Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:01 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Bay Area will be nation’s coolest housing market in 2020, survey says

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral
Unfortunately, it looks like the opposite will be the case

"...In a stunning rebound, Bay Area home sales jumped 69.2% from May to June, and prices rose 3.6%. The median price rose to $1 million, up 3.6% from May and 4.2% higher year over year..."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-15413833.php

We need to get real with the housing crisis. Million-dollar median prices for 6 million people is unsustainable and makes us Manhattan the metro, only the rich and the poor who serve them

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like the opposite will be the case

"...In a stunning rebound, Bay Area home sales jumped 69.2% from May to June, and prices rose 3.6%. The median price rose to $1 million, up 3.6% from May and 4.2% higher year over year..."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-15413833.php

We need to get real with the housing crisis. Million-dollar median prices for 6 million people is unsustainable and makes us Manhattan the metro, only the rich and the poor who serve them
People with the means are buying a lot of real estate now.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 5:02 PM
Pay it Forward

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
People with the means are buying a lot of real estate now.
Ugh...my beautiful Oakland is being invaded. Id rather we stayed hood tbh.

National Association of Realtors
Median Sale Price, June 2020

$1,600,000 San Francisco, CA
$1,100,000 San Jose, CA
$933,000 Oakland, CA YIKES
$837,000 Brooklyn, NY
$820,000 Manhattan, NY

$759,000 Los Angeles, CA
$732,000 Seattle, WA
$664,000 Boston, MA
$649,000 San Diego, CA
$645,000 New York, NY
$644,000 Washington, DC
$602,000 Queens, NY
$590,000 Staten Island, NY

Bronx, NY $482,000
$468,000 Portland, OR
$346,000 Miami, FL
$305,000 Atlanta, GA
$299,000 Phoenix, AZ

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
As someone who has lived in both San Francisco and Oakland, I can without hesitation say you would have to be bat sh*t crazy to want to live in either city at those prices if New York City is an option.

No comparison whatsoever - overrated is an understatement.

Having also lived in L.A., though, that price seems reasonable relative to the others based on my experience.
It's partly a question of what you get for the money--I'd rather see a listing of price per square foot. Too many Manhattan apartments are pigmy-sized whereas most in the Bay Area are reasonable if smallish.

Where people want to live is also a question of personal choice based on many things. I grew up on the east coast (Washington DC and suburbs) and I would NOT want to live anywhere in that megalopolis. I used to hate the slushy winters and muggy, insufferable summers. When I was growing up, there were nice places to escape the traffic and over-crowded rat-like hostility, but probably even those places are either crowded or overrun with the overpaid by now. In San Francisco, I can be in the truly rural contryside or on the beautiful, undeveloped CA coast in minutes (and there's little chance of it being ruined because most of it is parkland or protected from develoopment by deed).

So while you crank up your NYC air-condtioner, I'll just open the windows for some pure sea air and try to think of a reason to live anywhere else (I could--but in several decades I haven't thought of why I would).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Ugh...my beautiful Oakland is being invaded. Id rather we stayed hood tbh.
There's nothing like the smell of tear gas in the morning!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:24 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
As someone who has lived in both San Francisco and Oakland, I can without hesitation say you would have to be bat sh*t crazy to want to live in either city at those prices if New York City is an option.
Haha Why? Ive lived in Manhattan and in NJ and I usually travel to or through New York several times a year, it's great, but not nearly as livable as livable as the Bay Area imo. To each his own. No need to say buffoonish things over home prices. It's not that serious.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:25 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There's nothing like the smell of tear gas in the morning!
Tear gas and weed...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 1:30 AM
The New Republic

CBRE recently released their big annual 'Tech Talent' report. They look at the 50 biggest tech eco-systems in Canada/US and score/rank them by a multitude of metrics but also give an overall score/ranking. DC leapfrogged both Toronto and Seattle to land in 2nd spot behind the San Francisco Bay Area. Seattle dropped one spot to 3rd, Toronto dropped one spot to 4th. The report cited the Amazon win by Washington as the reason. Some key points from the 2020 Report:

- The US has 5.4 million tech jobs accounting for 3.7% of all US workers
- Canada has 900,000 tech jobs accounting for 5.6% of all Canadian workers
- The Bay Area and Toronto had the most 'Brain Gain' with +51,958 and +42,817 tech job gains respectively
- Vancouver and Seattle were next with +15,507 and +11,739 respectively
- Ottawa ranked #1 by tech worker concentration representing 11.3% of Ottawa's workforce
- The Bay Area was 2nd with tech workers representing 10.5% of all Bay Area workers

CBRE Top 20 Tech Hubs Canada/US

1. The Bay Area: 82.56
2. Washington DC: 67.39
3. Seattle: 66.36

4. Toronto: 64.34
5. New York: 64.01

6. Austin: 60.30
7. Denver: 59.89
8. Boston: 59.61
9. Atlanta: 58.78
10. Raleigh-Durham: 56.29

11. Baltimore: 56.11
12. Vancouver: 55.76
13. Dallas-Ft. Worth: 55.70
14. Ottawa: 55.15
15. Salt Lake City: 53.54

16. Montreal: 53.02
17. Minneapolis: 51.72
18. Phoenix: 51.69
19. San Diego: 51.08
20. Portland: 50.48

On the Canadian front:. Vancouver maintained its 12th spot, Ottawa jumped 5 spots to 14th, while Montreal dropped 3 spots to 16th. So that's 4 Canadian tech hubs in the Top 16. That's an extremely strong showing considering the US is 9 times our size. Calgary is a newcomer to the Top 50 and landed in 34th. Waterloo is considered a separate tech hub by CBRE and just missed the cut off. They were ranked #1 in the list of 'Next 25 Emerging Tech Hubs. Quebec City was in 6th, Edmonton in 9th, Halifax in 12th, and Winnipeg in 22nd spot. Hopefully some of these hubs can land in the Top 50 next year.

https://www.cbre.us/research-and-rep...h-America-2020
http://cbre.vo.llnwd.net/grgservices...8552569b3c5a5a

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 26, 2020 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 1:09 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Where do I begin?

For starters, I didn't find San Francisco to be diverse at all. NYC is literally the world's primary melting pot, London aside. On many occasion I've walked through Manhattan without hearing a single person speak English for blocks. You may not appreciate that, but I do.
Well since I speak 6 languages fluently and have lived and worked on every continent except Antarctica, youre probably right-but the Bay Area has no racial majority and achieved that status long before the NY Tri-State so your diversity play might work on other cities but we've been 'diverse' since the Gold Rush so...and the Bay Area has a nearly 80-mile corridor of minority majority cities nonstop from Fairfield to San Jose. You talk about diversity for blocks, our diversity traverses entire area codes, counties and adjoining metro areas-and our rate of foreign born residents is the same as NY-NNJ, about 30%.

Quote:
And the intangibles - better restaurants, music, shopping / fashion, nightlife, arts + culture, transit, conversation (with locals and tourists)
Haha The Bay Area has the most 3-star rated Michelin restaurants in the country so you can chillax with any food snobbery-YAWNS. The food here is on point. Sorry.

The Bay Area lacks nothing in any of your other criteria either so no.

Quote:
[way] better looking women -
Well, Im gay so...

Quote:
I can appreciate the scenery, but it wouldn't factor into a decision to live there.
Good for you, but I refuse to live in a tundra that turns into a sauna over and over again, and that's what the climate there feels like compared to here imo.

Quote:
So yeah, to each their own.
You dont say?
Lol

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So while you crank up your NYC air-condtioner, I'll just open the windows for some pure sea air and try to think of a reason to live anywhere else (I could--but in several decades I haven't thought of why I would).
Ironically, the thing I dislike the most about San Francisco is the lack of real summers. Except for those three days per year when it gets above 100 degrees, which is also annoying because of lack of air conditioners.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:30 PM

Tech Sector Feeling COVID-19’s Economic Pain:

https://www.hiringlab.org/2020/07/30...ovid19-impact/

"The damage is widespread, with tech postings doing worse than job postings overall in half of tech hubs and 89% of non-tech hubs as of July 24."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Ironically, the thing I dislike the most about San Francisco is the lack of real summers. Except for those three days per year when it gets above 100 degrees, which is also annoying because of lack of air conditioners.
Just go inland, Palo Alto, San Jose, Walnut Creek ect. Even Oakland to a degree.

Socal Summers basically.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Pre-COVID, if you want "summer" all you had to do was take a BART ride. It was typically 25-30 degrees hotter in some place like Concord in the East Bay, usually in the 70s in Oakland or Berkeley, possibly even hotter up in Lake County for example. Post-COVID I won't get near a BART train but I grew up hating the hot, sticky summers of the East. So you enjoy them.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 10:43 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Palo Alto
Stanford dorms don't (didn't?) have air conditioning. Usually it's fine since it's quite mild during the academic year, but for those of us doing summer research and living in the dorms... it was brutal. The computer clusters were air conditioned and some people slept there on particularly hot nights.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 10:48 PM

its weird how much the us needs air conditioning. not many people live up here in the oregon part of the us (even ny is kida south compared to here). the florda area and the cali area looks like where everyone lives looking at a map. theres a lot of sprawl in those areas so looking at a map probably isnt accurate.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Just go inland, Palo Alto, San Jose, Walnut Creek ect. Even Oakland to a degree.

Socal Summers basically.
Yeah, I'm aware. Although, I think Oakland's is closer to SF weather than it is to L.A. weather. But the Bay Area would be a much more appealing place to me if SF and Oakland had weather like San Jose.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 11:35 PM

new york is in the 80's, here its in the 90's. i thought ny would be hotter. ive got a bunch of fans, never have used air conditioning.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:43 PM

https://mattmireles.com/rip-silicon-valley/

"RIP the place that was Silicon Valley.

Talent is fleeing the Bay Area at warp speed. Capital will flee too, but more slowly (as always). Soon-to-be-enacted tax hikes will accelerate the trend."

It's a stretch to say that the Silicon Valley will be the next Detroit.

My prediction is that Tech will still have a significant presence but no longer the main economic power house.

In a decade the Santa Clara Valley will be comparable to the San Gabriel Valley or Northern OC in Socal.

Basically a middle income ethnoburb with mostly bedroom communities mixed in with some commerce.

Besides the region resisted going vertical.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
https://mattmireles.com/rip-silicon-valley/

"RIP the place that was Silicon Valley.

Talent is fleeing the Bay Area at warp speed. Capital will flee too, but more slowly (as always). Soon-to-be-enacted tax hikes will accelerate the trend."

The piece sounds like it was written by a very bitter entrepreneur and investor transplant. To paraphrase a Gladys Knight & the Pips song, California proved too much for the man (too much for the man, he couldn't make it). Oh well. To him, I say, "Later, dude!"

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

much of the new nyc office building that is u/c right now is techy related, with all the big playas.

so a tidal wave of millions of square feet of tech industry offices are on deck for here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions