HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The cable barriers seem like a fairly standard piece of kit in most North American jurisdictions, but I can't think of a single place where it appears in or around Winnipeg. I wonder why that is?
Only ones that quickly come to mind are on HWY 1 west of the Headingly weigh station. There is a 3 wire set that protects a culvert crossing in both directions over some creek or drainage ditch.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 11:42 PM

Hey WPGstvsouth94, it's your lucky day!

They're clearing trees on the south side of St Marys and 100.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Hey WPGstvsouth94, it's your lucky day!

They're clearing trees on the south side of St Marys and 100.
Haha wooo! I must sound like a broken record I’m just so excited about this project coming to fruition. These projects are decades late and long overdue. Thank you for the update WildCake!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:04 PM

That is great news. Possibly one of the most long overdue interchange projects anywhere in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:06 PM

Wooo hoo! Instead of 3 decades behind everyone else, Manitoba will only be 2 decades behind. Or is it 4 and 3? Anyway awesome news. We’re slowly catching up.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Wooo hoo! Instead of 3 decades behind everyone else, Manitoba will only be 2 decades behind. Or is it 4 and 3? Anyway awesome news. We’re slowly catching up.
The Perimeter is moving from the 1950s into the 1980s!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

From the Province

March 17, 2022

PROVINCE ADVISES PREPARATIONS FOR ST. MARY'S INTERCHANGE PROJECT UNDERWAY

Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure advises that crews will begin work this week on the first phase of the St. Mary’s Interchange Project. Drivers are advised to exercise patience and caution when travelling around crews and machinery in the area.

Land clearing will be required for the interchange, as well as roadway connections and utility relocations in the project area. Clearing activities are taking place at the following locations:
• St. Mary’s Road at Redview Drive, on the east side of St. Mary’s Road, south to PTH 100;
• St. Mary’s Road at Seniuk Road – two intersections including north at PTH 100 and south Seniuk Road at St. Mary’s Road; and
• St. Mary’s Road at Viking Road on the east side.

Clearing is to begin this week and is expected to continue into April.

Manitoba Infrastructure will update impacts to traffic through the Manitoba 511 information system at www.manitoba511.ca/en/index.html.
Information about the project is available at www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/index.html.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:34 PM

This might've come through MTI's preferred consultant program, if that stills exists. I heard there was an RFP out for some engineering work on the north perimeter. It was vague. But something to do with rail crossings and potentially closings.

There was an RFP out probably 5 or 6 years ago to close the4 CP crossing at Main St and build a track over to the CP crossing near route 90. Maybe that came up again, if anybody knows.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:51 PM

https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/04/13/pro...source=twitter

Province has 3 year spending plan on Infrastructure. Including the 2 interchanges on 101.

These type of statements get me though.

“For the first time in our province’s history, a three-year capital plan is introduced to address key priorities to strengthen, invest and build on the province’s infrastructure,” said Piwniuk.

Ya this happens like every single year man.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:53 PM

Also this is the public engagement study that was done. What a piece of shit. It's just generic q & a's that are mostly meaningless. Nothing specific beyond a few answers we already know.

https://manitoba.ca/asset_library/en...-heard-sic.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Also this is the public engagement study that was done. What a piece of shit. It's just generic q & a's that are mostly meaningless. Nothing specific beyond a few answers we already know.

https://manitoba.ca/asset_library/en...-heard-sic.pdf
"I did a public engagement" lol

Yeah, when it's that lame, why even bother.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:53 PM

That's exactly it. Look we did the engagement.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:48 PM

Does anyone think there is a chance of an interchange being built at Pipeline and the Perimeter in the near future? Considering that is one of the busiest sections of highway in Manitoba and someone dies or is maimed there at least once a year you would hope eventually something is done about it. I drove through there last week and again almost saw an accident from someone crossing over to turn.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:57 PM

It does seem like a logical location for a new interchange considering the distance between the existing PTH 8 and 7 interchanges, the growth of the ever-expanding northwest Winnipeg suburbs and increased population in the West St. Paul area. I have no idea where Pipeline ranks on the list of provincial priorities, though. (One would think it must be fairly high... once you get past the treacherous St. Mary's, McGillivray and St. Anne's crossings, Pipeline has to be up there...maybe once those three get built, Pipeline will enter the discussion)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Does anyone think there is a chance of an interchange being built at Pipeline and the Perimeter in the near future? Considering that is one of the busiest sections of highway in Manitoba and someone dies or is maimed there at least once a year you would hope eventually something is done about it. I drove through there last week and again almost saw an accident from someone crossing over to turn.
The entire perimeter should turn into a freeway.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:25 PM
What could go wrong?

A $20-$25m diamond is all it would take. Surely the province could scrape up $25m.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
A $20-$25m diamond is all it would take. Surely the province could scrape up $25m.
Somehow in Manitoba the simple $20 million diamond interchange comes in at $135 million

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:11 PM

There is was a document that showed interchange locations on the north perimeter. Also I think there is a study going on similar to the south perimeter. Maybe that is the RFP I mentioned earlier.

Pipeline should be a diamond and it would be very simple. Lots of room.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Somehow in Manitoba the simple $20 million diamond interchange comes in at $135 million
haha touche.. although St. mary's involved a lot more new road. At least Pipeline would be straight and require little property or new road.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Could that be because of St Mary's proximity to the red river?

If we're looking at traffic counts as the only factor, both St Anne and Pipeline are pretty close for 1st as the next interchange site. I don't know where I could find collision data but Pipeline had a bad year ( in 2016 I think) for newsworthy collisions. Possibly due to it being the only signalized intersection for a long stretch, which St Annes will achieve once St Marys wraps up.

After those two, in order of traffic:
Kenaston/waverley
15 (Dugald)
Gunn
Wenzel.

Traffic count won't be the only factor but is probably a good indicator of a rough pecking order. Also money, since the Kenaston/Waverley interchange will be a bit more work.

Disclaimer, data is from 2019 and these were only the signalized intersections on Perimeter. There are some spots with more traffic where there is still a dirt road but obviously not an immediate interchange candidate since the cross traffic isn't as significant.

Source:
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/traffic/pdf/flowmap2019.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan