HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 2:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The boundaries that matter for most of the regionalisms don't match the provincial boundaries. In NS there is often a kind of pan-Maritime or Atlantic view but that doesn't mean that people in NS see their province as being the same as ON. It is similar in AB with SK being in that club. People in Quebec are also very similar to some living in northwestern NB; I'd say it doesn't matter much if that group is or isn't incorporated into some Quebec political or cultural view.

If you mean they have some concept of Quebec as being different because most people there speak French then maybe, although there are lots of different ways to look at it. If you mean that most Canadians see this as central or the most important dynamic in Canada, I don't think this is accurate at all, and is more like actively backwards from the reality on the ground today.

Around here I think that the most common view of Quebec is that it's another province about on par with BC or AB that acts like a "snowflake". And in the immigrant population (maybe a majority around where I am?) I'm not sure they have much notion of this at all. I think the old view of Canada as a kind of marriage of English and French elements (under the crown and with a bit of ambiance added by indigenous cultures) is in serious decline, and a lot of people are somewhat oblivious to culture and language as political factors.
And yet 99% of ROCers totally write off Québec as a place to live (including Montréal most of the time even) while they move freely around the ROC as if its borders were effectively the borders of their country.

We are actually mostly saying the same thing. You just don't know it yet. .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada