HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
$500? Really?

Deck (Piles, structure, skirting,...)
Fence (concrete for posts
pavers (side walk to backyard, garden borders, ...)
Trees (not cheap...$100 a tree, $50 a shrub)
Shed ($1500 minimum)
Sprinklers
Retaining walls

Honestly, $100,000 doesn't get you a pristine acreage. Builders say that typical landscaping is about 25-30% of the cost of the home build.
Ya, I'm going to call BS on that. I've done the landscaping on three of the homes I lived at over the past 15 years and it doesn't come anywhere close to that figure. I am honestly not surprised if builders are scamming people into including this kind of thing into their build, however.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I recently did my yard (sod + stone retaining/garden wall) and it was about $3,000 total. Much of that was to remove the old soil and bring in new. Laid the sod myself after it was delivered, and then had the stones for the wall delivered and did that over a weekend. A "regular" yard (some grass, flowers, trees) is only a few thousand dollars.
Not if you are starting from a new build... which is what the original question was. Did you build a fence? Deck? Did you bring in trees? Soil? Nope, so I stand by my $100,000

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Not if you are starting from a new build... which is what the original question was. Did you build a fence? Deck? Did you bring in trees? Soil? Nope, so I stand by my $100,000
You don't need a deck and no one would include it as part of landscaping.

The original question was about lack if trees and greenery in front yards in new neighbourhoods. Nothing about decks, sheds, or retaining walls.

Soil and sod are very cheap. The city gives out free saplings.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Ya, I'm going to call BS on that. I've done the landscaping on three of the homes I lived at over the past 15 years and it doesn't come anywhere close to that figure. I am honestly not surprised if builders are scamming people into including this kind of thing into their build, however.
Just do the math. I just recent rebuilt my deck...nothing extravagant. The quotes from all the Deck shops, were $20,000-30,000. Obviously, if you can do it yourself, you save a ton on labour...but then if you build your own house, you can save too.

There are so many homeowners that think they can do it themselves, but it looks like absolute crap after the first winter. Take a walk around your block today and I guarantee you can tell which yards were done by the homeowner. I you can do it yourself, that's fantastic, but most people don't have the skills or the proper equipment.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
You don't need a deck and no one would include it as part of landscaping.

The original question was about lack if trees and greenery in front yards in new neighbourhoods. Nothing about decks, sheds, or retaining walls.

Soil and sod are very cheap. The city gives out free saplings.
WTF? A deck is absolutely part of landscaping...so is a fence. When you build a new home, a deck or fence is NOT included.

You don't need flooring or baseboards inside your house, why would you want that either?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 6:49 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:35 PM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/regina-cit...city-1.6106109
Regina city council votes in favour of annexing land north of city

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just do the math. I just recent rebuilt my deck...nothing extravagant. The quotes from all the Deck shops, were $20,000-30,000. Obviously, if you can do it yourself, you save a ton on labour...but then if you build your own house, you can save too.

There are so many homeowners that think they can do it themselves, but it looks like absolute crap after the first winter. Take a walk around your block today and I guarantee you can tell which yards were done by the homeowner. I you can do it yourself, that's fantastic, but most people don't have the skills or the proper equipment.
I did do the math. I built a house in Warman and did most of the landscaping myself (most of the front was done by the builder as a neighbourhood requirement, at no extra cost to us because the builder forget about the requirement, and I doubt it costed them even $10k to do for concrete walkway, topsoil, sod, and tree, consider it was it was done at the same time as other homes).

You got ripped off, bro.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I did do the math. I built a house in Warman and did most of the landscaping myself (most of the front was done by the builder as a neighbourhood requirement, at no extra cost to us because the builder forget about the requirement, and I doubt it costed them even $10k to do for concrete walkway, topsoil, sod, and tree, consider it was it was done at the same time as other homes).

You got ripped off, bro.
A 100k for a landscaped yard? is pure insanity. 25k for a deck? you must have one heulluva deck then because there is not a deck on any "tract" style avg house that is costing that much. A typical deck for an AVG house shouldn't be much more than 5k materials and labour. If you want it covered with a shingled deck? toss another 12k on to that.

An avg landscaped yard should not cost more than 25-30k which would be pretty skookum. to suggest it costs 25-30% of a house build is pure insanity. PURE insanity.

Some of the numbers that get thrown around on this forum blow my mind. For a construction forum there are either a lot of people getting hosed by contractors or a lot of people getting their numbers from a bunch of guys in hardhats and yellow vests...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
A 100k for a landscaped yard? is pure insanity. 25k for a deck? you must have one heulluva deck then because there is not a deck on any "tract" style avg house that is costing that much. A typical deck for an AVG house shouldn't be much more than 5k materials and labour. If you want it covered with a shingled deck? toss another 12k on to that.

An avg landscaped yard should not cost more than 25-30k which would be pretty skookum. to suggest it costs 25-30% of a house build is pure insanity. PURE insanity.

Some of the numbers that get thrown around on this forum blow my mind. For a construction forum there are either a lot of people getting hosed by contractors or a lot of people getting their numbers from a bunch of guys in hardhats and yellow vests...
You'd be surprised. We decided to redo our patio at the bottom of our deck. About 100 ft2 (10x10). We had my buddy's son do it. He didn't charge much for labour but the composite decking was astronomical. We thought it would be about 3K but turned out to cost us $6000.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:

You are living in LaLa land, my friend. Lumber has more than doubled in price in the last few years. I ended up doing the deck myself, because prices were astronomical. Materials alone for the frame and composite decking and railing were just under $10,000. Thank goodness I was able to re-use the piles, or it would have added a couple thousand more.

Very few people have the tools, the skills, or the time to do it themselves.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:51 PM
BANNED

I forgot what the point of this conversation even was lol. Either way, it seems like people either don't have the time, the ability, or money to properly landscape their homes beyond a basic lawn, if anything.

I feel like this conversation is similar to, but obviously not as important as, something like cooking. So many people can't or won't cook from scratch nowadays. Anything that is affordable is pure garbage. Our lives have basically become disposable.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
You are living in LaLa land, my friend. Lumber has more than doubled in price in the last few years. I ended up doing the deck myself, because prices were astronomical. Materials alone for the frame and composite decking and railing were just under $10,000. Thank goodness I was able to re-use the piles, or it would have added a couple thousand more.

Very few people have the tools, the skills, or the time to do it themselves.

Like I said you have a really epic deck for that cost and it is NO way representative of overall costs for landscaping. If every yard cost 100k to properly landscape there would be a lot of Landscapers ripping around in ferrari's. There is such a thing called "I'm too busy and don't want to do your work quotes" and that's clearly what it was. There are a select few people on here who seem to think Regina is the end all be all of construction costs in Canada, meanwhile it is a fraction of the Cost of BC and Toronto.

I'm keenly aware of the construction costs and the costs of lumber. The cost of lumber has NOT "doubled" over the last few years. The cost spiked considerably through July of 2020 as a result of many mills closing because of COVID. The absolute peak of lumber prices was in May of 2021 and then preceded to drop off considerably, with another spike in March of 2022 which was even then 25% off of the May 2021 Peak. Lumber is currently trading marginally higher than the 10 yr avg...in the 15%-20% over 2018 pricing.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Like I said you have a really epic deck for that cost and it is NO way representative of overall costs for landscaping. If every yard cost 100k to properly landscape there would be a lot of Landscapers ripping around in ferrari's. There is such a thing called "I'm too busy and don't want to do your work quotes" and that's clearly what it was. There are a select few people on here who seem to think Regina is the end all be all of construction costs in Canada, meanwhile it is a fraction of the Cost of BC and Toronto.

I'm keenly aware of the construction costs and the costs of lumber. The cost of lumber has NOT "doubled" over the last few years. The cost spiked considerably through July of 2020 as a result of many mills closing because of COVID. The absolute peak of lumber prices was in May of 2021 and then preceded to drop off considerably, with another spike in March of 2022 which was even then 25% off of the May 2021 Peak. Lumber is currently trading marginally higher than the 10 yr avg...in the 15%-20% over 2018 pricing.
Haha funny you say that. I know this doesn't help my argument, but I have an old friend who runs an upscale landscaping company in Regina and he bought a Corvette soon after he began, goes to Burning Man, etc. It sounds like a pretty lucrative business.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 1:05 AM

https://prairiedogmag.com/2022-10-13...ck-drops-here/

I walked past the Dunning building twice a day for years and really have a soft spot for it. My favourite building in the city. If they even suggest touching that building, or others on that block...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
https://prairiedogmag.com/2022-10-13...ck-drops-here/

I walked past the Dunning building twice a day for years and really have a soft spot for it. My favourite building in the city. If they even suggest touching that building, or others on that block...
I think this topic deserves it's own thread. Is that something someone knows how to do? Potentially a big topic.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 4:20 AM
Canadian Urbanite

This is an absolutely awful location. These buildings should not be treated as expendable. If part of the rationale of a new arena is to stimulate development, why tear down one of the blocks which actually somewhat functioning. How about redirecting this project to a block which is already vacant. I hope the community pushes back on this strongly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I think this topic deserves it's own thread. Is that something someone knows how to do? Potentially a big topic.
THREAD

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:39 PM

Updated Sask Power Head Office renovations (main floor and outside). Hope tree cells and new trees are being added to the front.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 9:47 PM

I rarely go westbound on the 13th Ave bike lane west of the Lewvan. But when I do I cross the Lewvan on the south side of the intersection. The last two times vehicles were stopped at the red light in the crosswalk. So I stopped on the other side to see what the deal was. The answer ... good paint and shitty paint.

In 2019 they moved crosswalk and stop line when they added curb ramps as seen in this November 2020 image. But they just left the old lines trusting mother nature to take care of them.

But in this 2022 image you can see the new paint is gone, but the old paint remains with the stop line past the crosswalk.

So people just use that as the stop line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan