HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:13 AM
recession proof

I personally preferred the Queen-King & Spadina area in the 90s.

Edge Architects has a new design for their soon to launch project at Princess and Dorset Streets in Uptown Waterloo:
https://www.therecord.com/news-story...g-in-the-core/

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 24, 2020 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Apparently Ottawa is getting a new library, and it's ugly as sin.
How is this ugly as sin? It'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd nicest modern-day library in the country if it turns out as rendered.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/take-a-fir...rary-1.4780494

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:52 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
How is this ugly as sin? It'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd nicest modern-day library in the country if it turns out as rendered.
I wouldn't call it ugly but they could do a lot better imo. The one in Halifax is much nicer. Surely the nation's capital can build something more fitting for a capital. Ottawa forgets that it's not Belleville all too often.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:17 AM

I think it's quite nice, but in a high-quality condo podium way. It isn't thrilling, it is safe, but it's nice overall and will be a good project for Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:48 AM
Spiritual

Quote:
Apparently Ottawa is getting a new library, and it's ugly as sin.
Quote:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/take-a-fir...rary-1.4780494
Kinda matches the architecture of the Cdn. Museum of Civilization you already have.

Looks fine to me.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:50 PM
Fake News

I don't find it ugly, but I think it's uninspired and conservative. The inside looks like a typical 80's or 90's library with updated materials. I like the outside form except for the blank wall street interaction.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:42 PM

I like it, it also gives me n 80's maybe even 70's vibe.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:49 PM

I often read the articles on Buffalo Rising. I have a soft spot for the Queen City even with all of it's faults. The people are really nice and it's nice to read their opinions of what goes on north of the border. Anyway they wrote about the MCC proposal. I think the comment section is the best though.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2020/0...toronto-style/

Mall Redevelopment: Toronto Style
by Buffalo RisingBuffalo Rising January 22, 2020, 1:24 pm

Reuse of dying malls is a timely topic, see Boulevard, Eastern Hills and most likely, McKinley Mall in this area. In suburban Toronto, a developer is revamping one of Canada’s most successful malls: Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga, Canada’s sixth-largest city.

Oxford Properties and Alberta Investment Management Corporation are planning to transform 130 acres around the mall into an18 million square foot master planned mixed-use community, giving the booming suburb a ‘downtown.’ The planned Square One District is the largest mixed-use downtown development in Canadian history. What is today swaths of parking lots will be transformed into a vibrant community that will eventually comprise more than 18,000 residential units, a transit mobility hub connected to the Hurontario LRT, community buildings, parks, green spaces and office space. All of which will be anchored by Square One Shopping Centre, one of the best performing malls in Canada.

full story: https://www.buffalorising.com/2020/0...toronto-style/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:21 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Chadillaccc, The limestone is highly distracting. It doesn't 'flow' with the roof and draws attention from it, resulting in the eye being drawn to the drab and rigid limestone lines.

It looks like someone tried to do a makeover on a brutalist building, but it was their first attempt. Also, this is Ottawa. It never turns out as rendered.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:40 PM
arf

I believe Edmonton is the only city able to complain about "not exactly as rendered".

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 7:55 PM
ARTchitecture

No city is immune to it, but yes, Edmonton and Ottawa seem to be standouts lately with prominent buildings (Claridge Icon, Milner Library, Rogers Place, etc). Though the Legends tower at Edmonton's Ice District turned out better than rendered, so that's a great example.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I don't find it ugly, but I think it's uninspired and conservative. The inside looks like a typical 80's or 90's library with updated materials. I like the outside form except for the blank wall street interaction.
The Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, and Halifax libraries are all major civic monuments and each one is very architecturally coherent and distinctive. The Ottawa proposal just looks like a nice, functional library with nice finishes (and also kind of like an airport). It seems like it's more the new O-Train stations that are filling the kind of civic-architectural niche that the Central Library does in Halifax.

Something I like about the Ottawa one is that it's an integrated library/archives. I wonder why this isn't done more - the Halifax municipal archives are in a random industrial park strip mall with bad hours and from a practical point of view aren't very accessible to the general public. The NS archives on the other hand are in their own large-ish building on Dal campus.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
The Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, and Halifax libraries are all major civic monuments and each one is very architecturally coherent and distinctive. The Ottawa proposal just looks like a nice, functional library with nice finishes (and also kind of like an airport). It seems like it's more the new O-Train stations that are filling the kind of civic-architectural niche that the Central Library does in Halifax.

Something I like about the Ottawa one is that it's an integrated library/archives. I wonder why this isn't done more - the Halifax municipal archives are in a random industrial park strip mall with bad hours and from a practical point of view aren't very accessible to the general public. The NS archives on the other hand are in their own large-ish building on Dal campus.
The only other place where this was done was in Montréal with La Grande Bibliothèque. Guy Berthiaume was an integral part of both projects (as head of National Library and Archives, first for the Province of Québec (where National means Provincial), then for the Feds in Ottawa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Biblioth%C3%A8que
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Berthiaume

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Chadillaccc, The limestone is highly distracting. It doesn't 'flow' with the roof and draws attention from it, resulting in the eye being drawn to the drab and rigid limestone lines.

It looks like someone tried to do a makeover on a brutalist building, but it was their first attempt. Also, this is Ottawa. It never turns out as rendered.

I'm not getting anything from what you are saying when I look at it. I'm sorry the design has some way of making your eyeballs move away the roof-line which was clearly designed to draw your eyes upwards. You should also do a little research on what the Brutalist movement was all about, You will never find flowing curves in a Brutalist design.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:15 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Video for the new Ottawa library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmceZQKDbt0

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:42 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I think it's quite nice, but in a high-quality condo podium way. It isn't thrilling, it is safe, but it's nice overall and will be a good project for Ottawa.
I don't disagree but shouldn't a national capital aspire to more than that? Hell, shouldn't all cities be aspirational? If one's building one's own house, 'not thrilling' is fine, but when it's a public building they should go the extra mile.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Luckily a guy on Skyrise just randomly did the numbers. Well over 4000 units for Downtown/Beltline alone. Doesn't include the 2 to 3000 units in the rest of the inner ring of the inner city (Mission, Inglewood, Bridgeland, Kensington, Marda Loop, Bankview) or any of the recently completed projects downtown not included in the 2019 municipal census.

Park Central - 462 units - 2020 completion
One Tower- 390 units - 2020 completion
Cube - 65 units - 2020 completion
The Hat @ East Village - 221 units - 2019-20 completion
The Hat @ 7th Ave - 66 units - 2020 completion
West Village - 512 units - 2021-22 completion (likely)
Curtis Block - 647 units - 2021 completion
Residences on 10th - 900 units - 2021-22 completion
11 & 11th SW - 369 units - 2021 completion
Redstone - 137 units - 2020-21 completion
HomeSpace 5th Ave - 58 units - 2020 completion
Arris East - 190 units - 2021 completion
Barron Building - 103 units - 2021 completion
Telus Sky - 326 units - 2020 completion

That is over 4410 more rental residences downtown in the next 2 years.
That is huge, and all U/C except for Residences. I'm pleasantly surprised how much is in the pipeline given the horror stories some of my Calgary colleagues have been telling me about trying to rent out their condos/houses.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 10:52 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm not getting anything from what you are saying when I look at it. I'm sorry the design has some way of making your eyeballs move away the roof-line which was clearly designed to draw your eyes upwards. You should also do a little research on what the Brutalist movement was all about, You will never find flowing curves in a Brutalist design.
Dude, we're on this forum. Of course I know you don't find flowing lines in brutalism. But those lines on the library proposal are barely flowing. The colour contrast draws my eyes to the middle, the drab, gray, middle.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:20 AM

"Dude", they are so far from Brutalist. It seems to be only you who is obsessed with hating the limestone part if the design.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:18 PM

I like the limestone part of the design. Without it, it's just another glass building. Can't say I see any brutalist inspiration. I do see a little bit of the Museum of Civilization in Hull.

Materials and workmanship will be very important on this project. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result. Generally speaking, Diamond and Schmitt designs are usually well executed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada