HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 6:12 PM

^ Agreed 100%. Although as I recall, and unless they sold the property, the lot is owned by the same family that owns the Rubin Block on Osborne. Which means that they are content to let their property just sit there and linger without doing anything.

It's funny, because it would seem to me to be a very marketable and desirable site. I used to live at that corner in the Riverwalk Condos and I thought it was a fantastic place to live.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Considering Earl's hasn't done anything with the land, I'd imagine they'd sell.
They are exploring either selling or finding a developer, but they are certainly not anywhere near planning a development try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Isn't there a clock ticking where Earls either has to shit or get off the pot? I thought that land used to belong to the city or centreventure or something and there was a caveat saying it had to be used... this is all pretty foggy memory but I remember people talking about it here when the city rejected Earls last horrible plan
There's no caveat on the land. The northernmost portion of the lot is actually city owned (the paid parking section). The timing thing you may be thinking of would just be the standard window to resubmit an application without having to start from scratch.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:59 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It blows my mind that basically an app can have that many employees. Could you imagine if they went the single skyscraper HQ route? The Winnipeg skyline utterly dominated by Canada's tallest building, the Skip the Dishes Tower?

I guess the campus makes more sense on many levels, but it is an amusing thought
Skip could have a million employees but I seriously doubt that a food delivery company would have so many people manning computers or phones or whatever it is that they use to do what they do. They may have a few dozen people doing the office work but I expect that the overwhelming majority of those 4,000 people are the people actually going out and delivering food.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Skip could have a million employees but I seriously doubt that a food delivery company would have so many people manning computers or phones or whatever it is that they use to do what they do. They may have a few dozen people doing the office work but I expect that the overwhelming majority of those 4,000 people are the people actually going out and delivering food.
I'm sure you're right that many if not most of the 4,000 are delivery people, but at the same time they wouldn't be planning to build an entire office campus if there were just 50 people sitting at desks in IT/marketing/management roles.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:10 PM

Regarding skip the dishes one glance at their career opportunities page they are currently offerings positions as

Design & brand
Finance
Global fulfillment
Hr/people
Insights annalytics
Marketing toronto
Marketing winnipeg
Products
Restaurant partnership
Restaurant partnership toronto
Software engineers toronto.. calgary.. winnipeg

That's just the ones they are hiring for currently

Its a huge company that is responsible for 1000 plus drivers and restaurant partnerships across all of canada

12 people running the show hahaha man the dumb shit ppl say around here.. i bet their customer relations and technical support team is over 100 by itself.. making sure that app is running smoothly and finding ways to improve its functionality and performance prolly takes lot of work.. not to mention updating menus.. prices.. gps tracking etc not to mention thier accounting department... they have millions of dollars in transactions a month and payouts

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:15 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
12 people running the show hahaha man the dumb shit ppl say around here.. i bet their customer relations and technical support team is over 100 by itself.. making sure that app is running smoothly and finding ways to improve its functionality and performance prolly takes lot of work.. not to mention updating menus.. prices.. gps tracking etc
Well, the "dumb shit" people say around here would include reading a few dozen people and equating it to 12.
Quote:
I'm sure you're right that many if not most of the 4,000 are delivery people, but at the same time they wouldn't be planning to build an entire office campus if there were just 50 people sitting at desks in IT/marketing/management roles.
Well, I was being somewhat hyperbolic but I assume that they'd need at least a few hundred to make a campus worthwhile. Do they have that order of magnitude in Winnipeg?

Last edited by Spocket; Jul 9, 2019 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:18 PM

it's fun to imagine that lilwayne is really some business heavyweight like Sanford Riley or Paul Mahon taking a break from their duties

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:30 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
it's fun to imagine that lilwayne is really some business heavyweight like Sanford Riley or Paul Mahon taking a break from their duties
I was thinking something more along the lines of that Dog the Bounty Hunter dude but without the sophistication.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:01 PM
Formerly rypinion

The delivery people are contractors, not employees.

This article https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...504993302.html suggests that in January Skip had around 2000 employees in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I have it on very good authority that Skip right now has over 2K head office employees and growing.
As previously mentioned drivers are not employees they are contractors.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I have it on very good authority that Skip right now has over 2K head office employees and growing.
As previously mentioned drivers are not employees they are contractors.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't rebranded and made Skip the Dishes a division of the main company instead of continuing to refer to the entire company as Skip the Dishes. The name makes you think all they're doing is handling that one app when in reality, they've sort of grown into a larger development company with Skip as their flagship app.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:42 PM

what did Paul Jordan just let out of the bag????!!!!

Mall sale moves closer

Paul Jordan, the CEO of the Forks North Portage Partnership, told EPC selling the property to Toronto-based Starlight Investments was the best way forward for his organization and energizing development of the downtown.

"Portage Place could be the hinge for the downtown...linking the True North development and the spring development of the Bay," Jordan told EPC.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mall-1.5205374

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:59 PM

JUST EAT owns skip the dishes

Just eat is a hugeee company that provides food deliveries in europe usa and canada

This company has to be worth closer to a billion dollars...

Just eat is the parent company and skipthedishes still keeps its independent brand

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Mall sale moves closer

Paul Jordan, the CEO of the Forks North Portage Partnership, told EPC selling the property to Toronto-based Starlight Investments was the best way forward for his organization and energizing development of the downtown.

"Portage Place could be the hinge for the downtown...linking the True North development and the spring development of the Bay," Jordan told EPC.

I was just posting the FP article:

Quote:
Portage Place redevelopment will trigger new life for Bay store, Forks CEO predicts
By: Aldo Santin Posted: 07/9/2019 5:57 PM

Forks CEO Paul Jordan said he believes a renovated Portage Place shopping centre could be a catalyst for the redevelopment of the downtown Hudson's Bay Company building.

Jordan went to city hall Tuesday to urge Mayor Brian Bowman and members of his executive policy committee to endorse the sale of the land underneath Portage Place and the parkade and he said the Bay building will likely be next to be redeveloped.

Jordan cited the development near the Bay — including the Winnipeg Art Gallery’s Inuit Art Centre, True North Square and projects by the U of W – as projects that are attracting the attention of developers to what’s happening in the downtown.

"Portage Place is next and really, it can be the hinge that would allow the Bay to suddenly become a valuable piece of property as well as the general area around there," Jordan said.

Toronto development firm Starlight Investments has expressed an interest to buy the mall from its current owner, Vancouver-based Peterson Group, for $22.9 million, and then buy the land the mall is built on and the underground parkade from North Portage Development Corp., for a further $47 million.

The corporation is the public agency established in the early 1980s to redevelop the north side of downtown Portage Avenue and later was also tasked with redevelopment of the downtown CN Rail yards that became The Forks.

The agency is owned by the three levels of government and it would require approval from all three to sell off any part of its holdings.

The Forks has been working with the Peterson Group since 2015 to find a new buyer for the mall.

North Portage Development Corp.'s board has unanimously approved the sale and is recommending to the government shareholders that they do the same.

Mayor Brian Bowman and members of his executive policy committee unanimously voted to endorse the move at EPC's meeting Tuesday and it will be formally considered by council at its July 18 meeting.

Bowman told reporters he’s excited with the prospect of new owners for the mall.

"The fact there is a sizable investor that wants to put in that many dollars is encouraging," he said, but added that even if the three levels of government support the sale the deal won't be finalized until Starlight Investments conducts its own due diligence.

Jordan told reporters he’s convinced that Spotlight Investments is the best prospect for the downtown mall.

"If you look at their portfolio and what this fund does, it’s about reinvesting in distressed properties," Jordan said. "We are quite confident they are meaning what they say."

Jordan said most of the mall’s first and third floors are vacant and the situation isn’t going to improve under the current ownership.

Jordan said he believes Starlight will construct two residential towers atop the mall, one at each end, targeting student housing, adding he knows the firm has talked to officials at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College.

"This is what (Starlight) does — provide student housing and then all the amenities that go with it, things like grocery stores and drug stores that could make for a really interesting main floor at Portage Place."

Jordan said the two towers combined could provide accommodations for 400 to 600 people.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...512497872.html

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Mall sale moves closer

I think that is a misquote...

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I think that is a misquote...
I hope not! That would mean more announcements to keep us warm through the long winter

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:57 PM

^^ I am hoping this means the city's development agencies are visualizing the re-development of the downtown area as a whole, integrated unit where each area compliments the others, rather than a patchwork of competing projects. I can easily see where having a "new" Portage Place occupied by younger tenants and supported with appropriate retail could be of huge interest to anyone looking to spearhead the re-development of The Bay.

Now for the wishful thinking! Looking (far) into the future, perhaps some kind of combined retail/entertainment/education comp one t would work there if it could be supported by student residential?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I hope not! That would mean more announcements to keep us warm through the long winter
The FP was at the same meeting where he spoke and they didnt say anything about a 'spring' development of The Bay.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The FP was at the same meeting where he spoke and they didnt say anything about a 'spring' development of The Bay.
wow all super serious business on here! sorry

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
He means springing development of the Bay. Not a spring development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan