HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 5:47 PM

Other than 44 East, I don't recall for sure which other projects with residential components had onsite affordable housing. I think the Dorsey does. But 6XG does not.

Unknown:

5th & Brazos
The Alexan
Hanover Repub Sq
Bowen
Quincy
West Campus projects

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:52 PM

Why is there an exemption for affordable housing?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
The City equates affordable housing projects to public works projects.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:21 PM

I updated the tallest projects list for April in the sticky thread. That will probably be my last update until things start returning to normal.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:24 PM

Thank you! What's the tallest projects list?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you! What's the tallest projects list?
Well, it would be a list of Austin's tallest projects either proposed or with demo, site prep or U/C. Take a look at it in the Development Links & Webcams sticky thread and see.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
I disagree with this policy. It is either a "health issue" for all construction workers, or it isn't. Putting workers and their families at risk is either acceptable or it isn't. I'm interested to hear the argument that housing for certain people is more important than others. Shut em all down or let em work with new strict rules. Liquor stores are open, WTF? I don't get it.

My neighbor is about to be homeless, due to the fact she just sold/closed on her house last week, but yet her new house isn't ready (to be completed in 3 weeks...but work has now stopped). The new owners are scheduled to move in to her current home at the end of April.

She's not rich....and not poor.....so fuck it. I'd let her stay with us....but oh...wait. the Vid.

We literally joked she could pitch a tent my front yard....kidding, not kidding.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:59 PM

The definition of essential businesses is rather random and suspect based on the order. It's not just construction workers. KXAN had a good story about what's essential last week. Semiconductors, for example, are considered essential. That allows some of Austin's biggest employers (Samsung, NXP, Cirrus, Silicon Labs, etc.) continue operations albeit very limited with strict guidelines.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I disagree with this policy. It is either a "health issue" for all construction workers, or it isn't. Putting workers and their families at risk is either acceptable or it isn't. I'm interested to hear the argument that housing for certain people is more important than others. Shut em all down or let em work with new strict rules. Liquor stores are open, WTF? I don't get it.

My neighbor is about to be homeless, due to the fact she just sold/closed on her house last week, but yet her new house isn't ready (to be completed in 3 weeks...but work has now stopped). The new owners are scheduled to move in to her current home at the end of April.

She's not rich....and not poor.....so fuck it. I'd let her stay with us....but oh...wait. the Vid.

We literally joked she could pitch a tent my front yard....kidding, not kidding.
I feel for her, but every hotel and airbnb is pretty much empty... she should try the Fairmont.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:27 AM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
A major Chicago-based development firm is planning its first Austin project.

CA Ventures has proposed building a mixed-use tower on half of a downtown block along East Fourth Street, according to filings with the city of Austin Development Services Department. That half-block now houses Brazos Hall and the 4th & Brazos offices.

An entity connected to the family of former Austin Mayor Roy Butler purchased the half block of East Fourth Street between Brazos Street and San Jacinto Boulevard in January. CA Ventures plans to ground-lease the half-block from the Butlers, according to multiple sources.

This would be the first venture into the red-hot Austin market for CA Ventures, a real estate investment and development firm behind a wide variety of projects across the country including offices, industrial buildings, apartments and student and senior housing. It has proposed a 33-story, 417-unit residential building in Midtown, Atlanta — a project that recently received a $101 million construction loan. And in downtown Minneapolis, CA Ventures is partnering with Harlem Irving, also of Chicago, to build a 20-story apartment tower.

CA Ventures did not respond to a message seeking comment on the project. Aquila Commercial, which represents the Butlers in development deals, declined to comment.

Garza EMC LLC is the civil engineer.

A site plan application for CA Venture’s Austin tower has been submitted to the city’s Development Services Department. City staff have given the OK on the application's completeness but the actual site plan, which would provide more details on what’s being proposed, hasn't been submitted yet. DSD Director Denise Lucas said last week her department would stop accepting paper plans as the COVID-19 pandemic escalates.

A permit has also been filed with the city for the demolition of Brazos Hall but that would need approval from Austin’s Historic Landmark Commission.

The site, near the Austin Convention Center, is in an area poised for massive redevelopment.

The northern half of the block is occupied by the Brazos Lofts condos, which were purchased in January by Austin-based Cielo Property Group for $55 million for a future tower.

Just south of Brazos Hall, Los Angeles-based Karlin Real Estate in October purchased the 112-unit Railyard Condominiums for $104 million. The two half-blocks along Fourth Street, between Brazos and Trinity streets, will also become a high-rise development.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxboom View Post
cntl-u

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 11:26 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVistaChino View Post
america fuck yeah

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:02 PM

It's funny how sparse the details are. No floor count, no hotel operator, no drawings. Looooong time horizon on this one, I'm betting.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVistaChino View Post
This is actually super misleading. Our testing is really ramping up right now so it just looks like our cases are spiking badly all of a sudden.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:50 PM

There still seems to be some confusion as to what type of construction can continue. The powers that be are trying to sort it out based on the State Order. But it does seem clear that any residential construction can continue.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...rus-order.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There still seems to be some confusion as to what type of construction can continue. The powers that be are trying to sort it out based on the State Order. But it does seem clear that any residential construction can continue.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...rus-order.html
THat's a real shame. I live near a lot of single family home construction and none of the crew are wearing masks. They very generally don't have any oversight either. We're going to see outbreaks in labor communities like this in a few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
THat's a real shame. I live near a lot of single family home construction and none of the crew are wearing masks. They very generally don't have any oversight either. We're going to see outbreaks in labor communities like this in a few weeks.
I also feel terrible for all the grocery and warehouse folks who don't get masks. But I would say jobs related to the food chain are more essential than construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin