HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 7:19 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Aaw. Sad.

Fire at Texas French Bread Ravages Storefront
Beloved restaurant was housed in a building rich with music history

https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...es-storefront/

Iconic Austin mainstay Texas French Bread completely destroyed by late-night fire

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=28078515

Evidently folks have started a GoFundMe after the fire. KVUE story:
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...9-4aae3b440cd2

As I'm posting, they've already surpassed their goal of $100K.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:18 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Austin ISD taking ideas on how to reuse former Pease Elementary

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Independent School District wants to hear from parents how the district can repurpose the former Pease Elementary School.
Quote:
The next virtual meetings are Feb. 15 and March 3 — both starting at 6 p.m. You must register first using the links below.

Feb. 15
March 3

Spanish interpretation and captioning will be provided during the meetings, AISD said. All of the virtual sessions will be recorded and uploaded on the district’s website.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...se-elementary/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
What's the deal with all the Ohio billboards in Texas?

The story behind all those Ohio billboards in Austin

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...y-16800857.php

If you’ve driven (or sat in gridlock) on one of Austin’s many overpasses in the last year, you’ve likely seen some bright red billboards with curious messages. They declare that Austin is over, and that Ohio exists.

Austin is not alone in Ohio’s denigration of its fair city. Drivers as far-flung as Los Angeles and New York City have been bombarded by towering red signs that seem to take aim at any region that isn’t a landlocked state wedged between Pennsylvania and Indiana. Though JobsOhio has tested the campaign in a variety of markets, the main focus has been Austin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, Boston, and Chicago.
It's pathetic, really. Imagine moving to Ohio, and when people ask why, responding with "I saw a billboard that said it was good"

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
It's pathetic, really. Imagine moving to Ohio, and when people ask why, responding with "I saw a billboard that said it was good"
I don't think the purpose of the billboards is to get locals to move to Ohio. Rather it is to get a conversation started about the possibility of Ohio entering the ranks of tech savvy locations. The billboards do garner attention, and clearly they seem to be generating a bit of local media buzz in the places where billboards have appeared. I think Ohio wants the world to think that maybe the Buckeye State is on a roll.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I don't think the purpose of the billboards is to get locals to move to Ohio. Rather it is to get a conversation started about the possibility of Ohio entering the ranks of tech savvy locations. The billboards do garner attention, and clearly they seem to be generating a bit of local media buzz in the places where billboards have appeared. I think Ohio wants the world to think that maybe the Buckeye State is on a roll.
Well Cincinnati is in the Super Bowl, but I’m afraid the press about Ohio during the political seasons of 2022 and 2024 are probably going to drive away any potential tech relocations. You might say, “well Texas is way more red,” but people knew that coming in, and the Austin mojo seems to overpower that. With Ohio, it’s a swinger that will be swinging the wrong way in very national way….

The ad campaign will not blunt that. It’s a waste of money.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
the purpose of any campaign is to get people talking about it. and here we are

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well Cincinnati is in the Super Bowl, but I’m afraid the press about Ohio during the political seasons of 2022 and 2024 are probably going to drive away any potential tech relocations. You might say, “well Texas is way more red,” but people knew that coming in, and the Austin mojo seems to overpower that. With Ohio, it’s a swinger that will be swinging the wrong way in very national way….

The ad campaign will not blunt that. It’s a waste of money.
yes the people and companies are coming here in spite of the overall redness of the state. if only we had a blue state to match our blue metro we could keep up with the relocation heavyweights of california, new york and illinois.

lmfao

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:56 PM

Lol, tipping the scales and making it a free for all regardless of the permanent damage done to our planet OF COURSE will end in more greedy companies relocating. Long term thinking really does seem to escape your side, but hey enjoy your forever chemical laden China chicken.
And btw, Texas does lean blue, if the GOP hadn't gerrymandered the EFF out of this state and made it damn near impossible (with 7 hour plus wait times for voting in minority and college dominated areas) for people to vote, then it would be reflected in its' politics. Please now explain why Austin is so much hotter than Ft. Worth.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...y-affiliation/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Lol, tipping the scales and making it a free for all regardless of the permanent damage done to our planet OF COURSE will end in more greedy companies relocating. Long term thinking really does seem to escape your side, but hey enjoy your forever chemical laden China chicken.
And btw, Texas does lean blue, if the GOP hadn't gerrymandered the EFF out of this state and made it damn near impossible (with 7 hour plus wait times for voting in minority and college dominated areas) for people to vote, then it would be reflected in its' politics. Please now explain why Austin is so much hotter than Ft. Worth.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...y-affiliation/

that's an easy one, it's because austin is tipping the scales and making it a free for all regardless of the permanent damage done to our planet OF COURSE will end in more greedy companies relocating

keep these 4th grade tantrums on reddit please

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
the purpose of any campaign is to get people talking about it. and here we are
ah, yes, the impeccable "any publicity is good publicity" logic. i can't believe we have played right into their hands!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:40 PM

Yeah, regulation heavy Austin is "tipping the scales," never heard your side say anything like that before. And no, the goal of every campaign is not to get people talking about something, that is absurd. A politician wants your vote and a company wants your dollar. No company does anything without an eye towards ROI. The state is wasting its' taxpayers money, plain and simple.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:15 PM
World Traveler

While I'm not a moderator or administrator of this site (and therefore hold absolutely no authority), I am a pretty observant person. I noticed that the title of this thread clearly states, "No Politics"....and we're inching closer and closer to that line. While the discussion of taxes and stewardship of public funds is an important one, let's leave that for another time and place, please. I don't want this forum to turn into a crap-slinging wasteland. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
While I'm not a moderator or administrator of this site (and therefore hold absolutely no authority), I am a pretty observant person. I noticed that the title of this thread clearly states, "No Politics"....and we're inching closer and closer to that line. While the discussion of taxes and stewardship of public funds is an important one, let's leave that for another time and place, please. I don't want this forum to turn into a crap-slinging wasteland. Thanks!
second

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 3:39 AM
Meh

Citywide boil water notice for Austin Water customers...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...n-water-users/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 4:22 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Citywide boil water notice for Austin Water customers...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...n-water-users/
Um, hey Austin leadership, maybe getting this water problem fixed should be a priority...

Quote:
Austin Water has issued three citywide boil water notices in its history. The first one occurred in October 2018 and the second was in February 2021 during the winter storm. Both lasted for nearly a week.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news...nt/6680910001/

This has happened 3 times in the last 4 1/2 years, and twice in less than a year. Those are the only 3 times it has ever happened. Somebody needs to get their sh*t together.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:06 PM

Perhaps a shakeup in the department bureaucratic leadership is long overdue?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 3:00 AM
Resident Moron

My understanding is that the water treament facility is 100% back up and running but that APH and a state agency both have to review the facility and give it the all clear.

It was user-error that caused the issue today.

I'm not going to rake the city over the coals for the big freeze last year. But 2 in 5 years seems pretty poor.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 3:25 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

The city doesn't have generators to keep our water treatment plants operational during power outages? That seems like negligence in my opinion.

I know for a fact many government and commercial buildings in this city have generators to keep the lights on if there's a power outage.

Hopefully the necessary changes to keep this from occurring again will be made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin