approved. While designations typically include a building and its site, since the building’s historic period of significance is tied to the 2000 Arch St location, the building will be redesignated as an ‘object’ upon execution of the physical move.

Here is the submission for yesterday’s PHC meeting: https://www.phila.gov/media/20230208...nt-revised.pdf
“The Law Department reviewed the Historical Commission’s approval of the relocation of the gas station of 14 May 2021 and determined that the approval is valid for moving the gas station to any publicly owned and accessible site in Philadelphia because the primary regulatory question decided at the time was whether the gas station could be moved from its original site, not whether the gas station should be moved to a particular new site.”

Last edited by Jayfar; Feb 11, 2023 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
FYI Google Maps has a new 3D update for Philly. I'm a huge map nerd and I noticed it was a different shade right away lol but it's cool, it looks like it's sometime between September 15-22nd 2022 based on some preliminary digging.
Love when they update the 3D, thanks for the heads up!

Also - does anybody know why Rittenhouse is also called the "French Quarter" on google maps? Is there some French history of Rittenhouse that I don't know about or is this just somebody having too much fun with google maps?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:31 PM

Minor Updates for Two Major Projects in Manayunk & Roxborough

4436R Main Street in Manayunk current site:

Project renderings:

6174 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough current site:

Project rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...unk-roxborough

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:35 PM

3001 Chestnut - Spark Therapuetics Gene Therapy Center - Update from PhillyYimby

https://phillyyimby.com/2023/02/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:38 PM

Site Cleared At 1101-33 South 9th Street In The Italian Market

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has noted that site prep work has finally begun at 1101-33 South 9th Street, the site of a proposed seven-story, 157-unit mixed-use building in the Italian Market in South Philadelphia. The structure will rise at the southeast corner of 9th Street and Washington Avenue, replacing a large parcel that has long sat vacant. Designed by BLT Architects, the development will span 204,351 square feet and feature 15,192 square feet of commercial space and parking. Permits list HC Pody Company as the contractor and specify a construction cost of $52 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/02/site...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:39 PM

Construction Nears Completion At 214 Vine Street In Old City

Quote:
Philly YIMBY’s recent site visit has observed that construction work is nearing completion at a 29-unit development at 214 Vine Street in Old City. Designed by Moto Designshop, the development unites four parcels at 214 through 220 Vine Street, spans a 5,403-square-foot ground footprint, and will hold 26,550 square feet of interior space, which roughly translates into just over 900 square feet per unit. Permits list Vine New Associates LLC as the owner and Spruce Builders LLC as the general contractor.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2023/02/cons...-old-city.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:41 PM

Construction Underway At Townhouse Complex At 244-58 North 2nd Street In Old City

Quote:
Philadelphia YIMBY’s recent site visit has observed that construction work is well underway at an 11-townhouse development at 244-58 North 2nd Street in thee Old City section of Center City, with the structures at the site topped out and anticipating installation of the facade. Designed by LandMark Architectural Design, each townhouse will rise four stories and span nearly 5,000 square feet, and feature a cellar, a roof deck, an elevator, and a two-car garage. Permits list OCF Construction as the contractor.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:41 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
Love when they update the 3D, thanks for the heads up!

Also - does anybody know why Rittenhouse is also called the "French Quarter" on google maps? Is there some French history of Rittenhouse that I don't know about or is this just somebody having too much fun with google maps?
More than just google maps — the French Quarter appellation also appears appended to street signs in the subject portion of the Rittenhouse Square area.

From the defunct City Paper, see this 1999 article: https://mycitypaper.com/articles/101...at.slant.shtml
Excerpt:
The Quarter, located between Walnut and Sansom, and between 16th and 19th, boasts a long and hallowed history, dating back to 1994, with the opening of La Colombe at 19th and Walnut. By the late 1990s two other French establishments had sprouted up in the vicinity: Le Bus, on 18th between Walnut and Sansom, and La Cigale, a beret’s toss north of Le Bus. The appearance last year of a creperie on Sansom street firmly established the area as a true French Quarter, promising to make it a delicious oasis of Continental esprit and cuisine for generations to come.

The Quarter was officially recognized by the city this year with the addition of subtle orange signs that read, simply, "French Quarter," tastefully affixed below the traditional green streets signs at the area’s intersections.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:42 PM

Construction Underway At 207-11 Vine Street In Old City

Quote:
Philadelphia YIMBY’s recent site visit has observed that, since our last site visit in August 2022, construction has made significant progress at 46-unit residential development underway at 207-11 Vine Street in the Old City section of Center City. Designed by CANNOdesign, the project will consist of a six-story building at 211 Vine Street, which will span 61,694 square feet, two new townhouses at 207A and 207B and 209 Vine Street, and a multi-family renovation of a historic prewar house at 209 Vine Street. The development will also include parking for 18 vehicles.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:44 PM

192-Unit, Mixed-Use Project Under Construction in Allegheny West

Read/view more here:
https://www.rising.realestate/192-un...llegheny-west/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 4:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I agree-find a spot on the Parkway. It's like they will spend money to restore it but tuck it away from foot traffic to not show it off. Heck, why not after restoring, lease it out and make it a coffee/drink/snack shop in the tourist area.
Agree. Not enough coffee/snack shops along the Parkway.

Quote:
Copying from my notes in P.I.C.H.: At the November meeting of the Art Commission, where the Aviator Park site was reviewed, the issue was raised that 3 nearby Parkway institutions — Moore College, the Academy of Natural Sciences and the Franklin Institute — felt blind-sided by the site selection and had serious objections. Particular aspects of their concern seemed to revolve around ongoing homeless camping in the park and that the structure might end up as a sort of attractive nuisance and target of vandalism, somehow exacerbating that issue.

The commission also had concerns that there were no concrete plans for a specific viable reuse after the move and that the plan as presented
— with wood to be temporarily inserted in window spaces — was lacking in visual and landscaping detail.
Did anyone float the idea of a coffee/snack shop? Similar to the café in Sister Cities Park.
Seems like a fair compromise and beneficial for tourists.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 5:09 AM
PHL

It's pretty small yeah? Move it into a museum lmao

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 10:12 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Agree. Not enough coffee/snack shops along the Parkway.

Did anyone float the idea of a coffee/snack shop? Similar to the café in Sister Cities Park.
Seems like a fair compromise and beneficial for tourists.
That was the sort of use most often tossed around when the focus was still on the Aviator Park site, although an RFP for an operator hadn’t been issued by Parks & Rec. I suppose an RFP would have been premature until they had all necessary approvals in hand for the relocation.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2023, 2:49 PM
Me?!?

Minor Updates for Two Major Projects in Manayunk & Roxborough
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...unk-roxborough

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development