HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:25 PM

Any news coming from the developer is for entertainment value only, IMO. I don't see a point in parsing their language; I would think that they're being strategically indefinite about the project's viability so as to not spook the stakeholders and prospective sales while simultaneously averting the consequences of outright lying.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Nothing to do with the design, this was has just been plagued since inception.
A lot of it is program. I don't see there being massive demand for $1,000 / SF condos in the South Loop, landmark building and lake views or not. There's a reason they've been selling for years. Condos at this price in this location don't make sense without an apartment component at the bottom of the tower to support the financials.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Island Guru View Post
A lot of it is program. I don't see there being massive demand for $1,000 / SF condos in the South Loop, landmark building and lake views or not. There's a reason they've been selling for years. Condos at this price in this location don't make sense without an apartment component at the bottom of the tower to support the financials.
Agreed which makes it more confusing why they didnt shift the programming to 100% rentals instead of creating micro for sale condos.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Agreed which makes it more confusing why they didnt shift the programming to 100% rentals instead of creating micro for sale condos.
They're New York developers. They're used to high-end all-condo buildings. That program works in Manhattan. The South Loop (really, no neighborhood in Chicago) is Manhattan.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:06 AM

1000M closed on its financing?

I meant to post this a couple weeks ago but forgot. Besides, I don't have much confidence in the reporting/info from this site as I've known them to report false or inaccurate info in the past on several occasions. I mean they don't even know that 1000M is not located in the Loop and that 1000 S. Michigan is not North Michigan Avenue. Then again the site is a NY entity with a Chicago offshoot and probably don't even have any actual staff in Chicago writing their Chicago articles.

Time Equities and JK Equities’ tower on North Michigan Avenue, in the works since August 2015, has struggled to find buyers, according to Crain’s. In October, just 97 of the 421 units were classified as under contract, and representatives for the developers told the publication that “we have over 100 signed contracts. Some of the units were reconfigured last year into micro-units to spur sales.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2020...ew-york-firms/

Prices at the Helmut Jain-designed building range from $476,000 for studios to $8.5 million for the penthouse.

Goldman Sachs provided $470 million in financing, which closed in November.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:24 AM
DENNAB

Eh, disappointing but it's not like had high hopes or anything. I still don't understand why the developers are being so shady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post

Prices at the Helmut Jain-designed building range from $476,000 for studios to $8.5 million for the penthouse.

Good God Chicago is cheap, in SF or NY in a nice building a studio is like 800K - 1 million

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Eh, disappointing but it's not like had high hopes or anything. I still don't understand why the developers are being so shady.

Good God Chicago is cheap, in SF or NY in a nice building a studio is like 800K - 1 million
Yup! That’s one of the reasons why I am thinking about moving to Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:54 PM

^From where? Do it, you'll love it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:55 PM

^ Join us

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:13 PM

CK2 posted a performance mockup picture on their LinkedIn page. For those that aren't familiar with CK2, they are an installer/contract glazier. They will install just about anything glass related for anyone. They work for general contractors and glaziers. On their glazier side, they do mostly window wall work using OldcastleBE framing systems.

So, it sounds like this is still moving along behind the scenes. BV Glazing out of Canada is providing the unitized curtain wall frames for this project and my assumption is McHugh bought them direct and hired CK2 to install.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:28 PM

Good to hear that there still working on it behind the scenes

Does anyone have any idea when they could restart construction?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:03 PM
DENNAB

Frankenstein lives (supposedly), hopefully we see some mockups soon

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
CK2 posted a performance mockup picture on their LinkedIn page. For those that aren't familiar with CK2, they are an installer/contract glazier. They will install just about anything glass related for anyone. They work for general contractors and glaziers. On their glazier side, they do mostly window wall work using OldcastleBE framing systems.

So, it sounds like this is still moving along behind the scenes. BV Glazing out of Canada is providing the unitized curtain wall frames for this project and my assumption is McHugh bought them direct and hired CK2 to install.
Looks VERY similar to 50 West St's curtain wall in NY... not surprising. I can't see if BV did 50 West St too, but it wouldn't surprise me if Jahn replicated a successful detail and manufacturer from another project.

The only difference is that some of the spandrels have horizontal fluting like the side of an L car, and they do appear to be stainless steel rather than aluminum, again like an L car. I dunno if that's what Jahn was going for, but it looks like the fluted panels will be used on the back of building facing Wabash and the L tracks, so He seems to like that material on a few of his more recent Chicago projects (IIT dorms, Mercy Lakefront SRO, etc).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:43 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Frankenstein lives (supposedly), hopefully we see some mockups soon
Sorry I totally missed the last post of last page, mockup looks really cool.

Quote:
Looks VERY similar to 50 West St's curtain wall in NY... not surprising. I can't see if BV did 50 West St too, but it wouldn't surprise me if Jahn replicated a successful detail and manufacturer from another project.
Right, this building and that one are basically cousins. I'm a big fan of 50 WS, dig the blue color of this one though.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:45 PM

Yeah, I like this one (Chicago's) more. Quite a bit more, actually. If the two were brothers, I'd say 1000 is the bigger brother. Or at least the more talented one, haha.

Looking forward to this one getting built more than any other outside maybe One Chicago (if/when) It's going to look amazing on that area of G park. Very modern and classy, imo.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:25 PM

I've been skeptical about this since inception but the more i see the more i like and hope it comes to fruition!
Would also look really good next to the lovely NEMA!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
I've been skeptical about this since inception but the more i see the more i like and hope it comes to fruition!
Would also look really good next to the lovely NEMA!
Imagine if the second NEMA tower got built, this area alone would have the skyline of a normal city.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:25 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:44 PM

Very cool

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:48 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Well shit, this looks good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction