HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
So you love the location of the arena, out in the east side. A place that people go watch the Spurs and then go home. Unlike when the Spurs were downtown, you go eat dinner on the riverwalk, walk to the game, and then afterward go to downtown club or bar and make a great night of it all. I would be against large surface parking lots. People could use garages, that's what they did back at the old Hemisfair Arena.
That's true, that is what used to happen. But the old location of Hemisfair Arena is a completely different spot then that of the apartments.

I said I don't like parking lots next to single family homes so that answers your question as to whether or not I like the current location.

If any location (in the future) would be mixed-use and be in a location that has the possibility of being a high-density area, then I would be all for it.
One of the few urban locations I could see work in SA is the Greyhound lot and the lots across Pecan from it; the 2 parking garages and Travis Park Plaza. The Verizon Center in DC is a great example of an urban arena.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:54 AM

I haven't seen any new information about the new SA Public Safety Headquarters downtown, so I thought that I would divulge what I can.

It is going to be a six story building on the site of the old kmart. It will be a fairly square building on the north end of the lot with an attached garage. I am not sure how many levels the garage will be, but I do know that it will not take up the rest of the lot. The south end of the lot will be a surface parking lot.

I have not seen any renderings, but I have seen the proposed floor plans. Core samples were taken a few weeks ago (core samples were taken at the current SAPD headquarters last week).

It should not be long before ground is broken. The target date is still some time in 2012 for the move (which seams almost impossible).

We will see.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I haven't seen any new information about the new SA Public Safety Headquarters downtown, so I thought that I would divulge what I can.

It is going to be a six story building on the site of the old kmart. It will be a fairly square building on the north end of the lot with an attached garage. I am not sure how many levels the garage will be, but I do know that it will not take up the rest of the lot. The south end of the lot will be a surface parking lot.

I have not seen any renderings, but I have seen the proposed floor plans. Core samples were taken a few weeks ago (core samples were taken at the current SAPD headquarters last week).

It should not be long before ground is broken. The target date is still some time in 2012 for the move (which seams almost impossible).

We will see.

Thanks for the update. That old Kmart lot has been sitting there for years and is such an eyesore. Just like the jail nearby. Ill take 6 stories and a parking garage though. Better than nothing.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:44 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

The two hotels on the eastern side of DT are rising rather quickly. No cranes since they are going to be suburban in scale, but they are up to 3 stories (i think) now...

Don't love the modest height by any means, but the disappearance of the parking lots is worth celebrating.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 9:37 PM
Paradise

^I'm waiting for the height to go to that boutique hotel and other proposals when they start going.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
The two hotels on the eastern side of DT are rising rather quickly. No cranes since they are going to be suburban in scale, but they are up to 3 stories (i think) now...

Don't love the modest height by any means, but the disappearance of the parking lots is worth celebrating.
Here is a photo from the corner of Bowie/Bonham.

If it is supposed to be 4 floors, then it should top out soon; The viewshed could allow it up to 8 or so.

There are only a couple of lots left, the lot behind the Crockett Hotel, the lot across Bowie, and the corner lot on Bonham/Houston also is limited.

It would allow for a 10-12 story structure, as long as most of the height is along Bowie, and at least 8 floors behind the Crockett Hotel.

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 9:44 PM

Well I am so glad to see another parking lot in downtown gone! It's great infill, especially for that area.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:02 PM
Meh

That building looks huge. It's going to block a good chunk of downtown from I-37. One of my favorite views of downtown.

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Here is a photo from the corner of Bowie/Bonham.

If it is supposed to be 4 floors, then it should top out soon; The viewshed could allow it up to 8 or so.

There are only a couple of lots left, the lot behind the Crockett Hotel, the lot across Bowie, and the corner lot on Bonham/Houston also is limited.

It would allow for a 10-12 story structure, as long as most of the height is along Bowie, and at least 8 floors behind the Crockett Hotel.

Nice. I heard it was only going to be three-stories, but eight sounds better!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Anybody have any info or details regarding this downtown soccer stadium next to the Alamodome?
link: http://www.kellmunoz.com/project.php?project=266

It's probably old, but anyone ever see any renderings for it?
I would love it if the Alamodome was turned into an open green-spaced stadium; baseball, football, soccer, whatever, just change it. Change it into something else. It really needs to be torn down. Not to be mean or to start something; just stating my opinion. It is the ugliest stadium I have ever seen. I just cannot help but wish for a stadium like the one in Toronto!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:01 AM

[see next page]

Last edited by tgannaway89; Jun 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:26 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Hey T, could you resize those pictures, please.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I would love it if the Alamodome was turned into an open green-spaced stadium; baseball, football, soccer, whatever, just change it. Change it into something else. It really needs to be torn down. Not to be mean or to start something; just stating my opinion. It is the ugliest stadium I have ever seen. I just cannot help but wish for a stadium like the one in Toronto!
Alamodome ugly? No way, it's just different. Kind of like the stadium in Montreal, that was built for the expo way back when. From a distance the dome looks like a big cable suspended bridge. Kind of like the one in Boston next to the Garden.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Nice. I heard it was only going to be three-stories, but eight sounds better!
This is eight stories? That building is huge and looks taller then eight on the model. Is this an approved project? I would love to shoot pictures of the area to have before and after images!!!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Hey T, could you resize those pictures, please.
Agreed, its a little tough to know what we're looking at.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
This is eight stories? That building is huge and looks taller then eight on the model. Is this an approved project? I would love to shoot pictures of the area to have before and after images!!!
I meant the VIEWSHED would allow for around 8 stories on the side closest to the Alamo/Crockett Hotel and around 10-12 (maybe more if the floors are shorter,) closer to Bowie St. This is not a project, only a visual reference for the viewshed behind the Alamo. I brought it up to show that the hotel that is under construction, at the corner of Bowie/Houston, was not limited by the viewshed as many had suspected. It could have been alot taller.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

What's the plan for the antenna on the Tower Life building? I was under the impression (mistakenly I guess) that the whole antenna would come down. Obviously whatever they're doing is still in the works, but does anyone know the final plan?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
What's the plan for the antenna on the Tower Life building? I was under the impression (mistakenly I guess) that the whole antenna would come down. Obviously whatever they're doing is still in the works, but does anyone know the final plan?
They took the antenna down and have replaced it with a flagpole. They are working on the base of where the flagpole is at to replicate the structure that used to exist there when the building was first built. Should all be complete sometime in July I think.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:08 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Just got word that the Friedrich Building on the near-east side is going to be bought and redeveloped by a group out of LA that runs the DreamCenter. Plans include (but aren't limited to) a 1500 seat amphitheater within the structure.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 4:43 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Just got word that the Friedrich Building on the near-east side is going to be bought and redeveloped by a group out of LA that runs the DreamCenter. Plans include (but aren't limited to) a 1500 seat amphitheater within the structure.
Would it be a DreamCenter SA or something completely different?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio