HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:50 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
Also, there were some break-ins or something right after Thanksgiving, the Coach store had one of it's glass doors replaced with plywood, so did the Louis Vuitton store along with one of the corner displays and a large window on the north side facing Neiman's covered partially in plywood with the plate glass cracked. LV covered up the front plywood door and the corner display with some banners.
I'm not supposed to talk about it, but that was just a Project Mayhem homework assignment.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
I'm not supposed to talk about it, but that was just a Project Mayhem homework assignment.
I noticed today that the LV store had new glass, must have fixed it yesterday afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 4:33 AM

Quote:
As some things are opening, others are closing....

Bailey, Banks & Biddle (jewelry) closed around Christmas, there was another that I remember seeing empty on that end/side as well. I just noticed yesterday that the streetscape fronted shop between Victoria's Secret and the Apple Store was empty.

Also, there were some break-ins or something right after Thanksgiving, the Coach store had one of it's glass doors replaced with plywood, so did the Louis Vuitton store along with one of the corner displays and a large window on the north side facing Neiman's covered partially in plywood with the plate glass cracked. LV covered up the front plywood door and the corner display with some banners.
Bailey Banks & Biddle went out of business nationally, as did Ruehl, the streetscape fronted store. So it wasn't necessarily a case of either failing in the Austin market.

Ruehl was a more upscale, more adult brand by Abercrombie and Fitch. It was only launched pretty recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruehl_No.925

Bailey, Banks and Biddle I could tell you a lot about. I used to work for the company that operated them...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 3:27 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Bailey Banks & Biddle went out of business nationally, as did Ruehl, the streetscape fronted store. So it wasn't necessarily a case of either failing in the Austin market.

Ruehl was a more upscale, more adult brand by Abercrombie and Fitch. It was only launched pretty recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruehl_No.925

Bailey, Banks and Biddle I could tell you a lot about. I used to work for the company that operated them...
I thought Bailey Banks and Biddle was a law firm. It certainly sounded like one.

My friend was one of the head designers for Ruehl, he even relocated to Columbus Ohio for the job. I need to check up on him now.

I wonder what will go in place of those? Get us an H&M now!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
I thought Bailey Banks and Biddle was a law firm. It certainly sounded like one.

My friend was one of the head designers for Ruehl, he even relocated to Columbus Ohio for the job. I need to check up on him now.

I want H & M on 2nd Street! I even wrote them! ha!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post

I would love an H&M.

Bailey Banks and Biddle was high end jewelry...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:24 AM

I couldn't remember what their (Ruehl) name was, all I know is between them and Victoria's Secret that side of the street was very "fragrant" in the morning on my walk to Starbuck's....dang allergies.

I thought BB&B was just another outlet of Zales or another one of those conglomerates with 40 different store names...or did they just shut down that moniker?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:08 AM

Quote:
I thought BB&B was just another outlet of Zales or another one of those conglomerates with 40 different store names...or did they just shut down that moniker?
Yeah, sort of.

BB&B was owned by Zales until 2007 or 2008, when a company named Finlay Fine Jewelry purchased them. Finlay operated several stand-alone jewelry chains and a bunch of department store fine jewelry departments, including at Macy's.

As part of Macy's ongoing rebranding and nationwide "One Macy's" program, they decided not to renew Finlay's contract with them. Thus Finlay was thrown into turmoil and faced the prospect of not being able to make the payments on the gigantic loan they took out to buy BB&B.

I worked for Finlay in a Macy's jewelry department until July - I now work for Macy's, still in fine jewelry. Finlay went into bankruptcy in September. I believe all of their brands are gone by now. (They also operated Carlyle & Co., J.E. Caldwell & Co., and Park Promenade.)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 7:37 AM
Meh

Quote:
Thousands apply for 160 positions at new Westin Hotel
Updated: 1/28/2010 7:57 AM
By: Harlan Schmidt

The new Westin Hotel at the Domain is holding a job fair through Saturday. The Westin is seeking to hire 160 employees. According to Westin officials, they have seen more than 2,000 applicants.

http://news8austin.com/content/your_...sp?ArID=265151

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Dillard’s at the Domain to open March 11
By American-Statesman staff | Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 11:39 AM

Dillard’s plans to open its new store at the Domain on March 11.

The 600,000 square-foot expansion also includes a Dick’s Sporting Goods, a Gold Class Cinema, apartments and office space.
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...cTrk=RTR_95609

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 11:35 PM

Can we change the name of this thread? I mean, what's a second downtown? Maybe meant an uptown, I dunno?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:00 AM
Meh

We could. It shouldn't be called "The Domain" though since that refers to only one major development in the area, although, that is the only major one going on there that will no doubt fuel future development. But technically, the area is called North Burnet. Everyone agree?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:11 AM
Closed account

North Burnet/Gateway Projects & Redevelopment is my suggestion.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/planning/...ood/burnet.htm

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
We could. It shouldn't be called "The Domain" though since that refers to only one major development in the area, although, that is the only major one going on there that will no doubt fuel future development. But technically, the area is called North Burnet. Everyone agree?
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

Thanks Kevin!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideatx04 View Post
Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

Thanks Kevin!
Its funny southside... I was looking at the thread title page last night thinking the exact same thing, noticed you wrote something on this thread, and low and behold, you took the words right out of my finger tips! IMHO, its not quite a 2nd DT yet, just a nice outdoor mall at this point. When Boris originally wrote the thread, I think it was more of a visionary statement .....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:14 AM

That's what the city is planning on the area becomming in the future is a second downtown hopfully it will but yeah it's not there yet

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 8:09 AM
Meh

No prob, southsidetx04. By the way, your avatar is hilarious.

It makes more sense to name the thread this way since if someone is doing a Google Search they can find it by the area's name. I doubt few people would ever figure it's being planned as a 2nd downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 5:23 AM

Now this would be cool up there something like stratosphere tower with a revolving restaurant would have awsome views of DT

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 8:35 AM
Meh

^I always wanted something like that for Butler Park next the Palmer Events Center.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:58 AM

Yeah I used to go to Tower Of The Americas in San Antonio all the time when I was down there it's got a wonderful view of DT SA and San Antonio area

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin