HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 12:42 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Oh, well thats not a great sign anyways haha, I thought it would be a render or something, oh well...you could add in a picture I took of the new Moncton Fire Hall though to the 1st page, as there is no picture for that development.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I wonder why all these hotels are being built at Mapleton. I mean, the intersection of mountain and TCH has all the infrastructure, it's closer to all the big tourist attractions etc.
Good point. So The Motel 6 will be though, going to be sitting just right by the exit of TCH.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 12:46 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I wonder why all these hotels are being built at Mapleton. I mean, the intersection of mountain and TCH has all the infrastructure, it's closer to all the big tourist attractions etc.
Well that area is fairly saturated already with Holiday Inn, Amsterdam Inn, Hotel Moncton etc holding the fort...what the city is calling "the new gateway to Moncton" is the mapleton exit off the TCH which previously had no hotels...now we have:

Future Inns (4 floors complete 2006)
Hampton Inn (6 floors U/C)

and more coming

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:25 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendousmat2
now that I look at that map I realize its out of date...it doesnt have the new connecter for vaughn harvey and the new riverview ring road which BTW is 70kn/h now thank God...before it was 50 but everyone drove 80...I was just hoping evertime I was on it there were no cops cause that would be a hefty fine Im sure, altough they would prolly be going 80 too haha. Its just natural on a road like that.
Sounds like SPAR Rd in Sydney, or Alison Blvd in Freddy. Alison Blvd was upped to 70, but SPAR is still 50 and straight as an arrow until the turn to the highway. You do 75 and it feels like you're going 30.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:26 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Anyone know when the strip mall at the intersection of mountain and Evergreen was supposed to start? I used to drive by there almost every day. They put the sign up sometime last summer, but nothing seems to have been done there.
Could be delayed by a shortage of available contractors. Actually happens fairly often in periods of growth like Moncton is seeing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:26 AM
Our Tide is Rising

A bit of "colour" for the page

these are all from Mark Monday on Flickr...I thought it was a very interesting set...all pics are taken in Moncton, not all are "urban" photos, but they are all interesting and show some interesting aspects of our city

All titles are from the author.

grid work

escape

Moncton in Monotone

Passing Underpasses

Stairway to....?

Concrete and Clouds

wall crawl

one track hind

Reaching

And couple 'o pics to remind us how nice it is to finally have warmer weather!!

He Blew It

Up and Down

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:30 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
these are all from Mark Monday on Flickr
I like that one, nice angle and composition (artistically). Of course, the black and white adds a nice effect to it as well, as I doubt it would have the same effect in colour.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:36 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
I like that one, nice angle and composition (artistically). Of course, the black and white adds a nice effect to it as well, as I doubt it would have the same effect in colour.
Yeah I love that picture...Erick posted it a bit earlier I think, but I figured I would add it in here as its part of the set.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 3:02 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Is that snow, or mounds of dirt/construction?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:46 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Thought I'd post some photos of random times and places in Moncton. Two are from the airshow last summer, the other is from Jones lake, early fall the year before last:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:04 AM

Great pics Myles, Thank you

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:08 AM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 PM

About the Best Western in Salisbury... They have some of the framing up now and the foundation looks to be complete. I think they better change their sign, though, since it still says "opening May 2008". Without walls, it may be a little breezy sleeping there.

As for building hotels around Mapleton instead of Mountain rd, I think it mostly has to do with the availability of the land. There is room around Mountain rd, but not nearly as much as Mapleton and it has to be cheaper. When you think of it, it's still only 4km or so (by highway) to the tourist attractions and within walking distance to the concert site. If and when the retail development starts on the north east corner of that intersection, the hotels will make more sense.

I saw that the concrete details have started going up on the new Hampton Inn when I drove by this morning.

Oh, and there is a strong rumor that there will be a Subway built around the Big Stop in Salisbury. Some people say it will be in the Irving itself, but others say it will be its own building. If that's the case the new hotel, RV centre, and Subway is a lot of construction in a small area! They're doubling the size of the 1-year-old farmer's market along there too.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 1:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
About the Best Western in Salisbury... They have some of the framing up now and the foundation looks to be complete. I think they better change their sign, though, since it still says "opening May 2008". Without walls, it may be a little breezy sleeping there.

As for building hotels around Mapleton instead of Mountain rd, I think it mostly has to do with the availability of the land. There is room around Mountain rd, but not nearly as much as Mapleton and it has to be cheaper. When you think of it, it's still only 4km or so (by highway) to the tourist attractions and within walking distance to the concert site. If and when the retail development starts on the north east corner of that intersection, the hotels will make more sense.

I saw that the concrete details have started going up on the new Hampton Inn when I drove by this morning.

Oh, and there is a strong rumor that there will be a Subway built around the Big Stop in Salisbury. Some people say it will be in the Irving itself, but others say it will be its own building. If that's the case the new hotel, RV centre, and Subway is a lot of construction in a small area! They're doubling the size of the 1-year-old farmer's market along there too.
I heard a rumour that a 400 unit subdivision was in the works for some farm land between the big stop and the village. Any idea if that's true?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:01 PM

Yes, there is a massive subdivision going in between The highway and Hilltop subdivision off of Fredericton rd. They have been clearing the land for over a year now. Some of the streets have been started along with power lines and sewer hookups. There hasn't been much activity lately, but it looks like some houses could be started this year.

I didn't want to mention this on the forum, since it's just more "suburban sprawl". It will probably almost double the population in the area, if the 400 unit number is true.

I'd put up a graphic showing the area, but I have no clue how to do it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 3:01 PM

Dieppe Council to hold last meeting before election
Published Monday April 28th, 2008
A5

Financial matters will figure prominently when Dieppe City Council meets in regular session tonight.

The city's audited financial statements for 2007 will be presented to council by the city's auditors. As well, some budget transfers will be on the agenda.

Council will discuss amendments to their memorandum of agreement for the development of the downtown, as well as amendments to the development agreement it has with Concorde Atlantic, which is developing the city's uptown area, including construction of a controversial new aquatic centre.

Modifications to Dieppe's five-year capital plan, a document which guides capital works projects in the city until 2010, will also come up for discussion.

Other money matters on the agenda include awarding tenders for new pumps for the airport pumping station, the installation of water and sanitary sewer services at one section of Bourque Road, construction of a new water transmission line in the Harrisville area and a tender award for more work at the new aquatic and sports centre.

Among other matters on the agenda, a motion is expected to cancel the May 12 council meeting, as it falls on election day, which would make tonight's meeting the last of the current council.

The meeting gets underway at 6 p.m. with a public hearing on the city's bid to close portions of Dieppe Boulevard, Aquatique Street and Sifroi Court, though the closures refer only to pieces of land that don't actually have any parts of those streets on them, but is land that was set aside to accommodate the streets should that land be needed.

They are small parcels of land, but big enough that a developer could be able to use them so the lands will likely be sold.

Simultaneous translation will be available at the meeting and everyone is invited to attend.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:13 PM

French Only

Douanes

Les aéroports haussent le ton

Mise à jour le lundi 28 avril 2008, 10 h 40 .

Les aéroports régionaux au pays relancent Ottawa au sujet des services de douanes.

Depuis des années, ces aéroports exigent que le fédéral offre gratuitement les services de douanes en soirée et la nuit, comme c'est le cas dans les huit plus grands aéroports du pays.

Dans les autres aéroports, les transporteurs dont les vols ont lieu en soirée ou pendant la nuit doivent payer eux-mêmes les douaniers.

Ces coûts sont importants, souligne Johanne Gallant, directrice du développement commercial à l'Aéroport international du Grand Moncton. « Ça peut varier entre 100 000 $ à 200 000 $ par année, dépendant du nombre de vols et des heures des vols », précise-t-elle.

Récemment, le transporteur Continental a abandonné son projet d'établir une deuxième liaison entre Moncton et New York en raison de ces frais de douanes.

Aéroport

Les aéroports touchés espéraient que le budget fédéral leur apporterait de bonnes nouvelles, mais ce ne fut pas le cas. Ils ont formé un comité pour décider de leurs prochaines actions.

Le président et chef de la direction de l'aéroport du Grand Fredericton, David Innes, indique que le recours aux tribunaux n'est pas encore une option, mais que le comité ne l'écarte pas non plus.

Le ministre de la Sécurité publique, Stockwell Day, rencontrera cette semaine des représentants des aéroports. Après avoir attendu des années pour régler ce problème, ces derniers commencent à manquer de patience.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...dericton.shtml

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:02 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I figured Id add onto the above images with a picture I took yesterday of Monctons "other skyline" haha...at least from this angle its seperated from the rest.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:03 PM
Our Tide is Rising

So what are they saying in that article Erick? Just the usual complaining about the customs thing?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 7:04 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Oh and PS Myles they took the sign down for that nice looking strip mall we were talking about last night...I drove by last night at 1am on my way to my g/fs place, and it was gone...just two poles left Oh well, one goes down 3 new ones come up...a fair trade! haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces