HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City council told the NIMBYs to take a flying leap. This proposal was approved last night.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 12:51 PM

Yeah, well done. Those things are very inoffensive.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Industrial development in Moncton is smokin' hot right now!!!

High demand for industrial park land has non-profit (MID) eyeing expansions
Moncton Industrial Development Ltd. says land sales continue to be strong
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 04, 2024 5:29 PM AST | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sion-1.7132884

Highlights:

Main MID Industrial Park - fully sold
Caledonia Industrial Park - fully sold (40 acre expansion underway)
Harrisville Logistics Park (SW corner of the TCH/15 interchange, currently under construction) - 124 acres, 66% pre-sold
Moncton East Business Park - 70% sold
MID West Industrial Park - approximately 70% sold. A 250 acre expansion is planned for south of the CNR mainline, already with 90 acres pre-sold

But wait, there's more!!!

This last bit is out of the blue. This is virgin land, not far from the McLaughlin Road reservoir. To develop this land, there would have to be an expansion to the municipal service boundary. The city has been loath to expanding the service boundary for residential development, but, I think they would be more amenable to doing this for industrial development.

But, what about access??? It is difficult to imagine that principle access would be via Mapleton Road. This street is a dead end north of the TCH, and, there is a large subdivision located there, as well as a campground. McLaughlin Road would be equally as problematic, especially as there is currently no TCH interchange on McLaughlin.

To do this right, an interchange at TCH/McLaughlin would have to be constructed (I am 95% sure this is in the cards anyway) and/or a brand new interchange with the TCH between Mapleton and McLaughlin created. This might be possible, and, would also have the added benefit of providing direct highway access to the "Vision Lands."

Hmmmmmm......
The land that they bought was acquired from Thrive. I remember them having a listing for it on their website. I was wondering who had bought it after the listing was removed. It is adjacent to the campground (on the east side of it) and is south west of the reservoir. I imagine it would lineup perfectly to have another highway exit here as well.

I also recently noticed that a large section of the vision lands west has been consolidated together into a single parcel. This is the lands immediately north of the Mapleton Centre retail area. I know that some of this land was also previously (or currently) owned by thrive as well. If a land consolidation is taking place both north and south of the TCH, this would make it much easier to connect the developments, as you’d eliminate multiple party’s. This will be something to watch.
I figure I'd continue the conversation on this thread about the new MID (Moncton Industrial Development) lands and its relation to the Vision Lands.

I did some digging, and I've grabbed a few pictures. The first one shows who the land owners of the vision lands are:

There is a lot consolidation on most of the Thrive lands. The most eastern parcel and the parcel adjacent to the former Bell property on Mapleton are not included in this lot consolidation. Their lands are also currently listed for sale, with the exception of the parcel adjacent to the former Bell property. https://www.cbre.ca/properties/land/...unswick-canada

Area #4 is also listed for sale. https://www.bbrokers.ca/property/400...et-moncton-nb/

This picture shows the area of the lands that have been bought by MID from Thrive.

The parcel that they did not purchase bordering the TCH is part of the property assessment for area #3 on the image above. There is also another smaller piece of land adjacent to the lands MID just bought that is still listed for sale and I believe is still owned by Thive https://www.cbre.ca/properties/land/...unswick-canada

Another interesting thing with Thrive, they have recently completed sales of the Princess Auto property, but they still have most of their property listed for sale in this area including the former Bell property, their office/retail complex at the corner of Mapleton and Frampton and the next couple phases of their developments on Twin Oaks. https://www.cbre.ca/properties/comme...EwRxGNOOjMKwQ0

They also have a property for sale along the corridor of the unfinished portion of Bridgedale Blvd in Riverview. The northern part of this property would be a good location for a future school in the area. My mom did a couple grades of school at the old Bridgedale Community Centre, so there is a precedent here.https://www.cbre.ca/properties/comme...tting%2CisSale

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Mar 6, 2024 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good job!!

Seeing where the MID purchased property is just reinforces my opinion that there is no way that they can hook up with Mapleton Road in order to get TCH access. They will either need a ROW to McLaughlin (and a new TCH interchange at McLaughlin), or, a dedicated TCH interchange leading directly to their property.

In any event, things will have to get moving here PDQ since they expect this new industrial park to be fully sold by 2030. They must already be in heavy duty negotiations with the city and the province regarding the need for highway access.

I wonder what the chances are that they can buy more additional property to expand this new proposed park? I imagine they must be thinking about this.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:

Good job!!

Seeing where the MID purchased property is just reinforces my opinion that there is no way that they can hook up with Mapleton Road in order to get TCH access. They will either need a ROW to McLaughlin (and a new TCH interchange at McLaughlin), or, a dedicated TCH interchange leading directly to their property.

In any event, things will have to get moving here PDQ since they expect this new industrial park to be fully sold by 2030. They must already be in heavy duty negotiations with the city and the province regarding the need for highway access.

I wonder what the chances are that they can buy more additional property to expand this new proposed park? I imagine they must be thinking about this.
The parcel along the eastern side of the land the purchased is 21 acres and is currently listed for sale for 500k. I believe it to also be Thrive owned lands.

As for an interchange location, I imagine that adjacent to the west side of the where the NB Power lines cross the highway would be the most logical spot.

Also looking at the zoning map, you can see the area where Kennys U-Pull is located is currently zoned as industrial. They also have an area along the north of their property that would certainly be wide enough for a ROW. Perhaps they could be negotiated with to build a road through their property.

As for an interchange at McLaughin, the province would have to negotiate with existing home owners on 3 corners of the interchange. The south side would essentially be straight forward, one ramp on each side of McLaughin. The north side would be a little more difficult, but I wonder if this is a solution they have considered. Have one ramp on each side of McLaughlin like on the south side, but have the ramps and the intersection with Granite drive meetup in a roundabout. This would be similar to the interchange at Larry Uteck Blvd in Halifax, in Antigonish and several others in Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
As for an interchange location, I imagine that adjacent to the west side of the where the NB Power lines cross the highway would be the most logical spot.
Audubon Organics is on the south side of the TCH at this location, but, I imagine that Audubon will likely have to relocate anyway as the Vision Lands build out. Maybe MID could offer them a lot in the new industrial park.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Audubon Organics is on the south side of the TCH at this location, but, I imagine that Audubon will likely have to relocate anyway as the Vision Lands build out. Maybe MID could offer them a lot in the new industrial park.
Yes I imagine that is the most plausible scenario. Due to the location of the NB Power lines and the location of Halls Creek, there isn’t many other options for a potential location of an interchange here without getting to close to McLaughin and Mapleton roads.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:58 PM

I took the liberty of making a mockup of a potential road layout. MID lands are outlined in red.

South of the TCH I made a rudimentary road layout.
North of the TCH I tried to predict where the major roads may potentially be built.
I made the road connection to McLaughlin along the northern edge of Kennys U-Pull as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great diagram!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Great diagram!
That is a great diagram. Another idea would be to link all that up to Wheeler somehow as a better-flowing connector from Wheeler to TC would be ideal.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
That is a great diagram. Another idea would be to link all that up to Wheeler somehow as a better-flowing connector from Wheeler to TC would be ideal.
That would be ideal, yes (at least as far as I'm concerned), but this flies in the face of what the city has in mind for the Vision Lands (no stroads or limited access arterials, but, lots of bicycle paths ).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
I can perhaps see an extension of Carson across wheeler with ramps on the Vision lands side of the of Wheeler, that increases the connectablity of the area with the rest of the city and decreases traffic on the major roads feeding the vision lands.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Proposal for Cabela's Court (August PAC meeting, City of Moncton)

Site plan

Render

Render

Several other interesting renderings are available for viewing on the PAC documentation:
https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...4_a_Cabela.pdf
Does anyone know if this is still a go for this year?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I took the liberty of making a mockup of a potential road layout. MID lands are outlined in red.

South of the TCH I made a rudimentary road layout.
North of the TCH I tried to predict where the major roads may potentially be built.
I made the road connection to McLaughlin along the northern edge of Kennys U-Pull as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Here is my attempt at envisioning the internal street network in the new industrial park, potential connections to the major thruways in the area, and a rudimentary depiction of how the major streets in the Vision Lands could be laid out:

Within the Vision Lands, I already know for a fact that the city wants the western access points to the Vision Lands to be LJR Blvd, Lady Ada Drive and Moncton Street. This will be the commercial portion of the Vision Lands, and, there is also supposed to be a commercial corridor paralleling the TCH. I extended Moncton Street through to the new interchange to service this commercial corridor.

I also extended LJR Blvd so that it connects to Crowley Farm Road, and then directly to UdeM. Leopold Belliveau Blvd has been connected to LJR along the NW corner of the UdeM endowment lands.

I extended the access road to the new industrial park to the southwest on the other side of the TCH, with an interchange and overpass over Wheeler Blvd and a connection to Carson Drive. At Wheeler, I added westbound on/off ramps. For eastbound traffic, I thought we could use the existing on/off ramps by the Rallye auto mall.

Thoughts???

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:24 AM
I Rise Again

It's just under 3 kilometers from Mapleton Road to McLaughlin Drive, I can't really see them having 3 overpasses with turnouts/ramps in that short of a distance. I think they more than likely will or be inclined to do the one at McLaughlin and make an access road off McLaughlin across from Granite Drive going West into the new industrial park, close to the kind of setup they have with Caledonia Road off of Elmwood Drive.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Does anyone know if this is still a go for this year?
I strongly doubt it. Thrive seems to be divesting itself of almost all it's properties in greater Moncton. I'm pretty sure this proposal is dead and that the land is for sale.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
It's just under 3 kilometers from Mapleton Road to McLaughlin Drive, I can't really see them having 3 overpasses with turnouts/ramps in that short of a distance. I think they more than likely will or be inclined to do the one at McLaughlin and make an access road off McLaughlin across from Granite Drive going West into the new industrial park, close to the kind of setup they have with Caledonia Road off of Elmwood Drive.
This would certainly be the cheaper option (and, this is after all New Brunswick), but, occasionally, it is nice to think and plan on a larger scale just to imagine what could be possible.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:50 AM

Quote:
I strongly doubt it. Thrive seems to be divesting itself of almost all it's properties in greater Moncton. I'm pretty sure this proposal is dead and that the land is for sale.
Would this be it?

Listing:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...view=imagelist

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:08 AM

[QUOTE=jonny golden;10160074]Would this be it?

Listing:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...view=imagelist[/QUOTE]

https://www.cbre.ca/properties/comme...EwRxGNOOjMKwQ0

This is from CBRE but yes the same listing.

Also further to what MonctonRad had said, I wouldn’t say they are divesting all of their Moncton properties, but certainly most of them. Their residential building that are complete I haven’t seen on the market, nor have I seen their Gorge & Mountain road commercial property. I do wonder if we will see them continue their next phase of their Gunningsville development as I haven’t seen this on the market either. They have sold a few properties though so hopefully that’s helped the company level off.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Also further to what MonctonRad had said, I wouldn’t say they are divesting all of their Moncton properties, but certainly most of them. Their residential building that are complete I haven’t seen on the market, nor have I seen their Gorge & Mountain road commercial property. I do wonder if we will see them continue their next phase of their Gunningsville development as I haven’t seen this on the market either. They have sold a few properties though so hopefully that’s helped the company level off.
I did say "almost" all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces