HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 2:02 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Why is a Newfoundland team terrifying? Is it because I'd be all over it, or something else I don't get?

Yeah, football isn't big here. The Roughriders have a group of local supporters who moved here from Saskatchewan. They host parties and things like that.

When I lived in Winnipeg, my father was over the moon to go to a Blue Bombers (that's the name right?) game just to experience it. He said once was enough.
It was my comment. Apologies to anyone if I offended. Having grown up in Saskatchewan and living in Newfoundland for a few years I can see that if football was big in Newfoundland the fans would be as annoying as Rider fans and probably as pervasive all over the country. Football is not big in Newfoundland though, we tried hosting a Grey Cup party when we lived in St. Philips, but no one was interested. We should have just planned a party and not mentioned the football. I'm sure that would have worked better.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I’m predicting that they’ll hire Mark Cohon.
Westhead: Plenty of Speculation Over Who Could Lead MLSE
Rick Westhead TSN Senior Correspondent 8/21/2014

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment may not need to go so far afield to find their next leader.

With news that president and CEO Tim Leiweke will leave the company next summer, sources close to the MLSE board say it's already possible to compile a list of potential successors.

Canadian Olympic Committee chief executive Chris Overholt is at the head of the list.

Sources tell TSN that Overholt has "absolutely turned the COC around" since he was hired in 2010, first as marketing director, and then as CEO.

Overholt is a Toronto native and a former MLSE employee. He was the company's vice president of sales and service from 1998 to 2003. He knows the company's culture, and also has experience working with the Miami Dolphins and Florida Panthers.

"Chris absolutely would have to be considered a frontrunner," said one source close to MLSE.

Former MLSE president and CEO Richard Peddie told TSN that when he was hired, "I figured 20 per cent of the job would be managing the board."

Peddie said it wasn't easy. He said he clashed for about a year with MLSE board chair Larry Tanenbaum. "We had issues for about 12 months, it wasn't easy," Peddie said, declining to elaborate. "I think now with Bell and Rogers both owning the company the job has only become more challenging. You need someone who really knows his way around a company. I had been a president with five different companies before I was hired by MLSE and it still wasn't easy."

Former Madison Square Garden CEO Scott O'Neil, who helped run the New York Rangers and Knicks, would be another candidate.

And O'Neil was a candidate for the MLSE CEO position when Leiweke was hired.

"Scott had a great interview and got along with (MLSE board chair) Larry Tanenbaum very well," a source told TSN. "He was surprised when he didn't get the job."

O'Neil, a former senior VP of marketing with the NBA, is the chief executive of the New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center in Newark and the Philadelphia 76ers. Both the 76ers and Devils are owned by Josh Harris, a hedge fund millionaire.

The MLSE job would seem to be a more attractive role. "Scott is a great candidate," Peddie said. "He survived dysfunction with MSG, helped new owners in Philadelphia, and is now in New Jersey with an owner who spends way too much money."

Peddie said it's unlikely that former MLSE executive Tom Anselmi would be considered for the job.

"What's that saying...you can't go home again," Peddie said.

MLSE will also probably consider a few internal candidates to replace Leiweke.

At that top of that list would be Dave Hopkinson, the company's chief commercial officer, who has been responsible for helping MLSE boost revenue.

It's also possible that outgoing Canadian Football League Commissioner Mark Cohon, who also worked with the NBA, might be interested in the job. He similarly told sources years ago that he would love the chance to guide Canada's most powerful sports company.

Leafs President Brendan Shanahan may also garner an interview for the job. Shanahan is well-regarded in hockey circles for his management skills, but lacks the experience many believe he would need to run a company worth more than $2 billion.

It's unclear whether MLSE considered a female candidate when hiring Leiweke and it's similarly uncertain whether the company would pursue a woman today.

Several women should merit consideration including Canadian Stacey Allaster, the chairman and chief executive of the Women's Tennis Association who has expanded the WTA's pool of prize money and landed sponsorships with Xerox, Sony and other companies, and Heidi Ueberroth, who oversaw the NBA's global expansion as president of NBA International.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It was my comment. Apologies to anyone if I offended. Having grown up in Saskatchewan and living in Newfoundland for a few years I can see that if football was big in Newfoundland the fans would be as annoying as Rider fans and probably as pervasive all over the country. Football is not big in Newfoundland though, we tried hosting a Grey Cup party when we lived in St. Philips, but no one was interested. We should have just planned a party and not mentioned the football. I'm sure that would have worked better.
No offense taken, and an accurate assessment. I just didn't understand what was being said and was curious to know.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
. We should have just planned a party and not mentioned the football. I'm sure that would have worked better.
Im sure thats not far from the truth even in toronto.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 1:31 PM

Radley: is Kyle Quinlan ready to play again?
Scott Radley The Hamilton Spectator 08/23/2014

Take a quick glance around the Canadian Football League and you'll find at least a couple of teams — one of them right here in Hamilton and another in Montreal — facing rather obvious quarterback issues. The Ticats are down to their third-string pivot and the Alouettes are thin as well.

So while it might be a long shot, you have to wonder if Kyle Quinlan's keeping his cellphone nearby these days.

"It's on," he says.

Really? If a CFL general manager rang, he'd take the call?

"Yeah, I'd definitely listen … I'm definitely still interested."

Seems 15 months after the man seen as the best hope to finally end the all-American grip on the QB position in the CFL decided not to pursue a career as a player, he may be open to getting back on the field if the right situation presents itself.

It's important to stress the words may and the right situation. The 25-year-old isn't actively pursuing a gig. Montreal owns his rights and has him on its suspended list, yet he hasn't been on the phone to them lobbying for a shot.

Still, the fact that he'd entertain the possibility is intriguing.

We know what some will say. Quinlan had his chance and he abandoned it. In fact, had he not passed up the opportunity to go to Montreal in order to return to Hamilton as a coach — he's now in charge of McMaster's QBs and running backs, and is head coach of the OVFL Ironmen — he might be getting his chance right now. So why bother rehashing this story?

Because while all that may be true, things change. And the reasons for his decision were not about quitting or suddenly hating the game. Rather, a big part of it stemmed from cues he picked up from the Alouettes that led him to believe that even with an impressive resumé and a three-year contract, he wasn't going to get a legitimate shot at the job. Being a PR prop didn't interest him.

On top of everything else, part of Quinlan's decision to step away simply came from not being 100 per cent sure that pro football was what he wanted to do.

"I wasn't mentally or physically into it at the time," he says.

Now? He's not working out to prepare for game action but the fact that he's even openly discussing pulling on a helmet suggests he might've started to regain the itch.

Need another hint? Next summer, the International Federation of American Football world championship is being held in Sweden. Former McMaster and Hamilton Tiger-Cats head coach Greg Marshall has been chosen as Canada's head coach. He called Quinlan to see if he was open to playing and found a receptive ear.

"Oh yeah, certainly I'm interested in that," Quinlan says. "I'd definitely play in that."

The big question will be, even if he wanted to come back and take a stab at the pros — whether with Montreal or with another team willing to trade for his rights — could he? Is a year-and-a-half away from the game too much? Is the magic gone?

McMaster head coach Stef Ptaszek says it would absolutely take a little while for Quinlan to get in game shape, knock off the rust and learn a new system. But his former pivot gets this type of football and he wouldn't require the lengthy learning curve faced by imports.

Plus, watching him effortlessly launch the ball around Ron Joyce Stadium during breaks in the Marauders' training camp clearly shows his arm hasn't withered.

"The kid is an exceptional talent of three-down football and motion and the wide field," Ptaszek says. "He's a competitive guy and physically I don't believe time has passed him by."

Meaning if you needed a QB now, do you take a chance on someone with a great arm but a brain not yet wired for the Canadian rules or reach out to a young man whose arm may not be quite as explosive but who already understands the nuances of our game? One who's spent the past 18 months studying the game as a coach to enhance his knowledge base. And who may now be receptive to the idea.

"If I'm a GM," Ptaszek says, "he's on my board as someone I could call."

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Someone should let everyone else in NL know about how great football is. It saddens me that I only know a small hand full of people who play/watch the game. Even in PEI I could go to work on a Monday morning and people were going crazy about the Sunday night game, their fantasy teams, etc.

Also call me crazy, but now since I don't have eastlink tv here in St. John's, does anyone know if there's any other way to AUS college football on Saturdays?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

http://www.austv.ca - live webcasts.

Go Mounties!!!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

http://www.austv.ca - live webcasts.

Go Mounties!!!

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 1:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Congrats, b'ys!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:15 AM

What a useless team the Blue Jays are! Sitting at .500 after losing 3 series they should have won. Guess this team and the front office aren't as great as some thought they are.

No meaningful games in September for the 21st year in a row!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:02 AM

Video Link

interesting view of NHL expansion throughout the years..

& slide show of potential expansion in the future (place your vote on best bet for next expansion city)..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/3...nd-contraction

..especially in light of recent talk of Vegas as 'done deal'

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...984/story.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Video Link

interesting view of NHL expansion throughout the years..

& slide show of potential expansion in the future (place your vote on best bet for next expansion city)..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/3...nd-contraction

..especially in light of recent talk of Vegas as 'done deal'

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ga...984/story.html
I suppose, then, that the ideal scenario that is emerging for the NHL would be new teams in Vegas and Seattle, and the move of a sad-sack eastern franchise to Quebec city.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 1:35 PM

^ Might as well just merge the AHL and NHL and be done with it. 60 teams! Featuring intense regional rivalries like Santa Barbara vs. Burbank! And I'm sure it won't affect the quality of the game one bit!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...orts-1.2748166

CBC is talking about four new NHL teams by 2017-18
- Seattle
- Las Vegas
- Quebec City
- Toronto

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:16 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Toronto Argonauts (HC)
Seattle Metropolitans
Quebec uh. . . Voltigeurs?
Las Vegas High Rollers?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:40 PM

Las Vegas Snake Eyes

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Toronto Argonauts (HC)
Seattle Metropolitans
Quebec uh. . . Voltigeurs?
Las Vegas High Rollers?
How about Nordiques for the team in Quebec City?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Might as well just merge the AHL and NHL and be done with it. 60 teams! Featuring intense regional rivalries like Santa Barbara vs. Burbank! And I'm sure it won't affect the quality of the game one bit!
34 teams. Geez. You'd think that ice hockey is by far the most popular spectator sport on this landmass!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...orts-1.2748166

CBC is talking about four new NHL teams by 2017-18
- Seattle
- Las Vegas
- Quebec City
- Toronto
I am not sure that Howard Bloom (who lives in Ottawa), the guy who is being quoted in all of these articles, is the most credible source BTW.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:45 PM

Vegas and Quebec City will have arenas ready to go, but there's no way Seattle would have an arena ready unless an arena plan is set in motion right quick.

If I were commissioner (which I'm not) I would take Portland over a 2nd Toronto team. We need a Pacific NW rivalry to replace the pathetic Alberta teams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada