HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 6:27 PM

Is Al Burj still pretty hush hush? I haven't heard much about that one in some time.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 7:08 PM

some renderings on the first page would be sweet

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 9:19 PM
Information Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
Mmm, not so sure. I think the Al Burj will give this one a run for its money. It could easily reach a kilometer tall. It probably will too if Nakheel get their way......which they normally do. Got a feeling they will want to challenge the WTB when they know what height they have to beat!
EMAAR know this, so is probably the biggest driving force for them to go taller now.

Only in Dubai!
Cool! so, the Al Burj can be the next WTB?
The competition makes the buildings taller and taller.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Al Burj better be at least decent looking, if not, I'll be pretty annoyed, anyone can build a huge structure, but very few can make a graceful, economic, efficiant, and tall building. Malec has a point a 1001 meter cuboid would look like shit and ruin the skyline!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance
I haven't been real happy with this building. There's nothing real special about it, save its height. "World's Tallest" is great, but that title will eventually be lost. Especailly since we havent seen any facing, I feel like this building is just mediocrity on a grand scale...nothing like what made Burj al Arab a great building.
i'm sure the architects are sorry that they couldn't make it look like the refridgerator boxes the skyscrapers in the USA have been. personally, i love the way this thing looks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 10:49 PM
BANNED

I'm not too happy with it either.

The setbacks appear way too random and numerous. The developers couldn't settle on a final height - and it shows. It's pretty damn tall though, and will deserve some respect for its audacity and the technological accomplishment. I don't think there's any other place on the globe right now where such a building could be constructed. Perhaps we should be grateful. How it will work for the people who use it remains to be seen. Is it possible to build too tall? This one is getting us closer to the answer, "yes".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
Al Burj better be at least decent looking, if not, I'll be pretty annoyed, anyone can build a huge structure, but very few can make a graceful, economic, efficiant, and tall building. Malec has a point a 1001 meter cuboid would look like shit and ruin the skyline!
Al Burj is not so decent looking, it certainly doesn't deserve the title over burj dubai. Al Burj is actually made up of 3 towers connected at various points such as the 6 skylobbies. It's also hollow and will be lit up from the inside so should look great at night. In the day however, it's a giant concrete monolith.
I believe Nakheel have such a big ego (just look at their other projects) that they'd build this even if dubai's property market crashes before then. That's of course if they survive until then.

The latest news on al burj is this:

Contractors jockey for Burj Dubai rival tower scheme
CONSTRUCTION UAE
27 Oct 2006

Local real estate developer Nakheel has selected contractors to work on pre-construction agreements for its Al-Burj project. The tower will form the centrepiece of the first phase of the Dubai Waterfront development and is expected to be one of the tallest in the world. It may even challenge the 800-metre-plus Burj Dubai scheme being developed by the local Emaar Properties . In December last year, Nakheel confirmed that the tower will be at least 700 metres tall (MEED 9:12:05).

Companies working on preconstruction agreements, which involve value engineering and construction planning, include South Korea’s Samsung Corporation , Japan’s Shimizu Corporation and Australia’s Grocon . A US team of Pei Partnership Architects (PPA) and Axis Design Group (ADG) completed the preliminary designs for the tower late last year.

The pre-construction agreements are the latest sign of contract activity at Dubai Waterfront. In September, the joint venture of the local APCC with Vibro Foundation , a wholly-owned subsidiary of France’s Soletanche Bachy , was awarded a ground improvement contract for Palm Jebel Ali, which has been incorporated into the Dubai Waterfront development, and the local Ghantoot Transport & General Contracting was awarded the phase 1 earthmoving contract for phase 1 of Dubai Waterfront. Belgium’s Jan De Nul began working on the dredging package for Dubai Waterfront in July and is close to completing the reclamation and rock placement works for Palm Jebel Ali (MEED 22:9:06).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 12:54 AM

"2,650' Pinnacle, 1,885' Roof / 162 Storeys " ? ok 1st the roof isnt 1,885'.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 3:53 AM
BANNED

At this point without the spire, you can look at the height as top of main structure which includes the steel section above the concrete. By Culwulla's diagram BD to "roof" reaches 740m.

I do believe that eventually Al Burj will surpass BD in height. This building will go for the big 1km and then some. Al Burj will probably reach BD's final height to it's roof and then get the spire(s) going. It will be some time however that Al Burj surpasses Burj Dubai. BD will enjoy it's reign for at least five years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 4:50 AM
Guess Who's Back?

I agree. Not only do I think the B.D will exceed 850m in height, but Nakheel certainly have the ordasity and desire to be number one at any cost.

I would put money on this undeveloped spot to challenge the B.D. to the WTB title unless EMAAR does something realy silly and aim for the 1km mark themselves.....which I doubt very much!

I.M.O, Al Burj however has much more scope for more height because of its footprint width and 3 connected tower design.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 5:34 AM

progress

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:35 AM
Heavy User

^Thanks for that. That does an amazing job of putting it in persepctive. It's amazing that the skeleton looks tall enough as it is and to think there is sooo much left to go.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:38 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^^ Amazing photo, holy mother of god that thing is going to be tall.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 10:26 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The picture of the actual tower under construction should be bigger since the mechanical floors don't line up

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 4:24 PM

heh as for the al burj, i think it gonna push the burj dubai past its official height by quite a way. and then nakheel is just gonna throw money at the al burj till that beats it, he wont want to build a building on that scale and cost unless its the biggest.... and to be honest i think the al burj is far more elegant than the burj dubai

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 4:35 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury
The CN tower has held the record for 30 some years ... This will hold it for a long time too.
One apparently forgets the difference between a true-blooded building and a ball on a stick. I'm sorry, but I could care less about what the world's tallest man-made structure is. I care about the worlds tallest functional building.

As there are many more cities that are capable of massive developments, the title will shift more rapidly. Especially since spire count, its very easy to shove a little stick on top and claim worlds tallest.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:43 PM
Proudly Canadian

And I, on the other hand, could care less about the WTB record. The World's Tallest Structure record is the big one - even if it is a needle at the top. I hope they stretch it to the limit !!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:55 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

But it has no functional significance. I personally take more interest in buildings that combine form and function. Spires can work artistically, but they can also simply be a worthless tool to raise the "official height"

Regardless, unless the skyscraper market cools down, a taller building will be built. The US seemingly won't be in competition again, because of the 2000 ft cap. However, I can easily see Dubai, Hong Kong, or Beijing building a structure taller than BD in the next ten years. Technically, Dubai already has one in the works.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 8:23 PM
Proudly Canadian

Your right - and the 1001 m proposal in Kawait. I agree with the fuctional building thing - and this structure has that. This is also the first structure that will be taller than guyed masts so even if it as thin as a mast it is still the tallest manmade point on earth Higher = Better

A couple of new (old) shots

06 09 23

06 11 24

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 9:38 PM

when you look at those photos and then look at the progress render you think, wooooooaaaaaaaah shit thats big on a stick

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive