HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:19 PM

That's promising. I didn't see those numbers anywhere. is there a link?

I would of course walk the extra distance. Less able people will have a harder time though.

I guess the point is to provide better reliability on less routes, people need to go further.

I saw a lot of comments on the social media, which of course is not a very good source. But they were mostly things like "DO NOT TOUCH THE 16". Don't change my route, etc, etc. Well in the end every single route will be changed.

We'll see how things go with phase 2 of public engagement.

Edit: 83% of people would walk further.
https://winnipegtransit.com/assets/2...ort__FINAL.pdf
Page 34.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
With the proposed routes, I'd need 2 transfers to make it downtown. Or walk an extra 2-3 blocks to get to a frequent route that gets me downtown.
How do you figure that you'd need 2 transfers to make it downtown? Every one of the proposed feeder routes connects to a downtown route (usually to several different downtown routes), so it should never take more than one transfer to get downtown from anywhere in the city:

Feeder - Connecting routes to downtown
131 - A R
132 - A C
133 - B G N Q T
20 - B C F I J N
232 - A J K L Q T
233 - A J K L
234 - A C Q
235 - A C Q
30 - A I J K L Q T
31 - B E I
331, 332, 333 - I
40 - B C E F I N
41 - B E I
43 - C F N
45 - C T
431 - C T
432 - F N
433 - C T
434 - C F N
435 - C N
51 - B E F G
52 - B E G
530 - B E
531 - N Q T
532, 533 - E
534 - B E G
60 - A C Q R
61 - A B E F I Q T
62 - C F
66 - A C R
67 - A
641, 642, 649, 650, 662, 671, 672, 676, 677 - A

The only one that's slightly unclear is the western end of the 435 route, but I assume this extends along Talbot to connect to the N and C routes. The map is really bad at showing places where multiple lines overlap on the same street.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:36 PM

That's exactly the route I'm on. I'd need to transfer 2 times or walk more. Maybe the map is just bad I dont know.

Right now I take either the 43 or 44 downtown from basically door to door.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:24 PM

https://winnipegtransit.com/assets/2...er_network.pdf

Checking the feeder route map again. It looks like I should be able to get to the N line and only transfer once at Talbot and Watt. Will follow up with that at the open house event I plan to attend.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:05 PM
BANNED

city is looking for multi year budget feedback if you want to tell them so slash the police budget and devote it partially to transit instead

https://winnipeg.ca/Interhom/Budget/...et/default.stm

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:17 PM

The City is slashing everything in the budget. They're turning off street lights ffs!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:43 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
city is looking for multi year budget feedback if you want to tell them so slash the police budget and devote it partially to transit instead

https://winnipeg.ca/Interhom/Budget/...et/default.stm
Quote:
The City is slashing everything in the budget. They're turning off street lights ffs!!
One step forward, two steps BACK! Oh no!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...dget-1.5358366

Quote:
Infrastructure renewal and public works chair Matt Allard (St. Boniface) asked transit staff what kind of fare increase would be needed to eliminate the need for such extensive cuts to services and equipment.
He was told a 25-cent fare hike would raise approximately $6 million a year, enough to prevent only one year of cutbacks in the four-year plan.

After OK'ing the Low Income Transit Pass and (I think) allowing up to 11 year olds to ride for FREE, and spending a half billion on "rapid transit", the money has to come from somewhere. The working class will end up paying $3.25 if they pay Cash. Some of those will say "screw this, I'm buyin' my own car". This will surely lead to more road congestion rate, higher than since 2008.

Last edited by LilZebra; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Where are they turning them off?

I recall reading on a report to the EKTCC a few years ago that MB Hydro had a backlog on doing repairs on strings of lights that are off in Winnipeg and they didn't think at that time it was going to get better.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:57 AM

Quote:
It is insane how many lights are out (and have been for years) on Portage, and Main. Is the city just going to wait 3 years til this new lighting plan is out to change some bulbs?

Like if you haven't found an LED replacement for the orange sodium bulbs yet, then just keep using the old ones til you do. It looks so bad, and it's so dark in some places.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:21 PM

I get the impression that leaving lights off is one of the only ways that Public Works gets to play the scary draconian cuts card... there are probably more effective ways to save a few bucks, but turning a noticeable number of lights out makes it publicly visible.

The other departments don't have the same super emotional hot button negotiation strategies that the police and firefighters do, so they have to resort to this kind of thing.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:24 PM

Apparently they've been doing this for years. But I've never noticed.

From my understanding they would turn off every second light type thing. Or every third light. Seems they would need to do this manually.

But ya, this is like the first offer. The budget consultations. They'll end up somewhere in the middle. All of this of course caused by the Province's reduction in various funding streams.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:43 AM

Since the weather was wonderful, I wanted to go shopping today by bus. Unfortunately, I forgot that tonight was the Santa Claus Parade. Bus service was awful to get to Hudson's Bay Downtown. Winnipeg Transit and the City did not take sufficient measures to ensure that Transit moved smoothly with the detours. On my way home, the were 4 Route 11 Kildonan buses in a row, some were over an hour late compared to the regular Saturday schedule. I felt that for example ELLICE AVE east of Colony/Balmoral should have been made temporarily transit only to ensure decent transit service

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Since the weather was wonderful, I wanted to go shopping today by bus. Unfortunately, I forgot that tonight was the Santa Claus Parade. Bus service was awful to get to Hudson's Bay Downtown. Winnipeg Transit and the City did not take sufficient measures to ensure that Transit moved smoothly with the detours. On my way home, the were 4 Route 11 Kildonan buses in a row, some were over an hour late compared to the regular Saturday schedule. I felt that for example ELLICE AVE east of Colony/Balmoral should have been made temporarily transit only to ensure decent transit service
A checked earlier tonight and some buses were running 1.5 hours behind scheduled.
As of 11 pm tonight, I notice that a bunch of 11 runs going to North Kildonan were cancelled.
The 11 Glenway leaving Polo Park at 11:16 is now schedule to leave Polo Park at 11:48

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
A checked earlier tonight and some buses were running 1.5 hours behind scheduled.
As of 11 pm tonight, I notice that a bunch of 11 runs going to North Kildonan were cancelled.
The 11 Glenway leaving Polo Park at 11:16 is now schedule to leave Polo Park at 11:48
Santa Claus Parade was expected to impact transit service during the 9 hours of reroutes from 14:30 to about 23:00 according to the news release the city sent out. What you saw was probably the tail end of the impact

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:24 AM

Yikes! Edmontonians are complaining about their equivalent of the Transit Master Plan. It recommends eliminating 100 routes, from 240 down to 140. Had "two dozen" individuals show up to their "Urban Planning" committee to complain/vent.

The rollout of the ETS routes starts (tentatively) next August. Ours will probably start by November next, if ours doesn't hit a snag.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...work-1.5365750

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmont..._Service#Plans

Last edited by LilZebra; Nov 20, 2019 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
The rollout of the ETS routes starts (tentatively) next August. Ours will probably start by November next
Do you have a source for that (next November)? Our master plan depends pretty heavily on the provision of rapid transit infrastructure on Portage Avenue and Main Street. If they tried to implement the plan without actually providing that infrastructure, it would be a disaster. I guess there are some bits and pieces of the plan that could be implemented sooner, but most of it is heavily dependent on the proposed core network.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Do you have a source for that (next November)? Our master plan depends pretty heavily on the provision of rapid transit infrastructure on Portage Avenue and Main Street. If they tried to implement the plan without actually providing that infrastructure, it would be a disaster. I guess there are some bits and pieces of the plan that could be implemented sooner, but most of it is heavily dependent on the proposed core network.

Just an assumption, based on the length of time other TMPs have been done elsewhere. They don't really need to do much at the start, just perhaps do better enforcement of the diamond lanes on Portage Ave. and have that diamond lane operate for a substantial part of the day.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:26 PM
Formerly rypinion

I didn't get the impression that the master plan relied on any infrastructure changes. I think people are taking the "rapid" terminology the wrong way, but I could be wrong.

The whole point of these things is how do we fix transit routes without having to do anything other than changing the routes themselves (and signage, etc.).

Here's another example of it done:

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ership/496313/

Quote:
These numbers suggest the agency is on its way, and it isn’t done yet—officials are starting to think about how to build on the new network with more specialized routes and bus rapid transit.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I didn't get the impression that the master plan relied on any infrastructure changes. I think people are taking the "rapid" terminology the wrong way, but I could be wrong.

The whole point of these things is how do we fix transit routes without having to do anything other than changing the routes themselves (and signage, etc.).

Here's another example of it done:

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ership/496313/
There is no way that the downtown section of Portage is adequate as a transit backbone in its current form. There would need to be a completely dedicated lane for buses to make up for the loss of Graham Avenue. Using Portage in its current state would mean paralyzing the southwest transitway service every afternoon rush hour.

Also the proposed downtown network relies pretty heavily on Portage & Main as a transfer point, and with our current infrastructure it's not even possible for buses to stop there.

I'm not saying they have to build a transitway, but the current infrastructure on Portage Avenue and Main Street will need some upgrading before it can reliably be used as a spine for the three proposed RT routes.

The rest of the proposed network can be implemented without infrastructure changes, but without a reliable core of RT routes to connect to, I don't think it's going to work out very well.

The planning documents describe it as a 25-year plan.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:21 PM

I think people need to understand what a "master plan" is. It's not the same as the more immediate bus network redesign that was done in Houston. It's more like the master plan for a university campus or an expressway network: a long-term vision of the overall goals. It won't be implemented overnight and its actual implementation will likely differ from the details given in the plan. Its function is to serve as a guide for future development of the transit system.

"The Winnipeg Transit Master Plan will provide a 25-year vision for our transit system and identify the steps we need to take to get there. It will be a long-term, system-wide plan" (source)

The master plan is scheduled to go to council in Spring 2020, but that's just to approve it as a master plan (i.e. a statement of goals for the next 25 years), nothing to do with actual implementation. How much of it gets implemented, and when, and how -- those questions are not even being conceived yet. Hopefully we'll see significant changes soon, but it certainly won't be as soon as November (I hope to be wrong, but...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan