HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBadger View Post
jsbrook: summersm gave you the January 2015 start date back on 11/22/14. Please see his post to you #167.
Thanks. Missed the demo part of that. Hopefully still January! We'll see soon.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 10:36 PM

More concrete timeline?

http://www.phillychitchat.com/2015/0...rnational.html

Well to answer the question that we have all been asking for so long, there will apparently be a "demolition party" on the 26th, with an official groundbreaking in August. Dranoff is sure testing our patience with this one. It better be worth it

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post

Well to answer the question that we have all been asking for so long, there will apparently be a "demolition party" on the 26th, with an official groundbreaking in August. Dranoff is sure testing our patience with this one. It better be worth it
Why such a long time between demo and groundbreaking?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Why such a long time between demo and groundbreaking?
Probably because heavy demolition and site prep won't be happening until the Spring. February isn't the most conducive to work, not to mention that two large buildings need to come down and a small street will be removed from the grid. Add the proximity of a major thoroughfare and neighboring buildings to the mix, and it's probably best that demo for this project be slow, yet safe. At least we know that this project will continue to move forward!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post

Woot! It's dragging, but I'm still very happy to see a set date announced publicly. Looking forward to at least the beginning of demolition.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 12:48 AM
Philly Rising Up!

6 months from demolition to groundbreaking? What gives...?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
6 months from demolition to groundbreaking? What gives...?
My guess is that, due to the large old masonry structures, demolition is going to take a few months, followed by several months of additional site prep.

Perhaps Dranoff takes a 2 month vacation every June/July to the south of France and the groundbreaking will be more of a party once there's already a massive hole in the ground.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
My guess is that, due to the large old masonry structures, demolition is going to take a few months, followed by several months of additional site prep.

Perhaps Dranoff takes a 2 month vacation every June/July to the south of France and the groundbreaking will be more of a party once there's already a massive hole in the ground.
There have been projects where the ceremonial groundbreaking comes well after demo and foundation work actually starts. Or maybe it will be like 1919 market and skip groundbreaking ceremony altogether. Same with CTIC. East Market had one but it was so early that there was no dirt, no equipment on site and no signs of any disturbance to the site at the time.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
There have been projects where the ceremonial groundbreaking comes well after demo and foundation work actually starts. Or maybe it will be like 1919 market and skip groundbreaking ceremony altogether. Same with CTIC. East Market had one but it was so early that there was no dirt, no equipment on site and no signs of any disturbance to the site at the time.
I def. think this eventually has a groundbreaking ceremony. They are going to want publicity for an SLS hotel. Its a pretty big project on Broad and will be coming at a time where the city needs more Hotel space.

I agree that it takes place well after demo. Late Summer, early fall?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I def. think this eventually has a groundbreaking ceremony. They are going to want publicity for an SLS hotel. Its a pretty big project on Broad and will be coming at a time where the city needs more Hotel space.

I agree that it takes place well after demo. Late Summer, early fall?
Demolition party is pushed. To "late winter."

Not surprised. I had a feeling this would be pushed. Groundbreaking stated to still be August 2015. I hope it sticks and we've seen the last delay.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:32 PM

It looks like there is a construction trailer on site and construction permits were posted.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 1:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It looks like there is a construction trailer on site and construction permits were posted.
Good. Will have to check L&I site soon to see if anything new has been issued.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 3:33 PM

FWIW, this project is listed on SLS's home page: http://slshotels.com/ But on the other hand, it still shows this tower as opening in 2016, which is of course impossible if ground breaking is scheduled for August. Interestingly enough, I did some digging. The Seattle SLS, which is also slated to open in 2016, appears to be full steam ahead. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=146330&page=7 It's a very beautiful tower!

If I can start a little discussion here for shits and giggles, if you had to choose ONE mixed use hotel project that ends up getting built, would it be SLS or the Element/W on Chestnut?* I think I'd go with SLS. Both have really nice designs and are about equal in height (W is 582 vs SLS is 590). But SLS's location means a bigger impact on the skyline.

*I'm not at all implying that we only have enough demand for one of these two - I don't really know the answer to that but I am hopeful both are built.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

If I can start a little discussion here for shits and giggles, if you had to choose ONE mixed use hotel project that ends up getting built, would it be SLS or the Element/W on Chestnut?* I think I'd go with SLS. Both have really nice designs and are about equal in height (W is 582 vs SLS is 590). But SLS's location means a bigger impact on the skyline.

*I'm not at all implying that we only have enough demand for one of these two - I don't really know the answer to that but I am hopeful both are built.
Commenting solely on aesthetics, I like the way this one looks more than the W. The W has an interesting design with the cubed roof, I just really like the tower and podium on the SLS; very sleek and modern.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:07 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
FWIW, this project is listed on SLS's home page: http://slshotels.com/ But on the other hand, it still shows this tower as opening in 2016, which is of course impossible if ground breaking is scheduled for August. Interestingly enough, I did some digging. The Seattle SLS, which is also slated to open in 2016, appears to be full steam ahead. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=146330&page=7 It's a very beautiful tower!

I too would prefer the SLS over the W for the reasons you mentioned above. Although I really would like to see both built, if we had to pick one, you nailed it.

Plus, out of all of the proposals we've seen lately, my favorite three are CITC, FMC and SLS. I am really hoping this gets built at least as nice as the current renderings show. After these three, then I would put the W and the Mormon tower.

Fun times in Philadelphia people, fun times.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:43 PM
BANNED

i dont see any new permits listed on l&I site, just the same zoning and demo permits that were issued months ago. Maybe they are posted because demo is going to start soon.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I too would prefer the SLS over the W for the reasons you mentioned above. Although I really would like to see both built, if we had to pick one, you nailed it.

Plus, out of all of the proposals we've seen lately, my favorite three are CITC, FMC and SLS. I am really hoping this gets built at least as nice as the current renderings show. After these three, then I would put the W and the Mormon tower.

Fun times in Philadelphia people, fun times.
On the fence between SLS and W. SLS will make a bigger impact on the skyline, but I think the W is a more meaningful location to change the fabric of the surrounding area in that spot. Only by a little bit, though. I want SLS and the W. And that Hudson hotel not at 17th and Chandler but at 15th and Samson across from Rumor. I am greedy.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
On the fence between SLS and W. SLS will make a bigger impact on the skyline, but I think the W is a more meaningful location to change the fabric of the surrounding area in that spot. Only by a little bit, though. I want SLS and the W. And that Hudson hotel not at 17th and Chandler but at 15th and Samson across from Rumor. I am greedy.
What I love about SLS, other than it's sleek facade, is that it moves the skyline south a bit. Stretch it outttt.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
i dont see any new permits listed on l&I site, just the same zoning and demo permits that were issued months ago. Maybe they are posted because demo is going to start soon.
Definitely not a zoning notice. Couldnt be a demo notice because they're Orange. I guess it's just permits posted for the demo work. Wasn't able to read it since I was going by quickly and was on the other side of the street but something is posted.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Definitely not a zoning notice. Couldnt be a demo notice because they're Orange. I guess it's just permits posted for the demo work. Wasn't able to read it since I was going by quickly and was on the other side of the street but something is posted.
Regular permits are on white paper. If its orange is could be a notice of demolition or zoning notice- if its new than obviously its not pertaining to zoning so its a sign the buidling is about to come down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive