HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 8:26 PM

I'd just like to vent for a moment, if you don't like what I have to say just skip over it please.

I'm getting really tired of downtown phoenix. Everything has been under construction for months and in the past week it's become exponentially worse. I predict it will get even worse in the coming months.

Roosevelt is closed for resurfacing causing traffic to congest streets that can't handle traffic, like McKinley. This is a window into what it will be like if they remove that center lane.

I went to Fry's to make a salad for lunch. Can't take McKinley to Central since it's closed between 3rd and 2nd. McKinley is also closed again between Central and 1st Ave. Central is also barricaded around Rooesvelt. Did I mention when I go to the basketball games it takes on average of about 30 minutes to get from 7th Ave to 1st Street on Jefferson? There's not really a better way around it. Jefferson is barricaded around Block 23 and the other night it was restricted around 3rd Avenue as well. 5th Avenue around Van Buren is down to one lane.

I'm so sick of navigating construction multiple times on short trips. It's for the best, I know that. We don't need to argue about the reason for the construction, I am aware it's growing pains. I can still be sick of dealing with it and try to avoid the city until further notice.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'd just like to vent for a moment, if you don't like what I have to say just skip over it please.

I'm getting really tired of downtown phoenix. Everything has been under construction for months and in the past week it's become exponentially worse. I predict it will get even worse in the coming months.

Roosevelt is closed for resurfacing causing traffic to congest streets that can't handle traffic, like McKinley. This is a window into what it will be like if they remove that center lane.

I went to Fry's to make a salad for lunch. Can't take McKinley to Central since it's closed between 3rd and 2nd. McKinley is also closed again between Central and 1st Ave. Central is also barricaded around Rooesvelt. Did I mention when I go to the basketball games it takes on average of about 30 minutes to get from 7th Ave to 1st Street on Jefferson? There's not really a better way around it. Jefferson is barricaded around Block 23 and the other night it was restricted around 3rd Avenue as well. 5th Avenue around Van Buren is down to one lane.

I'm so sick of navigating construction multiple times on short trips. It's for the best, I know that. We don't need to argue about the reason for the construction, I am aware it's growing pains. I can still be sick of dealing with it and try to avoid the city until further notice.
Sounds like its time to bite the bullet and move off to the suburbs for you grandpa.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:15 PM

I moved out of downtown three years ago, still have my office here though. For now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I moved out of downtown three years ago, still have my office here though. For now.
Its the double edged sword of growth. we all want the city to grow but in the prospect of doing so some of the things about it will be lost.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Welcome to big city growing pains.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:

It's at similar levels in DT Tempe, between the crunch from State Farm traffic, street car construction and new buildings.

Obviously not telling you what to do, everyone's situation is different, but for myself, I have never been happier to use a bicycle for personal transportation. I don't even notice the construction for the most part. It's sort of shocking to me that with as much of a hassle as it is to navigate downtown Tempe construction by car, the lake path I generally use still has very few bike commuters.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

A place that is easy to drive in and out of all the time probably isn't worth visiting, and I doubt the removal of the center turn lane on west Roosevelt will bring about carmageddon. Most of the traffic I see on that street during peak hours is going all the way between 1st and 7th avenues, and the city is maintaining the turn lanes at the two busiest intersections, 3rd and 5th avenues.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A place that is easy to drive in and out of all the time probably isn't worth visiting, and I doubt the removal of the center turn lane on west Roosevelt will bring about carmageddon. Most of the traffic I see on that street during peak hours is going all the way between 1st and 7th avenues, and the city is maintaining the turn lanes at the two busiest intersections, 3rd and 5th avenues.
Exactly. Having a shared bike lane with bicyclist riding in the lane will slow traffic more than an occasional left turn. Not all bikers can ride at 20 mph. Most will be casual riders probably riding in the range of 9-11 mph.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Drove to the new Frys, parked in the spacious garage, went in a few items. Surprised at how nice and stocked that store is. It was as easy in and out of nearly every grocery store you can go to.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
Drove to the new Frys, parked in the spacious garage, went in a few items. Surprised at how nice and stocked that store is. It was as easy in and out of nearly every grocery store you can go to.
Does anyone know how much garage was dedicated for Fry's only? When I went there on opening day, the garage had very, very few cars parked and the Fry's was packed. Seems like more parking was added than what was needed for the building even with the upcoming office space. Certainly, the Fry's will not need that much.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:51 PM
Skyriser

I would be hard pressed to consider an office building in Phoenix to be overparked, even one downtown.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:57 PM

It's pretty hard to judge whether the parking is too little, just right, or too much with no tenant except a grocery store.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 9:54 PM

They only have that one floor, but I think that’s for retail as well. I would of thought they would have needed two floors. If your going shopping for a lot of groceries I would think it would still make sense to drive even if you live at Cityscape Residences, 44 Monroe, The Summit or any other near by apartments. When I’ve been there there seemed to be a lot of office workers checking it out getting a few items. I have a little kart that I use to bring groceries from my parking garage to my apartment. I don’t see myself pushing a kart to say, The Link or The Stewart though. I wonder why the parking lot seems pretty empty, idk.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
They only have that one floor, but I think that’s for retail as well. I would of thought they would have needed two floors. If your going shopping for a lot of groceries I would think it would still make sense to drive even if you live at Cityscape Residences, 44 Monroe, The Summit or any other near by apartments. When I’ve been there there seemed to be a lot of office workers checking it out getting a few items. I have a little kart that I use to bring groceries from my parking garage to my apartment. I don’t see myself pushing a kart to say, The Link or The Stewart though. I wonder why the parking lot seems pretty empty, idk.
I think breaking up your shopping runs throughout the week is key for urban dwellers. Instead of doing a large run every few weeks, requiring trunk space to handle the volume of your purchase, you get essentials throughout the week or as you run out. You’ll be going to the grocery more frequently, but you can fit what you need in a backpack or carry it a few blocks.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 12:34 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I think breaking up your shopping runs throughout the week is key for urban dwellers. Instead of doing a large run every few weeks, requiring trunk space to handle the volume of your purchase, you get essentials throughout the week or as you run out. You’ll be going to the grocery more frequently, but you can fit what you need in a backpack or carry it a few blocks.
And get some more exercise doing it

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
And get some more exercise doing it
Gotta get those thicc legs somehow!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Certainly thats the idea. But if you like to get say a case of bottled water, I’m not going to carry that to even Cityscape.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:56 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Certainly thats the idea. But if you like to get say a case of bottled water, I’m not going to carry that to even Cityscape.
The simple solution to that is to not buy bottled water.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 12:47 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The simple solution to that is to not buy bottled water.
Sure ain't going to drink Phoenix tap water

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-DUDE-MAN View Post
Hopefully midtown and downtown Phoenix will all just be connected and be one big skyline with the tallest towers right around the middle over top of the park/surrounding the park and I-10 tunnel. How cool would that be? The freeway going right under skyscrapers. Man, this might never happen or be 50 years down the road.
We still have a very long way to go. Taken this morning:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest