HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:09 PM

637 languages spoken in NYC!

http://elalliance.org/programs/maps/

Very cool map showing the sheer breadth of linguistic diversity in NYC. I
Would wager that only London could possibly rival this. Pretty crazy and a really fun map to explore. Jackson Heights in particular is astounding.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:27 PM

Our dialect is almost another language by itself.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:29 PM
An Optimistic Realist

New York is a microcosm of the world. I’m sure London or even Toronto may be close but I have yet to encounter any city that has this amount of diversity in such a small area.

As a result of this, the god awful airports in the tri-state area need to fucking step up their game yo.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:00 PM

The language map illustrates the particular diversity of the Mexican community in NYC.

Yes, the NYC Mexican community is smaller than in many other first-tier American metros, but it's quite unique, in that it's very heavily indigenous. This means that Native languages are almost as common as Spanish in NYC Mexican neighborhoods, and the culture is distinct from, say, Chicano culture in Cali or Texas.

NYC Mexicans, overwhelmingly, are from heavily indigenous southern Mexican states like Oaxaca, Puebla and Chiapas. They look different than, say, LA or Chicago Mexicans, who are heavily from the mestizo-dominated central Mexican states like Michoacan, Guanajuato and Jalisco.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:25 PM

One of the languages listed is “Canadian English”, so I’d probably turn down the level of detail by a notch or two.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:27 PM
if I sang out of tune

Hmmm the appearance of British English, Irish English, African American English, Nigerian English, Pakistani English, Jewish English, er Canadian English as seperate seems a bit skewed imo.

And THIS is a dialect, not an accent or one with a few odd replaced words:

Yorkshire dialect (not to be confused with the Yorkshire accent):

Singlish:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu

https://blog.spjain.org

Papua Pidgin

http://worldbibles.org/language_deta...Pidgin+English

Last edited by muppet; Dec 6, 2019 at 8:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
One of the languages listed is “Canadian English”, so I’d probably turn down the level of detail by a notch or two.
I mean they also did the same with Spanish. Mexican Spanish, Puerto Rican Spanish... We're talking minor differences, but this map includes Canadian English, and Mexican Spanish as separate languages. I agree. It's probably not 637 languages.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:52 PM
if I sang out of tune

I don't think a formal study's ever been done on London, except for the schoolkids back in the day speaking 300 languages (not dialects) at home, which has since been used as 'London speaks 300 languages'. I would hazard London speaks more thanks alone to the preponderence of its larger Indian and pan-African communities, the planet's two most diverse regions (not to mention London shows a more global spread among its foreign born/ immigrant contingents). Of London's two largest communities alone - India speaks over 700 languages (and 19,500 dialects), Nigeria 520. The European contingent contributes 90 languages by comparison.

Thankyou Nito!:

Last edited by muppet; Dec 7, 2019 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The language map illustrates the particular diversity of the Mexican community in NYC.

Yes, the NYC Mexican community is smaller than in many other first-tier American metros, but it's quite unique, in that it's very heavily indigenous. This means that Native languages are almost as common as Spanish in NYC Mexican neighborhoods, and the culture is distinct from, say, Chicano culture in Cali or Texas.

NYC Mexicans, overwhelmingly, are from heavily indigenous southern Mexican states like Oaxaca, Puebla and Chiapas. They look different than, say, LA or Chicago Mexicans, who are heavily from the mestizo-dominated central Mexican states like Michoacan, Guanajuato and Jalisco.
Dont forget Ciudad Neza, Edomex too hence the term Neza York!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:05 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Hmmm the apperance of British English, Irish English, African American English, Nigerian English, Pakistani English, Jewish English, er Canadian English as seperate seems a bit skewed imo.
Ya think?

That map is a hot ass mess.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:51 PM

Admittedly, I only did a cursory scan of the map, but I noted the absence of Jive.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:46 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Surely there's got to be at least a few Pig Latin speakers in New York as well, no?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
How dare you disrespect the uniqueness of Canadian English?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:56 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Admittedly, I only did a cursory scan of the map, but I noted the absence of Jive.
Oh stewardess...

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Credit where due muppet 😉

The above chart undoubtedly does a good job of demonstrating the actual diversity of the three cities brought up in this thread which probably goes a long way to ascertaining which city has the greater linguistic diversity.

London’s strong Indian and Nigeria populations certainly bring linguistic heft to the discussion; there are more people of Nigerian extract in London than there are Africans in either Toronto or New York for example. The real strength of London from a linguistic perspective however is its spread, its diversity is far less concentrated relative to New York and Toronto and there is more global representation in London which lends itself to increased linguistic diversity.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Oh stewardess...

Video Link
One of the funniest scenes in any movie....ever.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

where is the pig latin and the double dutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Credit where due muppet

The above chart undoubtedly does a good job of demonstrating the actual diversity of the three cities brought up in this thread which probably goes a long way to ascertaining which city has the greater linguistic diversity.

London’s strong Indian and Nigeria populations certainly bring linguistic heft to the discussion; there are more people of Nigerian extract in London than there are Africans in either Toronto or New York for example. The real strength of London from a linguistic perspective however is its spread, its diversity is far less concentrated relative to New York and Toronto and there is more global representation in London which lends itself to increased linguistic diversity.

whatever by region means to them, but even if true, no doubt the same bs brit dialects are included there as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 6:25 PM

The diversity really adds to the character of New York and Toronto.

London no longer feels English and has made the city quite boring and (dare I say it) American.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 8:39 AM
if I sang out of tune

London is waaay not boring. It's a multitude of pluralism - and bear in mind it still has about the same amount of White Brits as it did in the '80s >4 million. Plus the city was in haemorrhaging decline for 40 years after the war, going from 8.6 million to 6.4 million at its nadir, before people started arriving and moving back again. It's increased pluralism has absolutely saved the city.

If anything that's making the city more boring I'd target the astronomical rents and m/billionaire pads for the global elite that's pushing people out of the centre as droves sell on for a profit and retire to the suburbs. London is now going through a 'White flight' 'Asian flight' Caribbean flight' 'Jewish flight'. The demographics we're worried about is not so much certain ethnicities but classes we're losing, the middle and working classes are being priced out, which is a death knell for a city to function.

Last edited by muppet; Dec 7, 2019 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:26 PM

They're wholly related issues. London has dropped to 40% indigenous and whiped out the lower classes. Tokyo is 95% indigenous and is arguably the most affordable world city.

London lost its edge and its soul. Now it's just another boring global city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions