HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
@AlouettesFLDeck reporting that the Alouettes will be reducing capacity of Percival Molson stadium in 2019 to "Around 20K" to "create a better atmosphere".

Team averaged between 17k and 18k in 2018.
How about put a better product on the field and don't charge the high ticket prices to sit on bench seats and get more buts in seats, the capacity is only about 23,500 right now. Seems like the wrong approach to me...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:06 PM

^ Als ticket price points are very expensive for what they offer (several years of mediocrity and the most barebones stadium in the league)... but when was the last time any pro team rolled back ticket prices by a significant margin? It just doesn't happen. Tarping off sections it is.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
when was the last time any pro team rolled back ticket prices by a significant margin? It just doesn't happen.
Didn't TFC do that a few years ago because they sucked so bad?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Didn't TFC do that a few years ago because they sucked so bad?
TFC generally have some of the highest ticket prices in MLS. They're going up this year despite the team missing the playoffs.

Unlike the Alouettes, the Argonauts rolled back their ticket pricing for 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global
To get fans to [Argonauts] games, the average ticket price will be rolled back by 23 per cent, meaning about 2,600 tickets will be sold for as low as $15 per game for season’s seat holders and $19 per game for single-seat buyers.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4137099/t...et-price-drop/

Of course, the Argonauts both lowered ticket prices and limited the number of available seats in their stadium.

This is most likely better suited for the attendance and marketing thread, though.

--------------

The Alouettes reducing capacity is an interesting decision given that the recent expansion of Percival Molson (going from 20K to 25K capacity) occurred less than ten years ago and was financed primarily with government money: $19M from Quebec, $4M from Montreal, with $6M coming from the Als owner.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...nsion-1.842309

At the time the Als were basically saying that they couldn't remain economically feasible in the medium-term in a stadium limited to 20K seats.

So, more food for thought for folks in Halifax.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
TFC generally have some of the highest ticket prices in MLS. They're going up this year despite the team missing the playoffs.
And attendance beginning to fall, which is ironic because of how many times Argo haterz would gleefully state how could they win a championship and the next year have the attendance decrease.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

The Alouettes reducing capacity is an interesting decision given that the recent expansion of Percival Molson (going from 20K to 25K capacity) occurred less than ten years ago and was financed primarily with government money: $19M from Quebec, $4M from Montreal, with $6M coming from the Als owner.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...nsion-1.842309

At the time the Als were basically saying that they couldn't remain economically feasible in the medium-term in a stadium limited to 20K seats.
First thing I thought about when I read about this.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First thing I thought about when I read about this.
It was pretty much around the time that the expanded seating opened that their attendance began declining. Clearly a mistake in hindsight.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
How about put a better product on the field and don't charge the high ticket prices to sit on bench seats and get more buts in seats, the capacity is only about 23,500 right now. Seems like the wrong approach to me...
I agree. The stadium looks bush league, uninviting, an embarrassing eye-sore. Removing some or all of the steel bench seats and installing plastic seating like what was done to Lansdowne Park in Ottawa would go a long way IMO.

Last edited by migo; Nov 4, 2018 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:15 PM

Molson stadium is already so small there is no need for this it is not the Big O with 56,500 seats. Make tickets cheaper and fill the place up with a good football team.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I live and work in Hamilton and cannot disagree enough with this statement.

Ticats are a big talking point in this town, and no you wouldn't alienate yourself in the workplace talking about them.
Hamilton is a bit of an anomaly, I suppose. Attendance has been steady, if unspectacular. But do people actually talk TiCats? It might be that I don't run in those circles.

Fair enough, the truth is likely somewhere between 'big talking point' and 'a great way to alienate yourself in the workplace'.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 1:23 PM

I doubt the Als will go as far as removing the structures that were added during the 2010 stadium expansion, that would be unnecessarily expensive and as other said, this expansion was funded by public funds. They are probably talking about removing bleachers or tarping them off, but probably nothing that cannot be easily reverted to the original configuration. If am I wrong on this, I will start seriously start questioning the capacity of the team to manage their operations as this would be a very short-sighted decision.

Last edited by le calmar; Nov 4, 2018 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 4:35 PM

it seems since Whettenhal let his son assume more and more day to day control of the club the last few years they have become more and more inept. I hope the Whettenhal's sell this team to the Habs or some sort of local ownership group.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I doubt the Als will go as far as removing the structures that were added during the 2010 stadium expansion, that would be unnecessarily expensive and as other said, this expansion was funded by public funds. They are probably talking about removing bleachers or tarping them off, but probably nothing that cannot be easily reverted to the original configuration. If am I wrong on this, I will start seriously start questioning the capacity of the team to manage their operations as this would be a very short-sighted decision.
Why spend piles of money disassembling the bleachers when a tarp will accomplish pretty well the same purpose? Besides, there's a good chance those sections might be needed again if the Alouettes manage to get it together.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 10:51 PM
Ham-burgher

Percival Molson is a fine stadium for football buffs who don't really care what they're sitting on. But what they can do with it to make it more comfortable is limited (e.g., I doubt they can really do anything to install individual seats, given the limitations of the existing structure... this was why Ivor Wynne was demolished and not partially rebuilt and refurbished -- the north stands had rows that were too narrow for seating, even the cheapo stuff installed in parts of BMO and TD Place)

What they should have done is improve the corporate box and club seating, and collective spaces for the regular ticket-buyers. That has been where the money is for the other teams.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't really expect any more updates on the Avenir Centre in Moncton here in the national stadium thread, since the arena is now complete and fully operational, but as a parting shot, I present you the Moncton Wildcats dressing room, which opened for use by the team last week. Owner Robert Irving spared no expense, and had designers visit multiple other team facilities in major junior hockey, the NHL and the NFL all over North America to come up with his final plan.

Moncton Wildcats dressing room at the Avenir Centre

11,000 sq ft (the size of four typical suburban houses).

Includes - street side and rink side locker rooms, kitchen and dining area, lounge, theatre, equipment repair and laundry facilities, medical clinic, hydrotherapy, gymnasium, washroom & showers, stick rack & equipment prep area and coaches offices.

All photos have been shamelessly appropriated from the T&T
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...e=daily-digest (paywall)

26 seat theatre for review of game films

Rink side dressing room with smart board for coaches presentations

Player lounge with TV and video game system

Kitchen

Washroom & showers

Gymnasium and training room

Every friggin player in the QMJHL is going to want to come and play for the Moncton Wildcats!!!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Make tickets cheaper and fill the place up with a good football team.
If only life was that easy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
this was why Ivor Wynne was demolished and not partially rebuilt and refurbished -- the north stands had rows that were too narrow for seating, even the cheapo stuff installed in parts of BMO and TD Place)
I believe the issue was the grade of the stands which didn't allow for chairs with backs to be installed.

This article from 2011 offers some good information on the issues that drive a franchise and stadium and why certain decisions are made.

Mitchell answers questions
Steve Milton Hamilton Spectator Sept 01 2011

At first blush, it all seems counter intuitive.

How can building new stands on the north side of Ivor Wynne Stadium not cost more than renovating the current ones?

And how can the significantly reduced seating capacity — from the original 25,000 seats to a reported 22,500 — not negatively impact the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ bottom line?

Those were among the nagging questions after it was revealed last week that plans for the Pan Am Stadium on the current site of Ivor Wynne now call for the entire north stands to be torn down and rebuilt, instead of being refurbished atop the current infrastructure.

“This is absolutely and positively the most cost-efficient and responsible decision,” Ticat president Scott Mitchell answered Wednesday. “This isn’t a good thing, it’s a great thing.”

By agreeing to the reduced seat inventory, the Ticats made a major concession to Infrastructure Ontario to keep construction costs at the original estimate.

And, Mitchell says, potential builders will welcome the idea of constructing the north stands from the ground up, rather than trying to work around existing flaws, many of which are major.

“That’s 100 per cent accurate,” Mitchell said. “This creates cost certainty in the construction phase. You never know what you’re going to find out when you renovate. It might have involved all kinds of (capital) expense that wasn’t anticipated. And this prohibits the city from potentially having to spend tens of millions of dollars in maintenance of the north stands in the next few years.”

Additionally, having renovated north stands with uncomfortable bench seating and the same washroom and concession facilities as in the past would have meant that the Cats, and the city, were going to operate, in effect, two different facilities.

“What was clearly emerging was a have-versus-have-not scenario on the two sides of the stadium,” he said. “And that’s not conducive to effective cost management or a good in-stadium experience.”

The Tiger-Cats need to derive $10 million per year, or roughly $1 million per game, from ticket sales. Mitchell, bound by a confidentiality clause, would not comment on the exact capacity of the new stadium. But assuming the 22,500 figure is accurate, at an average $50 per ticket, the Cats will cover the $10 million as long as they sell out most games.

And a smaller stadium actually helps dramatically with that. Increasing the demand for tickets because there is a limited supply should translate into more season ticket holders than the current number, estimated to be slightly under 15,000. The Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox have always operated that way because of their old, small stadiums, but in 1990 the Baltimore Orioles became the first professional sports team to deliberately build a new stadium smaller than their old one. That forces fans to buy season’s tickets for fear that they won’t be able to get the tickets for games they really want. Then, weather and the competitive state of the team don’t affect sales as profoundly. The Montreal Alouettes had the same situation with the 20,000-seat Molson Stadium, and sold out every game for years.

The Ticats average between 23,000 and 24,000 spectators per game but about 20 per cent of them enjoy complimentary tickets, significantly lower than the figure from three years ago but still nearly double the industry standard. Tightening up on contra (tickets instead of cash, paid for services) and special group sales will allow the Cats to realize full income from a far greater percentage of the seats.

“So the biggest casualty in the capacity reduction will be those contra deals and big corporate buys,” Mitchell said.

The break-even point for most CFL teams is believed to be about $15 million in total annual income. With recent huge increases in TV viewership, broadcast revenues are expected to double or triple in the next couple of years, taking a big bite out of the $5 million income required beyond ticket sales. While the number of high-rent corporate boxes and club seats slated for the new stadium have not been revealed, there are going to be at least twice as many as there are now, adding more income potential to the Cats’ balance sheet.

“And clearly, we’ll have major increased revenue from concessions and merchandising because of an enhanced stadium experience,” Mitchell says. “It will also be a better experience for our corporate partners.”

The Ticats plan to cap individual season ticket sales at between 17,000 and 18,000. Season’s tickets prices for 2011 range from $14 per game in the end zone to $160 for the box seats at midfield. Those prices are expected to rise by two per cent next year.

But the team announced Wednesday that season’s tickets for 2012, the last season at Ivor Wynne, would cost the same as tickets for 2014, the first season in the new stadium.

“We wanted to nip in the bud all the talk that ‘I won’t be able to go to the new stadium because I can’t afford it,’” Mitchell explained.

Mitchell also said that the $1.3 million rent the Cats will pay the city in the new stadium will be the highest in the CFL and that the more income the club makes, the more the city will make on their rake-off of the profit, over and above the rental agreement.

And, he says, the seating capacity on opening day doesn’t have to remain that way. He wouldn’t comment directly, but the configuration of the new stadium has to include room for enough temporary seating to reach the 40,000 minimum required to play host to a Grey Cup Game.

“Infrastructure Ontario will deliver a great stadium, but obviously there’d be nothing stopping us, as far as far as post-Pan Am Games go, from adding more seating ourselves.”

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:12 PM

^ To that point, Winnipeg Enterprises attempted to upgrade the old Winnipeg Stadium before the 1999 Pan Am Games. One of the things they did was to replace all the benches in the lower deck seats with individual chairs. The problem was the rows were not designed with that in mind, so the rows were extraordinarily cramped. It was a terrible setup. So it was nice that you had back support, but it was lousy having to contort your legs to fit into the space.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't really expect any more updates on the Avenir Centre in Moncton here in the national stadium thread, since the arena is now complete and fully operational, but as a parting shot, I present you the Moncton Wildcats dressing room, which opened for use by the team last week. Owner Robert Irving spared no expense, and had designers visit multiple other team facilities in major junior hockey, the NHL and the NFL all over North America to come up with his final plan.
[B][I]
People still post about Rogers Place, so I wouldn't even be worried about it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I believe the issue was the grade of the stands which didn't allow for chairs with backs to be installed.
That's related to the narrow row problem, especially for the upper sections of the old north stand that were steeper (the lower ones had bench backs but legroom was tight... in the upper parts you'd be sitting with your knees in someone's back if you were over 5'9" or had long legs). Plus they were cramped along the length of the row too -- sellouts would be shoulder-to-shoulder and it wasn't hard for anyone even just a bit larger than average to spill over into their neighbouring seats.

A refurbished lower seating area would have had basically the same issue esquire describes, and I doubt anything could have been done at all for the higher sections.

But that article also gets at all the other problems they'd have had to work around, which are probably very common to Molson. Old washrooms and staircases that would have to be brought up to modern code. Kitchen and concession facilities shoehorned into cramped spaces. Lack of accessibility, etc. Despite being newer (I believe they were built and opened not long before the 1972 Grey Cup was held; south stand was replaced in 1959) I felt that the north stands were in many ways poorer than the south ones. Their only advantage was having two concourses; the upper one especially had lots of room. The pigeons liked it too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada