HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:02 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

As our transit system is in dire need of revision, due to overcrowded buses/pass-ups, buses that don't show up, show up at non-scheduled times, the quicker the TMP gets implemented, whether its all at once or just the easy parts, the better. I don't think Winnipeggers can wait a quarter century to have any of it implemented.

The route tweaks can happen over a 25-year span. We've got to start from somewhere. Implementing the Frequent Service and moving the suburban feeders back to the 'burbs should be the first priorities.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:27 PM

Motion to allow multi-passenger cars into diamond lanes

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/sharing-...ipeg-1.4696245

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Motion to allow multi-passenger cars into diamond lanes

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/sharing-...ipeg-1.4696245
Haha, honestly, if they allow this they might as well just scrap diamond lanes altogether.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha, honestly, if they allow this they might as well just scrap diamond lanes altogether.
Such nonsense. Cause transit is so efficient right now. I messaged my counselor about it. Seeing as I'm still waiting for replies on anything else I've sent over the years, I won't hold my breath

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Have you seen how few vehicles on the roads actually have more the one passenger?

Allowing taxi/ride sharing vehicles to use diamond lanes even when not running with a passenger on board likely had a more significant impacted on the diamond lanes than this proposal would.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Have you seen how few vehicles on the roads actually have more the one passenger?

Allowing taxi/ride sharing vehicles to use diamond lanes even when not running with a passenger on board likely had a more significant impacted on the diamond lanes than this proposal would.
Not a chance.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Not a chance.
Would the three passenger rule really alter anyone’s behaviour or would it just let people driving their kids somewhere get there faster? I’m having a hard time believing that Winnipeg traffic is so consistently bad that people would suddenly start carpooling to take advantage of this.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:48 PM

I hope Nason and Klein get egged. Dumb fucking idea. Allowing taxis in the diamond lanes was bad enough – I didn't even know that got made a permanent thing. Was the public consulted at all in this?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I hope Nason and Klein get egged. Dumb fucking idea. Allowing taxis in the diamond lanes was bad enough – I didn't even know that got made a permanent thing. Was the public consulted at all in this?
I emailed a few counsellors on this. Allards assistant is the only one to reply. Basically said he told Nasan that they had informally looked at this a few years back and it wasn't viable, but that Nason decided to pursue it anyway. Allard won't be supporting it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:07 PM

On cars in the diamond lane. Since 300 main started and they seemingly have removed the diamond lane provisions on Main at Graham. Cars are always in the lane holding up buses from turning. Every single day. Let's focus on getting things right before we start allowing taxis to stand there while dropping people, etc.

Never mind the fact that our proposed transit network changes will rely heavily on diamond and/or transit priority lanes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Would the three passenger rule really alter anyone’s behaviour or would it just let people driving their kids somewhere get there faster? I’m having a hard time believing that Winnipeg traffic is so consistently bad that people would suddenly start carpooling to take advantage of this.
That's exactly the idea. Ever heard of a HOV lane?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlp89 View Post
That's exactly the idea. Ever heard of a HOV lane?
He knows the idea, he's questioning if it would change anyone's habits in the city of Winnipeg where traffic is not that bad. This isn't Toronto or Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:59 PM

It wouldn't change anything. Just bung up the lane for transit.

Winnipeg traffic is not even bad. People are just whiny, entitled babies.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It wouldn't change anything. Just bung up the lane for transit.

Winnipeg traffic is not even bad. People are just whiny, entitled babies.
Perhaps not the most delicate way of putting it, but 100% true

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 10:16 PM

As much as people yearn for a freeway system to speed of commutes. Spending an extra 10 mins to travel the length of Bishop Grandin is nothing. Go to a major city with real traffic problems, such as LA, and then we'll talk about Winnipeg traffic.

To me its more about safety. Eliminating intersections on high speed routes.

People in Winnipeg don't realty get that, for some reason. Weather related delays are more of an issue in winter. Nothing to do with the road itself. Having HOV lanes won't help any of that.

Wrong thread for this topic. I don't really want to get into anyways. We can argue forever about it haha

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:44 AM

I see enough vehicles illegally using the diamond lanes going north on Main from Marion to Broadway every day. Adding HOV lanes would just make everyone feel entitled, HOV or single.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Neither Nason or Klien come across exactly as the sharpest knives in the drawer, it's sad so few smart people get into civic politics and we end up with dimwits like these two!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Neither Nason or Klien come across exactly as the sharpest knives in the drawer, it's sad so few smart people get into civic politics and we end up with dimwits like these two!
This is true – was just having that conversation yesterday. There's really no incentive to being a city councillor when your counterparts in Administration make as much or more than you, and don't have to be subject to the spotlight and ridicule.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

I know this may not be popular but I was walking down the paths of the recently opened portion of RT and I much prefer the lighting in the new section. It is much brighter then the old RT section, the brighter lights really makes you more confident walking around there in the evening.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:30 PM

There are some minor deficiencies at some locations on the new pathway, in terms of lighting. They will be adding more lights to correct this. Mostly just one lamp here and one there type thing.

But overall I've heard the same. makes it much more inviting in the dark. Especially in the areas parallel to the transitway. Lots of light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan