HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yeah right... Stopping at Quebec City’s tiny airport, but not Toronto’s...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:56 PM
Still optimistic

And Montreal's. I'm certain that VIA will want to stop at Pearson once HFR is extended westwards. But for now, it's already a decently convenient connection between VIA and UP Express.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
And Montreal's. I'm certain that VIA will want to stop at Pearson once HFR is extended westwards. But for now, it's already a decently convenient connection between VIA and UP Express.
the route also goes by the Pickering airport site. Presumably there's plans for a stop there once the airport is built.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:01 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the route also goes by the Pickering airport site. Presumably there's plans for a stop there once the airport is built.
I believe VIA's plan is to reach out to municipalities and industries to determine where they implement this at first, and where to expand it. This is sadly one of those things that we won't know until we know. :/
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
And why would Via connect at Pearson when their plan is only to downtown Toronto? Remember not Via but the province was the main proponent of the HSR route from downtown Toronto to London. You can argue about the merits or lack of concerning the HSR route but not this aspect of Via's proposal.

The whole corridor Quebec City to Detroit including Windsor should have been the study area for the HFR proposal, but that is what happens when you have competing plans and all governments dragging their heels.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:20 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
And why would Via connect at Pearson when their plan is only to downtown Toronto? Remember not Via but the province was the main proponent of the HSR route from downtown Toronto to London. You can argue about the merits or lack of concerning the HSR route but not this aspect of Via's proposal.

The whole corridor Quebec City to Detroit including Windsor should have been the study area for the HFR proposal, but that is what happens when you have competing plans and all governments dragging their heels.
The feds recently announced they want VIA to consider expanding HFR to the entire corridor, so we'll see what the "alternate route' looks like. :/
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
The feds recently announced they want VIA to consider expanding HFR to the entire corridor, so we'll see what the "alternate route' looks like. :/
The last thing this project needs is more scope-creep.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Would extension to K-W and London (at least) actually represent much "scope-creep"?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Would extension to K-W and London (at least) actually represent much "scope-creep"?
K-W is already getting two-way all-day GO service. And yes it would.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:17 PM

I would argue that southwest Ontario (ie. the Toronto to Windsor part of the corridor) actually makes sense as something to be left to the province to deal with. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec makes sense as a federal project--you're connecting the national capital, the two provincial capitals, and the two largest cities of the country. But Kitchener, London, Windsor, etc. seems a lot less "national". I actually wonder if VIA should just download all service west of Toronto to Metrolinx.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I would argue that southwest Ontario (ie. the Toronto to Windsor part of the corridor) actually makes sense as something to be left to the province to deal with. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec makes sense as a federal project--you're connecting the national capital, the two provincial capitals, and the two largest cities of the country. But Kitchener, London, Windsor, etc. seems a lot less "national". I actually wonder if VIA should just download all service west of Toronto to Metrolinx.
Good Day.

If I recall my history, VIA has bandied about west of TO for many years (along with the other stretches), and kept falling prey to way too much scope creep (and, my stretch first - ism). The last push was the Ont.Libs. proposing a HSR for that stretch, and the ball was dropped yet again.

VIA is really trying to get this limited scope proposal pushed through for once, and if it really does work - well then and only then expand the net with a positive backdrop to showcase.

IMHO.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree. It should be kept small to prove the concept first and then expand from there. If we try to do everything at once, nothing will get done.

Having said that, it all depends on what is expected. If the idea is to only have a plan for a future extension to K-W and London, then by all means, but it shouldn't be in the first stage.

IMHO, the initial project should be limitited to Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal as that is the central leg and supports the 1st, 2nd and 5th largest CMAs. Extensions to Quebec City (the 7th largest CMA) and K-W and London (the 10th and 11th largest CMSs respectively) should be left for a second stage.

Future thought should also be given to Calgary-Edmonton (the 4th and 6th largest CMAs), but that would be a separate project.

Quote:
Given that:
  • Toronto-KW-London is about 200km,
  • Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal is about 600km,
  • Montreal-Quebec City is about 270km,
It would be about a 25% increase in scope from what was initially planned.

Quote:
Playing devils advocate, the GO project is an opportunity to co-ordinate efforts. GO would provide regional rail, where as VIA would provide intercity rail. Both are important as they serve different markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
How is the Toronto-Windsor part of the corridor any different than the Montreal-Quebec segment? If one should be a provincial responsibility, so should the other. Personally, I feel intercity rail travel should be the responsibility of VIA, even if it is all within one province. Regional rail should be a provincial responsibility.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 7:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I feel intercity rail travel should be the responsibility of VIA, even if it is all within one province. Regional rail should be a provincial responsibility.
Thanks for making that distinction.
Now that I think about it, if done right, the two actually complement, not compete with, one another. Via can then be viewed as a premium version of Go.

Quote:
Not for another 4 or 5 years

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for making that distinction.
Now that I think about it, if done right, the two actually complement, not compete with, one another. Via can then be viewed as a premium version of Go.

Not for another 4 or 5 years
HFR is further off than that, no?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
HFR is further off than that, no?
I hope not, but it's starting to look that way. If the government actually cares about tackling climate change and not just empty platitudes

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:34 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
I hope not, but it's starting to look that way. If the government actually cares about tackling climate change and not just empty platitudes
*laughs in cynical*

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Given that they still need to finish their environmental assessment, get approval, put the contract out for tender, do the engineering design, acquire the land, and build a few hundred kilometres of new track, 5 years would be incredibly fast. For the new trains (which are an existing design, it will be 4 years from budget approval to receiving the first train, and likely another year before they have them all, and that’s for a much easier project.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Given that they still need to finish their environmental assessment, get approval, put the contract out for tender, do the engineering design, acquire the land, and build a few hundred kilometres of new track, 5 years would be incredibly fast. For the new trains (which are an existing design, it will be 4 years from budget approval to receiving the first train, and likely another year before they have them all, and that’s for a much easier project.
They still haven't identified a route (an actual route, not a schematic with names of cities). They can't even start an environmental assessment.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
They still haven't identified a route (an actual route, not a schematic with names of cities). They can't even start an environmental assessment.
They already know the route based on existing or former rail corridors. They are working on the details including costing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
They already know the route based on existing or former rail corridors. They are working on the details including costing.
The existing and former rail corridors only make up part of the route. They have not identified how they are getting from Union (if they are using Union) to Agincourt, how they're getting from Havelock to Smith Falls (or if they are planning to convert the snowmobile trail into a class 6 railway, how they're going to do that, and how they are going to get from Glen Tay to Smith Falls), how they are going to get from Coteau to Central Station (assuming they are using central station) and how they are getting from Central Station to the start of the QGR North of the city. Nor have they identified how they are crossing Peterborough or the various towns along the route that have level crossings.

An environmental assessment needs some level of detail before they know what they are assessing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation