HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:23 PM

Should be cool, I may try to go depending on prices. I never realized the proposed course was the one next to the bridge.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And there might still be one at the airport. I can't remember.

I couldn't remember, either so I just went and looked.

That one's been taken down.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:21 PM

So White Lodging has recently produced J.W. Marriott, the downtown Westin, and Hyatt place. They also look to be moving forward with their Aloft/element highrise. So when they said they would be announcing three more Austin projects this spring are we to assume these will also be significant highrise projects. I know there's been speculation about Dream Hotel coming to Austin, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what lots these White Lodging proposals will be built on. What parcels do they currently own downtown?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:24 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
We don't know yet. There's not just speculation about the Dream Hotel, but credible signaling from their own website. Given that brand's vibe, I'd assume it'll be West End area.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:45 PM

The Dream Hotel brand is mostly just a dream in the making (or not). They appear to operate two properties in NYC, one in Miami Beach, and a couple of hotels in the Far East. All of the other US locations are "planned". They are probably going ahead with a problem plagued small hotel in LA at the corner of Selma and Cahuenga in Hollywood using what is described in Curbed LA as "immigrant based financing", meaning they attract foreign money with the promise of resident visas in return. The Selma and Cahuenga location is kind of jaw dropping to anybody who is familiar with the history of that formerly notorious corner in Hollywood lore. Anyway, I guess my point is that the Dream brand is not well established, seems to rely on dubious methods to raise capital, and may not ever make good on its plans to open properties in SF, Chicago, Austin, etc. Time will tell.

Last edited by austlar1; May 8, 2015 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:02 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The Dream Hotel brand is mostly just a dream in the making (or not). They appear to operate two properties in NYC, one in Miami Beach, and a couple of hotels in the Far East. All of the other US locations are "planned". They are probably going ahead with a problem plagued small hotel in LA at the corner of Selma and Cahuenga in Hollywood using what is described in Curbed LA as "immigrant based financing", meaning they attract foreign money with the promise of resident visas in return. The Selma and Cahuenga location is kind of jaw dropping to anybody who is familiar with the history of that formerly notorious corner in Hollywood lore. Anyway, I guess my point is that the Dream brand is not well established, seems to rely on dubious methods to raise capital, and may not ever make good on its plans to open properties in SF, Chicago, Austin, etc. Time will tell.
Fair.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Fair.
Well, then there is this tidbit from a year or so ago regarding the person who appears to be "The Man With The Dream". http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/04/vi...ne-heroin.html

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Well, then there is this tidbit from a year or so ago regarding the person who appears to be "The Man With The Dream". http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/04/vi...ne-heroin.html
So then the question becomes... do we want this brand here assuming (which is... perhaps a stretch) it's credible?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
So then the question becomes... do we want this brand here assuming (which is... perhaps a stretch) it's credible?
I think this guy is losing control of his real estate empire for unknown reasons. The ownership of the Dream brand may not reside with him. I suspect the brand is pretty much a franchise that is available to a variety of investors who want to create a hotel property. It remains to be seen whether Dream Hotels as a brand has any staying power. The Chelsea location in NYC has a lot of celebrity guests, a happening roof deck night club, and is located in a kind of iconic building with big round porthole like windows. It is enjoying its 15 minutes of hotel fame. I guess Austin could use a place with a similar vibe. We should be flattered that we are on the list of cities with planned hotels. It is a pretty big league list of US cities.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 3:33 AM

Here's a permit filing from Friday for a tower crane installation for the vertical expansion of St David's on 32nd St:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11347315

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 4:00 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Here's a permit filing from Friday for a tower crane installation for the vertical expansion of St David's on 32nd St:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11347315
This FAA filing says the building will be 97 feet. Does anyone know if this is a totally new structure, or just some floors being added? I'm guessing it's the latter.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...44647856&row=7

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This FAA filing says the building will be 97 feet. Does anyone know if this is a totally new structure, or just some floors being added? I'm guessing it's the latter.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...44647856&row=7
It's the latter. The building was designed for floor(s) to be added later per one of the attachments.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:43 PM

View from my office. 7th and Lavaca. Forgot what project this is.

Last edited by Syndic; May 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 4:30 PM

Damn! There must be some heavy rain downtown 'cause I don't see a thing.

Here's a link to your photo.

The project is UT Administration Bldg.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:46 PM

There's a new development happening at 211 West Johanna Street called J. Bouldin Residences, with a church conversion and addition of flats and townhomes. You can follow the development and stay up to date with the progress here: http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/j-bouldin-residences

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBuzzEva View Post
There's a new development happening at 211 West Johanna Street called J. Bouldin Residences, with a church conversion and addition of flats and townhomes. You can follow the development and stay up to date with the progress here: http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/j-bouldin-residences
I've added this to the development map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...s.kFyc1SOGTRGA

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
View from my office. 7th and Lavaca. Forgot what project this is.

Ha your south across 7th street from me. Value your view of the capital as its going away.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 6:18 AM

2822 Rio Grande: Small apartment building in West Campus geared towards student-housing.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 11:01 AM

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:39 PM

green water treatment plant redevelopment:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin