HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:19 PM

So while we are on the topic of the airport, this was published on the Rivard Report today:

https://therivardreport.com/airport-...box=1580411667

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:50 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
So while we are on the topic of the airport, this was published on the Rivard Report today:

https://therivardreport.com/airport-...box=1580411667
Interesting and encouraging. I wonder what carrier would be the first? It would have to be a carrier operating 757's or at the largest... a 767... which are quickly disappearing... due to SAT's current runway length.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:18 PM

Somewhat of a misleading article.

They released a survey to gauge business interest in Europe, so they don't have results yet and he states, “We already have a European market demand.” Any mid-size airport can say that. No where in the article (except the title) says high demand to Europe.

I don't believe there are enough passengers flying to Europe to make a nonstop viable. AUS has KLM, BA, LH, and DY. There is more competition and lower airfares so leisure travelers, often price sensitive, can find incredible deals to Europe out of AUS this summer. Doing a dummy booking in July to London, SAT cost $1400, while AUS $400.

The article mentions London and Frankfurt as the top 2 choices. British Airways and Lufthansa would be the only airlines willing to fly to each respectively, and there's no way they would risk opening up a new station and cannibalizing their AUS routes to try and test SAT. San Antonio would have to grow substantially in business travel to Europe before an airline would test the market. He says summer 2022, I'd be surprised if we saw anything before 2030.

Granted I'd love to see SAT have Europe, but with AUS so close, they should look at South America or Central America (routes AUS does not have).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:55 AM

The article states 45 percent of passengers heading across the pond are willing to pay premium economy an greater. The survey conducted shows sufficient demand for 3x weekly service to begin. Also greatest demand is for Frankfurt not London.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
The article states 45 percent of passengers heading across the pond are willing to pay premium economy an greater. The survey conducted shows sufficient demand for 3x weekly service to begin. Also greatest demand is for Frankfurt not London.
Facts and not opinions!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:31 AM

facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post

Facts and not opinions!
We need to face the fact that we're not gonna get any transatlantic or transpacific flights with these short runways, at least 9,000 feet long. I've been preaching that we should have moved the port to Kelly when it closed before all of the terminal improvements started. Now it's too late and we're having to buy property and pour concrete.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 11:34 AM

Cant deny those facts Shertz1! Keep growing SAT! 👍

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
We need to face the fact that we're not gonna get any transatlantic or transpacific flights with these short runways, at least 9,000 feet long. I've been preaching that we should have moved the port to Kelly when it closed before all of the terminal improvements started. Now it's too late and we're having to buy property and pour concrete.
I would hope the airport administration is knowledgable enough about SAT current capabilities and expansion opportunities to include accurate information in any request for services. Just saying, I believe them more than the overly negative and many times insulting opinions I read on here. Not saying yours is one,but there are at least two about this story.

Just because you include a fact along side an opinion doesn't validate the opinion. If demand is there, SAT will do what it takes to accommodate the flights.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 10:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Frankfurt is a big European hub. It's centrally located so it's a good transfer point to other European cities. Plus Brexit and associated British isolationism will put some constraints on London becoming more of a transfer locations, although the effects will probably be minimal because it's such a big city with such big airports, and is in western Europe which makes for a good stopping point for flights crossing the Atlantic.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:05 PM

I'll believe a summer 2022 transatlantic flight when I see it, unfortunately. The daily passenger numbers to Central and South America would be something I would want to see considering I've always thought we could support a Copa flight to Panama City.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:27 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post

Facts and not opinions!
Survey results (alone) are not "facts" in which an airline is going to take seriously. They're going to look at actual passenger movements as well as the long-term potential to sustain a route. That will provide a base on which to argue said specific route.

Having short runways & AUS already having about 22 flights to Europe per week (with more routes coming in the next few years), it's going to be a tough sell.

I too would try and push routes to Central & potentially South America from SAT. The latter may also fall subject to SATs current runway length.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Feb 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Survey results are not "facts" in which an airline is going to take seriously. They're going to look at actual passenger movements. That will provide a potential base on which to argue a specific route.

Having short runways & AUS already having about 22 flights to Europe per week (with more routes coming in the next few years), it's going to be a tough sell.

I too would try and push routes to Central & potentially South America from SAT. The latter may also fall subject to SATs current runway length.
Considering AUS, a more viable solution would be a high-speed rail connection between downtown SA, SAT, New Braunfels, San Marcos, AUS and Round Rock, with a Capital Metro link to downtown Austin. (But this idea always fails because people apparently enjoy sitting in their cars in traffic.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Considering AUS, a more viable solution would be a high-speed rail connection between downtown SA, SAT, New Braunfels, San Marcos, AUS and Round Rock, with a Capital Metro link to downtown Austin. (But this idea always fails because people apparently enjoy sitting in their cars in traffic.)
I absolutely love that idea. At some point, it should really, seriously, be considered. I know attempts have been made in the past. But, maybe as traffic gets even worse, people (and governments) will be forced to take a true look at it as an option.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 1:26 PM

San Antonio gaining nonstop flights to key Mexican city

It appears y'all are getting a new international airline:

Viva Aerobus is launching new nonstop flights from San Antonio International Airport to Monterrey, Mexico.

The new flights will begin June 26 with two flights on Monday and Friday departing SAT at 8:15 a.m. Fares will start at $99 each way.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2020/02/13/san-antonio-gaining-nonstops-flights-to-key.html

San Antonio International Airport has landed a new airline — but if the name VivaAerobus sounds familiar, it’s because the airline has launched service twice before on the nonstop route to Monterrey, Mexico, only to later terminate it.

The new, twice-weekly flights will start June 26

https://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/VivaAerobus-launches-San-Antonio-to-Mexico-15055674.php

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:33 PM

Great News! Keep growing SAT! Keep doing what your doing! Dont worry about what people are saying about what other airports in other cities are doing!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 4:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
It appears y'all are getting a new international airline:

Viva Aerobus is launching new nonstop flights from San Antonio International Airport to Monterrey, Mexico.

The new flights will begin June 26 with two flights on Monday and Friday departing SAT at 8:15 a.m. Fares will start at $99 each way.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2020/02/13/san-antonio-gaining-nonstops-flights-to-key.html

San Antonio International Airport has landed a new airline — but if the name VivaAerobus sounds familiar, it’s because the airline has launched service twice before on the nonstop route to Monterrey, Mexico, only to later terminate it.

The new, twice-weekly flights will start June 26

https://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/VivaAerobus-launches-San-Antonio-to-Mexico-15055674.php
That's essentially a regional flight, but it makes sense for SAT to be the destination because it's the closest airport and because of San Antonio's large Mexican-American population. Technically it's an international flight, so that's a good bragging right.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's essentially a regional flight, but it makes sense for SAT to be the destination because it's the closest airport and because of San Antonio's large Mexican-American population. Technically it's an international flight, so that's a good bragging right.
Agree. Just wish it was a FAR better airline than VivaAerobus servicing the route. Let's be honest...it's a sketchy airline at best.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:02 PM

There used to be a great yahoo group dedicated to the SAT airport. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:51 AM

A certain airline answered internally a question from an Employee that SAT is on their list for service in the future.

Dun dun dun.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:07 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
A certain airline answered internally a question from an Employee that SAT is on their list for service in the future.

Dun dun dun.
I’ve lived in SA twice and consider it a second home, so I enjoy following it.

I know that here in Sacramento, our problem isn’t how many Trans Atlantic or Trans Pacific bound passengers from Sacramento are using San Francisco International for non stop flights to Europe and Asia Nor how many people are flying from Sacramento to NY, Chicago or Atlanta then connecting to Europe. There are plenty of economy passengers heading to Europe and Asia, but there’s not a large business class market (at least for Europe). That’s the backbone that the airlines depend upon to make routes profitable. I’m guessing that’s San Antonio’s problem as well. The good news is that San Antonio has a strong corporate base, but who knows if there are sufficient numbers flying Business Class to Europe and Asia from SAT. The airlines have that data though.

San Antonio’s relative position in South Texas would seemingly make it an attractive hub for flights to Central and South America. Secondly, I’m not sure whether the shorter runways would still be a problem for larger aircraft since the Dreamliner is made of lighter composite materials? Hot Summers do pose a problem for lift because of the thin air though. If SA and Bexar County want to expand the runways though, it can get down.

The biggest obstacle facing any city trying to lure new trans oceanic flights will be the current direction of the economy. Flybe in the UK has ceased operations today because the tourist industry is bottoming out due to the Coronavirus. I’m betting a lot of airlines will put expansion on hold and more airlines might find themselves having to cut flights and layoff employees. Lastly, there’s a lot of pressure in the UK to cut carbon emissions by cutting the number of flights. The runway expansion Heathrow was hoping to move forward with was recently blocked by the courts there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio