HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That would be terrible. This is a University of Texas arena first and foremost. People shouldn't lose sight of that fact. They can't fill the current arena with students/fans. They sure as hell better not build a new arena even further away from campus or it'll never have a chance at filling up with students, rail or not.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
That would be terrible. This is a University of Texas arena first and foremost. People shouldn't lose sight of that fact. They can't fill the current arena with students/fans. They sure as hell better not build a new arena even further away from campus or it'll never have a chance at filling up with students, rail or not.
That's beside the point. They need an arena, and none of the above options are realistic. This is literally the closest they could possibly get within reason.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:37 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think it's more likely they tear down buildings on campus to build an arena than it is to build that far away.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:31 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
They don't have anything they can tear down that is of sufficient geographic spread to fit a new stadium.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:19 AM
~Hook'em~

I think they could fit a 10k arena where Gregory is easy. If not then how about we get rid of Jester? The ugliest building I've ever seen.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:46 AM

Y'all....all this talk about arenas is making me sooooo tired

Any news on ...anything other than an arena?

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I think they could fit a 10k arena where Gregory is easy. If not then how about we get rid of Jester? The ugliest building I've ever seen.
Isn't Jester a revenue source for UT, though? I'm sure it's not free to stay there, and since it is one of the few large dorms, it would take another big building like Callaway House or 2400 Nueces at least to replace it. But then it's a matter of where to put it. UT doesn't own land in West Campus do they?

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:14 AM
Meh

5/11

Corazon.

Hyatt Regency Ballroom and parking garage rendering:

Gables Park Plaza II

View from the pedestrian bridge.

2400 Nueces

Callaway House

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:38 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
They don't have anything they can tear down that is of sufficient geographic spread to fit a new stadium.
As Kevin has pointed out previously, there would be plenty of land south of Memorial Stadium if some of those buildings were replaced.

Is it possible an arena ends up in some ridiculous area far from campus? Yes. Would I, or most Longhorn fans, like it? No.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 1:06 PM

Why would there be so many cars parked in this area? I can't think of anything in that immediate area that would be such a draw.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:09 PM

^^ Hope Farmers Market maybe?

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
As Kevin has pointed out previously, there would be plenty of land south of Memorial Stadium if some of those buildings were replaced.

Is it possible an arena ends up in some ridiculous area far from campus? Yes. Would I, or most Longhorn fans, like it? No.
Having been a season ticket holder since the opening of the drum I have first hand knowledge of how low the student attendance is at the games. It's not the student's fault though. UT cares about one thing and that is making money. The entire lower level is sold out with season ticket holders so they don't have any interest in providing better seating for the students which would improve the game day experience. They will build a new arena when and where is benefits them the most.

I have heard that it will not be on campus and that it will be a joint effort with the COA. However, I agree they should remodel Gregory and create an atmosphere like Duke has at Cameron Indoor.

I imagine a new arena will be built in a location that benefits both UT and the COA so near the convention center seems like a logical location.

Seeing how fast the new medical school has progressed I imagine the drum will be razed within five years to make room for the medical campus expansion.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Why would there be so many cars parked in this area? I can't think of anything in that immediate area that would be such a draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
^^ Hope Farmers Market maybe?
All of the people who work in all of the businesses across the street park there. I know this because my father used to work for 501 Post before it shut down (which was across the street - he parked there, ofcourse). None of them have dedicated parking.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
I guess some of those cars are there for the market, which I'm not familiar with. As wwmiv mentioned, I do know there are offices in the three buildings that are nearest to I-35. My brother works in the building across Brushy Street from 501 Studios, and he usually parks in that parking lot. Those offices are pretty neat. They're old buildings from the 30s that have sort of been reconditioned for office space. I guess they were originally warehouse space because they didn't look like they had been designed for offices originally.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

That pic is a good example of what I mean if you look there is nothing south of the commuter rail line and it is a good amount of space that could fit an arena. Its not that close to the neighborhoods and the noise from a concert would not go beyond the walls of the arena. Have you heard a concert thats going on within the Erwin Center outside?

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:43 PM

South Shore Redevelopment

I just grabbed the screen captures from the KVUE story. The link at the end of the story should take us to the plans but I could not find them so this was better than nothing.
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Resid...207305811.html

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 10:32 PM

Interesting. Hopefully, the highrises don't all look alike like they do in that 3rd rendering.

That bridge is cool, though.

I took some pictures at Mueller today. There's a lot going on there right now. I'll make a post on the Mueller thread about it. But here's how the Austin Children's Museum is coming along. This thing stands out so much in that neighborhood due to its color. I sort of feel like another color (blue, maybe) would have been better. Maybe it will look better once they get some trees and stuff in there.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
I just grabbed the screen captures from the KVUE story. The link at the end of the story should take us to the plans but I could not find them so this was better than nothing.
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Resid...207305811.html
I went to that presentation last night and posted a few more of the renderings that were on display in this post

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Who remembers Estancia Hill Country? That big development planned for extreme South Austin. I noticed today there were two signs up at the property along I-35 saying "Coming Fall 2013". The developer is Lennar. I tried searching for a page related to them, but didn't really see one.

There is this, though:

http://www.cbre.us/o/austin/properti...ages/main.aspx

There was something in the Austin Business Journal about that a few days ago.

Lennar plans six new home communities in Austin area

Quote:
...and Estancia in far South Austin west of I-35, which will open in December.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:40 AM

You know The Callaway House is not turning out so bad. I'm really liking the red brink for some reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations