HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:13 AM
Never Dell

A generational identity doesn't have to correspond to rise/decrease in the size of an age cohort. "Millennial" refers to social concepts only (or someone's idea of them).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurban View Post
Anyone know how the terracotta tiles are affixed to the building and how they keep moisture from getting between them?
They've been doing regular constructions blogs. Here's one about the tiles: http://thecoloradan.com/blog/the-col...cotta-journey/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
A generational identity doesn't have to correspond to rise/decrease in the size of an age cohort. "Millennial" refers to social concepts only (or someone's idea of them).
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
That's a really poor way to think(common nonsense). Of course someone in 1985 shares things in common with someone born in 1995 as they do with people born in 1975. By being arbitrary about it the category becomes useless, pointless. Tying a generation to the height of births is useful. As those people age and do the things that people of a certain age do the corresponding years down the line from peak births of that generation are likely to be peaks for that activity. Further if we're talking about shared social concepts then who your parents and Grandparents were matters. For instance did your grandfather fight in World War II or protest the Vietnam War?

The rise and fall of a generation is exactly how we should categorize Generations. Anything other than that is arbitrary, silly, meaningless.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:20 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the Denver Performing Arts plan to build all those towers and redo everything ? or has that gone cold...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:40 PM

^ I think that's been put on the back burner for now.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 1:28 AM

According to the Denver Post Tony P's at 17th and Clarkson closed in part because the owner are redeveloping the lot. The same owners have all the buildings on that corner (Beast+Bottle and some other buildings) and word is the corner will go full demo for a mixed used development. A little sad as the two blocks west are parking lots and a car wash (two of which are for sale!).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:09 AM

I saw part of Block 162 taped off with construction vehicles on site. It seems that they might break ground soon.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
According to the Denver Post Tony P's at 17th and Clarkson closed in part because the owner are redeveloping the lot. The same owners have all the buildings on that corner (Beast+Bottle and some other buildings) and word is the corner will go full demo for a mixed used development. A little sad as the two blocks west are parking lots and a car wash (two of which are for sale!).

That really sucks. Those are real character adding buildings on 17th Street.

I hope something classy gets built, but not optimistic. Please don't replace the funky look of those buildings with some generic Denver-FUGLY, Hartley-Flats like monstrosity.

Meanwhile that ugly-assed carwash remains.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Jan 29, 2018 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:

I ran this through Google Translate and Google is stumped.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
That's the worse news I've heard all year; that's just sad, sickening. 17th Ave is awesome just as it is.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:36 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post

I hope something classy gets built, but not optimistic. Please don't replace the funky look of those buildings with some generic Denver-FUGLY, Hartley-Flats like monstrosity.
It appears that the landowner is NAI Shames Makovsky. They get a huge bonus for pulling off the Sage Building and Block 162. I wonder what they have in mind for the site?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It appears that the landowner is NAI Shames Makovsky. They get a huge bonus for pulling off the Sage Building and Block 162. I wonder what they have in mind for the site?
Agree; in fact that comes as a sigh of relief. I'd even suggest that the notion of "for redevelopment" may be just a guess and for now very premature.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Agree; in fact that comes as a sigh of relief. I'd even suggest that the notion of "for redevelopment" may be just a guess and for now very premature.
The Shames guys are smart enough to know that this market cycle is about wrapped. If they're moving to demo right now for another land barge, they're going to be parking lot owners for the forseeable future AND they're going to draw down the ire of all of Capitol Hill while they're at it.

How would a full scrape on this lot even pencil out? It's 1/4 the size of all the other available lots in Capitol Hill. Not to mention the fact that Southern Land Co. seems to be stalling getting their 320 units to come out of the ground less than four blocks away.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt. View Post
The Shames guys are smart enough to know that this market cycle is about wrapped. If they're moving to demo right now for another land barge, they're going to be parking lot owners for the forseeable future AND they're going to draw down the ire of all of Capitol Hill while they're at it.

How would a full scrape on this lot even pencil out? It's 1/4 the size of all the other available lots in Capitol Hill. Not to mention the fact that Southern Land Co. seems to be stalling getting their 320 units to come out of the ground less than four blocks away.
Makes sense; in fact it also occurred to me that these lots may have been acquired via a tax-deferred exchange. Also I had wondered recently about Southern Land's project so that's interesting. Also, Southern Land may have had one of the recently completed projects that Ken recently mentioned in LoHi where leaseup is going slowly, apparently.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt. View Post

I agree it doesnt seem like the most logical move -- but I heard these rumors even before the article ran where Pasquinis said the owner was redeveloping. I guess we will see -- there is an empty lot in the portfolio and some empty space behind Beast and Bottle so I can see the argument the property is being underutilized and there could be some interesting opportunities to integrate some of the existing buildings. But you sure would rather see the parking lot next door get developed. Cycle is probably coming to an end -- but Uptown also really only picked up on the back end of this cycle with only 3 large projects completed in this cycle (Alexan, One City Block and Colorado Health Foundation) but a good 8-9 under construction or close to breaking ground. So I think there is a renewed interest in the neighborhood as LoHi has basically filled in completely.

Southern Land broke ground on the 17th and Pearl project a couple months ago BTW.

Last edited by Robert.hampton; Jan 29, 2018 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Makes sense; in fact it also occurred to me that these lots may have been acquired via a tax-deferred exchange. Also I had wondered recently about Southern Land's project so that's interesting. Also, Southern Land may have had one of the projects complete that Ken recently mentioned in LoHi where leaseup is going slowly, apparently.
Southern Land is actually ahead of projections on their leases in LoHi and one of the buildings wont even be finished until next month: http://southernland.com/2017/12/20/s...-centric-lohi/

Last edited by Robert.hampton; Jan 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Southern Land is actually ahead of projections on their leases in LoHi and one of the buildings wont even be finished until next month: http://southernland.com/2017/12/20/s...-centric-lohi/
So far so good then. Couple of things.

Good grief, they've only been open officially for one month during the slowest time of the year for leasing. Usually leasing picks up with the temps in Spring. First, it doesn't surprise that they would have a nice number of early bird pre-lease move-ins. Second, a new complex needs 6-9 months to get a better handle on how well it's leasing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:34 AM

Woot Woot

Denver City Council moving forward with Colorado Convention Center expansion
Jan 30, 2018 by By Ed Sealover – Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Expansion of the Colorado Convention Center took its first big step Tuesday, as a Denver City Council committee set the stage for approval of more than $21 million in contracts for the two private firms that will be overseeing the three-year construction process.
Who, who, I'm an owl.
Quote:
Members of the council’s Land Use, Transportation and Infrastructure Committee voted without objection Tuesday to recommend the full council approve a $12.45 million, three-year contract for Fentress Architects and a three-year, $9 million contract for Trammel Crow Company to fill those two roles.
What will this mean for Denver?
Quote:
Visit Denver President/CEO Richard Scharf noted that the 2-million-square-foot building already generates between $500 million and $600 million a year because of the number of visitors that attend events there while spending money at hotels, restaurants and other locations in the city. He estimated that the addition would produce an extra $85 million a year in impact by being able to bring in larger shows that don’t now come to the Mile High City — and by offering organizations the chance to hold part of their event on a terrace with 150-mile-long view of the Rocky Mountains.
Okay, you tweeters you have three years to get ready.
Quote:
“I hope that will be Tweeted throughout the world when people stand up there,” he said.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 4:53 PM

Well it looks like with the road clearing up for for 1615 and 1700 Platte, they're going to start on the removal for the Vitamin Cottage on 15th. Here's to more congestion on Platte.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West