HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 5:56 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 6:49 PM

Holy Toledo, so much for things slowing down, this project if approved will ensure Century City and surrounding area makes a big impact on the LA basin, and will be officially the city of 'two towers'. Even though technically this is Beverly Hills, I thought that area wasn't zoned for high rises and CC was done building for the most part.

Edit: It also smokes the other proposal 9900 Wilshire, and 900 permanent jobs created is pretty enticing.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jun 28, 2020 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 8:47 PM

That looks great! Will this project co-exist with the Beverly Hilton expansion, or is it replacing that and One Beverly?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 10:26 PM

I believe that one is approved, this one is on the dirt lot visible on Google Earth.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Holy Toledo, so much for things slowing down, this project if approved will ensure Century City and surrounding area makes a big impact on the LA basin, and will be officially the city of 'two towers'. Even though technically this is Beverly Hills, I thought that area wasn't zoned for high rises and CC was done building for the most part.

Edit: It also smokes the other proposal 9900 Wilshire, and 900 permanent jobs created is pretty enticing.
There's few small buildings on Century Park East that can be redeveloped and even some smaller offices on SM blvd near the mall.
I think Century City can add more towers than you think. Also, remember there's a plan for to expand/add on to the Fox Studios lot. Last I remember,
it featured good amount of new high-rises.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:07 AM

As anyone been by downtown Culver City recently?
It looks so different, even since last December. What awesome progress.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
As anyone been by downtown Culver City recently?
It looks so different, even since last December. What awesome progress.
Yeah, the HBO building on Venice looks great, as does the Amazon building on Culver bl. So much happening there.

@Doctorboffin Your mock ups look amazing. Thanks for all of your work and sharing it with us... it gives us a sense of what is to come and drums up excitment amidst the times.

Also, the 3 lots on the northwest corner of Wilshire/Vermont have been cordoned off. The Shell gas station torn down, the Denny's closed and boarded up, the car lot/dealer closed and boarded up. This assemblage looks to be quite a significant collage of lots at a very prominent corner. Does anyone know what is to go here?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:27 AM

according to the la development map, there's a 1 story cvs (?) a 33 story condo, and a korean museum to go on that block.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:

That would be a big but welcome change for Bev. Hills to allow 30+ story buildings. There might be some opposition since few wealthy homeowners want a 30+ story tower next door. Right off Wilshire on the side streets you have single family detached houses. Expect some NIMBY opposition (hopefully not).

Now that the towers behind the Century Plaza are almost topped out, do they appear to be a bit taller than the triangular theme towers across the street? One of the descriptions had them going to 600', but some renderings showed them to be a bit shorter than the theme towers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Will this project co-exist with the Beverly Hilton expansion, or is it replacing that and One Beverly?
It looks like both the new "proposed project" and the whole 9900 Wilshire plans are scrapped and replaced with the Norman Foster design.

https://urbanize.la/post/heres-look-...beverly-hilton

Previous-

New-

Last edited by Steve8263; Jun 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:20 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the new tree-riddled towers trend, and this design isn't much better, but I'm just excited it could make a nice impact on the vertical skyline.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:43 PM

Me yesterday: The Mirabel is pretty huge and will definitely stand out.

Me today: It could be a lot bigger

Both of these projects look incredible imo. The Mirabel was still is one of the prettiest towers proposed in the city, and the new Onni project (https://urbanize.la/post/high-rise-r...office-complex) is absolutely gigantic. It's amusing because I was literally just thinking yesterday about how much of a waste of space the Wilshire Courtyard is. The new tower's design isn't as elegant as the Mirabel's, but I do think the gradual tilt and slope of the side and roof which can't be replicated in Google Earth, will really reduce their bulk.

The one would be the tallest building outside of DTLA, no?

In other news, I am thrilled with the Norman Foster proposal. I think it's a massive step up from the previous one (pun intended). I do want to know for sure if it is replacing or including the Beverly Hilton expansion, because their podiums, and overall design, line up, so I included a render both with and without it.

Also, the heights and exact position of the towers are estimated based on analyzing the photos. It's close, but I can't ensure complete accuracy.

Lastly, I added One Broadway in Santa Ana, which might be one of the ugliest and most ridiculous proposals I've seen. I kind of hope it gets built, in part because it could pave the way to more, and better development in the area, and because it is just so funny to me.

As always feedback is appreciated and let me know if there are any particular projects you want to see.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:45 PM

Nice work! that second to last image, is a double skyline I didn't know was so substantial. Also lots of fun new projects to keep up with soon.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post

Lastly, I added One Broadway in Santa Ana, which might be one of the ugliest and most ridiculous proposals I've seen. I kind of hope it gets built, in part because it could pave the way to more, and better development in the area, and because it is just so funny to me.

As always feedback is appreciated and let me know if there are any particular projects you want to see.
There's another high rise project planned in santa ana on the site of the oc register office building by the same developer of one broadway. same height for both towers too.

also don't know if you'd like to add long beach towers, there's like 10 high rise proposals there now.

finally, not sure if you've included the high rise west of the 405 just off wilshire near VA.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:23 PM

Wow, great work!

How many 30-45 story proposals and u/c are there now in the neighborhoods?

La Ceinga Station (1)
Maribel (1)
Wilshire Courtyard (2)
Brentwood/Wlshire (1)
Hollywood Crossroads (3 towers)
Hollywood Capitol Records development (2)
Century Plaza (2)
Century City unnamed condos (1-2)
Beverly Hilton development (2)
Koreatown must have at least 3 at the moment
Warner Center has 3-4 in the pipeline

What's crazy is, there's going to be alot more as the Purple Line nears completion.
I think there's going to be 40-50 story buildings all over that corridor. They have to go more vertical due to lack of land.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
There's few small buildings on Century Park East that can be redeveloped and even some smaller offices on SM blvd near the mall.
I think Century City can add more towers than you think. Also, remember there's a plan for to expand/add on to the Fox Studios lot. Last I remember,
it featured good amount of new high-rises.
Sorry to be bringing this up now, but I don't remember seeing any rendering for that Fox proposal, what were the buildings proposed? How tall are they?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:05 PM

Man those Wilshire Courtyard Office towers are quite robust, necessary to stand out from miles away though. And Century City is almost like a second downtown, but more like a nexus in a way. Crazy that we are seeing this much development during pandemic.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:32 PM
Paramoderator

Just so we have the photos for reference:

I hate to say it, but I think this might be a bad proposal. A project this massive should be mixed use, especially when its only a block away from a subway station. Compounding that, this project would include 4,600 parking spaces. Once again, this is on top of a subway line! Luckily, I suspect the project will evolve as it travels through the approval channels. I'd be shocked if this development, in its current form, is what ultimately gets built.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry to be bringing this up now, but I don't remember seeing any rendering for that Fox proposal, what were the buildings proposed? How tall are they?

Just a plan for now, but I think you're gonna see a few towers around 475 feet.

https://urbanize.la/post/fox-studios...re-development

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:30 AM

I like the fact that its going to be all office. We need alot of jobs around the stations too, and so many buildings have gone residential on Wilshire already.

I dont think Wilshire is going to be hurting for more residential towers in the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations