HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOU View Post
Perhaps this subject has been discussed but I was wondering if anybody knew who the paving contractor will be for the new leg of the SWRR?

If it's the same as the SE and NE legs, then get ready for repaving in 5 years (they currently resurfacing portions). It's great to have a bidding process but you obviously get what you pay for and in this case it's crap.

NE is need of major resurfacing and SE is bumpy to say the least. Quality is quite poor.

Also, does the contract for the new leg require guardrails near abutments and light fixtures? I've seen and heard of a lot of unnecessary road casualties along the completed portion of the Ring road.

Thanks.
Here's a link to all of the signed agreements, schedules, etc. The exact specifications should be in one of the documents so if you know exactly what you're looking for you'll find it.

I'm not sure if the agreements specify who will be doing the paving but maybe you can tell by which companies are part of the consortium. Or go to the SWRR website and fire off an email. Some paving has already been done so it shouldn't be a big deal for them to tell you.

https://open.alberta.ca/publications...gary-ring-road

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:58 PM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:16 AM

[post removed]

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:11 PM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:35 AM

Calgary Ring Road passes major construction milestones

June 26 Update: The final construction contract for the Calgary Ring Road has been awarded.

West Ring Road - Construction will get underway this summer on the south portion of the road, which is expected to be completed in 2024. This is a two-year delay. The West Ring Road was originally expected to be open to traffic in 2022, one year after the completion of the southwest segment. Contract has been awarded to Calgary Safelink Partners.

Southwest Ring Road -80% complete. Completion 2021. The portion of the road between Glenmore Trail and Fish Creek Boulevard is expected to open to traffic in fall 2020.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...62CD8670306490

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
June 26 Update: The final construction contract for the Calgary Ring Road has been awarded.

West Ring Road - Construction will get underway this summer on the south portion of the road, which is expected to be completed in 2024. This is a two-year delay. The West Ring Road was originally expected to be open to traffic in 2022, one year after the completion of the southwest segment. Contract has been awarded to Calgary Safelink Partners.

Southwest Ring Road -80% complete. Completion 2021. The portion of the road between Glenmore Trail and Fish Creek Boulevard is expected to open to traffic in fall 2020.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...62CD8670306490
What a load of shit their reasoning is for a two year delay.

The South project is targeted for completion in 2024 due to delays in relocating the ENMAX utility line, which required Alberta Utilities Commission approval, as well as considerations for the COVID19 pandemic.

The South leg of the project was supposed to start construction this spring so starting in the summer should hardly warrant a two year delay. If the utility line has been moved what's the real reason for the delay?

I'd also like to know how much is going to be cut back because initially this part of the project was expected to cost at least $500 million. I can see bids coming in a lot lower under the current economic environment but ~50% lower?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The portion of the road between Glenmore Trail and Fish Creek Boulevard is expected to open to traffic in fall 2020.]
Opening to Fish Creek Boulevard probably good for Macleod Trail and Elbow Drive (and the new Costco) but not so good for Fish Creek Boulevard and the community of Evergreen. Why not just open to Anderson Road until the 22x interchange is open?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Opening to Fish Creek Boulevard probably good for Macleod Trail and Elbow Drive (and the new Costco) but not so good for Fish Creek Boulevard and the community of Evergreen. Why not just open to Anderson Road until the 22x interchange is open?
That was the agreement with the Tsuut'ina nation. The portion of the road going through Tsuut'ina land (Glenmore to Fish Creek Blvd.) was to be completed first.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 11:16 PM

Alberta Transportation released a bit more info today about the delay on the West leg.

On Saturday, a spokesperson with Alberta Transportation said the pandemic has led to supply issues.

“COVID-19 has delayed the delivery of some products required for construction, such as bridge bearings,” said Cole Hogan, press secretary to Transportation Minister Ric McIver.

“Alberta Transportation has allowed the contractor more time to obtain these materials and the associated materials testing required.”

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...3-40f2bb107097

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:03 PM

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 23, 2020 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post

The South leg of the project was supposed to start construction this spring so starting in the summer should hardly warrant a two year delay. If the utility line has been moved what's the real reason for the delay?
The utility situation and timing of construction with the SW contractor near Highway 8 is pretty complicated and I would believe it. They can start this summer but probably can't go near Highway 8 for a long time.

Quote:
I'd also like to know how much is going to be cut back because initially this part of the project was expected to cost at least $500 million. I can see bids coming in a lot lower under the current economic environment but ~50% lower?
Usually the big savings are changing designs to be more efficient. With the ring road, that means less bridges. I haven't seen the winning bid's plans but if they can simplify Highway 8 then that's the big ticket saved.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:01 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

The South project is targeted for completion in 2024 due to delays in relocating the ENMAX utility line, which required Alberta Utilities Commission approval, as well as considerations for the COVID19 pandemic.

The 2024 opening date doesn’t really bother me - the fact that the ring will then be completed is satisfying.
The 50% reduction in cost is a bit concerning as you say.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
The 2024 opening date doesn’t really bother me - the fact that the ring will then be completed is satisfying.
The delay in itself is likely not problem as it may be some years before traffic (i.e. on Macleod Trail or Elbow Drive) returns to pre-COVID levels. However I do feel for the folks who live near or have to use (or cross) Fish Creek Boulevard (the terminus of the section to open in 2020).

Why not build to Fish Creek Blvd (per agreement with the Tsuut'ina nation) but do not open until the section to 22x is complete.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:20 AM

Quote:
The delay in itself is likely not problem as it may be some years before traffic (i.e. on Macleod Trail or Elbow Drive) returns to pre-COVID levels. However I do feel for the folks who live near or have to use (or cross) Fish Creek Boulevard (the terminus of the section to open in 2020).

Why not build to Fish Creek Blvd (per agreement with the Tsuut'ina nation) but do not open until the section to 22x is complete.
The 2024 date applies to the West leg of the road. What you're talking about has to be completely done by the fall of 2021. One of the big benefits of P3 projects is that they have to be done by when the contract states. Unfortunately, the NDP went old school for the West leg which allows the government to take as long as they want.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
The 50% reduction in cost is a bit concerning as you say.
I wonder if we'll get to see the final design the consortium came up with?

As for the 2024 opening date I wonder if that isn't in large part politically motivated. The province's wording states "no later than...2024." There's a provincial election due for the spring of 2023. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the road is done right around that time and the UCP makes a big deal out of it being done ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 12:38 AM

Sounds like the delay comes from a battle that has been going on for the last few years.

Quote:
The province cited delays related to relocating an Enmax utility line, which required Alberta Utilities Commission approval, in addition to “considerations for the COVID-19 pandemic.”

“There’s people near the project that have decided to make an effort to essentially force the power lines to be a different place than we’re planning on putting them,” McIver said.
Anyone want to take a guess as to who the ring leader is of this group of people who has been fighting against the power lines so fiercely??

Quote:
But the new delay is another negative result of the decision by the previous PC government to construct the southwest leg of the ring road with enough space to accommodate 16 lanes, which ties into the west section, according to civil engineer Barry Lester.

“It means there’s not enough right-of-way, that the Enmax line has to be pushed up against the community,” said Lester, who has managed multiple major city transportation projects, including the Stoney Trail bridge over the Bow River.

“This is about the chickens coming home to roost.”
Yes the same Barry Lester who has spent the last year fighting against the Green Line Stage 1.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...-5b9c84b900ed/

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Sounds like the delay comes from a battle that has been going on for the last few years.

Anyone want to take a guess as to who the ring leader is of this group of people who has been fighting against the power lines so fiercely??

Yes the same Barry Lester who has spent the last year fighting against the Green Line Stage 1.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...-5b9c84b900ed/
This makes way more sense than blaming the pandemic. The government should have said this back in early spring when I believe most people were expecting the contract to be awarded. I hope the courts don't fuck us over on this project and reward a very small number of spoiled whiners.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post

Golly! Doesn’t this guy want Calgarians to be able to travel around the city more efficiently by either vehicle or transit? Is this guy someone who is a hermit and just stays home all of the time and doesn’t go out? Sheesh!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:52 PM

Photos! Photos! Photos!

There are a few new SWCRR construction photos in the July 2020 Newsletter on the KGL website. Not as good as Corndogger's though!!!

http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte..._July-2020.pdf

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
There are a few new SWCRR construction photos in the July 2020 Newsletter on the KGL website. Not as good as Corndogger's though!!!

http://www.swcrrproject.com/wp-conte..._July-2020.pdf
It sucks that KGL (the consortium?) managed to get out of posting regular photo updates. We get tons of photos for the West leg on a regular basis.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure