HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 7:00 PM
Community Guy

Took pops to the hockey game yesterday afternoon.

Both times we went by The Bay/ESQ 104st LRT entrances they had 2-3 people actively smoking meth and totally blocking the stairs. Single ladies were seeing this and turning away looking for another option.

This continues to be FAR too regular, without consequence or reprieve and continues to push regular folks away from using LRT.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 11:42 PM

^ Do we have recall legislation here in Edmonton?
Time to remove some of city council starting with the mayor.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
We need the rules for MLA's to be lightened at well - I know some folks in Calgary are itching to send a message to UCP MLA's to remove them.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Agree....this box checker is in way over his head. It continues to show everyday.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Both times we went by The Bay/ESQ 104st LRT entrances they had 2-3 people actively smoking meth and totally blocking the stairs. Single ladies were seeing this and turning away looking for another option.

This continues to be FAR too regular, without consequence or reprieve and continues to push regular folks away from using LRT.
I see it constantly, especially at Corona Station. The worst part is that these people are so addicted, they are doing it right inside the entrance without any care about who sees it.

Even though there are security people who are "patrolling" the LRT stations, I don't recall ever seeing them doing anything about it. I honestly can't say I blame them, considering the low pay and the recent stabbings at the library and the security guard who was recently murdered in a downtown parkade.

There needs to be Peace Officers, who are professionally trained, not minimum wage private security.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
I see it constantly, especially at Corona Station. The worst part is that these people are so addicted, they are doing it right inside the entrance without any care about who sees it.

Even though there are security people who are "patrolling" the LRT stations, I don't recall ever seeing them doing anything about it. I honestly can't say I blame them, considering the low pay and the recent stabbings at the library and the security guard who was recently murdered in a downtown parkade.

There needs to be Peace Officers, who are professionally trained, not minimum wage private security.
Who would put their life in their own hands with a peace officer job. They have no gun, no back up, no authority. Forget about private security. No one takes them seriously.

Firstly, the mayor and city council needs to be fired. They have done not a single right thing in their term. This is the worst city council, mayor, and state of city that I’ve seen in my twenty years of living here. As a tax paying Edmontonian, I ask for only two things from city council: safety and cleanliness. They have failed very badly in two simple areas.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Agree....this box checker is in way over his head. It continues to show everyday.
Well I don't usually agree with you I agree with 100% on this one.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:47 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS1974 View Post
Who would put their life in their own hands with a peace officer job. They have no gun, no back up, no authority. Forget about private security. No one takes them seriously.

Firstly, the mayor and city council needs to be fired. They have done not a single right thing in their term. This is the worst city council, mayor, and state of city that I’ve seen in my twenty years of living here. As a tax paying Edmontonian, I ask for only two things from city council: safety and cleanliness. They have failed very badly in two simple areas.
What could the Mayor and COuncil do? Go arrest drug addicts themselves? They also can't direct EPS to do their bidding - they already provide hundreds of millions to them to work.

This lies with Chief McFee - he can direct his officers to start cracking down on that more, Sohi and Councillors have no authority in that space. If you want to point fingers, point them at the Chief.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:52 PM

^ The Mayor and council are ultimately responsible for the safely and security of the citizens of Edmonton. The police is a tool for them to enforce that responsibility.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

City names preferred bidder for Capital Line South LRT construction
April 2, 2024

The City of Edmonton has selected its preferred bidder to design and build Phase 1 of the Capital Line South Extension from Century Park to just north of Ellerslie Road.

The preferred bidder is Capital Line Design-Builders, consisting of team members Ledcor and AECOM.

The City will now enter into negotiations with Capital Line Design-Builders with the goal of awarding the contract by the end of May 2024.

Construction of the 4.5-kilometre extension is scheduled to begin later this year. Construction is expected to take four to five years, followed by testing and commissioning.

“We’d like to thank the bidding teams for participating in our procurement. We’re confident our fair and rigorous competitive process will ensure Phase 1 of the Capital Line South Extension will result in excellent value for Edmontonians and further strengthen our mass transit network,” said Bruce Ferguson, Branch Manager of LRT Expansion and Renewal with the City of Edmonton.

The City launched its Capital Line South procurement process in June 2022 and shortlisted two bidders in March 2023. Both bidders provided technical submissions, including draft designs and plans, to demonstrate their ability to meet the City’s rigorous technical requirements. Both bidders passed and were invited to submit a financial proposal. The City evaluated these proposals to ensure they met financial requirements, and the team with the highest combined technical and financial score was selected as the preferred bidder.

Transformational infrastructure projects like Capital Line South play a key role in strengthening our economy and expanding sustainable travel options for Edmontonians. An economic assessment of the project estimates construction will generate $330 million in wages in Alberta and another $100 million throughout the country. The project is expected to generate 3,700 jobs in the province and another 1,700 across Canada.

The $1.1-billion project has funding commitments from the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/capital-line-south

Media contact:
Jyllian Park
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-554-9001

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 8:07 PM

Police and peace officer presence at Churchill and Coliseum when I took transit today.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:

When i visited earlier in the year and hopped on the new Valley Line, I got off at Churchill and 4 or 5 people were non-nonchalantly lighting up crack pipes.
Basically had commandeered any flat surface around the the SW LRT portal.

Good luck anyone coming out or wanting to go down.

Getting rather brazen.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 9:21 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
^ The Mayor and council are ultimately responsible for the safely and security of the citizens of Edmonton. The police is a tool for them to enforce that responsibility.
Sure, but they can't 'use' the Police to enforce safety and security, they just provide the funding and then it is hands off. Sohi can't tell McFee to put 100 cops in the LRT system, he has no authority to do that.

The Edmonton Police Commission has more power in that regard than Mayor and Council.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:56 PM

It is so easy to make Edmonton's LRT safe again:

Employ more train conductors accompanied by transit policemen to make more random checks on train station platforms (paid zones) as well as inside trains. Those who are caught flouting the law/rules should be locked up. This would definitely encourage many of the homeless and dangerous people to stay away.

I guess our enforcement officers are pretty lazy because those on top don't care much.

Honestly, for those transit commuters, how often do you see the presence of law enforcers and ticket checkers while travelling?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:58 AM
Community Guy

^locking up fare evaders? How is that a good use of resources or public $?

How about hours and hours community service for offenders.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 9:54 AM
In Edmonton

Bad Designers Create Poor Design

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ving-1.7168981

I'm sure everyone's seen by now the ample reporting on the abominable design provided for the downtown slow tram.

Above all it's not quite astonishing that Salvador and Stevenson are each "qualified" urban planners who are equally surprised at the literal and figurative collision of train-car-bicycle-pedestrian pathways destined to dominate downtown traffic casualty statistics.

"These numbers are surprising," says Coun. Anne Stevenson, who represents Ward O-day'min, where the intersection is located.

No, they're not surprising.

Walk around downtown and Oliver for a few hours a day. Watch the confusion created by a patchwork of four-way stops, scramble intersections, construction obstacles, cyclists on the sidewalks, motorists hurrying through construction zones at unsafe speeds, random crosswalk barricades, and what have you. Does *anybody* on City Council or in the planning department live downtown?

I still get an askance chuckle when I ask random passersby what they think of a slow-rolling tramway straight down the middle of 104 Avenue. "You're an idiot if you think they'd ever do that," proclaimed one senior as she glared at me from behind the controls of a walker.

I simply shrugged and grinned like an idiot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:54 PM
Community Guy

^ha.

It's a bit of a mess, but really comes down to a lack of attention by drivers.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
^ha.

It's a bit of a mess, but really comes down to a lack of attention by drivers.
I agree....and the crazy elitist bikers that want the bike paths, the streets and the sidewalks. And bounce around them all with in a faction of a second. Not to mention the pedestrians that are glued to their phones whilst having their ear buds in.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:04 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
I agree....and the crazy elitist bikers that want the bike paths, <rest of drivel snipped>
elitist bikers? Want safe spaces to commute in? How dare they! Those elitist motorists wont have to share the road as much? OH no! Fuck that. hyukhyukhyuk

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 2:41 PM
Community Guy

Stony Plain Road Bridge Update - mBertan on SRC

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...24534/page-468

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton