HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 1:47 AM
low-riding

welcome Bostonboy. The Filenes Tower I don't think has its own thread but is discussed in the Boston Compilation thread.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBostonBoy View Post
Hey! Ya, I have been following this whole thread for about a month or two now, and i finally got an account and joined! Glad to be here now....but ya I have been following development in Boston lately, and I am very interested in what's going on, because I live right near Boston, and love it. But ya, Trans National Place would be so amazing, and although the design might not be approved, which is all right with me, I want them to build a 1000 ft tower nevertheless. Boston needs some taller buildings, and Hancock Tower has gone unchallenged for like 35 years and it is about time we finally get a building that tall. I'm very excited and hope this gets approved. Also I saw that South Station tower is a go which is also exciting, and I am hoping some of the other Boston projects, like South Bay Development are approved....But ya I am very excited and hopefully I can find out more in this forum because I want to know everything happening in Boston!
btw, i found an old forum and one of the things said their was a proposed building in Boston, called Filenes Tower, and I can't find anything on it....Did anyone else hear about it, if so post some info cause it looked like a cool building
CHYA BOSTON!

Go here for everything on Boston development: http://architecturalboston.com/forum/index.php

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 11:59 PM

I'm glad to be here and ya thanks for the link, ive visted ArchBoston before and it is still hard to find out about Filenes Tower
Also about the topic of development in the South End, I would love to see taller buildings their, and I am bumming out about the height restrictions because the south end could become like the next back bay if we brought in some tall buildings, and it would also make Boston a lot bigger, and it's skyline

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 1:33 AM

so ya wats going on in boston? ne news on trans national place

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:10 AM

I am happy that the mayor is behind a new tallest. But Boston can do better than having such proposed standard scraper as a landmark.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 2:54 AM

Ya i am also glad he is behind it, and they better build the 1000 footer in the near future! lol
also ne one heard ne news or got ne thing to say about Gateway Center, South Station Tower, and South Bay Development??? I see on this site it has South Bay Development listed, but I dont see ne thing about South Bay Development on Emporis or on archboston so what's up with that?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:26 AM

anyone got ne answers or ne thing to say???
this thread like died

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
Everywhere all at once

uhh no nothin

this project is like dead, at least for now, until the find a new location, and come up with a new design.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:55 PM

BostonBoy, if you want to know more about this project go to http://architecturalboston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41. There are 50 pages worth of information there, along with some more recent news on the project.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon506 View Post
BostonBoy, if you want to know more about this project go to http://architecturalboston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41. There are 50 pages worth of information there, along with some more recent news on the project.
Yeah, perhaps this thread should be closed...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, perhaps this thread should be closed...
well...ummm....maybe not closed, temporarily retired perhaps?
I don't want to give up on Boston just yet.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:11 AM

There's no reason to close the thread, the project is still very much alive, it's just that there haven't been any momentous developments lately. This waiting period is the boring part of the process. But in the meantime, here is a very recent interview with the developer of the tower. IMO, he seems pretty optomistic.

Steve Belkin Interview - NECN

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:21 AM
BANNED

Didn't the arcs back out of the plan?

Hopefully someone else will be found to start it up again. Have heard anything else about it, so it looks like it's been put on the back burner for now.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:00 AM
low-riding

the thing is we have to figure out who the designs actually belong to. can the developer still build the tower with the exit of the arch firm or is it now that the arch firm left, they took their design with them. that makes all the difference in the world whether or not this project is alive or dead

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Didn't the arcs back out of the plan?
Yes, Renzo Piano backed out of the plan due to a dispute with Belkin, the developer, over the wdith of the tower. Belkin wanted to increase the width to make the tower more marketable, but Piano didn't want to compromise his design. Although Piano is no longer part of the team, Belkin still owns his design. Currently, full responsibility for the design of the tower has been handed over to Boston-based CBT Architects. It is likely that we will see a reworking of the design, but still mostly keeping to Piano's original structure. Maybe some setbacks to address the issue of width? Right now, we're just waiting for Belkin to release new renderings, but as far as I know, this project has not been put on the backburner.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
There's no reason to close the thread, the project is still very much alive,
Very much alive, yet here is your own post...

Quote:
Why send someone for info elsewhere if this thread is open?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up Tommy's Tower Not Dead Yet.

Here's the latest on the proposed tower;

Talk is cheap, but where are the tower payments?
Belkin hasn't coughed up.

May 09,2007

(Boston Hearald, or http://www.bostonherald.com)

by Scott Van Voorhis.

City Hall insists that Tommy's Tower is for real.

There is no reason at all to doubt that the mayor's vision of a 1,000-foot tower rising above Boston's skyline is right on schedule, I'm told.

After all, local businessman Steve Belkin has been showing off stunning renderings of what would be the city's tallest office tower, and with a park on top. He wants to start work next year, in time to open his 80-story behemouth in 2011.

But one sure way of proving that it's a serious plan would be to start showing weary taxpayers the money.

BNelkin unveiled plans for his $1b tower last fall. In January, Mayor Thomas M. Menino gave his offcial blessing to Belkin's proposal to replace a crumbling,
city-owned parking garage with a Renzo Piano-disigned tower.

So far, so good.
So gthe next step, one might assume, would be a check for the site, or at least a little downpayment, right?

Not exactly.
While word is that the garage is worth as much as $70m, there is no deadlinr yet for Belkin to make his first payment, city officials acknowledge. The property which has been eyed for a possible sale by city officials for years, is still being assessed.

Nor is there any timeline for when Belkin's first payment for the garage site might be made either.

All of which sounds odd given that Belkin, the tower's would-be developer, has been freely talking up plans to begin work next year.

But it gets even stranger.
Menino's blessing in January was supposed to have triggered a chain of payments to the city, eventually culminating with Belkin owning the garage site.

The mayor in a press release, recommended to the Boston Redevelopment Authority that Belkin be "tentatively designated" as the developer.

With tentative designation, Belkin was supposed to pay 1% of the purchase price. Another 24% was to have been paid up 90 days later upon formal designation.

Based on an estimated value of $70m - that's roughly $17m - nothing to sneeze at as city officials scramble for a million here and a million there to put extra cops on the streets.

But a funny thing happened on the way to designation.

Four months and counting, City Hall's developing arm, not known for refusing to carry out the mayor's marching orders, has yet to implement his recommendation.

A spokewoman for the BRA blamed complicated negotiations, but has insisted that everything is on track.

Still, when it comes to any business deal, nothing says it like cold, hard cash.

Last edited by Daquan13; May 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Why send someone for info elsewhere if this thread is open?
I don't think it's very practical to post 50 pages of information on this board as well. When something big happens, you can bet it will be posted here too. But for now I don't see what's so hard about clicking a link.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't think it's very practical to post 50 pages of information on this board as well. When something big happens, you can bet it will be posted here too. But for now I don't see what's so hard about clicking a link.
It's called a summary.

My original point was, if every question is going to be redirected elsewhere, why have this thread at all? Where's the logic to it?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Someone gets it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Here's the latest on the proposed tower;

Talk is cheap, but where are the tower payments?
Belkin hasn't coughed up.

May 09,2007
(Boston Hearald, http://www.bostonherald.com)

by Scott Van Voorhis.

City Hall insists that Tommy's Tower is for real.

There is no reason at all to doubt that the mayor's vision of a 1,000-foot tower rising above Boston's skyline is right on schedule, I'm told.

After all, local businessman Steve Belkin has been showing off stunning renderings of what would be the city's tallest office tower, and with a park on top. He wants to start work next year, in time to open his 80-story behemouth in 2011.

A spokewoman for the BRA blamed complicated negotiations, but has insisted that everything is on track.

Still, when it comes to any business deal, nothing says it like cold, hard cash.
Hmmmm....maybe some Irish developer will save this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive